Southampton v Burnley Build-up

SuperSAINT

I'd say that this game is a must win if we're going to stay in touch with European places.

Burnley have completely transformed their away form from last season and now look well organised and very difficult to beat. Fingers crossed Wood is still out injured for them. I thought they'd struggle with the excellent Heaton out injured but it doesn't seem to have had much impact.

Can't imagine they'd let Dyche leave now without a fight, not much they can do if he resigns I suppose.

Got the money to not settle for only out of work managers?! Not sure there is anything wrong with it tbh, pay the money - it's just football.
Our recruitment planning is good that the black box can accurately calculate when our top Managerial target is out of work so we can swoop saving millions in compensation.

We must be the only team to always get our top choice without paying a penny to another club.

Adkins the last Manager we paid for.

I can't imagine Dyche would go to Everton atm. Burnley have never had it so good.

Every game is a hard game for us at present. Can only hope we score early again, but this time have the sense to press home our advantage with a 2nd and 3rd goal, rather than sitting back trying to frustrate the opposition and defend a single goal.

That clown Carragher, was blathering on about how Dyche would be pretty much insane not to take the Everton job. As "Burnley are just" and he stopped himself saying just a little club (but it pretty much fell out of his mouth) the money he would have available to him at Everton dwarfs the money Dyche has a Burnley............. I had to turn over, think Gary Neville standing there wished he could turn over too: his tongue looked like it was getting pretty painful with his teeth sinking deeper into it as the clap trap fell out of Carraghers mouth.

No doubt the deckchairs will be rearranged slightly and 16;50 will take an age to arrive.............. Oooooo there's the Winter yellow ball now, that'll brighten up proceedings.

I can't imagine Dyche would go to Everton atm. Burnley have never had it so good.

Every game is a hard game for us at present. Can only hope we score early again, but this time have the sense to press home our advantage with a 2nd and 3rd goal, rather than sitting back trying to frustrate the opposition and defend a single goal.

He'd be mad not to ... biggest job he's ever gonna get and think he'd do well there. Everton completely lost their way under Koeman, just need to get some organisation and some belief back into themselves. He needs to steady the ship, trade a few in and out and find himself a decent striker, Everton give him time he could easily get them back into the top 6/7.

Everton is a tough job.

They have an aging and pretty poor defence and no striker. Would take at least a season and a half to make them "good", and "good" for them will be finishing 7th or 8th but their mongy supporters think they are better than that.

That said, I doubt he will ever get offered a job at one of the contenders. I don't know much about Burnley but presume they lack the budget to be a regular top-half team so it would make sense for him.

Do a decent shift at Everton and he'll be in line for the England job when Southgate goes.

As for the match, I haven't been much of an advocate of the 352 but our attacking play is getting so predictable and one dimensional that I think it's time for a switch.

---------------------------------McCarthy(?!)---------------------------------

-------------Yoshida-------------Van Dijk--------------Hoedt----------------

Cedric-----------------------------Romeu-------------------------Bertrand

---------------------Lemina------------------Boufal--------------------------

-----------------------Gabbi-------------------Long--------------------------

Sub: Forster, Targett, JWP, Davis, Redmond, Tadic, Austin.

As for the match, I haven't been much of an advocate of the 352 but our attacking play is getting so predictable and one dimensional that I think it's time for a switch.

Apart from the daft idea of dropping Forster, I'll go with that. Boufal fluffed his lines on Sunday but that doesn't mean he shouldn't get another chance (although knowing our manager he'll [probbaly play Redmond!). Tadic needs a rest, he looks dispirited and all the poor-me antics didn't help his cause one little bit.

I cannot see Dyche being stupid enough or greedy enough to leave Burnley for Everton, he knows he won't get time to build a solid team. As for "taking Burnley as far as he can", 7th in the PL doesn't suggest to me that the partnership of him and Burnley has gone stale or run out of steam yet, far from it.

