January 18 transfer window

SKD

The esteemed list of smaller players listed above picks out some of the worlds best and guys who all had/have guile skill and lower body strength. But my point was we have too many similar bodies who we see get bullied and brushed off the ball week after week. Nothing to do with previous decades. Look at our League One and Championship teams, they would batter our current team,

It was the manager yet again that was the problem today, not the players. He had a good set of players 2-0 up playing well and decided to be ridiculously defensive from the 1st minute of the second half inviting pressure.
He didn't decide to be defensive. He didn't invite pressure. Watford changed their game to a more direct, physical aerial bombardment and forced us to be defensive.

We are always going to be vulnerable to those tactics as we don't have enough big, string players to counter. Yes, MP might have made changes, but I don't think they'd have necessarily made things better. We needed to step up our intensity to cope with the onslaught, and to a large extent, did. But we list composure and couldn't play our way out.

I don't believe for a moment that it was our change of tactics that made the difference in the second half.

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk

Just watching the Levante v Celta Vigo game, Sisto looks really good for Celta. Pacy, good finisher but can also pass the ball well & tracks back. Wonder how much he'd cost? Valued at £13.5m on Transfermarkt. Did play against Saints for Midtyjlland in the Europa League, anyone remember how he played then?

He didn't decide to be defensive. He didn't invite pressure. Watford changed their game to a more direct, physical aerial bombardment and forced us to be defensive.

We are always going to be vulnerable to those tactics as we don't have enough big, string players to counter. Yes, MP might have made changes, but I don't think they'd have necessarily made things better. We needed to step up our intensity to cope with the onslaught, and to a large extent, did. But we list composure and couldn't play our way out.

I don't believe for a moment that it was our change of tactics that made the difference in the second half.

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk

A good manager would have done something about it. He simply has no plan B or ability to make positive changes. This isn't the first time we've given a chalk and cheese performance. If it's down to personnel then why the hell are we on day 14 of the window and still no signings when we have known our glaringly obvious weaknesses since August? It is largely down to tactics and 98% of fans can see that.

Sent from my SM-A300FU using Tapatalk

Just watching the Levante v Celta Vigo game, Sisto looks really good for Celta. Pacy, good finisher but can also pass the ball well & tracks back. Wonder how much he'd cost? Valued at £13.5m on Transfermarkt. Did play against Saints for Midtyjlland in the Europa League, anyone remember how he played then?

A very good player. Would have been ideal to replace Mane last year.

Doubt we’d be able to get him now though.

So any clues on the incomings yet or should we surmise Theo & Carrillo?

Really doubt that we'll get Carillo as of yet. Falcao has been injured since December and Jardim won't let Carillo go at least until Falcao proves his fitness again; Anyway Carillo limped off injured the other evening and was on the bench against Montpellier yesterday. Is expected to be in Monaco's squad for Tuesday's game, against Nice again I think.

Looks like Walcott is part of the Arsenal squad at Bournemouth today as well, interesting to see if he gets any game time.

Edited by Window Cleaner

Ah the ‘medical booked for Monday’ comments. This despite all medicals now being done in house by employees of the football club.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

do players not get MRI scans? Are they done in house? Not sure if a CT scan is performed, but I doubt the club has that equipment in house or does it?

do players not get MRI scans? Are they done in house? Not sure if a CT scan is performed, but I doubt the club has that equipment in house or does it?

From what I've read I thought part of the medicals were conducted at the University.

Babacar was rated highly a few years back, wonder what happened to him?

He has the attributes we lack though in terms of height/power and pace, but I wouldn't expect us to be all over that. We're too fussed on bringing Theo back, which won't happen anyway. Then we'll re-sign Cacares on a free in Feb.

As you can tell, I'm seriously angry with this club at the moment. The whole place just feels passive with absolutley no sense of urgency at any level. They all need a rocket up their backsides.

He has the attributes we lack though in terms of height/power and pace, but I wouldn't expect us to be all over that. We're too fussed on bringing Theo back, which won't happen anyway. Then we'll re-sign Cacares on a free in Feb.

