Saints 0 Burnley 1 - Post Match Meltdown

St Chalet

Manager utterly clueless. We are set up not to win. Players don’t have an ounce of pride in the badge. What a mess we are in. I’d sit the ****s down and show them videos of Channon, Keegan, Armstrong, Wallace, Wright, Shilton, wearing the great shirt they are supposed to be honouring. Joke team.

At least that's 5 points for a correct prediction on Sky Super 6. It's depressing that we are that predictable though...

We allow the opposition to dictate the game. They set up how they want to play, and we oblige with our pedestrian, predictable, pointless performances.

Bye MoPe.

That was awful, we’re even worse than we were under Puel.

Thank **** I gave up my ST after last season, seriously never thought I’d be so glad to be missing Saints games but we are in serious need of changes. Reed, MoPe, Black, Fraser, Tadic, Redmond they can all do one.

Thought we looked a little better early on...... moving the ball quicker. But that didn't last much past 20 minutes before we reverted.

We're not a team. We're not well-drilled and working together. We're no longer remotely entertaining.

I'm usually pretty positive and supportive, but MoPe is not good enough. Simple as that.

Time for him to go, sadly.

I don't give a sh*t how much we paid for him - or even what the alternative is - but Forster needs to go.

Beaten by a header from 13 yards out, that bounced.

His foot movement/positional adjustment is - and always has been - awful. That just about sums up Watson's competence as well.

Sorry but I genuinely think the manager is out of his depth. Absolutely clueless as to who our best team is, too defensive, awful subs. I said exactly the same about Puel, I hope we act more swiftly this time though, we've just had an easy run on paper and have pretty much **** all to show for it.

Couldn’t be arsed going, didn’t care when the goal popped up on my phone.
We went down for some beers on 39 minutes and didn't return until 55. Genuinely had a more entertaining time doing that than watching the game. One chance of note with Yoshida but otherwise another abject and dispiriting display. We were very fortunate to win against West brom and wouldn't have if not for some individual brilliance. Surely the new owners won't find this acceptable? Kat has played a blinder and got out at exactly the right time.

I think we were a touch unlucky today.

If the Burnley keeper was not so brilliant it could of been a different story plus If you could swap a decent striker for Long and Austin then we might have an option off the bench.

How the hell can Long be so ****e when he had a chance at goal but panicked and got tackled.

Need Tadic out with Soares and a couple of decent strikers plus swap meat head Forster then I think we might be okay?

Forster: I’ve seen trees go down quicker

Cedric: Can’t cross, pass, shoot or defend.

Yoshida: Best striker we have.

VVD: ****. Barely trying, not a leader on the pitch.

Bertrand: Barely trying, doesn’t even look before a pass into box, wasteful.

Romeu: Shadow of last year, not even getting yellow cards, should be beasting it in midfield, poor passing.

Davis: Tries hard but not particularly good. Not a leader.

Tadic: Woeful on and off the ball.

Redmond: Sloppy and stroppy.

Boufal: Box of tricks but utterly predictable, easy to crowd out around the box.

Gabb: Tries hard, gets no service.

Austin: Not fit, bad attitude.

Long: Tries hard but can’t score or stay onside.

JWP: Physucally weak, not the great set ball guy everyone outside Saints say he is.

Bye MoPe.

That was awful, we’re even worse than we were under Puel.

Thank **** I gave up my ST after last season, seriously never thought I’d be so glad to be missing Saints games but we are in serious need of changes. Reed, MoPe, Black, Fraser, Tadic, Redmond they can all do one.

This

There was a period either side of half time where we were playing well. Boufal and Redmond in particular were trying to make things happen. Davis and Romeu were ticking along nicely too.

Then worryingly either our team's fitness was completely lacking or the opposition changing shape meant we barely had any decent possession from then on.

Austin did nothing when he came on other than being lucky not to be sent off after he lunged to poke on a ball he was too slow and poor to control properly.

The goal we conceded was poor. Maybe being harsh on forster but he seemed tremendously slow in reacting to it.

Personally i'm not sure the manager is the problem, more an issue with the combination of players we have.

We need a new striker in January, one with some aerial ability. Or else get Gallagher back and give him a go.

We won't go down, this is a poor quality league and there are worse teams than us - Palace, West Brom, Bournemouth, Swansea, West Ham, Stoke, Everton...

The gap between relegation and the bottom of mid-table is often no more than six points at the end of the season. So we only need to dip below our apparently superior level for two games before that theoretical advantage disappears. We're in trouble, and if we get spanked a few times during our run of games against the top six between now and Xmas, we could easily establish the kind of negative momentum that has seen teams with expensive squads go down in the past.

Whoever in the other thread said it was smash and grab is deluded. We were not the better team, We were on par with each other. The difference is their manager decided to gamble and change tactics by putting more attackers on. We stuck to our keep possession and move the ball around slow tactics and hope our 1 isolated attacker could do something of quality.

Its clear MP2 isn't a very good manager as he doesn't know where the players should play or how to change tactics to influence a game. He should not have been appointed. And for me that highlights the main problem. Who Appointed him? Reed. Who allowed the back staff to remain even though they have a history of being involved with clubs imploding? Reed. Who bought in many of these players who clearly do not give a crap or put effort in? Reed. Who bought in cheap players and bigged them up as the best midfield in the league? Reed.

Reed, Black and co have to go. They got lucky in the past and thought they could continue to do the same thing every season. The past 2 transfer windows have been a **** up and I expect January to be the same.

Add to this we still do not have a clue about what our owners plans are. Kat said she sold so they could take us to the next level. That level right now is below teams like Burnley and Watford.

As the commentator said we have no plan, no direction and worst of all no positivity. We rested on our laurels and under estimated how improved the teams around us had become. IMO its time for change from top to bottom.

Southampton 2017/18:

Play OK first half, never brilliant but always with a few moments of "that was encouraging" thrown in to give fans hope. 8 outfield players play a 6/10, one plays slightly better and one plays slightly worse. There's a sense that we are the better team but not by much.

Take a step backwards in the second half, by about 65 minutes look totally out of ideas and it now looks like the other team have us, and the game, sussed. Keep doing the same things but keep fingers crossed that a defensive mistake or moment of individual brilliance gives us a chance to score whilst also hoping that Forster does not have to move his feet to make a save, else we will concede and lose the game. End the game wondering why you spent your Saturday afternoon watching that rubbish.

Repeat for pretty much every game.

We should keep a eye out on Peter Bosz at Dortmund. If they decide to remove him, get him ASAP. Plays attacking and attractive, and will demand the best of the players.

I was in the Puel out camp but regret that now. Claude wasn’t the most inspiring coach, but did get results.

Not usually one for calling for a manager's head, particularly so early in to a reign but absolutely no progress has or is being made. In my eyes he has to go. If anything we are more boring, predictable and formulaic that ever. Clearly the players aren't motivated by him and would surely respond to a manager who shows more confidence in our attacking capabilities rather than this turgid, safety-first horse$hit we are currently being subjected to.

Only saw a bit of the 2nd half, before the stream went and we didn't seem too bad, but I have seen the goal, which was soooo stopable. Close down the cross, and have the goalie move his ****ing feet.

It will be interesting to see if we can play a Burnley style for the next few games against the big teams and pick up a point or two, but the coaching staff have no real alternative for an attacking formation, and the squad is too unblanced 2 strlkers need a target man to play off and we don't have one, we only have one number 10 in Boufall for a system that is built around that roll and we ****ed away 6 million on a centre half for the future ( would have been ok if he was the Polish Mark Wright).