January 18 transfer window

SKD

In all honesty, I think a change in tactics, mindset and intent would go a long way and wouldn't cost anything. We've all seen the players we've got play much better than they are at present so we know the talent and potential is there.....

Agreed. Neither Puel or Pelligrino have been able to get anywhere near the best out of the players available to them.

Or the players aren't anywhere near as good as some on here seem to think they are.

It's a combination of the two. I don't think anyone is under the illusion that we have a squad full of stars. We've been selling the family silverware year on year but the cupboard will soon be running dry on that strategy. Other than Lemina and VvD, maybe Bertrand and Soares, we won't have too many gems to sell. In saying that, and back to my original point, neither the current or last manager are getting the best out of the players they have at their disposal.

Agreed. Neither Puel or Pelligrino have been able to get anywhere near the best out of the players available to them.

Indeed. Mane, Pelle and Big Vic became invisible when Claude took over, as were Austin and VVD for half the season. And he didn't get the best out Gabbi until half the season had already passed.

10 games in and It’s clear we need some attacking talent.

Who & where would you like to see us strengthen in January?

2 direct, quick out and out wingers is a must, IMO.

0 games in and it was clear we needed some attacking talent. Well, to everyone except Les "One Transfer Window Too Late" Reed.

A couple of speculative links from a seemingly dubious source today:

http://www.hitc.com/en-gb/2017/10/26/odds-update-bookies-make-southampton-41-favourites-to-sign-luke/

Seems unlikely at best.

http://www.hitc.com/en-gb/2017/11/01/newcastles-aleksandar-mitrovi-joining-southampton-in-january-wou/

Just what we need! A striker that gets sent off more frequently than he scores, sounds perfect!

A couple of speculative links from a seemingly dubious source today:

http://www.hitc.com/en-gb/2017/10/26/odds-update-bookies-make-southampton-41-favourites-to-sign-luke/

Seems unlikely at best.

http://www.hitc.com/en-gb/2017/11/01/newcastles-aleksandar-mitrovi-joining-southampton-in-january-wou/

Just what we need! A striker that gets sent off more frequently than he scores, sounds perfect!

Neither of them are links. The first is an article on bookies odds which really is scrapping the barrel of journalism and the second is a suggestion by contributor to HITC so is meaningless.

10 games in and It’s clear we need some attacking talent.

Who & where would you like to see us strengthen in January?

2 direct, quick out and out wingers is a must, IMO.

2 direct, quick out and out wingers to do what exactly? Get to by line and whip crosses in? to whom? Whenever we go forward we've got no one in the area who can head the ball and rarely have more than a couple of players in the box anyway. What we need is a Siguedsson type player. Central attacking midfielder who can pick out Gabbiadinis runs, which are excellent, use the ball quickly and weigh in with goals themselves. The problem is i'm struggling to think of any who would come here and that's worth having.

Completely pointless until a decision is made to force MP to play attacking football, or find a manager who will.

New signings will just be told to pass backwards and not take any risks, find themselves isolated or with too many defensive duties then get dropped.

Everyone thinks it's so simple, just sign new players. Any problem, sign more. So much jealousy of Everton in the summer. It's not always the answer.

Some very simple and free, and obvious change:

A) Pass forwards

B) Take risk every now and again

C) Tadic is a left winger or nothing

D) Boufal is the only number 10 we have. Play him there, let him attack, or don't bother playing him.

E) Try actually crossing the ball

Great post.

2 direct, quick out and out wingers to do what exactly? Get to by line and whip crosses in? to whom? Whenever we go forward we've got no one in the area who can head the ball and rarely have more than a couple of players in the box anyway. What we need is a Siguedsson type player. Central attacking midfielder who can pick out Gabbiadinis runs, which are excellent, use the ball quickly and weigh in with goals themselves. The problem is i'm struggling to think of any who would come here and that's worth having.

Attack teams on the counter and get in behind the back 4, like we did under Koeman, Like Leicester done last weekend. Of course this would also require a slight tweek in tactics by the manager, but we are painfully slow at the moment.

