January 18 transfer window

SKD

Wilshire would be our best sicknote signing since David Connolly, just that theres a massive difference in the context of their signings not to mention transfer fee and wages. Would be a 'no' from me, although bringing Walcott back - subject to wages - would be a good move.

Why is it we think a new signing would perform to potential when next to no one else is? Wouldn't it just mean more changes each week?

I mean it's not like everyone is rubbish. Yet VVD, Cedric, Hoedt, Bertrand, Romeu, Tadic, Redmond, Gabbiadini and even Lemina at times have all struggled. That's an insane level of underperformance.

Is it coaching? Tactics? Not wanting to be here? Disliking the manager? Incoherent selections? Negative football?

None of those will be rectified with a signing.

You have a point, but surely you cannot deny there are also some serious deficiencies in our squad?

It's quite obvious that the first-choice players we have in some positions are simply not good enough and need upgrading. Specifically Forster, Redmond and Davis.

We also badly need a striker who is capable of being a target man in the way that Austin, Gabbiadini and Long are not, and who is fit enough to play every week.

You have a point, but surely you cannot deny there are also some serious deficiencies in our squad?

It's quite obvious that the first-choice players we have in some positions are simply not good enough and need upgrading. Specifically Forster, Redmond and Davis.

We also badly need a striker who is capable of being a target man in the way that Austin, Gabbiadini and Long are not, and who is fit enough to play every week.

While you are totally right about these, I think the issue is that they shouldn't be starting even with our current bunch of players (ok, the Forster situation is definitely a problem, but the club seem so oblivious to it I have given up hope!) I was composing a detailed message about having good players and not being able to fit them all into a system etc, but even then I started having my doubts whether that's true. Our team is good, and I'm not sure there are many positions that need improving. It's our tactics and style of play (in other words, the manager). Going off on a bit of a tangent to your post:

Defenders: Only potential weakness here is reserve full backs.

Defensive midfielders: Can't see we need any of these, with Romeu & Lemina, Hojbjerg showing signs of improvement, and Davis and JWP as last-resort back ups.

Wide/attacking midfielders: Probably our weakest area, but only because different combinations don't seem to work. I would prefer to see Boufal and Tadic on the pitch, but neither of them are suited (at least I don't think Boufal is?) to wide-right, so you either play one out of position, or you play JWP/Redmond instead, or you play JWP/Redmond as well and drop Gabbiadini or Austin. But then, the manager persists on playing Tadic right and Redmond left, so all this analysis is futile.

Forwards: A target man would be a different option for us, but I think Austin and Gabbiadini are both good enough forwards. Austin is scoring, and anyone who was at Stamford Bridge would have seen a quality player in MG totally isolated for most of the game. Long gives an option for certain scenarios.

How about the fella that created this goal?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HVb3NfTf7P8

Hope he comes back soon and starts seeing some first team action.

Of course, Boufal also plays in a similar way (he's the only other player I can imagine making that run). And if we're talking a "level down Christian Eriksen equivalent", then I immediately think of Tadic...

While you are totally right about these, I think the issue is that they shouldn't be starting even with our current bunch of players (ok, the Forster situation is definitely a problem, but the club seem so oblivious to it I have given up hope!) I was composing a detailed message about having good players and not being able to fit them all into a system etc, but even then I started having my doubts whether that's true. Our team is good, and I'm not sure there are many positions that need improving. It's our tactics and style of play (in other words, the manager). Going off on a bit of a tangent to your post:

Defenders: Only potential weakness here is reserve full backs.

Defensive midfielders: Can't see we need any of these, with Romeu & Lemina, Hojbjerg showing signs of improvement, and Davis and JWP as last-resort back ups.

