January 18 transfer window

SKD

I'm sure a lot of us still find it very frustrating that some fans blindly trust the club.

We're linked to an injured striker no one particularly wants (i.e. - unlikely to set the world alight, and overpriced), and another PR drip feed that has a similar credibility to Sturridge (and less than theo).

Add this to every single summer since Poch left and it doesn't paint a very good picture of our club's transfer abilities

Really? #factcheck

I’m sure 5here are plenty who chuckle at the paranoia of fans who think the Club waste time massaging the ego of a gullible fan base. Thank goodness for the pitchfork brigade who are watching out for those of us less able.

So have we signed the 5 pledges or any sponsorship deals in China yet? These are the signings I'm really looking forward to

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

We offered £26 for two pitchforks by the offer was rejected as 'derisory'

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Sorry got it from this tweet https://twitter.com/RealKevinPalmer/status/955826529963003904

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

I remember from the VVD nonsense in the summer that Palmer seemed to distribute his information between Yahoo, the Irish Independent and some other Irish rag. His Yahoo articles never had an author listed on them, and he always linked to them via Twitter. Usually an Irish Independent article followed the same day, attributed to him with slightly different or more info.

He seemed well-connected on VVD.

As to the reported “lavish” £30M asking price, he described VVD’s asking price in the same manner back in December. Can’t really blame Liverpool for attempting to fleece the team that has fleeced them for so much money particularly after the VVD transfer. Still the asking price is too steep for a crocked player. Sort of reminds me of their approach to offloading perma-crock Sakho, last season.

BRIGHTON KEEN ON MITROVIC

Brighton are interested in Newcastle striker Aleksandar Mitrovic, according to Sky sources.

One source has told us a bid has already been made for the player.

We reported on Sunday that West Brom were also interested in signing the Serb.

Brighton are interested in Newcastle striker Aleksandar Mitrovic, according to Sky sources.

One source has told us a bid has already been made for the

And he scores on his debut against us

It's not often I jump to Alpine's defence because I generally think he's a misguided twonk.

However, as he's on Central European time, he's an hour ahead so there's less time to sign players in the day....

What time are Saints fc working on?

Sent from my SM-J330FN using Tapatalk

One source has told us a bid has already been made for the player.

Bet he would link up well with tadic

Sent from my BG2-W09 using Tapatalk

I remember from the VVD nonsense in the summer that Palmer seemed to distribute his information between Yahoo, the Irish Independent and some other Irish rag. His Yahoo articles never had an author listed on them, and he always linked to them via Twitter. Usually an Irish Independent article followed the same day, attributed to him with slightly different or more info.

As to the reported “lavish” £30M asking price, he described VVD’s asking price in the same manner back in December. Can’t really blame Liverpool for attempting to fleece the team that has fleeced them for so much money particularly after the VVD transfer. Still the asking price is too steep for a crocked player. Sort of reminds me of their approach to offloading perma-crock Sakho, last season.

I expect Palmer has good contacts at SFC, he used to write for the club, not sure if he still does.

The Sturridge one was clearly a possibility much earlier in the window. I think Wilson mentioned it and then later said it wouldn't happen.

These things are very fluid. We have probably enquired about 20 or 30 players.

Carrillo is clearly a main target. Promes I am far less convinced on the liklihood of that.

For those saying we won't sign anyone, we obviously will. They just might not be that good if we don't get the ones nesr the top of our list.

It also doesn't really matter if its today, tomorrow, Saturday, Monday etc as long as we bring in quality.

Not sure Palmer said anything of note on VVD. His articles were always a tease -promised a lot but basically said very little.

Not sure Palmer said anything of note on VVD. His articles were always a tease -promised a lot but basically said very little.

He seemed to be pretty good at regurgitating the same info in multiple articles over time. I thought at the time that VVD’s complaints in his transfer request letter about private discussions with Les and the Saints board being leaked to the media, were provoked by Palmer’s articles.

If there's any truth in that Sturridge article, why on Earth didn't we make it a condition of selling VvD that we got Sturridge on our terms? i.e. loan + option to buy.

Given how desperate Liverpool we're to sign VvD, surely we were in pole position at the negotiating table?

On the surface, it does seem we're a tad naive/soft when it comes to player negotiations.

Of course, the article could be a load of old bow locks.

If there's any truth in that Sturridge article, why on Earth didn't we make it a condition of selling VvD that we got Sturridge on our terms? i.e. loan + option to buy.

Given how desperate Liverpool we're to sign VvD, surely we were in pole position at the negotiating table?

On the surface, it does seem we're a tad naive/soft when it comes to player negotiations.

If we did that, we'd be losing out financially on the deal. We wanted those mega bucks I think.

We don't really have any proof the club have ever seriously considered Sturridge do we? There was enough stuff in the press, from the manager and from ITKs on here to say we were certainly interested Walcott. I'm really not convinced we were interested in a sick note Liverpool, allegedly, value at £50 million.

We don't really have any proof the club have ever seriously considered Sturridge do we? There was enough stuff in the press, from the manager and from ITKs on here to say we were certainly interested Walcott. I'm really not convinced we were interested in a sick note Liverpool, allegedly, value at £50 million.

We probably did enquire when we sold VvD, you can imagine the conversation:

L: We'd like VvD please

S: That'll be £75m then. Any chance we could get Sturridge from you?

