Saints 0 Burnley 1 - Post Match Meltdown

St Chalet

All the hallmarks of a relegation season.

Poor home atmosphere

Players getting stick from fans

Goalkeeper woefully short of confidence

Can't score

Concede late goals

Teams expected to struggle haven't

Lots of ****y PR videos going about

Well, you cannot ever take our Premier League status for granted. Unfortunately complacency did begin to set in three or four years ago and this is the result. It's going to be close, joking apart, we could finish close to 17th this season, lets hope its north of!

Utterly clueless. Defend 90% of time? Against a team sitting back? At home?

Worse than Branfoot.

Await the " Southampton can't afford to live in the same street as Burnley, and our fans should get used to it.. " type quote then.

Not to mention something to the effect that " [ insert name of 5'4" unknown Spanish striker signed in January ] will score more goals than Aguero [or similar] this season... "

I think people give Dyche to much credit he is just another anti footballing "everyone behind the ball hope you get a lucky goal" type of manager rather than some tactical genius like a ginger Pullis.

Burnley where utter turd but so are most of the teams in the PL. It seems now that most teams outside the top 6 are just hard working and boring.

Agree they were garbage. The PL is getting incredibly boring.

It shows how absolutely clueless this manager is when he plays with one up front against Burnley who are not going to come here and dominate the ball. Then dyche puts two strikers on and we take off Gabbiadini and stick with one. Forster needs to be dropped for his own good but I’ve my suspicions as to why he won’t. Most likely down to reeds influence on the team and manager and he won’t sack the manager as that will be like tying a rope round his own neck. Reed has to go though and take this manager and complete coaching set up with him.

Amazing how quiet reed and Kruger become when we’re in a mess. I don’t think either have the ******** to front up either.

For the first time ever, this forum is close to a concencus. I never thought this would ever happen

Was about to say the same thing! It seems pretty unanimous that Mope needs to go. The Clappers and the Wetters agreeing? My god it must be bad!

Luckily the international break will almost guarantee the club will get shot of him this week, to give the replacement a week to settle in, so hopefully something to get optimistic about.
I think that's far from sure, and probably unlikely.

He IS a problem, wedded to a defensive mindset, far more even than Puel. But a number of players are also problems, playing for themselves and a money-grabbing move rather than the team.

Perhaps he has been unlucky. We had good chances today. But I'm sure he lost the plot late on. Doesn't have the nous to read a game and do something different.

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk

Can someone explain the substitutes please...I am baffled...Tadic was absolute sh1te yet you take off your 1 mobile striker instead of adding to it at 0-0.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

I thought he was bringing Austin on to go two up top I couldn't believe with just went like for like bizarre sub.

In the same way that it was inevitable that Brighton would score the equaliser because we sat back and invited them onto us, it looked inevitable that Burnley would score against us too. Just seconds before they scored, I had made the observation that our defence and midfield had allowed the Burnley players too much space and we had ceased closing them down and pushing them back. I can see the MOTD defensive pundit assessing it now. He will draw his big circles around their players near the box and highlight the lack of movement of our defence towards the spaces around them. We have become so predictable that it is easy now to recognise to within a few minutes when our team's lack of discipline will cost us a goal. Pellegrino doesn't seem to see it until it is too late, but even though surely the players must be admonished for their mistakes between matches in the analysis of their performances, they just seem to make them over and over again.

We were passing the Central Station on the way in when the team was announced on Solent. I thought about telling the wife to turn around and go home. It is depressing, a manager who thinks he has it right, keeps picking the same attacking dross and anticipating a different outcome, madness. Now he says we controlled the game and will keep playing that way. 63% possession and lose again obviously the way to go. Get rid of the prat and get somebody in that believes in putting the players in their natural positions and playing enough forwards instead of five midfielders and a striker.

I think we were a touch unlucky today.

If the Burnley keeper was not so brilliant it could of been a different story plus If you could swap a decent striker for Long and Austin then we might have an option off the bench.

How the hell can Long be so ****e when he had a chance at goal but panicked and got tackled.

Need Tadic out with Soares and a couple of decent strikers plus swap meat head Forster then I think we might be okay?

Not being funny but really? We start with one upfront at home, and when they go two up as they sense we were for the taking, we continue with one until the last 10 minutes, and even than take off our leading scorer. Problem is not with Gabbi - problem is giving him some service - needed Gabbi and Austin from the off.

Burnley came for a draw and wouldn't have scored in month of Sundays if we hadn't shown we would not score, and our keeper will let you score the only shot on target. What was our game plan?? Commentators got it spot on - we are slow, rudderless and without a plan for the game. Did you see MoPe's face/expressions during the game - says it all - not a glue how to change things. Wasn't a fan of Puel but would much rather have him back right now.

Problem isn't the manager or players in my view - it's the board, or maybe owners, as we are under new management but nothing from them. What is our ambitions / strategy / direction / connection with players and fans now? Be bold, energise players, staff and fans to get behind ..... what ????? Inspire people or they do just enough to get through.

I have supported Saints for almost 40 years and been though a lot, and god willing will support them for a lot longer, but this has to be most uninspiring of all (yes including Branfoot days) of that time. Would just love for us to go at teams as in yesteryears even if we lose.

Was about to say the same thing! It seems pretty unanimous that Mope needs to go. The Clappers and the Wetters agreeing? My god it must be bad!

I wanted to give him a chance, I really did, and I'm not one for sacking managers, as I said for nearly all of last season, but we have gone backwards and players like Romeu are badly out of form.

Same old same old. Swap the keepers over & we win. Redmond played a lot better, even Tadić was better than of late. Gabby just not physical enough to play in England as a lone striker. Bizarre team selection, are Wes and Yoshida taking it in turns.Steve Davis out motm imo. Both full backs poor, Bertrand uninterested and Cédric strangely off.

Need to **** VvD off and invest up front. We’re not as bad as some are making out, just need a decent target man.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I thought Romeu was ok today couldn't have done much more.

Van Dyke was a disgrace if thats an acceptable way to play then Stephens and Hoedt should be banging on the managers door with transfer request.

Booted the ball out if ground at end well if he hadnt been selling Yoshida short all afternoon as a partner maybe we might have done better

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

Unfortunately you are almost certainly correct that he will still be our manager come the Liverpool game.

Sadly this is true, dithering les won’t pull the trigger this early. Frustrating as it’s clear MP is a complete no hoper.

I listened on the radio and once again it was pretty uninspiring stuff. Poor Gabbiadini might as well not be there - he never gets any service. Can we try left footers on the left and right footers on the right and try to overlap? We were a good mid table team with ambitions to push higher but seem to have got stuck in a rut of boring negative possession football. Since Puel started playing a weakened team this time last season to conserve energy there has been no urgency, the ball gets played backwards or sideways before being lumped out of play. The fullbacks stop making their runs and the midfielders don't make runs into the box. The opposition then score with their only shot on target.

I keep telling people that we are a good side when we pass the ball forwards but it doesn't happen often enough.

Saints 0 - Fans 12,000

...just need a decent target man.

Who will feed off all those clear cut chances we are creating with our quick, intelligent, and incisive attacking play. I agree with your point insofar as Charlie Austin is not up to the job any more, but with Redmond and Tadic running into blind alleys, the woeful crossing from Soares and Bertrand if they manage an overlap, and a complete lack of attacking intent from the midfield, I cannot see "Southampton nil" improving any time soon.

Forster is costing us points every week he has to be dropped.

All it takes is an effort on target and even slightly either side of him and he's done. Seriously, a competent goalkeeper catches Murray's effort last week comfortably, a good keeper saves Vokes' one today. Redmond would have broken his goal drought today if he'd been playing against Forster. He's good at close range Smeichel-esque throw your massive frame at the ball saves but that's it.

Can't be arsed to read the rest of the thread, so probably just reiterating what has been said already. WTF is happening to our club?

It is now 10 out of our last 13 HOME games ... yes HOME games that we have FAILED to score, and in most of them, not looked likely to score a goal FFS.

We all knew , except for our management and coaches, it seems that Burnley would come set up for a 0-0 draw and hope to maybe sneak one late on.

Well phuck me sideways guess what happened? Even more embarrassing is that the defensive away team went for 2 up front before we did.

Taking Gabbi off and replacing him with Austin was a new low for me in tactical substitutions in a game that we were all over them % wise but not looking like scoring, yet minutes later pushing VVD up as an extra centre forward.

Just typing this is making me angry at the ineptitude of what is happening to our club.

This was Burnley FFS ... Burnley ... at home. I really dread to think what will happen to us at Liverpool, Citeh, Chelsea, Spurs and even Bomo in our next 5 away games.

I've already given up hope for our home games ... 0-0 or 1-1 would be a bonus but expecting 0-1 against anybody.

I'm normally in The Happy Clapper Camp ..... but rapidly losing hope.

For the majority of my Saints supporting life we've had teams far worse than this, but there is something about this year that doesn't sit right more than any other which is causing me to be more apathetic than I can ever remember. I can't remember a Saints team underperforming as much as this ever, and such a lack of desire by anyone in the club to do anything about it. Lemina aside, we don't appear to have done anything this summer - personnel or coaching wise to address the quite alarming gaps we have as a squad.

Right now I think we're paying the price and it will be a painful season. Relegation fight - not a chance. A rather sobering lower half finish which leaves us with a of questions to answer in the summer and our better players leaving - they can quite rightly point to the chance the club had this summer to push on and what has (or has not) happened.

We've no divine right to be good of course, and it is absolutely normal to have bad seasons as well as good ones. And par for us as a club is probably lower half of the top division of course. However its ust disappointing the manner in which we're heading back there. If thousands of fans can see something is wrong how can the people who run the club not?

In the NFL they are very successful at improving the "painfully slow feet" of linemen who are as tall as Forster but 100 pounds heavier. There are purpose designed drills for it.

It would be a lot cheaper to get rid of Watson than Forster, and task the incoming guy with doing what Watson should have done long ago - getting Forster's expensive feet moving.

Unfortunately, my suspicion is that we might need a brain surgeon as well.

It seems clear to me that poor Fraser is on the spectrum.

I think people give Dyche to much credit he is just another anti footballing "everyone behind the ball hope you get a lucky goal" type of manager rather than some tactical genius like a ginger Pullis.

Burnley where utter turd but so are most of the teams in the PL. It seems now that most teams outside the top 6 are just hard working and boring.

I agree with this. I've been a fan of Dyche but today his team just played behind the ball, parked the proverbial bus and left Woods stranded up front. They scored with pretty much their only effort on goal.

In my opinion it was a complete smash and grab job from an extremely limited, but extremely well organised Burnley side. I can see posts on this thread describing such opinions as `deluded', but thats how I feel and you will do well to change my mind.

We dominated the game pretty much from start to finish. There was a period in the second half when Burnley simply couldn't get out of their own half. Literally they were encamped in their third, hoofing it clear with no one 40 yards from the ball. They had nothing in attack at all...or so it seemed.

I'd argue that our passing back to front was crisp and mostly precise, though not nearly enough from the usually reliable Romeu. We looked pretty solid at the back (no one needs me to tell you that) and we limited them to pretty much two chances, the headed goal and when they got round the back and Wood crossed poorly. Thats it. Two breaks. Jesus. Imagine travelling 230 miles to see your side have two breaks. If I'd done the reverse trip to see that performance I'd be fuming...right up to the point the team scored. Boy does a goal and a win make you forget a performance quickly...

Returning to us. The central midfield battle was won comprehensively. We kept the ball well and passed our way out from the back playing ourselves out of trouble. Whether you like it or not there were redeeming attributes to our game.

But I doubt anyone wants to read about those. When you lose and have lost similar games to this week after week you want have a good old gripe about it on here and blame Reed or MP or Redmond. So let me offer my 5 pennies worth. Where we came unstuck, and where we continue to come unstuck is that we don't have the quality of payer able to unlock a packed defence. A team sitting back with 4,5,6,7 or even 8 men back behind the ball, because we are dominating is one we are simply unable to break down.

Tadic, Redmond, Boufal, Davis, Long, Austin, JWP and Gabbiadini, individually and collectively are not good enough. On their day they all can shine, but week in week out they simply are not quite good enough. There are obvious things like Longs finishing, Tadic's reluctance to shoot and Redmond cutting inside all day long. But there are also subtle things. Take for example the fantastic overlap by Bertrand in the second half, Redmond played him in and Bertrand's shot was blocked. It wasn't the most memorable chance, but it could have been the best one if only the weight of pass was right. but it wasn't. Redmond overhit it a little, Bertrand had to adjust, which took him wider, enabling Lawson to get back and block. And that's the key. The perfectly weighted pass comes from players with outstanding talent and we don't have them. We have good players, but not top notch players.

And that is the issue. With limited space and decent defenders you need high quality to break it down. The same applied last season. We corrected the issue of a lightweight central midfield, but we have done jack **** to address the quality issue up front and out wide. Who's fault is that? Is it the managers? The board? Any manager will only be able to do so much with these.

Edited by Chez

We have fired a good coach, who took us to Wembley, faced 50 games and European travel, had three dead end May home fixtures but was either too boring or, according to some, lost trust of key players. Well the latter is laughable as I assume they are now excelling?

In 30 years and 20 odd managers I have only ever called for three to be fired: Branfoot, Gray and Wigley. I didn’t even want Portfleet sacked as he was just given a bunch of kids. However this guy is taking us backwards. We have wasted many winnable home games (shades of our last relegation), the entertainment for BOTH home and away games is lower than last season with fewer distractions following the Wolves Reserves fiasco and, most worryingly, there is only one team I am genuinely confident of finishing above, and that is Swansea.

So make that another happy clapper that wants him out now, while we have international break

He's being lined up by ITV to go to the jungle according to The Mirror

Thank goodness! I’m all for a managerial change at this point but NOT for an anti football, be organized and take a point or a 1-0 if we’re lucky, manager like Allardyce. Him, Pulis, Dyche etc will all eventually be sacked after they’ve kept you up with 0-0 and 1-0 results before you turn to a ****, 30% possession side who can’t get a result for toffee.

Make a change but make it an exciting one, not a premier league stalwart type

wish I had read your post before making mine. Could not agree more. Winning games is all that matters to most though...