Wide/attacking midfielders: Probably our weakest area, but only because different combinations don't seem to work. I would prefer to see Boufal and Tadic on the pitch, but neither of them are suited (at least I don't think Boufal is?) to wide-right, so you either play one out of position, or you play JWP/Redmond instead, or you play JWP/Redmond as well and drop Gabbiadini or Austin. But then, the manager persists on playing Tadic right and Redmond left, so all this analysis is futile.

Forwards: A target man would be a different option for us, but I think Austin and Gabbiadini are both good enough forwards. Austin is scoring, and anyone who was at Stamford Bridge would have seen a quality player in MG totally isolated for most of the game. Long gives an option for certain scenarios.

very true if we had a decent manager we would be hanging off the top 6 IMO

Hope he comes back soon and starts seeing some first team action.

Of course, Boufal also plays in a similar way (he's the only other player I can imagine making that run). And if we're talking a "level down Christian Eriksen equivalent", then I immediately think of Tadic...

Played half hour for the 23's last night I think !

Played half hour for the 23's last night I think !

Post match interview here: https://southamptonfc.com/news/2017-12-19/video-reaction-josh-sims-southampton-under-23s-reading

Match highlights (although no clips of Sims in action as far as I can tell): https://southamptonfc.com/news/2017-12-18/highlights-southampton-under-23s-reading-premier-league-2

Edited by trousers

How about the man who oversaw and planned this? Exhilerating football that we wont be seeing for many years again IMO

If 25% possession with 1 shot on target (vs there 13) is "exhilerating football" then im happy to pass for many years.

Personally id describe it as a smash n grab.

Sorry to breathe reality into your foggy memories Nick

Wilshire struggled to make the Boscombe side last season, he’s injury prone and would probably break our pay structure. Why on earth would anyone think he’s a decent buy?

There was an interesting analysis of his time at Bournemouth on (I think) MNF, suggesting that Howe used ordinary players as cogs in a machine while Wilshere was a star who's used to a different machine and couldn't integrate. For me it's moot anyway because there's no way he's going to sign for us.

I have no idea who we should sign because I only watch the Premier League.

One signing will make us a massively improved team. We need a proper Mane replacement. A Zaha/Walcott/Richarlison type player that's constantly getting into space and getting in behind.

Your right and we thought NR would be that player. Sadly it has not worked out.

Your right and we thought NR would be that player. Sadly it has not worked out.

But who thought he would be that player, he was sh** at Norwich and couldn't get in a relegated team and he's a cr** here, only reason he got signed was Les saw the sell on fee as he's young and English

Edited by danjosaint

But who thought he would be that player, he was sh** at Norwich and couldn't get in a relegated team and he's a cr** here, only reason he got signed was Les saw the sell on fee as he's young and English

Exactly - at best he had potential. Him scoring against us at Carrow Road and then that screamer in the Toulon tournament for the U21s probably convinced Les. The best game he's ever had for us was against Liverpool at Anfield in the semi final - was a real threat when he actually ran at players. Unfortunately, he never really does that anymore and doesn't have the footballing brain or close control/passing to play a more cultured game (in the way that someone like AOC can even given his usefulness as a speed merchant).

Why is it we think a new signing would perform to potential when next to no one else is? Wouldn't it just mean more changes each week?

I mean it's not like everyone is rubbish. Yet VVD, Cedric, Hoedt, Bertrand, Romeu, Tadic, Redmond, Gabbiadini and even Lemina at times have all struggled. That's an insane level of underperformance.

Is it coaching? Tactics? Not wanting to be here? Disliking the manager? Incoherent selections? Negative football?

None of those will be rectified with a signing.

You assume the current manager it to blame, despite a similar performance to the last manager? Who has achieved far more at Leicester? The squad is either not good enough, not clicking, or not trying (in parts). I don't think the manager is guilty of anything other than not all the players are playing for him... and if they don't want to be here that will be the same with any manager.

If 25% possession with 1 shot on target (vs there 13) is "exhilerating football" then im happy to pass for many years.

Personally id describe it as a smash n grab.

