January 18 transfer window

SKD

I'm afraid I don't understand your post MLG, at no point have i said Walcott is a right back.... In fact, at no point have I said anything about right backs at all?

He was trying to be clever, but failed. Sessengon is a left full back etc.

I was going to copy paste this myself, but you already posted it. How much of this is true?

He WON'T be playing alongside Austin, as MP refuses to play 2 up top.

Do we need a back up RB? We have Cedric and Pied as backup.

Cedric is off during the summer? Pied becomes 1st choice and AN Other is backup?

I'm just guessing really.

CARRILLO TO SAINTS?

There is firm interest from Southampton in Monaco striker Guido Carrillo, according to Sky sources.

The 26-year-old Argentinian - valued at around £15million - played under Southampton manager Mauricio Pellegrino during his two year spell in charge of Estudiantes.

The struggling Premier League club are seeking a target man to play alongside Charlie Austin when he returns from injury.

Southampton have money to spend following the £75million sale of Virgil Van Dijk, although the fee is to be paid by Liverpool in instalments over a period of years.

As well as a centre-forward, they are also in the market for a winger with pace and a back-up right-back.

Monaco will be right chuffed to get rid of him for nowt let alone us giving them money for him. Sounds like the old agent horse manure at work again.

Really? I reckon that's one area where we are alright TBH. Cedric, Pied and any one of Yoshi, Stephens or Bednarek able to play there in an emergency seems to be perfectly good cover in that position.

What about a goalscoring AM to replace the ever-fading Davis?

What about a solid, international quality CB to replace VVD?

What about a reliable 1st choice keeper?

It seems that the club has got its priorities wrong... again!

Given we signed Bednarek as backup & signed Hoedt for 15m as effectively Van Dijk's replacement i can't really see us splashing the cash again in that position there unless there's a decision that the club will play 5 at the back long term.

Given the lack of faith in Pied & playing 2 centre backs out of position i can see why a backup RB might be a priority, especially if it's one with potential to develop as who knows how long Cedric will stay even if we stay up.

AM, i would see a pacy player as the necessity rather than a Davis equivalent, whether that's Walcott or someone else. So once again i wouldn't necessarily agree with you.

Striker is clearly a huge area of concern.

Pied has been unlucky with injuries, certainly good enough for us as a back up right back. Not a position i'd imagine we will look at until Cedric leaves, probably the summer. Priority has to be a target man, we have been missing one since Pelle left for China. Also some sort of AM to link up midfield and attack.

No, I'm sure we'll sign someone but it will be towards the end of the window and a waste of money given the useless manager they will play under

This is what also worries me. Gabbiadini was a brilliant striker when he signed for us but now he blazes a sitting chance high over the bar. What has made a player who has been good enough to play for Italy fail to score a chance that a Saturday afternoon amateur would have put away, if it isn't the training or the man management?

Charlie Austin seems to be immune to the problem, whatever it is, but I also worry that bringing in another striker could mean leaving our one proven coal scorer out of the team. Someone like Walcott who could produce more from wide attack would be an improvement but is he so much better then Redmond, or Boufal that he could save our season? Not at all sure, whereas a new manager a few weeks ago could have made the difference already. Words like horse, stable and bolted doors come to mind.

This is what also worries me. Gabbiadini was a brilliant striker when he signed for us but now he blazes a sitting chance high over the bar. What has made a player who has been good enough to play for Italy fail to score a chance that a Saturday afternoon amateur would have put away, if it isn't the training or the man management?

Charlie Austin seems to be immune to the problem, whatever it is, but I also worry that bringing in another striker could mean leaving our one proven coal scorer out of the team. Someone like Walcott who could produce more from wide attack would be an improvement but is he so much better then Redmond, or Boufal that he could save our season? Not at all sure, whereas a new manager a few weeks ago could have made the difference already. Words like horse, stable and bolted doors come to mind.

In terms of goal return, Gabbiadini has never been prolific. He had a good start here, but before signing had never done anything to suggest he would be a consistent goalscorer. Only made double figures twice and the last time he did that was 2014/15.

Really? I reckon that's one area where we are alright TBH. Cedric, Pied and any one of Yoshi, Stephens or Bednarek able to play there in an emergency seems to be perfectly good cover in that position.

What about a goalscoring AM to replace the ever-fading Davis?

What about a solid, international quality CB to replace VVD?

What about a reliable 1st choice keeper?

It seems that the club has got its priorities wrong... again!

Young Yann Valery is another good prospect.

Targett to Fulham on loan according to Sky.

13:26

ON TARGETT

Fulham are interested in signing Southampton left-back Matt Targett on loan, according to Sky sources.

However, no deal has yet been agreed between the clubs.

Whites boss Slavisa Jokanovic wants another option at left-back as well as a centre-back and striker this month.

Another option? I was hoping we could have Ryan Sessegnon on loan in return. :?

Maybe we are buying him and Targett is a sweetener...

There was a link in an article from a week or so back, 'confirming' our interest in Sessengon and it mentioned that Fulham have an interest in Targett and he would be used in any deal.

Still not sure we'll see Sessengon here to be honest. He'd cost too much money and he's probably holding out for Spurs, which is nailed on in the summer once they sell Rose.

There was a link in an article from a week or so back, 'confirming' our interest in Sessengon and it mentioned that Fulham have an interest in Targett and he would be used in any deal.

