January 18 transfer window

SKD

Yep, the myth that they've all been part of top half sides. Where on earth did I dream that one up? You know, other than watching matches, looking at results and league tables.

You'd have to be a prize Wigley to get this squad relegated.

I've been calling our clown the Argentinian Wigley, and on reflection I think we're being very unfair. On Wigley.

In englese?

With Verdi possible starting, Bologna intends to take precautions with possible substitutes. Today there was a meeting with the agent of Orsolini but there is also another idea for the attack. This is Manolo Gabbiadini: an idea, this, for the immediate (if Southampton lets him go right in January) or for June. There was also a meeting for him between the agent and the rossoblù company, intent on returning to Serie A Gabbiadini. It will be only to see if the times will be short or will work for the summer.

So if Carrillo arrives, it may be instead of Gabbi rather than in addition to...

What's crazy is we heard how multi functional he is....

Can play up top / Off the flanks / 2nd striker etc

I don't think we've tried him as anything other than lone striker have we?

Hardly surprising given our manager is it? Can only think in “like for like” terms. Heaven forbid we actually try something different given we haven’t won in the league since October - there’s a novel concept.

We've used him in a sort of hopeless half-arsed deeper forward / number 10 role as a sub a couple of times this season.

Well it’s hardly a surprise. Getting no games and rumoured for some time he wants to go back to Italy.

Given that we’ve only got 2 fit strikers available to us and are only out of the relegation zone on goal difference I find it pretty surprising that any bottom half club would even consider letting anyone capable of getting goals in this league out of their sight to be honest. But this is Saints, we’re too good for players like Gabbi clearly.

Yep, the myth that they've all been part of top half sides. Where on earth did I dream that one up? You know, other than watching matches, looking at results and league tables.

You'd have to be a prize Wigley to get this squad relegated.

Most of the players that accounted for those finishes have left. If you’ve been paying attention and watching, we’ve sold our best players. Frankly only Bertrand and Tadic (who was frequently dropped by Koeman) have been mainstays in terms of games played and impact on performance. You might also count Davo but so far he’s been a shadow of seasons past.

But if you want to go all MLG and say that the likes of JWP, Targett and Yoshida were in every squad that finished in the top half -indeed they have more pedigree than anyone on your staggeringly literal and naïve measure, then fill your boots pal.

There is certainly greater overlap between this year's squad and last year's squad; but it was a squad that finished closer to the relegation places than 7th point-wise. Your argument is a bit rich given you were among the loudest on here to proclaim last season's finish was a statistical mirage.

Of course, you've got it drummed into your little head that it’s all about the managers and nothing to do with the players. Life's complicated pal. It allows for more than one explanation. It’s possible to have a midtable squad which because of a lack of real quality can never quite rest easy and then have a manager who turns that latent unease into a full-blown sh*t-show.

What’s happened to you? You were always wet but generally pretty thoughtful and balanced.

#bangaverage

Ta for the insult.

If you think we have a rubbish squad, fine. I don't. I'm not really interested in making excuses for this manager.

If you truly think he's got a decent amount out of his resources...well, we must be watching different games...or sports.

I see players playing badly, having seen them play a hundred times better before. If that is wet, or really bothers you that much, my apologies.

We have a few quality players left but the problem is the spine of the team is weak. Goalkeeper - central defence - central midfield - central striker, and those positions are the crucial ones. If you've got nobody up front who can score goals and nobody at the back who can stop them, it doesn't matter if you have classy wing-backs.

Ta for the insult.

If you think we have a rubbish squad, fine. I don't. I'm not really interested in making excuses for this manager.

If you truly think he's got a decent amount out of his resources...well, we must be watching different games...or sports.

I see players playing badly, having seen them play a hundred times better before. If that is wet, or really bothers you that much, my apologies.

I didn't say it was rubbish. I'm saying it's not as good as the squads you're drawing comparisons with. We're no longer a squad that sits comfortably above the midtable mush, even as it falls short of the top six or seven (Poch 2013/2014). We're a team with a much lower floor but shouldn't be anywhere near the relegation places which is due to some bad luck but largely ****** poor management.

