January 18 transfer window

SKD

Thanks for the link. Always a bit dubious about using YouTube for gauging a player, but certainly looks interesting. And it would appear he can actually score a goal, unlike certain other people I could think of.

Next question - is he mad? I mean, the money will soften the blow but life on the French Riviera traded in for a relegation scrap on the Solent?

Kevin Palmer tweeted yesterday that Sturridge was not so keen on coming here. According to this article from the Mirror, Sturridge wants a Saints move...

http://www.mirror.co.uk/sport/football/news/disillusioned-daniel-sturridge-wants-southampton-11769386

The article also says that Saints are ready to sell Gabbiadini.

Shame of true about Gabbi. He'd score in teams that create opportunities.

I'd normally be against breaking our pay structure & bringing new players in at vastly higher wages than everyone else. The problem this causes is wage inflation with existing players then wanting more money. However at the moment this shouldn't be a problem. I doubt if any of them have the balls to try and claim they're underpaid for the performances they've been turning in, and even if they did knock on Les' door asking for a pay rise they'd be laughed out the room.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Interesting - would be a shame to se gabbi go, must be soul destroying being the forward in our team at the moment. And not sure I'm so keen on Sturbridge as a transfer. With his fitness record it'd be an expensive risk, worth it for 6 months while he'd be doing his upmost to get to the World Cup, but as a permanent move? Not su sure.

There was talk about him being homesick back in the summer.

Would be a shame if he left.

I’d be choked if Gabbiadini left and we kept Long. One of the benefits to selling Long, is that Pellegrino would not be tempted to play him over strikers who can actually score goals.

The article could simply be incorrect, or made up. Or Gabbiadini could be homesick, or perhaps (most worryingly) this is indicative of Pellegrino’s influence over transfer policy.

So as a summary at this stage we're linked with Walcott, sturridge & plea, with gabbi rumoured to be off. There's been talk (probably just hopeful) of dembele, sessegnon, Mawson, jullien, gaitan, and nothing about a goalkeeper.

Any of the resident itks care to confirm if any of the above is right?

Edited by Chewy
Missed a couple

I’d be choked if Gabbiadini left and we kept Long. One of the benefits to selling Long, is that Pellegrino would not be tempted to play him over strikers who can actually score goals.

The article could simply be incorrect, or made up. Or Gabbiadini could be homesick, or perhaps (most worryingly) this is indicative of Pellegrino’s influence over transfer policy.

Totally agree.

The attacking midfielders failure to react to Gabbi’s runs seems almost wilful sometimes (probably just a lack of football intelligence to notice him though).

I’m sure Walcott would work well with him if Pellegrino doesn’t insist Walcott just keeps running towards the corner flag and making high crosses in Gabbi’s vague direction.

Following Leandre's tweet I am going for a double swoop on Nice for Plea Winger/Striker and Seri playmaker.

Plea for about 25 and Seri 17mil I reckon (they lowered their price recently apparently)

Already have good relationship, have them team up with Boufal and have Gabbi's runs through the middle and we are in goal city :-)

Gabbi might be better with Walcott

Just like Long was way better with Mane

Problem is you need more than just players for it to work.

Just now (despite his electric start) you'd have to add Gabbi to the poor signing list. His fault or not, its just not happening.

Following Leandre's tweet I am going for a double swoop on Nice for Plea Winger/Striker and Seri playmaker.

Plea for about 25 and Seri 17mil I reckon (they lowered their price recently apparently)

Already have good relationship, have them team up with Boufal and have Gabbi's runs through the middle and we are in goal city :-)

Wishful thinking on Seri? No chance of us getting him, most of the top clubs in Europe want him

From Kris Carpenter on Twitter (An Arsenal fan) Fans of Southampton you MIGHT just be about to land the thing you need the most, a top quality centre forward....

French outlets confirming #OGC are in active negotiations to sell Alassane Plea to the Premier League side, suggested €25m fee, absolute steal...

#SaintsFC

Gabbi might be better with Walcott

Just like Long was way better with Mane

Problem is you need more than just players for it to work.

Just now (despite his electric start) you'd have to add Gabbi to the poor signing list. His fault or not, its just not happening.

Line 2 is bull and you know it so why post it.......

Just a bit of minor trolling I guess, can't help yourself can you?

From Kris Carpenter on Twitter (An Arsenal fan) Fans of Southampton you MIGHT just be about to land the thing you need the most, a top quality centre forward....

French outlets confirming #OGC are in active negotiations to sell Alassane Plea to the Premier League side, suggested €25m fee, absolute steal...

#SaintsFC

No French reports on Twitter that I can find.

Isn't line 2 the bit that says Long was miles better with Mane? Thats spot on IMO. That spell was the outlier in Long's career.

But Long was way better when playing with Mane in the second half of the second Koeman season. Can’t see how you can really refute that!

It's balotelli. He's mental. Do you remember Dani Osvaldo?

yes, but I also remember the Championship.

***, player who can get goals , player who Is out of contract in the Summer. Premier League experience.

More Positives than negatives.

(***edit: formerly wrongly stated. "Player desperate to get back into International Set-up of team who'll be at Russia")

Edited by Nolan
ignorant

I hear this a lot and I did tend to agree but then Austin comes in and has been smashing them in all over the place. Why hasn’t anyone else, is it that they just aren’t good enough?

Because our other players are better at playing to Austin's strengths than to Gabbiadini's. Gabbiadini is a first-class player and we should do all we can to build our attack around him.