January 18 transfer window

SKD

We have been linked with a young striker from the Championship. In and out this season but has four league goals...

Thoughts?

Sheyi Ojo - Fulham (on loan from Liverpool)

Josh Murphy - Norwich

Josh Onomah - Villa

Kenneth Zohore - Cardiff

All young and scored 4x

Any actual news of someone coming in before the game at Watford? I understand players like Walcott are likely to sign at the end of the window, if at all, but surely we need some fresh money entomology for this weekend?

I've often wondered why we wait until the end of transfer windows to bring in players, some of whom are injured or unfit. It must either be some financial consideration or simply lack of planning because it makes little sense in terms of the football team. Pre-season training and matches in the summer window are missed by the new players and, worse still, in the January window several important matches are missed by them. If Liverpool hadn't got van Dijk in when the window opened, they might well be out of the FA Cup now.

Any actual news of someone coming in before the game at Watford?

Yep, all done and dusted last week. Was announced in the Ulaanbaatar Bugle I believe (you may have missed it as it wasn't on the back page).

one deal has been agreed awhile now,player and his family were at Huddersfield game both sides are happy it's sorted.I'm not giving out his name it'll be announced this week.
Edited by trousers

Linked with Nicolas Gaitan from Atletico Madrid on twitter.

Gaitan's agent has been tub thumping of late. Trouble is he doesn't play a great deal at Atli and wants to be in the eye of his national team coach in the build up to the WC. Don't think Atli are all that keen to let him go though, hence usual agent manoeuvres.

Funny how people are so much more favourable about other team's players.

Mahraez is better than our creative players sure, but hasn't been that brilliant this season. Tadic at the top of his game is also a very good attacking midfielder. Someone getting the best from Boufal would give us another good creative option.

Gray has had bursts of form, but overall he's just potential. Is his burst of form that different to Redmond's when he got in the england squad? Essentially they're both fast dribblers who lose the ball too much.

Vardy is far more prolific than ours. Slimani has been a huge disappointment there, wouldn't put him above Austin really, maybe similar level. Ihaenacho has been wasted there, but so has Gabbiadini here. Think they're fairly similar to be honest.

Okazaki doesn't score that many, works hard, he's like Long was when on form. Ulloa useful back up but a limited player.

Seems odd to judge our players when hugely off form as if it's impossible they can find form again, while assuming other team's players will all find form.

Spot on... [emoji106]

Sent from my ONEPLUS A5000 using Tapatalk

Funny how people are so much more favourable about other team's players.

Mahraez is better than our creative players sure, but hasn't been that brilliant this season. Tadic at the top of his game is also a very good attacking midfielder. Someone getting the best from Boufal would give us another good creative option.

Gray has had bursts of form, but overall he's just potential. Is his burst of form that different to Redmond's when he got in the england squad? Essentially they're both fast dribblers who lose the ball too much.

Vardy is far more prolific than ours. Slimani has been a huge disappointment there, wouldn't put him above Austin really, maybe similar level. Ihaenacho has been wasted there, but so has Gabbiadini here. Think they're fairly similar to be honest.

Okazaki doesn't score that many, works hard, he's like Long was when on form. Ulloa useful back up but a limited player.

Seems odd to judge our players when hugely off form as if it's impossible they can find form again, while assuming other team's players will all find form.

Mahrez is far quicker than Tadic, can dribble and beat players as effectively as Boufal and has a better shot than either of them.

Redmond isn't a fast sprinter, he is quick over 5 yards and has poor natural movement. He never attacks the area. Gray is fast and direct.

Vardy is a horrible little turd, but is far more effective than anyone we have at the club.

Slimani hasn't had much of a chance there, his goal record with a possession based team that looks to pin their opposition in is excellent though. Think he doesn't really suit Leicester's counter attacking style.

Iheanacho is a natural poacher with good pace but isn't as good as effective as Vardy, which is why he doesn't play much.

Okazaki is better with the ball than Long, but isn't as quick.

As a team they're much quicker and more physically powerful than our players in similar positions.

Now we've lost VVD I think their central defense is better than ours, we still have better fullbacks and CM than they do, though. Their goal keeper is miles better.

Overall, they have a far better balance of players than we do. Probably not much to choose between our teams in defense, but up front they're miles better.

Ineacho or Walcott? The former would likely be a better investment and play more. The latter would provide a huge lift for the fans and his name would sell lots of merch. Either could score the type of goals we’re not currently scoring and both have footballing brain. One would cost around 2/3rds of the other...guess which one Les would favour?

