January 18 transfer window

SKD

Southampton eye Theo Walcott return as part of January rebuild following Virgil van Dijk exit

The Saints are also tracking Celtic's Moussa Dembele while Swansea defender Alfie Mawson is on the radar

From John Cross

Cross is pretty clued in at Arsenal. Will be interesting if Wilson goes with it too.

Decent list, TBH.

Makes me laugh, everyone's all over the Theo rumours because he's "one of our own" and yet no mention of sturridge who's infinitely better and needing games and goals to get to the World Cup. Yes he's an annoying twerp, and would spend half his life on the treatment table (as would Theo) but I know who I'd rely on more to get us enough goals to stay up!

Dembele and Mawson would be great.

Doubt it will happen though.

Mawson worth a shout for his aerial prowess alone! Scores a fair few goals from centre-back @ set-pieces.

As for Dembele..... it's nearly January, so we must be due a obligatory YouTube clips package?

[video=youtube;C3ZG-EYRZCA]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C3ZG-EYRZCA

Makes me laugh, everyone's all over the Theo rumours because he's "one of our own" and yet no mention of sturridge who's infinitely better and needing games and goals to get to the World Cup. Yes he's an annoying twerp, and would spend half his life on the treatment table (as would Theo) but I know who I'd rely on more to get us enough goals to stay up!

Let's get them both and Dembele and Mawson! Wages shouldn't be a problem as Simon Jordan seems to think our new owner is loaded anyway !?

Mawson would be great. Swansea won’t sell him cheaply though. We’re more likely to go abroad I reckon for a defensive replacement.

If we were to sell Long or Bertrand any time soon, is there a pressing need for any new signings to be 'home grown' etc?

Let's get them both and Dembele and Mawson! Wages shouldn't be a problem as Simon Jordan seems to think our new owner is loaded anyway !?

He was guessing.

You might be right...there’s a certain amount of emotional / romantic attachment to seeing Theo back in a Saints shirt that could override good judgement. I personally would love to see him back. He scored 19 goals in all competitions for Arsenal last season though and he still has pace, which we need. He’d be a decent addition assuming the price is OK.

And if people are concerned with Theo’s injury record, Sturridge’s should be a major concern.

STOKE INTEREST IN INGS

We understand Stoke are interested in taking Liverpool striker Danny Ings on loan, though they are likely to face competition.

West Ham, Newcastle and West Brom are also thought to be keen on talking to Liverpool about Ings, whose contract expires in 2020.

But it’s understood Liverpool have yet to decide whether they will allow Ings to go out on loan in January.

You might be right...there’s a certain amount of emotional / romantic attachment to seeing Theo back in a Saints shirt that could override good judgement. I personally would love to see him back. He scored 19 goals in all competitions for Arsenal last season though and he still has pace, which we need. He’d be a decent addition assuming the price is OK.

And if people are concerned with Theo’s injury record, Sturridge’s should be a major concern.

I wonder after VVD was not in the squad to protect him from injury over the week=end that we must have been chasing Sturridge for about 4 years

We’ve only got three, and only one is worthy of starting really. We do need a replacement CB

Oh it's fair enough, especially if we're looking to play three at the back more often, which a signing like Sessegnon would back up. I'm mostly surprised because we've opted to keep Gardos around and presumably see Bednarek getting into the squad at some point.

Find the £25mill quoted by Wilson for Mawson quite astronomical & kind of puts me off, but relative to VVD’s value perhaps it’s fair? Would be happy with the others we’ve genuinely been linked with too.

As for Ings, wouldn’t have been interested pre-Austin’s injury, but would now be pleased if we were rumoured to be after him.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Oh it's fair enough, especially if we're looking to play three at the back more often, which a signing like Sessegnon would back up. I'm mostly surprised because we've opted to keep Gardos around and presumably see Bednarek getting into the squad at some point.

Presumably Gardos is still here because he’s getting paid good money and refuses to leave

Either a smokescreen, or they have sensed the unhappiness with fans and leaked names to reassure us..

This. Sounds very like a sop. Then they'll put their hands up and say it's difficult when the obstacles and objections pop up as they will. Next step is the players ruling themselves out or the prices asked being ludicrous and putting us off. The real need is for a manager. And a keeper.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Positive that the names being mentioned are mostly proven Prem players. Would take any of the names mentioned by Jeremy Wilson in a heartbeat.

Yay! More Longs and Redmonds and less Manés, Leminas and Van Dijks!

Enough with the prem proven bullsh!t, it means nothing more than getting worse value for money.

That Jeremy Wilson article strikes me as a PR piece for the fans' benefit, unlike us to publicly announce our transfer targets until it is all but a done deal. The one bit I would say is true would be the signing from France, if only because he says it is close to done and no name is given, which is more like us. Hoping it's Trapp, he wants out of PSG since losing his place in the starting line up.

Does anyone else think it’s a little unusual for the club to be this open about potential targets?

The cynic in me says this is PR to keep the fans happy that we're showing ambition in who we're trying to sign to ease the pressure on Reed and the manager.

Exclusive: Southampton keen on Daniel Sturridge and ready to make audacious move for Fulham's Ryan Sessegnon ~ @JWTelegraph

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/football/2017/12/28/southampton-keen-daniel-sturridge-ready-make-audacious-move/

We must be REALLY keen on Sturridge I would imagine having just sold Vvd to Liverpool and not bothered to get him in on loan as part of the deal.