L: Sure, you can have him & £25m for VvD

S: We'll just have the £75m thanks

I'm not a big fan of the transfer window as it makes more and more of our supporters look planks.Balotelli, now Giroud. What planet are these people on

If we were halfway up the league and we had enough guts I think Giroud would have been a possibility. The best striker I've seen at St Mary's this season.

I’ve got a feeling we won’t be signing anyone, PR spin will be that we are going to give our youth a chance. Sims and Obafemi will be thrust into the first team. Pellegrino won’t get sacked, if we stay up, look at Southampton not panicking sticking with their manager and giving youth a chance...how amazing are we. If we get relegated, Pellegrino’s fault, our model is perfect.

I thought by MP putting Obafemi was a sign to the board that we need strikers and that all we have is a 17yo to play up front,the fact that MP is trying to bring in a player he knows says to me he is not happy with what he has and wants a target man to play that lone role.

I might be wrong in my assumptions but it does look like that to me

I thought by MP putting Obafemi was a sign to the board that we need strikers and that all we have is a 17yo to play up front,the fact that MP is trying to bring in a player he knows says to me he is not happy with what he has and wants a target man to play that lone role.

Les and Ralph told him probably! Who knows, given the position we are in you would have thought they would have got any potential signings done, doesn’t look like we are even close.

Really? #factcheck

I’m sure 5here are plenty who chuckle at the paranoia of fans who think the Club waste time massaging the ego of a gullible fan base. Thank goodness for the pitchfork brigade who are watching out for those of us less able.

It wouldn't be paranoia to think that Faz.

Also, are you another on the list of posters who is only able to post insulting replies... rather than respect your fellow fans and discuss the club openly?

Les and Ralph told him probably! Who knows, given the position we are in you would have thought they would have got any potential signings done, doesn’t look like we are even close.

It hasn’t to be tough convincing anyone to come here in this situation,we are asking players that are currently playing CL football to join us with the prospect of Championship football in 6-7 months,the club will insist on a relagation clause in any contract as well so who wants to commit to 4 years on 70k a week with a real possibility of that becoming £35k in the summer

It hasn’t to be tough convincing anyone to come here in this situation,we are asking players that are currently playing CL football to join us with the prospect of Championship football in 6-7 months,the club will insist on a relagation clause in any contract as well so who wants to commit to 4 years on 70k a week with a real possibility of that becoming £35k in the summer

There would be a relegation clause on both sides, I would imagine.

Was quite a surprise/out of the blue this lad getting a debut. The cynic in me suspects MP was encouraged to play him after the u18’s were humiliatingly knocked out of the FA Youth Cup last week by Category 3 Academy Blackpool.

The hierarchy can now preach that the pathway to first team is there even though the underage teams might be poor now. After all I believe we’re marketing out academy around the world?

We haven’t exactly been chucking the kids in all season, to do it when we’re in the bottom 3 is odd.

There would be a relegation clause on both sides, I would imagine.

So you think it is easy to get a top attacking player who is subject to a relegation clause.

I don't that it is why it is difficult to spend our VVD money we should have cashed in in the summer when we were in a decent position.

Now I probably think we may have to slug it out with what we have attacking players who hardly ever score.

Hopefully things will change but we havenot scored many for nearly a season and a half.

The law of averages suggests we should start scoring soon but there is little evidence it is going to happen

Was quite a surprise/out of the blue this lad getting a debut. The cynic in me suspects MP was encouraged to play him after the u18’s were humiliatingly knocked out of the FA Youth Cup last week by Category 3 Academy Blackpool.

The hierarchy can now preach that the pathway to first team is there even though the underage teams might be poor now. After all I believe we’re marketing out academy around the world?

We haven’t exactly been chucking the kids in all season, to do it when we’re in the bottom 3 is odd.

To be fair, apart from the Cup match, the Under 18s are actually doing pretty well this season, and especially recently (currently 4th in their section with games in hand on 2nd/3rd). The upturn in their fortunes seems to coincide with the arrival of Danny Butterfield to assist Craig Fleming. Whether he is the reason or just coincidence is of course open to debate.

I suppose there was little choice

Long was ill, Austin injured, Gallagher on loan, the other young lad only just back from loan at Yeovil and Gabbiadini probably knackered after ploughing a lone furrow upfront.

The other possibility was putting Redmond up front in a 'Thierry Henry' role but this obviously was less of an option than trying a 17 year old debutant who had little or no experience in the U23's!!!

Poor management for a team with the 18th highest revenue in European Football!!!!!!!!

Newcastle seems to be willing to make an offer for Nicolai Jorgensen which Feyenoord can't refuse. Hopefully it's not true as I wouldn't like him to leave but if so I would rather like him to go to Southampton of course. He would do a better job for Saints than Promes...

https://www.chroniclelive.co.uk/sport/football/transfer-news/newcastle-locked-talks-sign-20-14194931

So you think it is easy to get a top attacking player who is subject to a relegation clause.

I don't that it is why it is difficult to spend our VVD money we should have cashed in in the summer when we were in a decent position.

Now I probably think we may have to slug it out with what we have attacking players who hardly ever score.

Hopefully things will change but we havenot scored many for nearly a season and a half.

The law of averages suggests we should start scoring soon but there is little evidence it is going to happen

Nope. If good old Les, Ross and Ralph think this no doubt we'll definitely have to enjoy next year in the league below. And, as many have said, Pellegrino could make Messi look ****e.