January 18 transfer window

SKD

Nope. If good old Les, Ross and Ralph think this no doubt we'll definitely have to enjoy next year in the league below. And, as many have said, Pellegrino could make Messi look ****e.

This does seem to be a rather stupid comment as for many years a really outstanding player MLT virtually singlehandedly kept us in the PL and no doubt if Kane played for us we would not be in the relegation zone.

The main problem we have is not the manager although I am not a fan of MoPe the problem is that players like Boufal Redmond Long and Gabbadini cannot score or assist in other people scoring and this has been apparent since Mane and Pelle left

How many Leauge goals have the four I mentioned scored this season

A couple of sites/bookies had us linked with Bristol City's Bobby Reid at the start of the window. 14 goals this season, 24 years old. I wonder if this will gain legs now they're out of the league cup...

Day 24 and still no signings. If we're sticking with Pellegrino, which is asking for trouble IMO, then he needs to be backed with signings in order for him to stand a shred of a chance. I can't believe we haven't brought anyone in yet. Getting the most interest for our £75 million from the bank! It'd be good for the fans to be able to applaud a new signing at St Mary's on Saturday.

Les seems to like a thrilling game of chicken...waiting to see who blinks first before ensuring he gets his 5th choice player.

Seriously, this is starting to look either negligent or incompetent or both.

Exactly. Rather than parading new signings around the pitch on deadline day, when they can have no influence on the game against Brighton, how about getting them in a bit earlier, so they can help do something about our poor performance??

I don’t think the club are that stupid not get anyone in before the deadline lol why are some fans acting like we’re already down? There’s 8 points between Swansea and Everton in 9th and everyone in between is in the same predicament, a couple of loses from Everton and they’re in trouble again! I’d more worried if we were 5 points from safety, lose against and I might be there

I don’t think the club are that stupid not get anyone in before the deadline lol why are some fans acting like we’re already down? There’s 8 points between Swansea and Everton in 9th and everyone in between is in the same predicament, a couple of loses from Everton and they’re in trouble again! I’d more worried if we were 5 points from safety, lose against and I might be there

Personally don't get the doom and gloom at the moment. People comparing this to 2005 and relegation from the Premier League under 'He who shall not be named'. But unlike then, we are playing decent football on the whole. The biggest problem in my opinion isn't a lack of goals, it is the silly mistakes that are leading to conceding them. We haven't had a settled back four since January 2017 after VVD's injury against Leicester.

I am a little concerned that we haven't brought someone in yet (even a loan signing would be useful) but I do think the club are doing their best. January is always a difficult time to bring in quality players, unless you throw money at the problem. Even Citeh baulked at the fee for Sanchez. We should have enough to beat Brighton as it stands - they can't score goals either. WBA is the big one for me (not only because I am going to that one), because that is a true 6 pointer! A win there would be huge. I am confident we will bring in the right players in the next few days. I can only hope that we aren't the 'featured' club when Jim White brings out his stupid yellow tie next week.

Exactly. Rather than parading new signings around the pitch on deadline day' date=' when they can have no influence on the game against Brighton, how about getting them in a bit earlier, so they can help do something about our poor performance??[/quote']

Exactly, the margins are so tight in this league, 3 points against Brighton could quite easily be the difference between staying up and going down.

You can get deals done early in the window, you just have to throw cash at it. In our situation (in the bottom three with nightmare run-in and serious cash in the bank) surely it makes sense to pay a bit over the odds and get them in in time to make a difference?

Personally don't get the doom and gloom at the moment. People comparing this to 2005 and relegation from the Premier League under 'He who shall not be named'. But unlike then, we are playing decent football on the whole. The biggest problem in my opinion isn't a lack of goals, it is the silly mistakes that are leading to conceding them. We haven't had a settled back four since January 2017 after VVD's injury against Leicester.

I am a little concerned that we haven't brought someone in yet (even a loan signing would be useful) but I do think the club are doing their best. January is always a difficult time to bring in quality players, unless you throw money at the problem. Even Citeh baulked at the fee for Sanchez. We should have enough to beat Brighton as it stands - they can't score goals either. WBA is the big one for me (not only because I am going to that one), because that is a true 6 pointer! A win there would be huge. I am confident we will bring in the right players in the next few days. I can only hope that we aren't the 'featured' club when Jim White brings out his stupid yellow tie next week.

Not watched us much this season? ;)

Exactly, the margins are so tight in this league, 3 points against Brighton could quite easily be the difference between staying up and going down.