As you can tell, I'm seriously angry with this club at the moment. The whole place just feels passive with absolutley no sense of urgency at any level. They all need a rocket up their backsides.

What it feels like to me is arrogance. There's an arrogance about us & a feeling that we believe our own hype.

I would go further, it is ineptitude in my opinion.

It almost feels as though the hierarchy don't give a ****

What it feels like to me is arrogance. There's an arrogance about us & a feeling that we believe our own hype.

Yeah, we are full of it. Lots of back patting going on, probably still, over the £75m for VVD. Whatever happens the fact we got 75m for VVD will seem a successfull season to the powers that be, our model is to buy low and sell high, if we achieve that - good stuff. Seemingly performance on the pitch is secondary. The fact we've had the 'chat' about him trying to re-align our expecations says it all to me.

What is it that Ralph has on his desk? the 5 goals of the new owners or some clobtrap like that? Maybe he's having to change the wording and remove his references to single digits. He is the most unlikable bloke ever.

PREM QUARTET AFTER GAITAN

Today's transfer news has been dominated by one South American winger but if reports are to be believed, another could soon be on his way to the Premier League.

Atletico Madrid's out-of-favour Argentine international Nicolas Gaitan is reportedly the subject of interest from Southampton, Everton, Crystal Palace and West Ham, according to Mundo Deportivo.

Gaitan moved to Atletico from Benfica 18-months ago but is no longer in Diego Simeone's plans.

This guy seems to get a ton of mentions to us this window. Likely our Theo alternative? (Which, lets face it, is going to be needed).

Yeah, we are full of it. Lots of back patting going on, probably still, over the £75m for VVD. Whatever happens the fact we got 75m for VVD will seem a successfull season to the powers that be, our model is to buy low and sell high, if we achieve that - good stuff. Seemingly performance on the pitch is secondary. The fact we've had the 'chat' about him trying to re-align our expecations says it all to me.

What is it that Ralph has on his desk? the 5 goals of the new owners or some clobtrap like that? Maybe he's having to change the wording and remove his references to single digits. He is the most unlikable bloke ever.

Err, excuse me...."with £166 million of players sold to Liverpool alone since 2014" :poundit: :poundit: :poundit: :poundit: :poundit:

one deal has been agreed awhile now,player and his family were at Huddersfield game both sides are happy it's sorted.I'm not giving out his name it'll be announced this week.

Oh and we can expect a couple more,our new owner was absolutely furious after the 4-1 Leicester debacle,

The club media team are taking longer and longer to do their player-unveiling videos aren't they?

Really looking forward to seeing it though.

Nicolas Gaitan: Move to Inter seems close

14 January at 10:00

As per reports from Corriere dello Sport, Atletico Madrid outcast Nicolas Gaitan is close to joining Serie A giants Inter Milan.

Gaitan, now 29, has failed to break into the first-team under Diego Simeone this season, making just a single start in the La Liga and making just as many starts in the Champions League too. While he was decent last season, the Argentine has not carried on from where he left off.

Corriere dello Sport say that the former Benfica man is close to joining Luciano Spalletti at Inter Milan, who have edged close to striking an agreement with the winger.

It is said that Gaitan would want to move, if his agent strikers a deal with the nerazzurri and his agent has already made it clear previously that Gaitan would want to move in search of regular time on the pitch, something he isn’t currently getting at the Wanda Metropolitano.

Kaustubh Pandey(@Kaus_Pandey17)

Nicolas Gaitan: Move to Inter seems close

14 January at 10:00

As per reports from Corriere dello Sport, Atletico Madrid outcast Nicolas Gaitan is close to joining Serie A giants Inter Milan.

Gaitan, now 29, has failed to break into the first-team under Diego Simeone this season, making just a single start in the La Liga and making just as many starts in the Champions League too. While he was decent last season, the Argentine has not carried on from where he left off.

Corriere dello Sport say that the former Benfica man is close to joining Luciano Spalletti at Inter Milan, who have edged close to striking an agreement with the winger.

