Saints 0 Burnley 1 - Post Match Meltdown

St Chalet

I must of dreamt Yoshida's shot, the couple of decent saves from their keeper & a great block from a Bertrand effort. Forester had one save to make & didn't make it. I've seen some woeful performances, but that wasn't one of them. We were slightly better than we have been lately, but obviously that's no good if you can't put the ball in the ****ing net . Redmond played ok, but people just want to make stupid judgements that confirm their prejudice. We didn't deserve to lose, but didn't do enough to win.

Totally agree with the assessment of our support. ****ing fair weather supporters, probably the worst in the league. Anyone who left before the end should be ****ing ashamed of themselves. ****ing ******s

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I actually agree with this except for the last sentence which is utter pony. Leaving a football match before the end - the ****ing SHAME of it!!!

I must admit that I am a little surprised that the Chinese gentleman who now owns Saints has not stepped in and

sacked, then replaced several of the staff already. Surely by now he can realise that he is "losing face" with the fans

here and also in China ( I am sure there are some :D ) and that is a massive insult to any Asian businessmen.

Also as money is the key to any businessmans heart he is risking loosing a lot of money if/when Saints get relegated.

I very much doubt that he has only bought Saints to use as a Tax loss but the longer he allows this whole situation to

proceed I will start to wonder if he is as good a businessman as he thought that he was.

Of course none of my personal money is involved, just his own to do as he wants. :lol:

I actually agree with this except for the last sentence which is utter pony. Leaving a football match before the end - the ****ing SHAME of it!!!

Leaving on 81 minutes just because the opposition score is ****ing shameful. Fair weather part time supporters. Southampton till I die? My arse, Southampton till they're losing more like

I must admit that I am a little surprised that the Chinese gentleman who now owns Saints has not stepped in and

sacked, then replaced several of the staff already. Surely by now he can realise that he is "losing face" with the fans

here and also in China ( I am sure there are some :D ) and that is a massive insult to any Asian businessmen.

Also as money is the key to any businessmans heart he is risking loosing a lot of money if/when Saints get relegated.

I very much doubt that he has only bought Saints to use as a Tax loss but the longer he allows this whole situation to

proceed I will start to wonder if he is as good a businessman as he thought that he was.

Of course none of my personal money is involved, just his own to do as he wants. :lol:

The Chinese gentleman probably knows nobody involved in football outside of the Southampton setup and would struggle to make decisions unless he employed an independent director to start sorting out the mess.

Leaving on 81 minutes just because the opposition score is ****ing shameful. Fair weather part time supporters. Southampton till I die? My arse, Southampton till they're losing more like

Our support has been embarrassingly bad for a few years now, let's be honest.

Well I didn't watch the game yesterday so I've not got involved with this thread so far. But I've just watched the rerun of MOTD, and what I saw from that was a team who attacked with more intent than I have seen in recent games and created some decent openings but, as always, lacking the final quality to finish them off.

Their second choice keeper made some decent saves, of the kind that you just know Forster can't make, but we still made it too easy for him. None of our attacking players, with the possible exception of Boufal, has the ability to hit an unstoppable shot.

And then there is Forster. He is such a liability right now, it's painful to watch. What the hell was going on with his feet for their goal. He was so slow to react, it was as if he suddenly realised as the ball was halfway through its flight that it was his job to try and stop it, and got nowhere near it. I don't really know much about Mccarthy but surely he couldn't possibly be worse. Even Gazza would have saved at least a few of the goals Forster has conceded this season.

Worrying times. We do look too good to go down but I know how dangerous that thinking can be. If we continue to be so profligate up front, and persist with a keeper who will let in any half decent shot on target, then it does not matter how well we play, we will be in serious trouble.

Ironically, that was arguably our best home performance of the season at least up until around the hour mark when we just seemed to either run out of ideas or give up. I'm Redmond's biggest critic but he was ok yesterday and at least showed a bit more willingness to run at defenders.

Ultimately though it's the same old issues that did for us, the manager's negativity and complete lack of balls to try two up front in search of the win combined with a statue in goal who the oppo just need one chance to score past. I feel so sorry for Gabbiadini right now as he gets zero service and then is taken off as if it's his fault we haven't created anything. I would like to see him and Austin together as a two feeding off each other as given the chance they are both natural goalscorers, but Gabbi is usually so isolated he looks seriously ****ed off and who can blame him?

I actually thought apart from the usual early leavers the support was pretty decent yesterday, particularly earlier in the second half, but the team didn't respond at all. That for me is one of the biggest problems, I have never felt so disconnected from a Saints team as I do now. Apart from 2 or 3 players I am developing a real dislike for a majority of our squad and couldn't care less if they buggered off in January. I'm disappointed McQueen hasn't been given a go too.

Hate sacking managers especially this early in the season, but I'm now in the MP out camp as there are just no signs of improvement or hope and we are only heading in one direction with him in charge. Change is needed.

Our support has been embarrassingly bad for a few years now, let's be honest.

Some people pay a couple of grand a season to watch Saints, if you include all the train (or sometimes plane) tickets and hotels. If it was a one off performance by an otherwise decent team then I too would be questioning our supporters but it's not.

We've been just dreadful to watch since last summer. 10 blanks in our last 13 home games and half of the 6 goals we did score were penalties. Our support isn't the embarrassment here.

To be honest we didn't look that bad on Motd unless they were being kind to us.

It looked a definte improvement from the Brighton game but still not enough to convince me we have the right man in charge. What is apparent to me is that the opposing managers have the advantage by using their brain through the course of a game ie substitutions etc.

Watching MotD keepers like Begovic Elliot etc were making numerous saves all match , where as Forster had one crucial save to make and got nowhere near the ball , is something wrong with his eyesight ?? or does he take a sleeping pill before each game ??

Yeah I picked up on this too. It seems that Every other team in the PL has at least one keeper in their squad who is mobile enough and has the required reactions to occasionally make decent saves. We don't, apparently.

So often watching MOTD these days I find myself thinking "Forster would have let that in". It's beyond a joke now.

Some people pay a couple of grand a season to watch Saints, if you include all the train (or sometimes plane) tickets and hotels. If it was a one off performance by an otherwise decent team then I too would be questioning our supporters but it's not.

We've been just dreadful to watch since last summer. 10 blanks in our last 13 home games and half of the 6 goals we did score were penalties. Our support isn't the embarrassment here.

No, I'm not suggesting it is the main problem. But let's face it, the atmosphere from our fans at SMS and at most away games is insipid at best, and deathly quiet at worst.

I haven't been to SMS that many times over recent years due to living so far away and having family commitments on weekends, but I watch most games on streams and have been to quite a few aways, and frankly the atmosphere we create is rubbish. I went to Milan last year and despite our respectable numbers, I thought the noise and the atmosphere was utter crap for most of the match. Mostly just silence, interspersed with the occasional rendition on OWTS. The cup final at Wembley was much the same, with the exception of the "Ooooh Gabbiadini" that went on for some time after we equalised. This was a cup final FFS.

I'm sorry if this upsets anybody, and believe me I wish it weren't so. But taking off my red-and-white tinted spectacles and being objective about it, our vocal support is among the worst in the PL.

Both us, and our daughter sat seperately up in the rafters of Wembley at the EFL final, saw people leave their seat when Man U scored their second and never return for the rest of the match!?!

............ analysise that. :scared:

Those who were not at the game be careful to base your views of the game on MOTD. The edited highlights did not show one or more chances we had in the first half but were brilliantly blocked by Burnely defenders. They did not show Tadic and Redmond briefly swapping sides and then going straight back to playing on the side that their weaker foot determines they always cut inside and straight into the strength and depth of Burnley defending - it was too easy of them. Why we replaced a forward with a forward rather than a forward on for a midfielder I don't know.

I would agree, having been at the match,that the team played much better BUT the formation at home is too defensive and not working together. We need two forwards on the pitch if we have any hope of scoring. We need to get to the byline and get behind their full backs. We only had two shots on target by half time... it is not enough and we are the home club.

The mood in the Kingsland was pretty negative and that is a shame but they are the minority. The majority want to stay and watch and cheer their team to a glorious win or at least a valiant defeat. I would rather have lost 4-3 yesterday if I know my team had really really tried their best and were set up to win....just lost to the better team. But we were not the worse team at all.... they got one chance and took it and that is really annoying.... to be polite.

So you don't believe in freedom of speech and expression? Be thankful that they paid their money and went to the match in the first place unlike many serial moaners on here. I assume you did by your self righteous attitude?

Watching MotD keepers like Begovic Elliot etc were making numerous saves all match , where as Forster had one crucial save to make and got nowhere near the ball , is something wrong with his eyesight ?? or does he take a sleeping pill before each game ??

I was at the game and when the goal went in I couldn't quite work out what had happened but when I saw it again on MOTD I couldn't really see what more Forster could have done. His initial position was good, he dived at full stretch and the ball went well past the end of his fingers and just inside the post. He wasn't late to the ball, it was just well-placed. What do you think should have happened?

He was at fault at Brighton but yesterday was not a blatant error. I haven't found any criticism of him in the media. There is plenty to complain about, how the cross was allowed unopposed, how Yoshida didn't prevent a clean header but more importantly why weren't we already several goals ahead? It's a sorry state of affairs when the keeper is criticised for not saving a goalless draw at home.

No, I'm not suggesting it is the main problem. But let's face it, the atmosphere from our fans at SMS and at most away games is insipid at best, and deathly quiet at worst.

I haven't been to SMS that many times over recent years due to living so far away and having family commitments on weekends, but I watch most games on streams and have been to quite a few aways, and frankly the atmosphere we create is rubbish. I went to Milan last year and despite our respectable numbers, I thought the noise and the atmosphere was utter crap for most of the match. Mostly just silence, interspersed with the occasional rendition on OWTS. The cup final at Wembley was much the same, with the exception of the "Ooooh Gabbiadini" that went on for some time after we equalised. This was a cup final FFS.

I'm sorry if this upsets anybody, and believe me I wish it weren't so. But taking off my red-and-white tinted spectacles and being objective about it, our vocal support is among the worst in the PL.

That's not being objective. Our support isn't amongst the worst, it's just average. Places like the Emirates, Etihad, HMRC, OT and Goodison are just as bland and soulless. The new WHL will probably be no different and even places that think they're good, like Anfield, aren't really.

I was at the game and when the goal went in I couldn't quite work out what had happened but when I saw it again on MOTD I couldn't really see what more Forster could have done. His initial position was good, he dived at full stretch and the ball went well past the end of his fingers and just inside the post. He wasn't late to the ball, it was just well-placed. What do you think should have happened?

He was at fault at Brighton but yesterday was not a blatant error. I haven't found any criticism of him in the media. There is plenty to complain about, how the cross was allowed unopposed, how Yoshida didn't prevent a clean header but more importantly why weren't we already several goals ahead? It's a sorry state of affairs when the keeper is criticised for not saving a goalless draw at home.

There seemed to be a delay between FF seeing it and reacting, there appeared to be adequate time for him to take another step towards the post and then dive, which probably would have meant he saved it. His footwork isn't good enough.

this made me laugh haha.

Forster's feet weren't set and that is absolutely critical for keepers - my daughter is one at a pretty high level. ALL her coaches have consistently taught her that the set position is critical to making saves. If you look at Forster, his feet are firmly planted to the ground and he is flat footed....it takes him 2 or 3 steps to get in position where he can extend his dive. BY which time it was too late. If his set position was better (lack of anticipation/preparation) then he would have had a much better chance of saving it.

Begs the question - what kind of coaching are our keepers getting when our #1 consistently makes the same mistake (not being set correctly)?

He gives the impression of playing in goal with heavily bandaged hands...

There seemed to be a delay between FF seeing it and reacting, there appeared to be adequate time for him to take another step towards the post and then dive, which probably would have meant he saved it. His footwork isn't good enough.

... whilst also playing in wellington boots

Just love the words from VVD on the slow motion replay in the post match analysis of Vokes header, which actually was harder to save than it looked. But exactly the words I said at the time.

Yes saw that ... looked like FFS to me...

Those who were not at the game be careful to base your views of the game on MOTD. The edited highlights did not show one or more chances we had in the first half but were brilliantly blocked by Burnely defenders. They did not show Tadic and Redmond briefly swapping sides and then going straight back to playing on the side that their weaker foot determines they always cut inside and straight into the strength and depth of Burnley defending - it was too easy of them. Why we replaced a forward with a forward rather than a forward on for a midfielder I don't know.

I would agree, having been at the match,that the team played much better BUT the formation at home is too defensive and not working together. We need two forwards on the pitch if we have any hope of scoring. We need to get to the byline and get behind their full backs. We only had two shots on target by half time... it is not enough and we are the home club.

The mood in the Kingsland was pretty negative and that is a shame but they are the minority. The majority want to stay and watch and cheer their team to a glorious win or at least a valiant defeat. I would rather have lost 4-3 yesterday if I know my team had really really tried their best and were set up to win....just lost to the better team. But we were not the worse team at all.... they got one chance and took it and that is really annoying.... to be polite.

Although I agree with most of this, I’m not clear on your initial point. I thought you were going to say MOTD flattered us, and then you say that we were better than usual and that some of our efforts weren’t shown.

I thought we were ok first half, a 6/10 performance. Room for improvement but also some encouraging signs. But we’ve had too many games like that this season, and we nearly always seem to get worse in the second half. Anyone who thinks we were the better team yesterday doesn’t understand football. The game went exactly to Burnley’s plan, as it did when Watford visited. In the same way that we did last year in several away performances.

Sure, we had a few half chances, but as the home side that’s always likely to happen. Did we have a single “good” chance?

Edited by mrfahaji

Ironically, that was arguably our best home performance of the season at least up until around the hour mark when we just seemed to either run out of ideas or give up. I'm Redmond's biggest critic but he was ok yesterday and at least showed a bit more willingness to run at defenders.

Ultimately though it's the same old issues that did for us, the manager's negativity and complete lack of balls to try two up front in search of the win combined with a statue in goal who the oppo just need one chance to score past. I feel so sorry for Gabbiadini right now as he gets zero service and then is taken off as if it's his fault we haven't created anything. I would like to see him and Austin together as a two feeding off each other as given the chance they are both natural goalscorers, but Gabbi is usually so isolated he looks seriously ****ed off and who can blame him?

I actually thought apart from the usual early leavers the support was pretty decent yesterday, particularly earlier in the second half, but the team didn't respond at all. That for me is one of the biggest problems, I have never felt so disconnected from a Saints team as I do now. Apart from 2 or 3 players I am developing a real dislike for a majority of our squad and couldn't care less if they buggered off in January. I'm disappointed McQueen hasn't been given a go too.

Hate sacking managers especially this early in the season, but I'm now in the MP out camp as there are just no signs of improvement or hope and we are only heading in one direction with him in charge. Change is needed.

I think this is a great summary.

We have tried to be too clever by half for the last 3-4 years and started to believe our own hype and nauseating propaganda.

We are reaping the bitter harvest.

Been saying similar to this for a while now, but you can always guarantee someone will slag me off for saying it, usually someone who is happy with second best in their lives.

Well I didn't watch the game yesterday so I've not got involved with this thread so far. But I've just watched the rerun of MOTD, and what I saw from that was a team who attacked with more intent than I have seen in recent games and created some decent openings but, as always, lacking the final quality to finish them off.

Their second choice keeper made some decent saves, of the kind that you just know Forster can't make, but we still made it too easy for him. None of our attacking players, with the possible exception of Boufal, has the ability to hit an unstoppable shot.

And then there is Forster. He is such a liability right now, it's painful to watch. What the hell was going on with his feet for their goal. He was so slow to react, it was as if he suddenly realised as the ball was halfway through its flight that it was his job to try and stop it, and got nowhere near it. I don't really know much about Mccarthy but surely he couldn't possibly be worse. Even Gazza would have saved at least a few of the goals Forster has conceded this season.

Worrying times. We do look too good to go down but I know how dangerous that thinking can be. If we continue to be so profligate up front, and persist with a keeper who will let in any half decent shot on target, then it does not matter how well we play, we will be in serious trouble.

"Even Gazza" was man of the match and saved Spurs from an embarrassing defeat against Palace. On today's performance a big upgrade on Forster.

Forster's feet weren't set and that is absolutely critical for keepers - my daughter is one at a pretty high level. ALL her coaches have consistently taught her that the set position is critical to making saves. If you look at Forster, his feet are firmly planted to the ground and he is flat footed....it takes him 2 or 3 steps to get in position where he can extend his dive. BY which time it was too late. If his set position was better (lack of anticipation/preparation) then he would have had a much better chance of saving it.

Begs the question - what kind of coaching are our keepers getting when our #1 consistently makes the same mistake (not being set correctly)?

Yeah, there's something wrong with his feet and he hasn't always been like that. Immediately after the goal yesterday he seemed to be hobbling a bit from one foot to the other. But what to do?

Been saying similar to this for a while now, but you can always guarantee someone will slag me off for saying it, usually someone who is happy with second best in their lives.

I have been warning of this scenario for a number of years but have been consistently castigated by people who are now saying that they could see this coming. Re-writing history is nothing new.

Am I the only one who sees that all three sides that came up this season are above us in the table and we haven't beaten any.Had we done so we'd have 22 points and be in the top four.

PS. Garza played well for Spuds today.

I think you are probably the only one who thinks we would have 22 points. Try 19 as we drew with all 3 teams.

I don't think anyone is complaining about the new owner at all.

I have mentioned this before re FF.He is always to close to his goalline. If you look he was just a foot off his line. He should be 3or4 feet minimum as that increases his angle for the balls in the corner. The goalkeepeing coach should notice that and sort it out

I've seen the limited highlights from Sky and it looks like we attacked a bit - I listened to the live radio commentary and we did create chances - it's just that no-one seems to be able to put them away. Burnley were very negative and scored with their one attempt on target. Forster isn't saving anything at the moment so it was bound to go in. Redmond was more positive and tried to link up play - but generally the build up was too slow. We've played worse and won games. I can't disagree with 90% of the posts on this thread - the one that sums it up for me is that the performance yesterday wasn't the worst and the team don't deserve all of the flak they are getting based on that one game. The problem is that it is happening over and over again and the management don't seem to be learning. The live commentary painted a pretty uninspiring game - thanks mainly to Burnley's tactics. However, our play is too slow and we are a really boring team to support at the moment. the one positive is that we are not getting thumped every week - hopefully that isn't tempting fate with the run of games we have coming up.

Hate to say it as he has been playing well this season - Yoshida was at fault for the goal. Hoedt would have headed it clear if he had been playing.

I thought after having a vent I would feel better - but I will have to go to work tomorrow with a bunch Bournemouth fans. At least ManU lost - so there will be few people I can wind up!

The motd highlights absolutely flattered us. Apart from those incidents it was ****

i disagree, for once MOTD gave a pretty good reflection if the game . lots of chances for us foiled by good goalkeeping and poor finishing, one chance for them and a goal . they didnt show Burnleys total negavity and time wasting from the 1st minute. They excuted their game plan pretty well in the end...

i disagree, for once MOTD gave a pretty good reflection if the game . lots of chances for us foiled by good goalkeeping and poor finishing, one chance for them and a goal . they didnt show Burnleys total negavity and time wasting from the 1st minute. They excuted their game plan pretty well in the end...

Burnley are pretty limited but the team is better than the sum of its parts. Man for man you probably wouldn't swap many of their side for ours but we are not anywhere near the sum of our parts. That has got to come down to the management and coaching staff (again).

For all those people saying that we were unlucky and “did everything but put the ball in the net”, can you please point out what all those good chances were?

I can’t remember any clear cut chances. All this talk of playing two up front solving our problems is nonsense.

Burnley are pretty limited but the team is better than the sum of its parts. Man for man you probably wouldn't swap many of their side for ours but we are not anywhere near the sum of our parts. That has got to come down to the management and coaching staff (again).

This. I think it’s fair to say that it’s easier to be more than the sum of your parts if your individuals are limited. You can focus of being organised and having a solid defensive game plan. If you have better players, you are expected to do more with them than just defend. However, you’re still right, and we should be looking a lot better with the players we have.

For all those people saying that we were unlucky and “did everything but put the ball in the net”, can you please point out what all those good chances were?

I can’t remember any clear cut chances. All this talk of playing two up front solving our problems is nonsense.

The fact that the Burnley goalie was man of the match maybe gives you the answer??!!

The fact that the Burnley goalie was man of the match maybe gives you the answer??!!

Not really. It shows that no-one in the game played particularly well (Burnley played well as a team but no stand out individuals) and Pope made a couple of good saves. Good saves from Redmond and Yoshida spring to mind, neither of which I would class as “good chances”, unless we’re banking on someone screaming in a 25 yard volley every week.

So anyway, what were some of those good chances?