Southampton v Burnley Build-up

SuperSAINT

Absolutely. Last season it did not work with those three last season.

Think it was West Brom at home where we tried it, it didn’t work and we never tried it again. Some of our best performances last year were with JWP on the right crossing low for Gabbi. We haven’t tried that yet this year I don’t think.

Exactly. If MP is so worried about our defence then why not stick with it?

The thinking was that Hoedt would deal better with Murray rather than Yoshida who deals better with faster strikers.

Although on that basis, Hoedt would be better to deal with Wood, so I don't really understand it myself. I've given up trying to work out his team selections tbh.

So no Hoot - perhaps the 'Yoshida for when we face quick strikers' approach?

Redmond, Tadic and Boufal together - which Saintsweb wisdom (and a bit of history too) suggests can't work. Davis in may mitigate this I guess..helping knit things together.

Definitely attacking intent here. Let's hope they can deliver for once.

Argh, why not Boufal in the middle and Tadic on the left? Absolutely unforgivable refusal to learn from his mistakes if that's actually how they line up on the field.

Didn’t think it was possible for us to find a more stubborn manager than Puel but, hats off to Les, he appears have managed it.

The thinking was that Hoedt would deal better with Murray rather than Yoshida who deals better with faster strikers.

Although on that basis, Hoedt would be better to deal with Wood, so I don't really understand it myself. I've given up trying to work out his team selections tbh.

Agreed. Some pretty odd decisions being made, it has to be said.

Forum crying out for more attacking intent and that's what the team offers on paper but it's still wrong........ :rolleyes:

Yes but this seems to be a leaf out of the Steve McLaren Middlesbrough coaching manual - throw as many forwards onto the pitch at once as possible and hope for a goal. People are asking for more attacking style and intent (ie not sitting back as soon as we’ve scored) rather than advocating a totally unbalanced side.

Two questions.

1. Why the f*ck has Hoedt been dropped AGAIN.

2. WHY IS BOUFAL BEING SHUNTED OUT WIDE AGAIN!!! ****OFF!!!

To be fair, that's only the Saints media team's interpretation of the team sheet. We won't find out how exactly they line up until they step out onto the field.

Sad to see Tadic and Redmond both starting when both have been so utterly awful throughout the season. Tadic appears undroppable at times. Also this game was crying out for good delivery by JWP, even if he is poor on the field for me it's a toss up between him and Davis - although Davis is far superior positionally (hence his two goals for us this season!)

Sad to see Tadic and Redmond both starting when both have been so utterly awful throughout the season. Tadic appears undroppable at times. Also this game was crying out for good delivery by JWP, even if he is poor on the field for me it's a toss up between him and Davis - although Davis is far superior positionally (hence his two goals for us this season!)

If we only play players who have played well this season we are down to...... errr Lemina, Cedric and Yoshida

You can only think Pellegrino is rotating the centre backs in an attempt to keep them all relatively happy in the short term. Maybe Liverpool will make a silly offer in Jan for Van Dijk.

Tadic has blown hot and cold this season but he certainly hasn't been utterly awful throughout imo

Though not sure what Redmond has done anything to deserve his recall but JWP his free kick apart was rather mediocre last week.

Just hope redmond actually takes on players given he's been given the chance.