I agree we also need a creative CM, i.e Siguedsson, but like you've pointed out they are difficult to come by. Especially ones with PL experience to come straight in.

I still would like us to go for Wilshere, if Arsenal would sell that is. Play him in an advanced CM role with Lemina and Romeu behind him and I think he will add that bit of creativity we lack in the center of the park.

difficult to come by? Hakim Ziyech son put the reddies on the table

How many times have you seen him play?

How do you know he will be suited to the PL? Are you sure that he will come in and hit the ground running (which is what we need)? I'd suggest no to both and it's just another hipster choice.

Seems to me that there are two schools of thought on how we can best score goals. Firstly we can play the possession game, have the majority of the ball and try to work opportunities with cute through balls feeding the striker(s). To be more effective at that we need to be more adventurous in our attacking play and possibly buy a better creative midfielder who can feed the strikers. This is obviously our preferred style but to be more effective we will need to trust Boufal to be the creative midfielder and put up with his inconsistencies.

Sometimes we won't be able to play a possession based game so we need to have an alternative style - a counter attack option. We have just about everything needed to do this apart from a target man who can cause problems for the opposition defense either with his speed or size (or both). He also needs to be able to score. Long has some of these attributes, but can't regularly score.

Personally I'd only look for a target man in January (unless we need a like for like replacement if someone leaves). Someone like Jorgensen at Feyenoord, Smolov at Krasnodor or Bas Dost at Sporting.

Totally agree, been saying it all season we miss an upgrade on Steven Davis, not a new striker (Gabbi is good enough) not new "pacy" wingers who run themselves into trouble and cross to no one, not "a mane" (Boufal would do that played in the right position), but a direct midfielder that drives the side, pops up on the edge of the box with a shot or two at the right time and can pick the runs of our attack.

That said those types of players are going to set you back the best part of £50m in Jan' so we won't be signing one.

The one player I would like us to bring home in January is Morgan Schneiderlin. Why would we sell Bertie and take a risk on Luke Shaw's ability to stay fit. Plain silly.

I don’t think there’s that much risk in shipping out Bertrand if Shaw is incoming.. McQueen or Targett are decent options if Shaw gets injured.

Shaw’s bromance with Poch (and his wages) make me think that Spurs would be more likely, even after Poch’s recent criticism of him.

Transfer Fee?

Wages?

Future Sell-on profit?

Unless we have a massive change of policy, can't see it happening. Perfect kind of player though.

I don’t think transfer should be an issue.

Our keeper is on a reported 80k, what should you pay a striker who averages a goal every other game for club and country?? Olivier would be great for 2.5 seasons for us.

The one player I would like us to bring home in January is Morgan Schneiderlin. Why would we sell Bertie and take a risk on Luke Shaw's ability to stay fit. Plain silly.

We don't need Schneiderlin. It's a position that doesn't need filling. Anyway, he is very overrated by some Saints fans. Lemina is better.

People are desperate for signings but I'd go the other way personally. If we can get top drawer players who'll improve us, Alcacer, Walcott types who'll go straight in the team, great. Otherwise, we're a mid-table side with some underperforming attackers but a solid core to the team. We aren't going down.

So make mid-table more worthwhile by giving academy players a chance. We can play Tadic all season, get a couple of goals, a few assists and a lot of dives and moaning...or play McQueen and Sims there instead, give them a proper chance. Fans will be more patient, and I genuinely think they'll give us more balance.

Same with Austin. Ditch him, he's too unfit for this level and our game doesn't suit him. He's 3 choice for one position, so I'd rather have one of the strikers we have out on loan back.

I'd like to sell Redmond too but it won't happen, the club seem to love him. Still, if he ever does have a purple patch of form there's a chance some daft club will pay a fortune for him.

Right now I'd be far happier seeing youngsters getting games and learning. Even JWP, people moan about him but he's a decent professional, has improved and doesn't moan at his teammates then dive every few minutes. Seems crazy in a team struggling for goals and with 2 giant CBs you wouldn't have JWP playing regularly.

Supertramp_-_Famous_Last_Words.jpg

Spoke to an acquaintance tonight, Arsenal fan, old boy, he fratanises some of the folks in the know at Arsenal and apparently this is quite likely. He did say he isn't as quick as he once was, thinks it could be through fear of breaking himself again.