We have a few quality players left but the problem is the spine of the team is weak. Goalkeeper - central defence - central midfield - central striker, and those positions are the crucial ones. If you've got nobody up front who can score goals and nobody at the back who can stop them, it doesn't matter if you have classy wing-backs.

And limited creativity. I like Boufal as much as the next person but he's yet to truly take the team by the scruff of the neck and make himself undroppable; I've been critical of Tadic going back to Koeman - I see a player who's stagnated but he's not a fundamentally different under Puel or MP. And Redmond can't be relied on at the moment.

Ta for the insult.

Adrian, I don't think Shurlock is saying we have a rubbish squad - he's saying that it's been whittled down to a middle-of-the-road group now lacking the quality we had in crucial positions...ie CB, striker, attacking mid. Add in the two recent Managerial appointments, especially MP and you have the perfect storm for free fall.

To claim that we have a squad that is way weaker than we have had before is just plain making excuses for a rubbish/limited manager. OK, this is not the same squad that we had under Pochettino - in some ways it is weaker, in other ways stronger - but it is not much different than the squad that Claude Puel managed to get up to eighth. Only we now also have Lemina and Hoedt - both of whom are (or were) in my opinion good purchases and better than the alternatives: Hoedt is better than Yoshida or Stephens and Lemina is better than Davis and Hojbjerg (though I think Davis has always been a good player for us and Hojbjerg is now beginning to finally live up to some of the hopes we all had for him when he arrived).

Of course, you could argue that now that we have sold VVD the squad is weaker, but that again ignores the fact that we have got to where we are with VVD until two weeks ago and that he was actually injured for half of last season.

At the same time, I am not denying that we have lost some great players and that some of the players we have bought have yet to adequately replace the players that came before - but nevertheless, this is still a squad that a decent manager should be able to get up to the top half of the table without too much difficulty and with a full season of games in which to do it.

In addition, each time we have sold a player for a lot of money we have generally used that to strengthen what used to be a squad with no depth, so that if a player gets injured we have players of sufficient quality to replace them that we should generally be able to minimise the effects of that (though, yes, there are still clearly weaknesses in the squad).

So, let's avoid revisionism - Claude Puel was not the world's greatest manager but he did get this squad up to the top half of the table despite injuries and involvement in European competition and the League Cup. If he can do that, then this is certainly a squad that we should have been expecting to be able to get up to the top half.

In short, the change that could have the biggest benefits in terms of how we fare for the rest of this season is a change of manager; other changes including the addition of a decent quality striker and centre back could also help that new manager to begin to restore our fortunes in the remainder of this season.

To claim that we have a squad that is way weaker than we have had before is just plain making excuses for a rubbish/limited manager. OK, this is not the same squad that we had under Pochettino - in some ways it is weaker, in other ways stronger - but it is not much different than the squad that Claude Puel managed to get up to eighth. Only we now also have Lemina and Hoedt - both of whom are (or were) in my opinion good purchases and better than the alternatives: Hoedt is better than Yoshida or Stephens and Lemina is better than Davis and Hojbjerg (though I think Davis has always been a good player for us and Hojbjerg is now beginning to finally live up to some of the hopes we all had for him when he arrived).

Of course, you could argue that now that we have sold VVD the squad is weaker, but that again ignores the fact that we have got to where we are with VVD until two weeks ago and that he was actually injured for half of last season.

At the same time, I am not denying that we have lost some great players and that some of the players we have bought have yet to adequately replace the players that came before - but nevertheless, this is still a squad that a decent manager should be able to get up to the top half of the table without too much difficulty and with a full season of games in which to do it.

In addition, each time we have sold a player for a lot of money we have generally used that to strengthen what used to be a squad with no depth, so that if a player gets injured we have players of sufficient quality to replace them that we should generally be able to minimise the effects of that (though, yes, there are still clearly weaknesses in the squad).

