January 18 transfer window

SKD

Why would the players want to stand up to them?

A lot of big transfers now require a lump sum fee paid to the agent which needs to be negotiated separately to transfer fee/wages. If a player's dream move is blocked because of the agent's fee, I hope the player would begin to call them out

Think the problem is more with agents, they get a sniff that we, or any other non top 6 club is interested, they then spend their time contacting other clubs saying their client is avaialable, look club 'A' is interested, can you better their offer? The agent tells the player to hold tight as other irons are in the fire. Club 'A' has to sit back waiting for no better offers to be made available to the player, hoping their plans aren't thwarted at the last minute. It's why most deals for the smaller clubs are done at the end of the window, may as well change it to a week so this ridiculous charade isn't replayed every time.
Yep, which makes it difficult sometimes if you are not a superclub to get a really decent player in. We need to be offering competitive wages and be setting deadlines, which I am sure we are.

Or just do away with transfer windows completely.

I can think of a few things wrong with that

1. Big club has a bad run, takes your best player when you're playing well

2. Big club has an injury, takes your best player when you're playing well

3. Big club is below you in the league, takes your best player when you're playing well to try and disrupt you

4. You're about to play a big club, a word in a journalists ear about wanting to buy your best player next week, suddenly you have an unsettled player and maybe a sudden injury

At least with the transfer window the players know that when it closes they have to knuckle down (in theory) for the next 6 months. Imagine having the vvd go on all through the season, him sulking trying to force a move, every press conference the talk about him.

I can think of a few things wrong with that

1. Big club has a bad run, takes your best player when you're playing well

2. Big club has an injury, takes your best player when you're playing well

3. Big club is below you in the league, takes your best player when you're playing well to try and disrupt you

4. You're about to play a big club, a word in a journalists ear about wanting to buy your best player next week, suddenly you have an unsettled player and maybe a sudden injury

At least with the transfer window the players know that when it closes they have to knuckle down (in theory) for the next 6 months. Imagine having the vvd go on all through the season, him sulking trying to force a move, every press conference the talk about him.

You make a valid point but of course there is a chain in football and the club that has been poached would just look for replacements down the chain which is what happened before the window was introduced.

The situation is pretty clear: the club, especially Reedo and Wee Willo will be judged at the end of the window. Not today, not tomorrow but on the morning of 1st Feb.

We know we have sold our best player for a lot of money, but if they use that money and bring in 2 or 3 players who instantly improve our side then fair play, they will have done a good job.

If they just bring in one player, or none, or sign utter dross then it will be judged as another cluster**** window.

Until 1st Feb you cannot really judge. And you certainly cannot claim they are not doing anything because you have no idea if that is true or not.

I still find it very frustrating that fans believe that hearing no news means that we're not actually doing anything.

I think it is more a case of many fans getting frustrated because sold (arguably) our best player even before the window opened, with the club telling us that they know we need reinforcements and they would be incoming. Yet, more than three weeks later, all that has happened (in regard to actual signings) is that we have loaned one more out and seen the club's stated number one target go elsewhere.

Think the problem is more with agents, they get a sniff that we, or any other non top 6 club is interested, they then spend their time contacting other clubs saying their client is avaialable, look club 'A' is interested, can you better their offer? The agent tells the player to hold tight as other irons are in the fire. Club 'A' has to sit back waiting for no better offers to be made available to the player, hoping their plans aren't thwarted at the last minute. It's why most deals for the smaller clubs are done at the end of the window, may as well change it to a week so this ridiculous charade isn't replayed every time.

Strange how this hasn't stopped many other clubs from making signings.........

Or just do away with transfer windows completely.

Or, at least, do away with the January transfer window. All signings should be done before the season commences (as it will be from next season) and you have to make do with that squad until the season ends.

If a star player gets injured and will be out for months, live with it, use your squad, promote the youth players, etc.

Maybe clubs should be banned from appointing new managers/coaching staff during the season too?

The situation is pretty clear: the club, especially Reedo and Wee Willo will be judged at the end of the window. Not today, not tomorrow but on the morning of 1st Feb.

We know we have sold our best player for a lot of money, but if they use that money and bring in 2 or 3 players who instantly improve our side then fair play, they will have done a good job.

If they just bring in one player, or none, or sign utter dross then it will be judged as another cluster**** window.

Until 1st Feb you cannot really judge. And you certainly cannot claim they are not doing anything because you have no idea if that is true or not.

Of course they should be judged on 1st February; just as they, and probably the manager, should only be judged at the end of the season. But part of being a football fan is to criticize the managers, players, directors and owners, as well as refs and their assistants, other fans, etc, etc.

However, as I mentioned above, I think the main point of frustration right now is that: VvD was sold (more or less) before the window had opened; the club keep telling us they know we need to strengthen the attack, yet three weeks later nothing has happened; almost everyone remembers what a clusterfluk the board made of the transfer window twelve months ago (and, it could be argued, this and the previous summer too).

Do you not see any similarities between this January and the last? Admittedly, Fonte was sold later in the window than VvD was (on 20th January) but then, as now, we were desperately short in attack the entire month before eventually bringing Gabbi in on deadline day - despite having been linked with him virtually the entire month. I am certain that his services could have been acquired earlier, for a little bit more shilling.

Is it any wonder that many are now expecting our only signing to be Carrillo on deadline day?

I am generally one of the happy clappers. Even in 2005 I was sure we would stay up. This time around I will be surprised if we do; and there is a feeling of certain people playing the fiddle whilst our premier league status burns away around us........ I hope that feeling proves to be baseless come February 1st and, more importantly, May 14th.

Starting to want it to be the sacking not a signing at 3

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I've been lucky enough to be passed a snippet of Les' press release ahead of the 3pm announcement:

"Mauricio has decided he's taken us as far as he can and has stepped down. As Marco Silva happened to be walking by St Mary's at the time, we've offered him the role of manager, which he's accepted. Here are the 3 new signings we'd held back so Mauricio couldn't train their abilities out of them."

Or, at least, do away with the January transfer window. All signings should be done before the season commences (as it will be from next season) and you have to make do with that squad until the season ends.

If a star player gets injured and will be out for months, live with it, use your squad, promote the youth players, etc.

Maybe clubs should be banned from appointing new managers/coaching staff during the season too?

Agree with this. Have always thought it plays into the hands of the wealthier clubs more, especially the top 4 who have the capability to throw serious money at a problem if they find themselves a few places off where they think they should be. Let them deal with their shoddy decisions like everyone else has to.