You can get deals done early in the window, you just have to throw cash at it. In our situation (in the bottom three with nightmare run-in and serious cash in the bank) surely it makes sense to pay a bit over the odds and get them in in time to make a difference?

Agree as you end up throwing more cash at it the later it gets.

Last January was hilarious as we were searching for last minute loan deals for strikers.

It made more sense to sort out deals prior to VVD deal being announced.

The list below is all EPL transfers in with the exception of the Top 6. It underlines the difficulty of getting in quality players in January, at least early in the window. However badly we want a player, I'm pretty sure many agents are saying hang on in case a better offer comes along.

Aaron Lennon (Everton to Burnley) Undisclosed

Jaroslaw Jach [Zagłebie Lubin - Crystal Palace] Undisclosed

Kenedy [Chelsea - Newcastle] Loan

Erdal Rakip [benfica - Crystal Palace] Loan

Jurgen Locadia [PSV Eindhoven - Brighton] £14m

Kostas Stafylidis [Augsburg - Stoke] Loan

Theo Walcott [Arsenal - Everton] £20m+

Fousseni Diabate [Gazelec Ajaccio - Leicester] Undisclosed

Alex Pritchard [Norwich - Huddersfield] Undisclosed

Moritz Bauer [Rubin Kazan - Stoke] Undisclosed

Georges-Kevin Nkoudou [Tottenham - Burnley] Loan

Cenk Tosun [besiktas - Everton] £27m

Terence Kongolo [Monaco - Huddersfield] Loan

Viktor Gyokeres [iF Brommapojkarna - Brighton] Undisclosed

That takes Everton's total spending this year to around £190 million, plus whatever huge wage and signing on fee Rooney probably got as well.

For 9th, 5 points above the relegation zone. Hardly stellar results recently either, last 5 league games they have drawn with WBA twice, lost the Bournemouth, got thumped by Spurs and beaten by Man Utd.

That takes Everton's total spending this year to around £190 million, plus whatever huge wage and signing on fee Rooney probably got as well.

For 9th, 5 points above the relegation zone. Hardly stellar results recently either, last 5 league games they have drawn with WBA twice, lost the Bournemouth, got thumped by Spurs and beaten by Man Utd.

Are you saying that given our net spend, it is no surprise where we are? :lol:

Bunch of wet tarts on here..... Saints always get the business done last minute I reckon we will sign a couple of players nobody has ever heard of.......

Perfectly relaxed but when do saints always get their business done last minute? Our aim generally is to get our business done early - something that Les likes to publicise.

We should clearly be mid-table, but does make you think. Why spend loads...for what? Decent manager and we, or any club can come 7th. Spend an absolute fortune and you have a slightly better chance of that 7th.

Investment should primarily be in the manager, academy and coaching staff. Get that right and you'll save fortunes.

You hounded out Puel; you're trying to hound out Pellegrino. What happens if the next manager doesn't deliver, Adrian? Hound him out too?

Edited by shurlock

Having just finished reading Simon Jordans book all I can say is thank **** we appear to have sane people controlling the purse strings. Some of the stories he tells of agents, clubs and managers deceit & immoral behaviour during transfer negotiations would have made my hair stand up, if I had any. We probably could have got someone in early in the window, but we'd have paid a premium in terms of fee, wages & bonuses. No doubt wanting to insert a relegation clause would have affected things as well. I'm sure Les & Ralph were as desperate as any of us to get our business done early, & Pell would sell his gran to do so. But act in haste repent in leisure springs to mind.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Next job personal terms with player and agent then.

Hopefully will get this done I miss us having a target man who is good with his head. It would've nice to see him stealing in at the back post to bury crosses like Lambert used to.

That will already have been done.

Having just finished reading Simon Jordans book all I can say is thank **** we appear to have sane people controlling the purse strings. Some of the stories he tells of agents, clubs and managers deceit & immoral behaviour during transfer negotiations would have made my hair stand up, if I had any. We probably could have got someone in early in the window, but we'd have paid a premium in terms of fee, wages & bonuses. No doubt wanting to insert a relegation clause would have affected things as well. I'm sure Les & Ralph were as desperate as any of us to get our business done early, & Pell would sell his gran to do so. But act in haste repent in leisure springs to mind.

You love "Les and Ralph" don't you ducky

I have just read the book and thought he came across as one of the most conceited men I have ever known. Not at all surprised it all went pear shaped under his watch.

Perfectly relaxed but when do saints always get their business done last minute? Our aim generally is to get our business done early - something that Les likes to publicise.

Generally it is , but signing mane and Toby on the last day (or near enough) was fairly last minute and fairly successful