SSN: Everton to approach Burnley for Dyche in next 24 hours.

Based upon a quick look at the Grand Old Team forum, the blue scousers will be even less impressed with this appointment than they were with Koeman’s two summers ago.

Talking to a manager who’s under contract with a PL rival during the season seems a bit dirty to me. I know many will disagree - business is business, you have to look after your own and all that but I don’t particularly like it. Losing Dyche could have a crushing impact on Burnley’s season.

Based upon a quick look at the Grand Old Team forum, the blue scousers will be even less impressed with this appointment than they were with Koeman’s two summers ago.

Talking to a manager who’s under contract with a PL rival during the season seems a bit dirty to me. I know many will disagree - business is business, you have to look after your own and all that but I don’t particularly like it. Losing Dyche could have a crushing impact on Burnley’s season.

I just love the way that SSN announce that "One source says Everton intend to speak to Burnley in the next 24 hours".

The absolute arrogance of it. Why not today? I hope Burnley tell them to f*** off.

Isn't Lemina out for "at least a month"?

Isn't Lemina out for "at least a month"?

Yes can't see him being available for this one, that would allow him not to be included in Gabon's squad and have a couple more weeks recovery here during the international break ready to return hopefully for Liverpool away after that.

I agree. Perhaps some sort of transfer window for managers would be the answer.

Nice one love to see this team

Whoa!!!

That is far too avant-garde for the current edition of the mighty Saints!

That line up when announced at 13:30 will see the 999 switchboard light up like a Christmas Tree as folks collapse across the City!

Playing Burnley at home is exactly the kind of game this Saints team will struggle with. They'll be compact, well organised etc, we'll really struggle to break them down.

we will score 1 at the most......and their keeper will be hardly troubled outside of the set-piece/individual bit of brilliance that gets us the goal

Hojbjerg came on and made a difference immediately. Until then midfield was getting bypassed and we lost the possession. Really need to play The Hoj next to Romeu. Play Boufal through the middle behind Gabbi. Tadic in his best position in the left, and Davis or Redmond on the right. I remember Poch used to play Davis on the right quite a few times when needing to. Hoedt and Virgil looked good together and the only real doubt for me, is who starts between the sticks. That is a real valid question now I'm afraid.

Playing Burnley at home is exactly the kind of game this Saints team will struggle with. They'll be compact, well organised etc, we'll really struggle to break them down.

We will have about 79% possession, mostly in front of their 4-6-0 formation, but only two shots on target and no doubt lose 0-1 to a hopeful long range shot that Forster gets no where near.

Don't know how people are consistently refusing to play Tadic.

Yes he goes down easily. Yes he drops his head. His defensive work is a lot better but not on a par with Long.

Even so - HE IS OUR ONE PLAYER THAT CAN BE A LITTLE MORE CREATIVE UP FRONT.

Other options?

Boufal and Redmond - nice in a 1v1 but not good for linking play

Davis - Next best option for a Tadic replacement

JWP - Not as creative and tends to be a lot slower decision making

Long - no first touch, no control, only pace, width and work rate but little creativity

Gabbiadini - our only striker and needed to stretch the defense and be in the box

My point - I think finding the right combo of players is obviously the golden solution everyone wants to find, but refusing to play Tadic makes no ****ing sense if you want to win the game.

Against Burnley for ****s sake, who will be tight and compact, Long is in no way going to help 'unlock' that defense......because there is no room in behind!

My team for what it is worth:

---------Forster (reluctantly)----------

--Cedric---Hoedt---VVD-----Bertrand-

--------------Romeu---Davis-------

---Gabbiadini----Tadic-------Boufal---

---------------Austin---------------

Why?

Austin because on corners or set pieces we'd stand a chance at getting a lucky goal in the box

No Long because little space behind

No JWP because too many side ways passing but could have as easily played him instead of Austin and moved Gabbiadini up front.

