Saints 0 Burnley 1 - Post Match Meltdown

St Chalet

We should keep a eye out on Peter Bosz at Dortmund. If they decide to remove him, get him ASAP. Plays attacking and attractive, and will demand the best of the players.

I was in the Puel out camp but regret that now. Claude wasn’t the most inspiring coach, but did get results.

He was the Vitesse manager when we played them in the Europa League.

To play a 4-5-1 you need attacking mids, which we don't have. Without that its a very defensive, time wasting formation. We need to go to 2 or 3 upfront. Gabbi, Austin, and if 2 then Long. Boufal needs to be out there also. The rest who cares. We need to score goals, no goals and no wins. It doesn't matter how much pace we have, how much possession we have, etc. If we don't score it doesn't matter. Also this pace issue with Austin is sos overblown on this forum. He makes good runs and puts the ball on net. He was plenty "pacy" enough to score lots of PL goals, including being our top scorer for the 1st half of last season.

Doing nothing, which means doing the same, is idiotic. It doesn't work with the current make-up of the squad.

Difficult to find the positives in that performance. I'm generally quite well balanced to football but it's really, really difficult at the minute.

I saw several players putting shifts in but for the life of me cannot see how the team is setup to win a game of football. Maybe if we were playing against 8 men I could figure it out but playing against well organized, energised players playing compact defensive football we will struggle to score nevermind win.

It's ineffective, unsophisticated, turgid dross.

Southampton Nil FC

Pfffffffftt

I think we were a touch unlucky today.

If the Burnley keeper was not so brilliant it could of been a different story plus If you could swap a decent striker for Long and Austin then we might have an option off the bench.

How the hell can Long be so ****e when he had a chance at goal but panicked and got tackled.

Need Tadic out with Soares and a couple of decent strikers plus swap meat head Forster then I think we might be okay?

Their keeper wasn’t brilliant. The saves he made were routine, though in comparison to Forster he is brilliant.

I wasn’t a fan of Puel but bringing in a manager who plays the same way that didn’t work is abysmal. We are really in the sh*t and I have never felt less of a connection to a saints team than I do now. No togetherness just a bunch of moaning primadonnas who couldn’t give a toss (Davis, Romeu and Yoshida aside.)

Difficult to find the positives in that performance. I'm generally quite well balanced to football but it's really, really difficult at the minute.

I saw several players putting shifts in but for the life of me cannot see how the team is setup to win a game of football. Maybe if we were playing against 8 men I could figure it out but playing against well organized, energised players playing compact defensive football we will struggle to score nevermind win.

Southampton Nil FC

Pfffffffftt

I can think of three positives straight off the top of my head

1. it was easy to get out the stadium at full time

2. we will not have to worry about losing all our players in the summer

3. Our players wont have their heads turned playing for England

Im sure there are many more

I don't give a sh*t how much we paid for him - or even what the alternative is - but Forster needs to go.

Beaten by a header from 13 yards out, that bounced.

His foot movement/positional adjustment is - and always has been - awful. That just about sums up Watson's competence as well.

He’s beyond borrowed time. What does he need to do to get dropped?

I'm usually all for stability and no rash decisions, but Mope really does need to go as soon as possible.

Definitely. Get rid and use the international break to find a manager. The absolute nightmare would be to sack MP and then leave Eric Black in charge (a la Steve Wigley). I fear relegation if MP stays long term.

Southampton Nil FC

Pfffffffftt

Have to agree, hard to single out individuals as being below par, the whole team just looked out of ideas. And that's been the case for most of the season, we've probably had 3 or 4 good entire halves all campaign.

Aside from Davis and Yoshida, I can't think of another player who would not leave at a drop of a hat.

They can pack their ****ing bags as far as I am concerned. Sick of them and Saints propaganda.

Total **** served up on a Sat/Sun then by Tuesday we’ll get “Cedric says we’ve got to move the ball better”, Thursday we get a clip of Redmond, Tadic, Bertrand, Boufal et al. smiling and scoring goals for fun vs our hapless keepers. Then roll around the weekend for a déjà vu production of MPs favourite dull pointless, goalless anti-football.

**** off!

Forster just proved what an absolute liability he is. So ****ed off

We might as well not have played a keeper. Makes me so angry we gave him that new deal. Utter incompetence from the board, no other way to describe it.

All the hallmarks of a relegation season.

Poor home atmosphere

Players getting stick from fans

Goalkeeper woefully short of confidence

Can't score

Concede late goals

Teams expected to struggle haven't

Lots of ****y PR videos going about

All the hallmarks of a relegation season.

Poor home atmosphere

Players getting stick from fans

Goalkeeper woefully short of confidence

Can't score

Concede late goals

Teams expected to struggle haven't

Lots of ****y PR videos going about

Totally agree. Has a very 2004/5 feel to it doesn’t it? Time for Reed to swallow his pride and admit he’s made a mistake.

Definitely. Get rid and use the international break to find a manager. The absolute nightmare would be to sack MP and then leave Eric Black in charge (a la Steve Wigley). I fear relegation if MP stays long term.