Ineacho or Walcott? The former would likely be a better investment and play more. The latter would provide a huge lift for the fans and his name would sell lots of merch. Either could score the type of goals we’re not currently scoring and both have footballing brain. One would cost around 2/3rds of the other...guess which one Les would favour?

I like Iheanacho - just not sure how he’d fit in our formation.

I have to admit I'm starting to get a little concerned at our lack of activity, was really hoping we'd at least have a fresh face in the squad before Watford. The fact we didn't have deals lined up ready to be signed in the first week of the window makes the decision to let Virgil go before the window had even opened (the timing for confirmation of the deal rather than the fee) all the more baffling. If anything, it has just shown the rest of the world that we are cash rich and in very poor form so encourages them to ratchet up the prices for us. Equally concerning that there was a lot of noise in the ITK channels that at least one player had visited the training ground and now that seems to have gone quiet. Hope we haven't been caught out as was reported in the last window where we thought we had our preferred CB target secure only to be told that the price had increased once we'd sold Fonte.

Anything less than 2 players in by the end of the window and serious questions will need to start being asked of the board (to the extent they don't already need to be).

I have to admit I'm starting to get a little concerned at our lack of activity, was really hoping we'd at least have a fresh face in the squad before Watford. The fact we didn't have deals lined up ready to be signed in the first week of the window makes the decision to let Virgil go before the window had even opened (the timing for confirmation of the deal rather than the fee) all the more baffling. If anything, it has just shown the rest of the world that we are cash rich and in very poor form so encourages them to ratchet up the prices for us. Equally concerning that there was a lot of noise in the ITK channels that at least one player had visited the training ground and now that seems to have gone quiet. Hope we haven't been caught out as was reported in the last window where we thought we had our preferred CB target secure only to be told that the price had increased once we'd sold Fonte.

Anything less than 2 players in by the end of the window and serious questions will need to start being asked of the board (to the extent they don't already need to be).

To be honest who would want to sign for us we are in a mess top to bottom

To be honest who would want to sign for us we are in a mess top to bottom

We are still a Premier League club that pays Premier League wages so I'm sure there are people out there that would improve us. See Wolves have made a £35m bid for Andre Silva and AC Milan. I know they have got a rich, ambitious owner and an inside line with Portuguese players due to their links with Mendes but it does say something when you are slightly envious of a Championship side's ambition in the transfer market.

Oh FFS! Troll on!

Are they American? I've not bothered with the link as I read the post below this one but I don't recognise a 'center' back as a position in English footy.

Now when are we getting rid of Pellegroano and getting in some decent players and a manager with a clue?

I wonder if our rumoured search for a new manager is hindering us signing new players?

Probably.

Even if we were looking at players you suspect Les will be focusing on one deal at a time. Before moving on to the next name on the list for that position.

Agents stalling, want more ££ and players very reluctant to join a team in real danger of relegation. Definite impact on Theo deal, which is now looking very iffy at best and AN Other, I've no name as of yet but I believe French, who has now decided against a move.

I'll try to find out more before the weekend. Hope they are wrong about Theo, I'd like to see him at Saints.

Agents stalling, want more ££ and players very reluctant to join a team in real danger of relegation. Definite impact on Theo deal, which is now looking very iffy at best and AN Other, I've no name as of yet but I believe French, who has now decided against a move.

I'll try to find out more before the weekend. Hope they are wrong about Theo, I'd like to see him at Saints.

Looks like EFL then DW.

Jesus, not good news.

Ffs. Another reason to bin off the manager, maybe we could get someone in who could persuade some of these players and keep us up. If Theo doesn't want to commit to us though then he probably shouldn't bother. Edited by hypochondriac

Not a shock. Anyone joining a team in our position and with our trajectory is going to need a lot of money to make the risk worth it. The board's decision to stand by our dead duck of a manager has pretty much decided that's how it has to be.

There has still been nothing shown up to this point that indicates things will be turned around. We're relying on the other poor teams not hitting any sort of form.

Positive stuff :mcinnes: (thanks for the info)

I'd rather they just paid the agents the going rate (i.e. excessive rate) this year (rather than engaging in the admirable task of trying to position ourselves near the bottom of the total agent fees list), since we don't exactly have the luxury to play such a game at present. At least that would remove one of the obstacles, allowing us to focus on convincing players of our Prem status (which shouldn't be hard give how Ralph is predicting a single digit finishing position - write a bunch of relegation release clauses in then, Kreuger :p )

Edited by Donatello

Frustrating, but no real surprise.

Our position, and our no-hope manager simply isn't going to help us attract players. A proper manager would help.