No Redmond because little effectiveness but him and Boufal linking with Bertrand on the left are much of a muchness

Davis, not Hojbjerg, beside Romeu because we do not need two defensive midfielders and Davis will hopefully look for a forward pass more than PEH

Worth listening to what MP said after the game when thinking of team selection.

He said we didn't have a player of Lemina's type before we signed him and that he does a lot of running and covers a lot of ground. Therefore he felt he had to replace him with two players in the middle which meant only one striker.

I totally get that. All our other CM options are slow, JWP, Hojbjerg, Romeu, to a slightly lesser extent Davis (and even Clasie when he was here). That definitely makes a difference.

Our recruitment planning is good that the black box can accurately calculate when our top Managerial target is out of work so we can swoop saving millions in compensation.

We must be the only team to always get our top choice without paying a penny to another club.

Adkins the last Manager we paid for.

No proof whatsoever that the last two were the top choice. The "Les Way" could have put all sorts off.

"I pick the squad and assistants, you shut up and run the soccer team thingy."

"New one next term, so don't buy a house locally."

Everton pay their managers 6 million a year now remember... I'm sure they won't pay Dyche that much but whatever they do pay will be 4 or 5 times more than he's on at Burnley

If they pay Dyche four or five times what he's on at Burnley, they'd be paying a sight more than £6m. I don't know for sure what his basic salary is, but I'm sure it won't be less than any of the players; and the players' bonuses last year for those that played most of the games were £500k. The manager's bonus wouldn't be less than that.

Dyche has signed three new contracts in his time at Burnley, the most recent being this summer. He knows his worth, and so do Burnley's board of directors.

I get the impression Boufal will be dropped, very telling that he was yanked before Tadic, despite the latter IMO being way worse and having not done anything for ages. Think he will claim that was Boufal's chance and he didn't do much and we'll be back to same old same old.

I suspect we'll see a very similar team. I'd like to see Austin give a chance in the team, with Gabbi behind him/alongside. I cannot see Forster being dropped, McCarthy must be truly ****e.

Something like -

Forster

Cedric/VVD/Hoedt/Bertrand

Romeu

Hojberg/Davus

Boufal

Austin/Gabbi.

I'd also have McQueen ready to go if Bertrand dials in again.

Anyone know when Sims is back fit? I'd like to see his pace and energy in the team, at the moment half our players play like they can't be bothered.

Hojbjerg came on and made a difference immediately. Until then midfield was getting bypassed and we lost the possession. Really need to play The Hoj next to Romeu. Play Boufal through the middle behind Gabbi. Tadic in his best position in the left, and Davis or Redmond on the right. I remember Poch used to play Davis on the right quite a few times when needing to. Hoedt and Virgil looked good together and the only real doubt for me, is who starts between the sticks. That is a real valid question now I'm afraid.

A very a curate and simple summary of what team we should play.

You would have thought MP would have grasped this by now but Black will yet again play Tadic on the right because Black is either blind or hopelessly out of touch...

A very a curate and simple summary of what team we should play.

You would have thought MP would have grasped this by now but Black will yet again play Tadic on the right because Black is either blind or hopelessly out of touch...

He hasn’t grasped it yet. Pellegrino has unfortunately made it quite clear that Redmond and Boufal are his two competing options for the left sided attacking position.

DT we can't drop Forster, there's nobody else to put in except the U23 lad. Both our so-called back-up keepers are a joke and worse than the Big man. How we got ourselves into this mess is anybody's guess but it makes a mockery of the claim that we have adequate cover for every position and players bust ng a gut to get the call.

Apart from that, Pellegrino knows he is under pressure to get results and from now on play will surely only what he sees as reliable safe options that might get him out of the hole he is in. Hence although logic says vD should not play and Hoedt / Yoshida is the partnership that we should be working with long term, MoPe will only pick players that he thinks best for him now irrespective of Saints long-term best interest, hence vD, Tadic and Redmond will start on Saturday and Boufal will be left on the bench to simmer.