January 18 transfer window

SKD

Ethically shady, but probably a smart way to boost recruitment. (Certainly hasn't hindered Wolves, in fact, they've almost solved the problem of loyalty in today's game).

Eh? Surely the Mendes pipeline makes it even harder to stop players moving up the food chain.

Eh? Surely the Mendes pipeline makes it even harder to stop players moving up the food chain.

They don't have an agent pushing them to go anywhere.

Their manager was on Everton's shortlist and came out categorically to say he wasn't interested. You don't often see that in today's game from anyone. (Especially a championship manager saying that about a Prem job.)

https://www.sport-express.ru/football/rfpl/news/pryamo-seychas-promes-ne-uydet-v-sautgempton-i-vot-pochemu-1361076/

Translation:

Today, the publication Sky Sports reported that the forward of "Spartacus" Quincy Promes is close to the transition to "Southampton" . According to the source, the deal will amount to at least 30 million pounds sterling.

However, according to the "SE", this information is not true - at the moment, the management of red and white does not consider such an option to sell the 26-year-old Dutchman. With a high degree of probability, the forward will play all season-2017/18 with the Muscovites.

Recall that in this championship of Russia Promes spent 17 matches, scoring 10 goals and making 6 assists. In addition, he played 5 meetings in the Champions League - 2 goals and 2 assists. (Vyacheslav KOROTKIN)

Would be a magninficent signing but will never happen.

HBA

Surely the time to do that was when Puel was in charge.

I can't see him being who we need, now.

He's no quicker than Tadic or Boufal and I don't see him being much of an improvement upon either.

Sure, he's a talented player, but I think it's unlikely that he'd score more than a couple of goals before the end of the season.

Still, I suppose he's another player for Mopey to stick on the bench and bring on for the last 5 mins.

I love Griffit’s passion for the club even though he was never more than a bit part player for us, but his ‘snippets’ this window have not been particularly reliable, so we shall see.

Only person from PSG I can think of is Ben Arfa. I’m sure Puel said he tried to sign him, so we’ll see I guess.

Beginning to wonder if we're going to sign anyone at this point

I get that feeling too, especially after the Shane Long article in the Echo. It really feels like we'll try and make do with the squad we have, which is adequate if we had a manger who doesn't **** his knickers every time we take the lead in a game.

Pellegrino seems fairly certain that two players will come in.

Agree with him that its only worth adding good players and generally that goes til near the end of the window.

The Watford cup game is irrelevant so as long as we have two in for the Brighton game then so be it.

Will be glad if we are targetting quality.

Pellegrino seems fairly certain that two players will come in.

Agree with him that its only worth adding good players and generally that goes til near the end of the window.

The Watford cup game is irrelevant so as long as we have two in for the Brighton game then so be it.

Will be glad if we are targetting quality.

Les probably promised him two signings, without specifying quality, so expect a couple of loans from Colchester and Mansfield.

No one in the Netherlands understands how Quincy Promes can be such a valuable player for Spartak as he is completely useless in the Dutch national team. I saw him play in 7 or 8 games for Oranje and it was really awful, as if he didn't have a clue where to run or when to pass or shoot.

Yet, in Russia he scores one goal after another and he was even player of the year in a fairly strong competition. I guess Spartak is a very good team which makes it easier for Promes to perform well, question is: will he deliver as well in a team that is struggling like Saints? I really doubt it.

If we spend any money on players to play for us in the Premier League for the remainder of this season then Les Reed needs shooting. But I'm sure the club aren't that stupid. They'll know we're down and will be looking for Championship-quality players for next season. Back Pellegrino with a couple of free transfers and we could definitely push for midtable perhaps with a loan or two thrown in as well.

With Sims, Gallagher, Reed, Pied, Offoloma, Long, Yoshida, Valery and McCarthy we have the makings of a very decent lower league outfit and something we should all be excited about.

Edited by niceandfriendly

If we spend any money on players to play for us in the Premier League for the remainder of this season then Les Reed needs shooting. But I'm sure the club aren't that stupid. They'll know we're down and will be looking for Championship-quality players for next season. Back Pellegrino with a couple of free transfers and we could definitely push for midtable perhaps with a loan or two thrown in as well.

With Sims, Gallagher, Reed, Pied, Offoloma, Long, Yoshida, Valery and McCarthy we have the makings of a very decent lower league outfit and something we should all be excited about.

Agree with this, Long especially will be brilliant next year, and sims. Much better than another season like this one.

No one in the Netherlands understands how Quincy Promes can be such a valuable player for Spartak as he is completely useless in the Dutch national team. I saw him play in 7 or 8 games for Oranje and it was really awful, as if he didn't have a clue where to run or when to pass or shoot.

Yet, in Russia he scores one goal after another and he was even player of the year in a fairly strong competition. I guess Spartak is a very good team which makes it easier for Promes to perform well, question is: will he deliver as well in a team that is struggling like Saints? I really doubt it.

I remember watching VVD and Clasie play for the Dutch against Wales a few years back. Clasie was playing along side Wesley Sneijder and looked quality yet never replicated that in a saints shirt meanwhile VVD was being taken to the cleaners by some young welsh players who played for some lower league English club he never looked that bad in a saints shirt. A lot of the England squad look better when playing for their club sides than they do when they pull on the three lions and suddenly look really ordinary.

It’s because of posts like this that I struggle with this forum. Unless I have missed some sarcasm there?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

It’s because of posts like this that I struggle with this forum. Unless I have missed some sarcasm there?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

They're just WUM's or idiots, take your pick. Let it be known throughout the world, We have an owner who has taken out a massive loan to buy us, if we go down, he WILL get his money back one way or another.

Having trouble liking players from Amsterdam?

Promes has been one of the attackers that at least look like scoring even without Robben in the team. He can play centrally in a 4-4-2 but also as a winger in a front three. And maybe most important, he creates his own chances with his speed and trickery which makes him less reliant on a functioning team around him.

OK we are fast approaching the end of January and we are not remotely looking like we are close to signing anyone of real quality that might save us from relegation.

I'm sure no one on here is stupid enough not to believe we are a team heading for relegation. We have been on free fall for the last 3 months and it is so difficult to halt that when players have lost all confidence no matter how good they are (and our squad is very capable of staying up based on quality)

There must become a point when any club in our position really does start to plan for the inevitable and decide not to waste millions IF THEY CANNOT get the players that would make a difference! I suppose that is my biggest worry...we cannot attract the right players for various reasons and quite rightly so will not pay ridiculous amounts for players that WILL NOT have an immediate impact.

I so hope i am wrong but i honestly think the club screwd up massively last season and this season with some of their decisions.

Pellegrino reported as saying today that Saints are closing in on two signings. Theo fell through because of wages, and not because Theo thought Pellegrino was so far out of his depth he made Allardyce look like Sir Alf Ramsay.

nb I made up the last bit.

I believed you about the last bit and am now heartbroken. Especially as it is credible. Not interested in Walcott so don't care about that.

I believed you about the last bit and am now heartbroken. Especially as it is credible. Not interested in Walcott so don't care about that.

It doesn't matter what you think of walcott. Fact is the club wanted him and couldn't get it over the line, everton have roughly the same turnover as us so we should be able to compete on wages, ffp????? The fault clearly lies with who's selling the club to the player, who that is, we can make our own minds up

It doesn't matter what you think of walcott. Fact is the club wanted him and couldn't get it over the line, everton have roughly the same turnover as us so we should be able to compete on wages, ffp????? The fault clearly lies with who's selling the club to the player, who that is, we can make our own minds up

It doesn't matter what you think of Sanchez, the fact is Man City clearly wanted him and couldn't get it over the line. Sh!t happens. You can't always have what you want and if we/Man City (FFS) decide not to compete on salaries which we view as unjustified, then that's the way it goes.