So, let's avoid revisionism - Claude Puel was not the world's greatest manager but he did get this squad up to the top half of the table despite injuries and involvement in European competition and the League Cup. If he can do that, then this is certainly a squad that we should have been expecting to be able to get up to the top half.

In short, the change that could have the biggest benefits in terms of how we fare for the rest of this season is a change of manager; other changes including the addition of a decent quality striker and centre back could also help that new manager to begin to restore our fortunes in the remainder of this season.

I don't think too many people are disputing your thesis and recommendations.

Well done for arguing with yourself and answering a question nobody's asked.

Could this window be set to rival last January as an omnishambles?

As I see it:

Carrillo will be the striker. We need one with more presence. Its a gamble but unless you pay big dough then you can't sign proven PL strikers, and we won't pay.

At least MP knows what he is getting. I say at least, because its clear (even more so after Stoke's search) that we will be retaining him.

Out wide we are badly in need of some pace and goal threat. That is why Walcotr would have been ideal. You wouldn't get a more proven PL wide player with 100 goals for that price, would have been a great signing and would have given the whole club a lift.

CB a must. Backup RB at a push could wait til summer.

Deals Needed:

1. Carrillo or similar targetman type

2. Pace out wide

3. CB who can lead the defence.

Tick tock Leslie Arnold and Wee Ross...

I think we will end up with just Carrillo, after hyping to all the favoured Journalists about Walcott, Tosun, Benteke, Shaw, Sturridge, Mawson etc.

If so, would rather have kept VVD til end of season.

Jan 16th.

Van Dijk sold on 1st Jan for 75million

Where's our f**king transfers ???

Are you surprised? We seem very good at selling and **** poor at buying. Take last January - it was beyond evident that we needed goal scorers, evident from about June. When did we sign Gabiaddini? 30th January.

Are you surprised? We seem very good at selling and **** poor at buying. Take last January - it was beyond evident that we needed goal scorers, evident from about June. When did we sign Gabiaddini? 30th January.

Reed Penny counting.

Sometimes you miss your targets because of greed then you panic on the last few days of the transfer window and get nothing.

Can he really afford to approach it like this considering our poor league position?

Carrillo doesn't seem inspiring on the face of it, but when you delve a little deeper - this season he's made 15 appearances (13 as a sub) and scored 4 goals. In those 15 games in total he's played 417 minutes, which works out around 27 minutes a game. In the 2 games that he HAS started, he's scored 2 goals.

He might not be the tallest, but neither was Tim Cahill and he was a beast in the air in the opposition box.

I'm keeping optimistic.

Carrillo doesn't seem inspiring on the face of it, but when you delve a little deeper - this season he's made 15 appearances (13 as a sub) and scored 4 goals. In those 15 games in total he's played 417 minutes, which works out around 27 minutes a game. In the 2 games that he HAS started, he's scored 2 goals.

He might not be the tallest, but neither was Tim Cahill and he was a beast in the air in the opposition box.

I'm keeping optimistic.

We buy a lot of players that have sat on the bench a lot.

Gabby, Lemina and Boufal to name a few.

I thought we buy them to play not stick them back on the ****ing bench again.

Why in 2017, why not the whole season?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

At a guess, I would say its because after the New Year we didn't have Austin but Gabbiadini had come in and VvD was out. The only other major change was the loss of J-Rod. So that squad most closely resembles what Mo Pe has had (although he's also had Lemina & Hoedt).

In answer to the question, we had 6 wins (at home to Leicester & Crystal Palace, away to Sunderland, Watford, West Brom & Boro), 2 draws and 9 defeats. Compares to the current record of 4 wins, 9 draws and 10 defeats in 23 games.

We buy a lot of players that have sat on the bench a lot.

Gabby, Lemina and Boufal to name a few.

I thought we buy them to play not stick them back on the ****ing bench again.

