January 18 transfer window

SKD

We won't get Tierney. If he leaves Celtic, it'll be for one of the top teams. Probably United if they sell Shaw.

Selling VvD mid season would just be complete madness, come the end of the season we could be in a relegation scrap - We need all the quality we can get.

Very few players have made the jump from Scottish football straight to a top 4 team, I doubt Tierney will buck that trend. If Utd buy a new left back then it'll be someone from Europe who is ready made or Danny Rose. If it's Danny Rose then highly likely Shaw will got the other way.

None of the other top clubs need a left back unless Spurs sell Rose to someone else or City decide to get an interim before Mendy is back. Arsenal just bought one, Liverpool just bought one, Spurs have two solid ones and Chelsea have Alonso.

And if we are selling Bertrand, it's likely to be to one of those clubs.

Tierney looks exactly like our sort of signing.

Personally I'd like to see us go after our ex-youth players and rehabilitate/re-ignite their careers - Shaw, Ox and Walcott.

No idea why Chamberlain went from Arsenal bench to go sit on the Liverpool bench when he was never going to jump ahead of Mane, Coutinho, Lallana, Firminho and Salah especially for two/three attacking mid spots. Come January I don't expect him to have played much barring a major injury. They also have Nabby Keita to come as well, restricted those midfield spots even more.

He looks to me like he was signed in anticipation of Coutinho being sold.

Also for all these players, Shaw, Walcott, Ox, if they want to play for England they need to play. Southgate has come out and said if you aren't playing regularly you aren't getting in squads.

However the club seems reluctant to go back so to speak, we've been linked with our former players multiple times but nothing ever came of it.

But I'd plug for those players -

Shaw or Tierney to replace Bertrand.

The Ox and Walcott returning home to add pace to our attack, offering them regular spots to get back into the England squad.

Plus a new keeper.

Maybe sell VVD to fund it all because I just don't see him trying his best for us again.

But honestly I have no expectation that we will sign anyone.

Can't see the need for Shaw at all, we could get rid of Bertrand on the basis of his performances this season and still have two better LB options in McQueen and Targett.

Shaw is much better than those two, he hasn't instantly turned into a bad player, he is still immensely talented. He was in great form for Utd before he broke his leg, and whilst I reckon that he is partly to blame for his non-return to the side, there are question marks over his attitude/professionalism, there are still questions have to be asked of Mourinho as well. He has a terrible record developing young players and giving them game time, and seems like one of those managers that if he takes a disliking to a player then that is it game over.

Personally I'd like to see us go after our ex-youth players and rehabilitate/re-ignite their careers - Shaw, Ox and Walcott.

Agree. It worked for Palace (Zaha) and I think it would suit us, as well as setting an example of the grass isn't always greener (despite your bank balance) to other youngers coming through.

I could see Shaw coming back - Hasn't worked out for him at united for one reason or another. He knows the club, the club knows him, his missus is from Southampton and his family still live in the same area as well.

If he's happy to take a wage cut, which will speak volumes about his character IMO, he'll be the perfect replacement for Bertrand.

As a side note, youngsters at the top clubs should look at Bertrand's career. Some times you need to take 1 step back to make 2 forwards. Fair play to him if he gets a move to City.

Man Utd may loan out Shaw in Jan and then sell in summer. Ideal chance for us to try before we buy.

10:12

SHAW TO BE LOANED OUT?

Jose Mourinho is considering the possibility of loaning out Manchester United full-back Luke Shaw in the January transfer window, The Sun reports.

The paper claims Mourinho is prepared to let him leave for the remainder of the campaign before looking to sell him permanently in the summer.

The 22-year-old has been out of favour at Old Trafford under Mourinho, and though injury ruled him out for the majority of last season, he has rarely featured this campaign.

Shaw has played just twice this season in the Carabao Cup - amassing 48 minutes playing time in total - while he has turned out for Man Utd's U23 side on four occasions.

Man Utd may loan out Shaw in Jan and then sell in summer. Ideal chance for us to try before we buy.

SHAW TO BE LOANED OUT?

Jose Mourinho is considering the possibility of loaning out Manchester United full-back Luke Shaw in the January transfer window, The Sun reports.

The paper claims Mourinho is prepared to let him leave for the remainder of the campaign before looking to sell him permanently in the summer.

The 22-year-old has been out of favour at Old Trafford under Mourinho, and though injury ruled him out for the majority of last season, he has rarely featured this campaign.

Shaw has played just twice this season in the Carabao Cup - amassing 48 minutes playing time in total - while he has turned out for Man Utd's U23 side on four occasions.