The thing is, I can see Les Reed sacking him and dithering over a replacement. The very last thing we need is a caretaker in charge with these fixtures to come.

He was the Vitesse manager when we played them in the Europa League.

Got Ajax to the EL final last year, beating the likes of Lyon. He’s a stubborn guy and won’t like being told what to do. But he gets results and demands the best of the players.

The thing is, I can see Les Reed sacking him and dithering over a replacement. The very last thing we need is a caretaker in charge with these fixtures to come.

Not sure it matters, we will lose the games with MP so we might as well lose them under a caretaker if it means we get someone better in.

Not sure it matters, we will lose the games with MP so we might as well lose them under a caretaker if it means we get someone better in.

Agree. Adkins as a caretaker whilst Les Reed dithers would at least get the fans back on board, although I don't think he's the long term option. But anything is better than the current coaching setup.

I sincerely hope our new board makes a rash decision. Get rid of this so-called manager

It's just a matter of time before he is sacked. The next five games are tough and it's extremely unlikely the team will gain many points so our league position will clearly be in the relegation area.

The fans by then won't tolerate any more dross football that we have been served up since last December

He will be gone in December . They will sell VVD and spend the money on new players

Pellegrino whether it's his fault or not has shown he can't improve the results

The fact that Les reed appointed a defensive negative manager after Puel is unbelievable

Eric Black ( dr death ) must go too the man that can kill any team

I'd say our squad is weaker than the one Adkins had in his brief time as our manager in this division. We've sold the soul of our club (Fonte, Lambert, Schneiderlin, Lallana) thought we were being clever by replacing them but ended up with a team of players who view us as a stepping stone. I feel nothing for any of our current squad, only feel pity for Gabbiadini and actively dislike more of them than I did when we were struggling season on season back in the 90s.

We're in trouble and really could go down, but if it meant building a team of players who felt something for their team mates or even the club I'd take it again.

I'd say our squad is weaker than the one Adkins had in his brief time as our manager in this division. We've sold the soul of our club (Fonte, Lambert, Schneiderlin, Lallana) thought we were being clever by replacing them but ended up with a team of players who view us as a stepping stone. I feel nothing for any of our current squad, only feel pity for Gabbiadini and actively dislike more of them than I did when we were struggling season on season back in the 90s.

We're in trouble and really could go down, but if it meant building a team of players who felt something for their team mates or even the club I'd take it again.

A fair point but dangerous to wish for relegation as it’s incredibly tough to get out of the Championship these days. I’d say there are already some better sides than us down there (Wolves for example). Does feel like the rot has set in for us, just like it has for Swansea.

We won't go down, this is a poor quality league and there are worse teams than us - Palace, West Brom, Bournemouth, Swansea, West Ham, Stoke, Everton...

All of whom have goalkeepers capable of making saves from time to time though. It does give them a bit of an advantage.

I think the majority of the above posts are spot on and it's time to make some big changes, otherwise we will continue down this slippery slope that we are already a fair way down.

What upsets me the most is that I don't feel any pride in our club, staff or players at the moment. Poor decisions from the top down, a manager who continues to select useless and half-arsed players and won't learn from his mistakes or take a gamble, and players who don't give 100%, work together and who have noticeably poor body language (shrugging at others, waving arms in the air when errors are made, moaning etc.).

I coach my primary school football team and the attitude of our boys and girls is miles better than some of these Saints players at the moment. A handful of our players/staff aside, the rest should be ashamed of themselves. Embarrassing, Saints.

Time for us to get shot of Pellegrino. He is tactically inept and despite having now played 11 games in the PL, he still seems clueless as to what our best team is. Those 11 games must have been the easiest run of games we have had in the PL as an opening sequence and we ought to have been several points ahead of our current tally. Now we have a run of difficult fixtures ahead of us, without the confidence boost that a run of wins would have given us, and unless we hold our own, a series of reverses now could be very damaging psychologically.

What the hell was he playing at when he took off one striker and replaced him with another at a time when we were dominating the match but lacking the players to put the ball in the net? What was he thinking leaving the addition of the extra striker to so late in the game? Why does he accommodate three flair players like Redmond, Tadic and Boufal when it becomes clear that they still do not produce the killer through ball to the lone striker, or the run into the box with the ball at their feet with any regularity. Poor old Gabbidini; I feel so sorry for him producing the movement and getting into good positions only to be ignored.

We have the players available to play three at the back, Virgil, Yoshida and Hoedt being a very capable trio of CBs. We have two of the best full backs in Bertrand and Cedric. How long will it be before he realizes that for all of our possession, our pretty passing and movement, we lack bite up front? Our build up play is too slow and by the time we get the ball into the final third, the defence is in place to repel any attack.

In this match, Pellegrino was out-thought by Dyche tactically. Having soaked up all of our pressure, he made the tactical substitution that won them the match.

Unless Pellegrino turns things around by Christmas, he ought to be sacked. With the run of fixtures we now have coming up, the writing is already on the wall.

Called the result before the game its so ****ing predictable.