It is said that Gaitan would want to move, if his agent strikers a deal with the nerazzurri and his agent has already made it clear previously that Gaitan would want to move in search of regular time on the pitch, something he isn’t currently getting at the Wanda Metropolitano.

Kaustubh Pandey(@Kaus_Pandey17)

Steve de Ridder probably next on our list.

There is nearly always a team who think they are too good to go down who get relegated
Nearly always?

Over the last five years maybe Villa (but nah, they'd had some dreadful seasons before that) or Newcastle (again lower mid table and been down not long before, 15th in the season before). West Ham a while back maybe.

Not sure the likes of Hull and Wigan and Sunderland and Middlesbrough and Norwich fit that description. Most relegated clubs are either first-season up teams straight back down, second season syndrome teams or have been on a gradual slide/flirting with relegation in previous seasons before succumbing.

6th to 8th to down actually is something of a rarity and will be a pretty spectacular drop. Definitely not something that nearly always happens.

Nearly always?

Over the last five years maybe Villa (but nah, they'd had some dreadful seasons before that) or Newcastle (again lower mid table and been down not long before, 15th in the season before). West Ham a while back maybe.

Not sure the likes of Hull and Wigan and Sunderland and Middlesbrough and Norwich fit that description. Most relegated clubs are either first-season up teams straight back down, second season syndrome teams or have been on a gradual slide/flirting with relegation in previous seasons before succumbing.

6th to 8th to down actually is something of a rarity and will be a pretty spectacular drop. Definitely not something that nearly always happens.

Not many teams decide to sack a manager for being too defensive and then employ an even more defensive replacement.

We're a special club that does everything The Southampton Way™ and we're moving rapidly to our new level, as promised by the board.

From the Mirror transfer page:

Tottenham are confident of winning the Premier League scrap for Stevenage starlet Ben Wilmot.

Rookie defender Wilmot, 18, is heading to the top-flight in a £850,000 deal this month.

Liverpool, Leicester, Brighton and Southampton all also fancy Wilmot, who was given his big break by the League Two club this season.

Stevenage could also be raided for highly-rated teenage striker Mark McKee before the month is out.

Boro boss Darren Sarll said: “Part of my job is to produce players for the club to be financially compensated for in whatever way.”

In my opinion, it's too late to sign any player or players who would make a difference. Relegation, which was a strong possibility before Christmas, when the board could have acted by changing the manager, has now become a strong probability. As the window passes with no inward transfer action, the suspicion must be that this is also the conclusion that the board has reached. That in practical terms, the squad cannot be improved with more players who would be similar to those we already have.

Glad we did, Bas Dost failed in the Bundesliga and would certainly fail in the PL.

16 Bundesliga goals in 2014/2015. Then he broke his foot halfway into the next season, already at 8 goals. Remember that time when he scored 11 goals in 6 Bundesliga games? That was magnificent. Especially this game:

Anyway, we're not getting him.

An ITK claim on the Reddit forum is that Saints will be signing RB Ryan Fredericks of Fulham, with Targett going the other way on loan. The fee is not yet agreed.

I’m not sure what to make of this, since the club only seems to be considering attacking options according to its media mouthpiece in the Telegraph if I recall, but there seems to be a bit of a need for depth at RB as Pied’s contract winds down.

Fredericks was speculated as a Swansea/Stoke target last week by the Daily Mail:

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-5242711/Stoke-Swansea-battle-Fulhams-Ryan-Fredericks.html

An ITK claim on the Reddit forum is that Saints will be signing RB Ryan Fredericks of Fulham, with Targett going the other way on loan. The fee is not yet agreed.

I’m not sure what to make of this, since the club only seems to be considering attacking options according to its media mouthpiece in the Telegraph if I recall, but there seems to be a bit of a need for depth at RB as Pied’s contract winds down.

Fredericks was speculated as a Swansea/Stoke target last week by the Daily Mail:

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-5242711/Stoke-Swansea-battle-Fulhams-Ryan-Fredericks.html

That will keep us up :)

Starting to buy players at Championship level wages 6 months early. Great planning as always Les :thumbup: