January 18 transfer window

SKD

Any CB links or are we not doing that?

I think Stephens is learning, Yoshi can be ok, but ultimately we could do with more. Hoedt looks very good, but you'd rather it wasn't all down to him in his first season in this league.

We need another centre half, someone with a bit of physicality, Yoshida, Stephens and Hoedt get bullied too easily.

This. Ideally also dominant in the air. I like Stephens and Yoshida, but neither are great in the air.

Even though Hoedt is tall, I'm not convinced that he is great in the air either. I think he has potential but needs a dominant strong partner who can head the ball. All in all, we have three centre halfs and none of them are good headers of the ball. We have a very unbalanced team throughout.

So still no actual news? And the club just leaking outlandish targets through our PR lapdogs.

If we have no concrete incomings by this weekend I will be getting seriously worried about this board.

Either back the manager, or sack him and back the new one.

This indecision is probably the worst thing we can be doing!

Sent from my HTC One_M8 using Tapatalk

So still no actual news? And the club just leaking outlandish targets through our PR lapdogs.

If we have no concrete incomings by this weekend I will be getting seriously worried about this board.

Either back the manager, or sack him and back the new one.

This indecision is probably the worst thing we can be doing!

Sent from my HTC One_M8 using Tapatalk

On what evidence have you jumped to the conclusion they are being indecisive? For all you know, they know exactly what they want to do. Of course it would be great to have targets in on 1st January; but selling clubs, players and agents often want to wait to see what other interest can be generated.

On what evidence have you jumped to the conclusion they are being indecisive? For all you know, they know exactly what they want to do. Of course it would be great to have targets in on 1st January; but selling clubs, players and agents often want to wait to see what other interest can be generated.

Something Southampton F.C haven't quite learnt yet when it comes to flogging our players.

Deals can get done quick, you just have to throw money at it. If you try and penny pinch the negotiations are bound to drag on longer.

You’re not following the forum rules. Dithering & being indecisive is actually not doing what you want them to do . Therefore being decisive by sticking by the manager, is actually being indecisive or dithering. Deciding what a players value is, what he’s worth & sticking decisively to that valuation and not overpaying, is again, indecisive. As is putting an offer into a player you want but the player or club rejecting it, that’s indecisive.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Edited by Lord Duckhunter

You seriously went to bed last night thinking "if we haven't signed anyone by 5am tomorrow morning, nothing's happening tomorrow either?"

Sent from my SM-J330FN using Tapatalk

It's not often I jump to Alpine's defence because I generally think he's a misguided twonk.

However, as he's on Central European time, he's an hour ahead so there's less time to sign players in the day....

Have we done that thing again where we try to sign players above our station and get turned down after lengthy negotiations? Fair enough if we do manage to get someone decent over the line but this has shades of last January at the moment. I really really hope we have some backup options and we don't leave it too late...

2016-17 revenue in £m (v 2015-16 revenue)

1) Manchester United 581.2 (515.3)

2) Real Madrid 579.7 (463.8)

3) Barcelona 557.1 (463.8)

4) Bayern Munich 505.1 (442.7)

5) Manchester City 453.5 (392.6)

6) Arsenal 419 (350.4)

7) PSG 417.8 (389.6)

8) Chelsea 367.8 (334.6)

9) Liverpool 364.5 (302)

10) Juventus 348.6 (253.5)

11) Tottenham 305.6 (209.2)

12) Borussia Dortmund 285.8 (212.3)

13) Atlético Madrid 234.2 (171)~

14) Leicester City 233 (128.7)

15) Internazionale 225.2 (134)

16) Schalke 197.8 (167.9)

17) West Ham 183.3 (143.8)

18) Southampton 182.3 (124.3)

19) Napoli 172.5 (107.8)

20) Everton 171.2 (121.5)

Yet still no signings

Kenedy going on loan to Newcastle. Very good young winger who could have done a job for us. Lets hope we're not banking on a deal for Promes the way we did with Walcott. Can see it not happening and leaving us with nobody

I would go as far as saying that it’s extremely unlikely we will sign Promes, so we have to hope the club have lined up some other good options.

Well a week away from the transfer window slamming shut .......begining to think a great PR job is being done on us all , the hope of a prime signing like Promes being drip feed to the press etc !!!!

Please please Les go and get viable signings for us .....moussa dembele has been declared by celtic as available fro 20m , Slimani is available and would solve the big man issue .

Stop shooting for impossible signings just to placate and feed the masses lip service , seen it before TBH

I think the problem is that no one who is half decent is interested in joining us. We look like prime relegation fodder at the moment and about as attractive as a lump of dog poo to any footballer with ambition. Only realistic options are possibly loan moves with future fees agreed if we stay up, but that's hardly attractive to the selling club unless the loan fees are huge.

Its probable that we'll just have to make do with what we've got, unless we can spot someone from a weak league who can improve us. I thought that's what the black box was for? Not just picking big-club bench players.

I think the problem is that no one who is half decent is interested in joining us. We look like prime relegation fodder at the moment and about as attractive as a lump of dog poo to any footballer with ambition. Only realistic options are possibly loan moves with future fees agreed if we stay up, but that's hardly attractive to the selling club unless the loan fees are huge.

Its probable that we'll just have to make do with what we've got, unless we can spot someone from a weak league who can improve us. I thought that's what the black box was for? Not just picking big-club bench players.

You may be right. In which case, having a manger who knows what he is doing with the players at hand is essential.

Oh...

I still find it very frustrating that fans believe that hearing no news means that we're not actually doing anything.

Who said that ?

The fact is that they are failing to convince anybody because the board have been utterly arrogant, negligent, complaicent, and have totally trashed the clubs so-hard-worked-for reputation of the last 5 years...

Liebherrs decision to get out of Dodge Ctiy with her money and sell us to the first dilletante to pop up and manage to secure a line of credit has torn the heart out of the club..

Edited by alpine_saint

Think the problem is more with agents, they get a sniff that we, or any other non top 6 club is interested, they then spend their time contacting other clubs saying their client is avaialable, look club 'A' is interested, can you better their offer? The agent tells the player to hold tight as other irons are in the fire. Club 'A' has to sit back waiting for no better offers to be made available to the player, hoping their plans aren't thwarted at the last minute. It's why most deals for the smaller clubs are done at the end of the window, may as well change it to a week so this ridiculous charade isn't replayed every time.

Think the problem is more with agents, they get a sniff that we, or any other non top 6 club is interested, they then spend their time contacting other clubs saying their client is avaialable, look club 'A' is interested, can you better their offer? The agent tells the player to hold tight as other irons are in the fire. Club 'A' has to sit back waiting for no better offers to be made available to the player, hoping their plans aren't thwarted at the last minute. It's why most deals for the smaller clubs are done at the end of the window, may as well change it to a week so this ridiculous charade isn't replayed every time.

Or just do away with transfer windows completely.

This exactly how it works. Agents hold all the cards.

There's a great book waiting to be written on the rotten practice of agents. I wonder if/when the game, including players, decides to stand up to them

There's a great book waiting to be written on the rotten practice of agents. I wonder if/when the game, including players, decides to stand up to them

Interesting listening to Billic last night saying how players/Agents basically hold all the cards except at clubs like Juve/ManU. And if one Agent has 5/6 players at your club, then they really do hove you by the short and curlies.