The PL is one outstanding team, four good teams and Liverpool followed by a bunch of ****e anti-footballing dross like Burnley and we aren't even that good.

The team needs a massive overhaul it's full of average players with little or no commitment it was obvious last season and nothing has changed this season.

Might as well play the youth maybe they might look like they give a ****.

I don't know what Watson can do about Forster's painfully slow feet. That said, he should have identified it years ago and encouraged us to get someone else.

In the NFL they are very successful at improving the "painfully slow feet" of linemen who are as tall as Forster but 100 pounds heavier. There are purpose designed drills for it.

It would be a lot cheaper to get rid of Watson than Forster, and task the incoming guy with doing what Watson should have done long ago - getting Forster's expensive feet moving.

Unfortunately, my suspicion is that we might need a brain surgeon as well.

We should keep a eye out on Peter Bosz at Dortmund. If they decide to remove him, get him ASAP. Plays attacking and attractive, and will demand the best of the players.

I was in the Puel out camp but regret that now. Claude wasn’t the most inspiring coach, but did get results.

Why would they look to remove him at Dortmund ?

(Currently third in their table having just looked on BBC site).

I'm shocked MP liked the way we played. Burnley let us do what we did, it was part of their game plan. Why do we think having 65% possession time when its all in the defensive and midfield is good? All it does is make it easy on the opponent. We need to be attacking, even if it means go to an attack which just sends cross after cross into the box. At least the defense will need to be on their toes. Right now it takes us 15 passes to get into the position to maybe shoot.

Wasn't able to make the 250 mile round trip today (probably just as well!) - interested in how bad the reaction was at the end and the reaction to Gabbi being subbed. Anyone who was there care to comment?

The Gabbiadini substitution was met with disbelief all around me. There were numerous loud boos at the final whistle.

Well that’s the comparatively easy fixtures over with. Feel for FF a bit and the booing isn’t helping. I blame the manager who is shirking the responsibility of dropping him. Dyche outsmarted MoPo today but that is starting to look relatively easy.

Why do you feel for ff? He's dropped 4 goals in 3 games and conceded 7 points as a result. If any other play did that thee be lynched...

Time for us to get shot of Pellegrino. He is tactically inept and despite having now played 11 games in the PL, he still seems clueless as to what our best team is. Those 11 games must have been the easiest run of games we have had in the PL as an opening sequence and we ought to have been several points ahead of our current tally. Now we have a run of difficult fixtures ahead of us, without the confidence boost that a run of wins would have given us, and unless we hold our own, a series of reverses now could be very damaging psychologically.

What the hell was he playing at when he took off one striker and replaced him with another at a time when we were dominating the match but lacking the players to put the ball in the net? What was he thinking leaving the addition of the extra striker to so late in the game? Why does he accommodate three flair players like Redmond, Tadic and Boufal when it becomes clear that they still do not produce the killer through ball to the lone striker, or the run into the box with the ball at their feet with any regularity. Poor old Gabbidini; I feel so sorry for him producing the movement and getting into good positions only to be ignored.

We have the players available to play three at the back, Virgil, Yoshida and Hoedt being a very capable trio of CBs. We have two of the best full backs in Bertrand and Cedric. How long will it be before he realizes that for all of our possession, our pretty passing and movement, we lack bite up front? Our build up play is too slow and by the time we get the ball into the final third, the defence is in place to repel any attack.

In this match, Pellegrino was out-thought by Dyche tactically. Having soaked up all of our pressure, he made the tactical substitution that won them the match.

Unless Pellegrino turns things around by Christmas, he ought to be sacked. With the run of fixtures we now have coming up, the writing is already on the wall.

I think people give Dyche to much credit he is just another anti footballing "everyone behind the ball hope you get a lucky goal" type of manager rather than some tactical genius like a ginger Pullis.

Burnley where utter turd but so are most of the teams in the PL. It seems now that most teams outside the top 6 are just hard working and boring.

If this guy says there is every chance we'll be relegated. All the excuses about the quality of the players when in reality what we are suffering from is a negative and one dimensional manager who is utterly incapable of breaking out of his mental straightjacket. Time after time after time he's being shown that 1 up front is not working but refuses to try other combinations.

His negativity has seeped into the team and heads are down. If we had a positive manager IMO you'd see performances change almost immediately and players that are being written off would gain confidence and start looking decent again.

Someone on this thread had a pop at Austin looking disinterested, well it's hardly surprising when he sees such poor attacking performances week after week yet cannot get a run. He's probably as despondent as the rest of us.

I'd get rid of MP right now, we are playing boring football and sinking every week. We need as much time as possible to undo the damage.

In the NFL they are very successful at improving the "painfully slow feet" of linemen who are as tall as Forster but 100 pounds heavier. There are purpose designed drills for it.

It would be a lot cheaper to get rid of Watson than Forster, and task the incoming guy with doing what Watson should have done long ago - getting Forster's expensive feet moving.

Unfortunately, my suspicion is that we might need a brain surgeon as well.

Even a brain surgeon might well be better than Forster in goal.