Wouldn't mind a try before you buy if it ends up the same situation we got RB....and not the type of situation we lost TA.

SHAW TO BE LOANED OUT?

he'll go to spurs. Poch loved him

https://www.theguardian.com/football/blog/2017/nov/08/premier-league-hits-misses-summer-transfer-window-manchester-city-leicester

Mention for Southampton and Bednarek in particular. Bit of a weird transfer - surely we should loan him out in January.

Surely he is one for the future and not someone to go directly into the first team. Crap article to be honest.

Yeh i don't really see what Torres offers. He's lost his legendary pace that made him so successful for Liverpool, so whilst he might still be a good finisher we will need to create very good chances for him and we aren't doing that.

Both Austin and Gabbiadini are solid finishers, but neither is particularly fast or strong to add that dimension to our play. Long is rapid and works hard, but can't reliably finish, dribble, pass or cross that well or control the ball well enough in tight areas so is generally useless against teams that sit deep and narrow which is where we have struggled.

We either need a target man who will allows us to put crosses in and win second balls off his knock downs or we need a good finisher, with good pace/acceleration and close control who can burst onto short passes in and around the box.

First choice striker for the Jan window would be Giroud, failing that I'd take a punt on getting Pelle back - we're basically trying to replace him and have failed so far. Get him back on an 18 month contract and pay him a good whack of money.

Bring back,

Bring back,

Oh bring back my Pelle to me, to me!

Yeah he's earning a bucket load at Shandong but is he happy??

Surely he is one for the future and not someone to go directly into the first team. Crap article to be honest.

Media can't fathom we might want to bring in a promising young player and bed him in before we sell ! (Unlike our situation in january)

First choice striker for the Jan window would be Giroud, failing that I'd take a punt on getting Pelle back - we're basically trying to replace him and have failed so far. Get him back on an 18 month contract and pay him a good whack of money.

Bring back,

Bring back,

Oh bring back my Pelle to me, to me!

Yeah he's earning a bucket load at Shandong but is he happy??

Giroud turned down Everton in the summer, he wouldn't come to us and we wouldn't pay the money to get him to us... Good player though.

Forget the striker recall Gallagher and spend some money on upgrading the midfield we have technically good finishers in Austin and Gabba problem is nobody is intelligent enough football wise to play to Gabbas strengths...

You watch games and pay attention to Gabba he is making good clever runs into the box the issue is players are not on the same wave length / level. The service into the final third is lacking a cutting edge. As a result he is isolated.

We need somebody who can unlock a back four and can create... I can't think of anybody what we need is a cheap Kevin Debruyne lol

Forget the striker recall Gallagher and spend some money on upgrading the midfield we have technically good finishers in Austin and Gabba problem is nobody is intelligent enough football wise to play to Gabbas strengths...

You watch games and pay attention to Gabba he is making good clever runs into the box the issue is players are not on the same wave length / level. The service into the final third is lacking a cutting edge. As a result he is isolated.

We need somebody who can unlock a back four and can create... I can't think of anybody what we need is a cheap Kevin Debruyne lol

Said it in the summer, I’ll say it again... Jack Wilshere. Providing he can stay fit, which is a big ask, he’d be perfect to replace an aging Steve Davis and would add genuine creative quality to our midfield

Said it in the summer, I’ll say it again... Jack Wilshere. Providing he can stay fit, which is a big ask, he’d be perfect to replace an aging Steve Davis and would add genuine creative quality to our midfield
JW comes complete with accessories, his own stretcher and wheelchair, no thanks.

Sent from my SM-T580 using Tapatalk

You can say it as many times as you like but it still is a poor idea, he is injured far too much and overrated...

I remember being very impressed by him when he came on as a sub for Real Sociedad in a pre-season friendly at St Mary's back in 2013. He looked the classiest player on the pitch. He was relatively unknown and hadn't broken into the French national squad then and we could have signed him for around 12 million but obviously nobody at SFC thought he was worth it.

I remember being very impressed by him when he came on as a sub for Real Sociedad in a pre-season friendly at St Mary's back in 2013. He looked the classiest player on the pitch. He was relatively unknown and hadn't broken into the French national squad then and we could have signed him for around 12 million but obviously nobody at SFC thought he was worth it.

Bloody Cortese!

Considering the season before he had scored 10 for Sociedad on the wing as they qualified for the Champions League, I highly doubt he was unknown to football clubs around Europe, nor available for £12m, nor remotely interested in a move to Southampton. But obviously it's Les Reed's fault... :mcinnes: