January 18 transfer window

SKD

Taking the cheaper "fingers crossed" option has moved us from 6th to relegation flirting in 18 months.

Its time we stopped trying to be smart and buy some proven premier league talent.

Same time we could further weaken one of our relegation rivals

My biggest worry is that the club will blow the VVD money on 4 or 5 average players. I don’t mind the club spending the money on the right player, but I am not convinced that Mawson is the right player and I am certainly not convinced he’s a 25M defender.

My biggest worry is that the club will blow the VVD money on 4 or 5 average players. I don’t mind the club spending the money on the right player, but I am not convinced that Mawson is the right player and I am certainly not convinced he’s a 25M defender.

I am pretty certain we aren't breaking our transfer record for a defender.

This other guy seems an option..bang on matches our previous MO.

again the club are seemingly filling the right holes in the squad (as they did I the summer with a defensive midfielder and in January with a striker for example) whether they are of good enough quality to improve us, is yet to be seen.

I am pretty certain we aren't breaking our transfer record for a defender.

This other guy seems an option..bang on matches our previous MO.

again the club are seemingly filling the right holes in the squad (as they did I the summer with a defensive midfielder and in January with a striker for example) whether they are of good enough quality to improve us, is yet to be seen.

Have you got any further inside info?

one deal has been agreed awhile now,player and his family were at Huddersfield game both sides are happy it's sorted.I'm not giving out his name it'll be announced this week.

FACT the player and his wife were back down here last week viewing houses and speaking about schools for his 2 kids.

When he is officially a Saints player don't worry I won't be back with I told you so post

Hi. Any update? Thanks

Edited by trousers

This is such utter bull****, just conveniently goes against all evidence.

We stuck with the exact policy that got us 6th. Hojbjerg, Boufal, Gabbiadini, Lemina, Hoedt are not bad signings or cheap signings. All players who'll have good careers even if not here.

People decrying signings now because the last 2 managers have failed to get the best out of them would be the first to moan if we'd signed players like Snodgrass and Chambers over Mane and Van Dijk. We've enjoyed huge success and made fortunes, yet a year or so of difficulty and people want it all gone. Rewrite everything and demand we act like West Ham. Fcking deserves relegation.

Totally missing the point to be honest.

We sold lovren - so got Toby, lost him so got VVD.

Lallana was directly replaced by Tadic.

Shaw to Bertrand

Clyne to Cedric

Lambert to pelle

Etc etc

What we have been doing recently is not replacing players with ones of similar attributes or play styles, and therefore totally weakening the team and disrupting the style. We've done this seemingly because the players are young and it's assumed they will develop and then the club will profit.

Sadly neither Gabbi or long are target men, Redmond is a poor shadow of mane. As is Boufal. We have totally crippled our attacking style and quality. Surprise surprise we now can't score goals. They're not bad players, but an effective team playing 4321 they do not make! And since it is decreed that we will play a certain way our squad is not good enough! At least the new man is kind of a target man, but again he isn't going to be a star man for us, and he isn't exactly what we need. We have £60m and a whole load of VVD's wages... go buy a quality CF and a proper winger / attacking mid.... two players who are better than what we have for an average of £30m a pop isn't that hard to do...

Edited by Saint86

Doesn't make sense that we haven't managed to get at least one in yet - if the decision to sell VVD was made around the time of the Huddersfield game and the deal with Liverpool was sorted a few days after, what have the recruitment team been doing in the meantime? Surely one of the reasons to sell VVD was to enable us to make moves ourselves? Or was he sold independent of us having an idea that we could get anyone in?

Doesn't make sense that we haven't managed to get at least one in yet - if the decision to sell VVD was made around the time of the Huddersfield game and the deal with Liverpool was sorted a few days after' date=' what have the recruitment team been doing in the meantime? Surely one of the reasons to sell VVD was to enable us to make moves ourselves? Or was he sold independent of us having an idea that we could get anyone in?[/quote']

I suspect they were heading towards a decision to sell even before the Huddersfield game - he was dropped for the Chelsea game the week before, though he was on the bench.

Doesn't make sense that we haven't managed to get at least one in yet - if the decision to sell VVD was made around the time of the Huddersfield game and the deal with Liverpool was sorted a few days after' date=' what have the recruitment team been doing in the meantime? Surely one of the reasons to sell VVD was to enable us to make moves ourselves? Or was he sold independent of us having an idea that we could get anyone in?[/quote']

You would think that an organised recruitment team would, given the issues with Van Dijk in the summer, already have a list of players ready at the beginning of December who could be possible replacements so that as soon as negotiations started around Van Dijk, we could start negotiating a replacement. If nothing else, it stops other clubs pushing up prices as they know we've got £60m burning a hold in our pocket. That is what you would expect... but this Southampton.

#welimpon

No one wants to sign for a small club with a **** manager and a dithering Ceo that's only out of the relegation zone on goal difference!

Club are clearly keeping the money for wages for when we are in the championship,they will no doubt wheel out uncle Les and he will say no big names are leaving,we can afford to keep them and we will look to bounce back straight away........cue mass exodus in June

Saints are signing someone under 35 years old, has two child and one wife.

I heard he can kick a ball with both feet but prefers his right.

I cant tell you his name or which club he plays/played for or which position or where he was born.

Will sign before 1st February and cost less than van djik was sold for!

if i get moaned at i will not tell you everything else i know.

They knew about this weeks ago, hence Nike publishing what they did on their website, and hence the reason they were able to offer us 75m for VVD.

Well, like Double VD, it was pretty obvious when he got "injured" and stopped playing a couple of games ago.

Funny how all the clubs that made a stand in the summer stopping players moving have pretty much lost them now anyway.

I am not sure how the club can be criticised for losing the players we have, obviously no one can stop players moving if they chose to.

I think the club should be looking at Atletico Madrid, Dortmund, Napoli and those types of club to. See if we can learn from them.

They do lose players but also manage to hold on to some pretty good players for quite a while, so we need to understand how they can do it and what the secret is... They obviously do something right as Costa was happy to throw away his Chelsea millions to get back to Atletico.

I think the club should be looking at Atletico Madrid, Dortmund, Napoli and those types of club to. See if we can learn from them.

They do lose players but also manage to hold on to some pretty good players for quite a while, so we need to understand how they can do it and what the secret is... They obviously do something right as Costa was happy to throw away his Chelsea millions to get back to Atletico.

Are you for real. I'll hazard a guess what the secret is. ££££££££

Atletico Madrid with all their European titles, dozen or so La Liga and cup wins, champions league finalists with a stadium of over 60k why can't we be like them. Or Dortmund, they're like us , reduce their 80k stadium to 32k, forget about their 8 Bundesliga titles and their European success, and they're exactly like us. Napoli, we should be like them. We're a bit nearer to them than the other 2. They've only won their league twice and cup 5 times and only have 20 odd k higher capacity. I must have been missing something all along. Why on earth aren't we like these champions league clubs and paying champions league wages. I'm sure there's players out there attracted by playing in front of 32k instead of playing for the clubs you mention. Hell, you're even showing a bit of Dell sized mentality. Why stop at Dortmund , why can't we learn from Bayern or Real Madrid, they manage to keep their players. That Ronaldo , everyone wants him, but do they sell? No, unlike us they manage to keep their players. Reed out

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Edited by Lord Duckhunter

Atletico Madrid with all their European titles, dozen or so La Liga and cup wins, champions league finalists with a stadium of over 60k why can't we be like them. Or Dortmund, they're like us , reduce their 80k stadium to 32k, forget about their 8 Bundesliga titles and their European success, and they're exactly like us. Napoli, we should be like them. We're a bit nearer to them than the other 2. They've only won their league twice and cup 5 times and only have 20 odd k higher capacity. I must have been missing something all along. Why on earth aren't we like these champions league clubs and paying champions league wages. I'm sure there's players out there attracted by playing in front of 32k instead of playing for the clubs you mention. Hell, you're even showing a bit of Dell sized mentality. Why stop at Dortmund , why can't we learn from Bayern or Real Madrid, they manage to keep their players. That Ronaldo , everyone wants him, but do they sell? No, unlike us they manage to keep their players. Reed out

Lol Pr1ck

This made me laugh I for one appreciate the effort

The fiasco that saw us spent £17 million on a really good striker?

I know people get bored with their new toys quickly, but I wouldn't expect decent strikers to be available every January, and I'd be amazed if any striker made the difference given how few we create. Austin got a few, but we still only managed to beat the very worst sides before their managers got appointed.

I don't get this mentality of just ditching really expensive signings because they're off form or ignored by a manager. Should we really just sell Gabbiadini, Tadic, Romeu, Cedric etc because they're not fulfilling potential under our worst manager in years?

No the fiasco that meant we didn't get a cb in and had to bring in a panic signing after the window in case we had any injuries.

Thanks for confirming why a few people I know don't post on here, FACT the player and his wife were back down here last week viewing houses and speaking about schools for his 2 kids.

When he is officially a Saints player don't worry I won't be back with I told you so post

Info I have on Mr Goa and our Manger I'll keep to myself to save you the trouble of posting another witty reply

Yes because what you wrote was bull ****.

i get what you are saying but,Les and the Liars told us that CL/ European football was always the aim. Yes those clubs get big gates but they don’t get the PL riches.

les and Ralph raised our expectations and that has brought them a problem

Hence noe Ralph is saying we are a small club, all part of pulling us down to be thankful for just surviving every season.

frustrating watching Everton Liverpool the other night where about 8 of our explayers were on show

i get what you are saying but,Les and the Liars told us that CL/ European football was always the aim. Yes those clubs get big gates but they don’t get the PL riches.

les and Ralph raised our expectations and that has brought them a problem

Hence noe Ralph is saying we are a small club, all part of pulling us down to be thankful for just surviving every season.

frustrating watching Everton Liverpool the other night where about 8 of our explayers were on show

Atletico etc are not the top rung of the ladder, the same as Liverpool aren't, They have the really big clubs courting their players and yet often can keep them for at least a while.(Griezman?)

We don't sell to the top tier we sell to the Atletico tier (Liverpool, Spurs etc) as we are the tier below. IMO should we ever want to head towards that we need to understand how they work.

It's not about money as our turnover , with premier league money, won't be far behind the atleticos and naplois of the world.

It's a bit academic really as the dream Les sold us has been wiped and just staying up will be an achievement whilst the mighty Burnley, Watford and Huddersfield fight for the places behind the top 8.

IMO the model does sort of work, selling players for big fees it's just we do it too frequently and it only takes a few newbies to take a while to settle and you're in trouble.

Haha, great summary duck. I enjoyed it at least.

Watching Brereton for Forest. HCDAJFU.

Very very impressed by Ben Brereton from Nottingham.

We've been linked with him before: https://www.thesun.co.uk/sport/football/3290723/arsenal-transfer-news-gunners-set-to-move-for-nottingham-forests-10million-rated-teen-ben-brereton/

Exactly the sort of player we should be looking at. He will probably disappear down the "Top 6" black-hole of talented teenagers.