They will probably be sold because Pellegrino doesn't rate them, while the black box miraculously finds an ex-Alaves, ex-Estudiantes and ex-Valencia player to replace them with.

Most of the players that accounted for those finishes have left. If you’ve been paying attention and watching, we’ve sold our best players. Frankly only Bertrand and Tadic (who was frequently dropped by Koeman) have been mainstays in terms of games played and impact on performance. You might also count Davo but so far he’s been a shadow of seasons past.

But if you want to go all MLG and say that the likes of JWP, Targett and Yoshida were in every squad that finished in the top half -indeed they have more pedigree than anyone on your staggeringly literal and naïve measure, then fill your boots pal.

There is certainly greater overlap between this year's squad and last year's squad; but it was a squad that finished closer to the relegation places than 7th point-wise. Your argument is a bit rich given you were among the loudest on here to proclaim last season's finish was a statistical mirage.

Of course, you've got it drummed into your little head that it’s all about the managers and nothing to do with the players. Life's complicated pal. It allows for more than one explanation. It’s possible to have a midtable squad which because of a lack of real quality can never quite rest easy and then have a manager who turns that latent unease into a full-blown sh*t-show.

What’s happened to you? You were always wet but generally pretty thoughtful and balanced.

#bangaverage

I have to agree with the general viewpoint of Shurlock. But I will go further.

Point 1 - This year's team is weaker than last year's team.

Point 2 - The quality of the other teams around us has improved.

Point 3 - Given Points 1 and 2 above, its no surprise we are floundering. I expect Puel would be doing just as badly at saints, possibly worse given he was incapable of even scoring.

I have to agree with the general viewpoint of Shurlock. But I will go further.

Point 1 - This year's team is weaker than last year's team.

Point 2 - The quality of the other teams around us has improved.

Point 3 - Given Points 1 and 2 above, its no surprise we are floundering. I expect Puel would be doing just as badly at saints, possibly worse given he was incapable of even scoring.

Not sure about 1. We brought in Lemina and Hoedt and have had Gabbi available for the whole season. We started the season with VVD. He's now been sold but that's not altogether different from last season given VVD missed the second half of the season. The only loss this season is Jrod whose influence is pretty limited.

Why do you think this season's side is weaker?

Not sure about 1. We brought in Lemina and Hoedt and have had Gabbi available for the whole season. We started the season with VVD. He's now been sold but that's not altogether different from last season given VVD missed the second half of the season. The only loss this season is Jrod whose influence is pretty limited.

Why do you think this season's side this weaker?

Last year we had VVD. This year we had a totally disinterested vvd. And none of the players we've signed have been improvements on the 1st team (or they'd be starting every game). Therefore its a weaker team in my opinion. The best you will get is that we have broken even quality wise (obviously our bank balance has improved :?)

Last year we had VVD. This year we had a totally disinterested vvd. And none of the players we've signed have been improvements on the 1st team (or they'd be starting every game). Therefore its a weaker team in my opinion. The best you will get is that we have broken even quality wise (obviously our bank balance has improved :?)

Lemina is quite clearly good enough. He's either not playing because he's not fit or because the manager's an idiot.

(Or potentially a third option about not being motivated, not trying etc. Something which again is surely down to the manager).

Lemina is quite clearly good enough. He's either not playing because he's not fit or because the manager's an idiot.

(Or potentially a third option about not being motivated, not trying etc. Something which again is surely down to the manager).

Lemina is a bit of an enigma really. Don't know about his time at Juventus but at the OM he wasn't an ever present. Think he's played about 140 games in total at the age of 24 and change. When you think that even JWP is pushing 200 at 23 or so it makes you think about it.

Lemina is a bit of an enigma really. Don't know about his time at Juventus but at the OM he wasn't an ever present. Think he's played about 140 games in total at the age of 24 and change. When you think that even JWP is pushing 200 at 23 or so it makes you think about it.

Have you considered it is easier for a young player to get games for Saints than it is for Italian champions Juventus?