Still not sure we'll see Sessengon here to be honest. He'd cost too much money and he's probably holding out for Spurs, which is nailed on in the summer once they sell Rose.

I am not convinced either but maybe Bertrand is off and we are using that money - Sessegnon sell on would be far higher - although didnt show much Saturday worth a gamble.

I am not convinced either but maybe Bertrand is off and we are using that money - Sessegnon sell on would be far higher - although didnt show much Saturday worth a gamble.

I think Sessengon will become a winger anyway, don't see him as a full back as he progresses. Reminds me a bit of Bale in the sense that he started out as a full back, but he has all the qualities to be an attacking left sided winger to be honest.

I think Sessengon will become a winger anyway, don't see him as a full back as he progresses. Reminds me a bit of Bale in the sense that he started out as a full back, but he has all the qualities to be an attacking left sided winger to be honest.

For a 17 year old I think he is brilliant. Plays like a senior pro and made some runs off the ball on Saturday that if he had been found would have put in him great positions. I remember seeing one outside-in run that left Bedernak looking like a lost schoolboy.

For a 17 year old I think he is brilliant. Plays like a senior pro and made some runs off the ball on Saturday that if he had been found would have put in him great positions. I remember seeing one outside-in run that left Bedernak looking like a lost schoolboy.

Agreed. He's going to be some player. Was playing in the championship at 16, which is crazy.

Vincent Aboubakar

Pione Sisto

Fabian Schar

Kevin Trapp

Pione Sisto is one of those players that jumps out as a Mane-esque type player. Rapid, explosive, creates & scores goals.

I was speaking to someone yesterday who works for Fulham and they implied that bigger clubs than us have been sniffing around Sessegnon. Paris St Germain have even been looking at him. Maybe if we were in 7th or 8th there'd be an outside shot, but not now.

Thought he played a bit like Alonso for Chelsea, almost has a free role from left back, but still has the pace to get back into position.

Agreed. He's going to be some player. Was playing in the championship at 16, which is crazy.

Pione Sisto is one of those players that jumps out as a Mane-esque type player. Rapid, explosive, creates & scores goals.

And yet he's scrubbing around at Celta Vigo, an improvement on Midtjytlland no doubt but it's not Barca or PSG either is it.

Sort of player that won't be worth much once his pace has gone, which won't be yet awhile t'is true.

And yet he's scrubbing around at Celta Vigo, an improvement on Midtjytlland no doubt but it's not Barca or PSG either is it.

Sort of player that won't be worth much once his pace has gone, which won't be yet awhile t'is true.

Mane was in Austria at the same age.

Sturridge reportedly made available by Liverpool and we are leading the chase to sign him :- https://www.thegamblingtimes.com/2018/01/06/sturridge-set-leave-ings-stay/

Any of the ITK's know how close this deal from France is and who it could be?

What to believe. Early post-VvD Telegraph article mentioned us being interested. Sky reporting the other day that we had no interest in him (or Sessegnon).

I assume an updated Telegraph piece would give us our answer.

Surely he must be available though?

What to believe. Early post-VvD Telegraph article mentioned us being interested. Sky reporting the other day that we had no interest in him (or Sessegnon).

I assume an updated Telegraph piece would give us our answer.

Surely he must be available though?

Yeah he must be available I would think. He weren't even on the bench for their game against Everton on Friday night. He's a class act and would take him along with Theo.

Yeah he must be available I would think. He weren't even on the bench for their game against Everton on Friday night. He's a class act and would take him along with Theo.

Made of biscuits, but quality.

Can create his own chances out of nothing.

Bear in mind I believe Sturridge is injured at the moment (well, he was at the end of Dec. according to Klopp).

He'd be a risk signing anyway, but signing him when he currently has an injury is just a tad insane. Hence why he's not moved so far I think.

Well Leander Griffit tweeted yesterday with an update saying it's a big name and it's close to being done. Would it be Carrillo?

Wouldn't think Carrillo would be a "big name" as I'm sure most of our fanbase (me included) didn't know who he was until we were rumored to have made a bid.

Well Leander Griffit tweeted yesterday with an update saying it's a big name and it's close to being done. Would it be Carrillo?

Griffit is playing local league football in the north of France, don't know how "au courant" he'd be actually. Not seen any "big name" player from France linked with Saints in L'Equipe or anything myself.

@TeleFootball: Arsenal holding out for around £35million as Man City prepare Alexis Sanchez bid ~ @TelegraphDucker

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/football/2018/01/08/arsenal-want-35million-alexis-sanchez-man-city-prepare-opening/

Nabil Fekir features highly on Arsenal's list of players to replace Sanchez. That link somewhat relates to any interest in Walcott too.

one deal has been agreed awhile now,player and his family were at Huddersfield game both sides are happy it's sorted.I'm not giving out his name it'll be announced this week.

Oh and we can expect a couple more,our new owner was absolutely furious after the 4-1 Leicester debacle,

Thanks for confirming why a few people I know don't post on here, FACT the player and his wife were back down here last week viewing houses and speaking about schools for his 2 kids.

When he is officially a Saints player don't worry I won't be back with I told you so post

Info I have on Mr Goa and our Manger I'll keep to myself to save you the trouble of posting another witty reply

Hi. Any update? Thanks

Over a quarter of the way though. .......

Having started the window with a reported £75m to be spent, and names such as Giroud, Walcott, Sturridge being touted in the press, I expect we'll get to the last week in January when the OS and press will trot out that Les is trying to get one or two deals over the line...