It's been 3.8 and 3.9 on the Sky Transfer Window list (scored out of 5.0) ever since the season started. There is clearly a belief it could happen. And I hope it does. He knows where the goal is.

Spoke to an acquaintance tonight, Arsenal fan, old boy, he fratanises some of the folks in the know at Arsenal and apparently this is quite likely. He did say he isn't as quick as he once was, thinks it could be through fear of breaking himself again.
Yes, most players who do their ACL rarely return at the same physical level.

Walcott's game is so one-dimensionally reliant on pace that his game has clearly dropped off since his knee injury.

Frankly, I don't see the point in selling Rodriguez because he wasn't the player he was pre-injury and then signing Walcott for more money when he too is a lesser version of himself - for the exact same reason.

Sent from my F3311 using Tapatalk

We have strikers at the club who fit each type of scenario. Austin the target man style striker with Gabbi as the off the shoulder type. I guess with Austin playing like the injuries are catching up we might do with another striker of that ilk. Its our style of play that is stifling the strikers generally. Transfers in the Jan window normally are a bit inflated in price too. Wingers...we don't play with wingers it seems, dont like to get to the byline and the ball in the box so a change in tactics would only justify that.

If we could improve on Fraser then I would be keen for that to happen, but again it doesn't seem the club see him as problem with that nice long contract offered.

With our fan base who dismiss and ridicule new signings/managers after 8-10 games, lets hope that if and whoever we do buy, they would also hit the ground running. A target according to some on here we should have been in for - Iheanacho - hasn't exactly done much since going to Leicester for example. He would have been called sunday league standard or something by now on here. ;)

Completely pointless until a decision is made to force MP to play attacking football, or find a manager who will.

New signings will just be told to pass backwards and not take any risks, find themselves isolated or with too many defensive duties then get dropped.

Everyone thinks it's so simple, just sign new players. Any problem, sign more. So much jealousy of Everton in the summer. It's not always the answer.

A) Pass forwards

D) Boufal is the only number 10 we have. Play him there, let him attack, or don't bother playing him.

This 100%. Gabbiadini is a great player, natural goalscorer. Totally wasted by our tactics week in week out. Its scandalous.

We have strikers at the club who fit each type of scenario. Austin the target man style striker with Gabbi as the off the shoulder type. I guess with Austin playing like the injuries are catching up we might do with another striker of that ilk. Its our style of play that is stifling the strikers generally. Transfers in the Jan window normally are a bit inflated in price too. Wingers...we don't play with wingers it seems, dont like to get to the byline and the ball in the box so a change in tactics would only justify that.

If we could improve on Fraser then I would be keen for that to happen, but again it doesn't seem the club see him as problem with that nice long contract offered.

With our fan base who dismiss and ridicule new signings/managers after 8-10 games, lets hope that if and whoever we do buy, they would also hit the ground running. A target according to some on here we should have been in for - Iheanacho - hasn't exactly done much since going to Leicester for example. He would have been called sunday league standard or something by now on here. ;)

Good post

A) Pass forwards

Well, this sums it up for me, together with, Play to our strengths. When we have fast players, pass it behind, when we have technical players, find them room.

Walcott, would be great, an expensive luxury though if each week he is getting frustrated being isolated.

Austin a target man? Have you ever watched him play?

If RB is off we will probably bring in Kieran Tierney.

Sell VVD and buy a class keeper.

Buy 9 more Leminas

We won't get Tierney. If he leaves Celtic, it'll be for one of the top teams. Probably United if they sell Shaw.

Selling VvD mid season would just be complete madness, come the end of the season we could be in a relegation scrap - We need all the quality we can get.

A decent goalkeeper is an absolute priority. Keep VVD. Sell Tadic, who is woeful and a diver and whinger. Play Boufal in the hole and let him take risks there, not nearer our goal. Bring Gabbi into the game

An even greater priority is a decent goalkeeping coach, otherwise we'll see any new goalkeeper going the same way as all of the others at the club.