Sorry to breathe reality into your foggy memories Nick

conveniently forgot the home game, get the stats up for that.

You assume the current manager it to blame, despite a similar performance to the last manager? Who has achieved far more at Leicester? The squad is either not good enough, not clicking, or not trying (in parts). I don't think the manager is guilty of anything other than not all the players are playing for him... and if they don't want to be here that will be the same with any manager.

Although I believe Pellegrino is a poor manager and we are in trouble with him at the helm, I do think this is a legitimate argument/concern. That being said, against Chelsea I didn't see a lack of effort, but a better test of that will be vs Huddersfield.

I do wonder though - say we appointed Guardiola, Mourinho or Klopp next week. (Bear with me). Do you think the players would respond to them? Or do you think they'd still be thinking "I don't want to be part of this, I want to leave"? I think they'd be enthused by the manager, and even if they thought the long term future was elsewhere, they would at least be motivated in the short term. Obviously it's fanciful to imagine a manager of that calibre joining us, but surely (if you agree) that would suggest that a manager is capable of engaging the players to an extent, and therefore any case of the team not clicking or trying is at least partly down to the coaching staff.

Although I believe Pellegrino is a poor manager and we are in trouble with him at the helm, I do think this is a legitimate argument/concern. That being said, against Chelsea I didn't see a lack of effort, but a better test of that will be vs Huddersfield.

I do wonder though - say we appointed Guardiola, Mourinho or Klopp next week. (Bear with me). Do you think the players would respond to them? Or do you think they'd still be thinking "I don't want to be part of this, I want to leave"? I think they'd be enthused by the manager, and even if they thought the long term future was elsewhere, they would at least be motivated in the short term. Obviously it's fanciful to imagine a manager of that calibre joining us, but surely (if you agree) that would suggest that a manager is capable of engaging the players to an extent, and therefore any case of the team not clicking or trying is at least partly down to the coaching staff.

You are right in this, and i see your point even though we can both agree we aren't getting a world class manager. But some of this squad appear to not be interested, and seem to only be trying vs the big clubs to get a move etc imho.

Know for a fact we're keen on Giroud. Very keen. He's not as interested though.

Walcott is a non-starter

Long likely to leave.

ITK? Giroud seems unlikely as wouldn't join Everton in Aug even with the dosh on offer there. Encouraging if we are looking at that calibre of player though. Wonder why Theo a non-starter?

Long not a surprise but good option away and best display of season v City. Will need to make a few signings with pace if we sell him though as already need a couple with those attributes. Would keep Gabbiadini as will come alive again surrounded by pace and movement but have a feeling he may be off as well.

Long likely to leave.

from my point of view that is good news as it will free up a squad place. Get him off our wage bill and look to upgrade in that area with someone that poses a real threat. I love his work rate, but that is not enough at this level.

That would be such misspent money. Giroud is better than Austin yes, but he's not going to score without service and won't get half the chances he does at Arsenal. You'd basically be spending a fortune to upgrade a 10-12 goal striker to a 12-15 striker at our level.

We need more competition in attacking midfield/wide areas.

But again, all pointless unless there's a manager to get something out of them. I'd expect Messi to turn rubbish after a week here.

Very good points.

We need to refresh the creative midfielders, and get a manager in who knows how to set a team up to win.

Risky business. If we get VVD money lets not buy more mediocre. Would rather keep it in case we get relegated, clear out the rubbish and rebuild for promotion.

I am reminded of how Spurs blew the Bale money on over-priced mediocrity.

We sit here at Christmas, sat a perilous 3 points above the relegation zone, and our only player capable of scoring is out with a hamstring for the next number of weeks. The forthcoming transfer window is perhaps the most important ever in Saint's history.

Risky business. If we get VVD money lets not buy more mediocre. Would rather keep it in case we get relegated, clear out the rubbish and rebuild for promotion.

Christ on a bike you’re ****ing relentless aren’t you !

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk