Saints 0 Burnley 1 - Post Match Meltdown

St Chalet

For all those people saying that we were unlucky and “did everything but put the ball in the net”, can you please point out what all those good chances were?

I can’t remember any clear cut chances. All this talk of playing two up front solving our problems is nonsense.

We didn't have the best of matches offensively (which is something you see all the time for Burnley's opponents) but on the other hand they created next to nothing. If you look att xG for the match we had 0.9 xG and Burnley had 0.1. This wasn't our worst performance by far.

DNzd7auXcAAXtdg.jpg:large

Source: @Caley_graphics

We didn't have the best of matches offensively (which is something you see all the time for Burnley's opponents) but on the other hand they created next to nothing. If you look att xG for the match we had 0.9 xG and Burnley had 0.1. This wasn't our worst performance by far.

DNzd7auXcAAXtdg.jpg:large

Source: @Caley_graphics

Thanks. I can't figure out every chance here, I certainly don't recall us having that many shots from the left corner of the box, but I know one of the central ones was Bertrand's header, think we had another header from in there too.

I agree it wasn't our worst performance by far - that must be Watford, which I hope we never get near ever again. Sure, we were a little unlucky that Burnley scored from their one opportunity, but such is life with a goalkeeper who takes twice as long to react as everyone else. The problem is we didn't create many chances that you would expect to score from. Yes, if we have enough pot shots from 20 yards you'd expect one or two to go in eventually, but not sure that's what we should be gunning for. As the saying goes, you make your own luck, and we don't play in a way that helps that.

Thank god you showed up. I was at the game and this is how I saw it as well. I can understand the over reaction because of the end result, but it really wasn't a game we shouldn't have got anything from.

Sent from my HTC One M8s using Tapatalk

Belated ditto.

Understand the frustration - I watched it too - but seriously, the difference was they have a goalkeeper who stops shots on target and we don't.

Forster HAS to be dropped. It's laughable we can't get a better 'keeper than him. I watch Vancouver Whitecaps and either of their two goalies are a country mile better than Forster (Saints should sign Stefan Marinovic the Whitecaps and NZ international goalkeeper - you saw it here first).

We missed Lamina big time.

We need to play a proper two up front with someone close to Gabbiadini in the No.10 role - Gabbi is not a hold it up striker or a 'knock it on' guy either...he makes great runs and has quick feet in the box when he has the ball at his feet. We do not have a lone striker in the squad so why play that way?

I am unconvinced that MP2 has the nous / balls / steel to drop Forster, play a shape that plays to each player's strength and get the best out of under-performers (VVD, Bertrand, Cedric, Tadic, JWP, now even Romeu). That said, Forster alone has cost us 6 or 7 points IMO and if we had that we'd be in sixth spot with everyone cheering for European football instead of doom and gloom relegation.

So it's too early to pull the plug on him. There are still winnable games before the Christmas top 5 terror...let's see if he can step up

That said, Liverpool away next game, is not what we'd be wishing for...

As an isolated match, this game wasn't that bad. The trouble is, we play that way in virtually every game, that's why it's so frustrating. Seeing that Vokes header go in had a sense of inevitability about it, and after about an hour it seemed like we just weren't going to score because our only tactic wasn't working particularly well.

Perhaps we can begin to drop any feelings of general animosity towards the club or entitlement in general and realise that we are all in a scrap to stay in the division and unless we all (club and fans) put our hearts into then we are facing a long season.

We're bog standard mid-table at the moment, somewhere between 8th and 15th depending on how bad our finishing is. You have to be truly abysmal over at least a 6 month period to get relegated from the Premier League and we're not even close to being that bad.

We're bog standard mid-table at the moment, somewhere between 8th and 15th depending on how bad our finishing is. You have to be truly abysmal over at least a 6 month period to get relegated from the Premier League and we're not even close to being that bad.

You saw who we played in the first 11 games and who we have in our next 10 fixtures I take it?