Would you take Koeman back?

Bad Wolf

Koeman with the old coaching team in a heartbeat right now, as much as it pains me to say it. Would most probably galvanise the players, particular our Dutch international centre backs, and with some funds available in seven weeks time we'd fare much better than we are likely to under the current set up.*

* Won't happen as it would involve Reed admitting he was wrong three times.

Koeman with the old coaching team in a heartbeat right now, as much as it pains me to say it. Would most probably galvanise the players, particular our Dutch international centre backs, and with some funds available in seven weeks time we'd fare much better than we are likely to under the current set up.*

* Won't happen as it would involve Reed admitting he was wrong three times.

Surely it won't happen because it would be Koeman, rather than Reed, that would look foolish limping back to saints with his tail between his legs. Koeman left us you can argue about reasons but ultimately it was his decision to leave saints not saints that fired him.

Surely it won't happen because it would be Koeman, rather than Reed, that would look foolish limping back to saints with his tail between his legs. Koeman left us you can argue about reasons but ultimately it was his decision to leave saints not saints that fired him.

Probably that too.

Very unlikely but who knows? He's still the manager who has led us to the highest position I've known since I saw my first Saints game in 1992, it's certainly been a lot worse over the past decade!

Probably more chance of Adkins coming back to be fair. I wonder how things would have panned out if he'd been backed by Cortese that first year back in the Prem. OK, we weren't doing great that year, but we were on the up when he got the boot. He never truly got the chance to prove himself as a Premier League manager for Saints, which I find a bit of a shame seeing as we've had quite a turnover of managers since.

Would you take Puel back?

PUEL PUTS THE FUN BACK INTO FOOTBALL

Leicester defender Danny Simpson says new boss Claude Puel has put fun into his Foxes role.

To be blunt, our problems lie at board level. Not at manager level. Was the same for Puel as it is for MoPe. Koeman just had a bigger ego and balls to deal with it all.

Or did I miss the others dropping Tadic etc...

Leicester defender Danny Simpson says new boss Claude Puel has put fun into his Foxes role.

I was a Puel fan and wanted him to stay.

But this is a classic case of people believing any old hype in the media to prove a point. Other than something positive, what else was Danny going to say?

Had he said something like, "I'm dreading working under a boring, slow and uninventive coach", then this may be interesting, other than that it's just the same old player / manager hype.

A current Leicester player is unlikely to say publicly Puel drains the life out of you... as he did to Saints fans. Simpson wants to be in Puel's good books.

Very unlikely but who knows? He's still the manager who has led us to the highest position I've known since I saw my first Saints game in 1992, it's certainly been a lot worse over the past decade!

Probably more chance of Adkins coming back to be fair. I wonder how things would have panned out if he'd been backed by Cortese that first year back in the Prem. OK, we weren't doing great that year, but we were on the up when he got the boot. He never truly got the chance to prove himself as a Premier League manager for Saints, which I find a bit of a shame seeing as we've had quite a turnover of managers since.

He was useless elsewhere, and Sheff Utd fans I know laugh at him. I am one of the few who didn't rate him.

He should have won at least one of the leagues we got promoted from

Yes I'd have him back, did a great job for us.

Can't see it though, have we ever re-hired a previous manager?

Ernest Arnfield 1897 to 1911 and 1912 to 1919

Southampton[edit]

Prior to Swift's appointment, the Saints had been "managed" by the board under the company secretary, Ernest Arnfield, with Bill Dawson as trainer. The board had made a concerted effort to find a manager who could end the team's dreadful run of form (which had seen them drop to 17th place in the Southern League at the end of the 1910–11 season), and interviewed 140 applicants.

Following the appointment of Swift, Dawson (who had been trainer for seventeen years) resigned and Arnfield moved to financial secretary. In the first six weeks of Swift's brief reign he spent £820 recruiting eleven new players. Unfortunately, the appointment of a full-time manager failed to stop the rot and the 1911–12 season was another disappointment with the team finishing in 16th place, resulting in Swift's resignation.[1]

Ernest Arnfield 1897 to 1911 and 1912 to 1919

Southampton[edit]

Prior to Swift's appointment, the Saints had been "managed" by the board under the company secretary, Ernest Arnfield, with Bill Dawson as trainer. The board had made a concerted effort to find a manager who could end the team's dreadful run of form (which had seen them drop to 17th place in the Southern League at the end of the 1910–11 season), and interviewed 140 applicants.

Following the appointment of Swift, Dawson (who had been trainer for seventeen years) resigned and Arnfield moved to financial secretary. In the first six weeks of Swift's brief reign he spent £820 recruiting eleven new players. Unfortunately, the appointment of a full-time manager failed to stop the rot and the 1911–12 season was another disappointment with the team finishing in 16th place, resulting in Swift's resignation.[1]

Arnfield OUT!

**** Advocaat resigns as Holland boss.

I wonder if Ronald has played a blinder and gotten a fat pay off to leave a job he never really wanted, only to walk into one of his two stated "dream" appointments a few short weeks later?

Sent from my F3311 using Tapatalk

That's a bit elaborate tbf.

**** Advocaat resigns as Holland boss.

I wonder if Ronald has played a blinder and gotten a fat pay off to leave a job he never really wanted, only to walk into one of his two stated "dream" appointments a few short weeks later?

Sent from my F3311 using Tapatalk

Was telegraphed months ago tbh. If he wants the holland job he has played a blinder tbh.

Either does well at Everton or gets a whopper pay out, and guaranteed the Holland job if he wants it. Koeman knows how to play the game; that is for sure.

I'm sure the goal drought, sideways passing and lack of confidence started with him in charge. Ok no manager afterwards has managed to put it right but I don't think he's the magic fix.

Eh, we used to hoof it up field to Pelle and Long with Koeman? Plus we attacked teams with pace and overlapping full backs!

I'm not saying he is the messiah or magic fix. But lets not write paintative rubbish about our best ever prem manager and the guy who almost got us Champions League footy ;)

Mind you, he did have Toby, Mane, Pelle, Wanyama, Morgan etc. Perhaps the fault lies with our recruitment and retention policies. I am not sure Koeman would do much better than Puel or Mopey.

Eh, we used to hoof it up field to Pelle and Long with Koeman? Plus we attacked teams with pace and overlapping full backs!

I'm not saying he is the messiah or magic fix. But lets not write paintative rubbish about our best ever prem manager and the guy who almost got us Champions League footy ;)

Mind you, he did have Toby, Mane, Pelle, Wanyama, Morgan etc. Perhaps the fault lies with our recruitment and retention policies. I am not sure Koeman would do much better than Puel or Mopey.

Just had a look back at the threads following Puel's appointment. All optimistic about solving the lack of goal threat under Koeman, lacking creativity from midfield, needing new strikers and a no 10.

It's all familiar stuff. Koeman, Puel and now Pellegrino fail to solve the same problem.

Turn it on it's head , if Koeman hadn't been our manager already would we be excited if Les was replacing Pellingino with him now ?

Yes, even excluding his time with us, he is a massive name in football and has a much better CV than Pellegrino.

I think Koeman would be an upgrade on what we currently have, however I don't think bringing him back would be the right decision at this moment in time.

Whoever replaces Pellegrino has a massive job on their hands.. over the last 2 seasons our squad has significantly reduced in quality, confidence and attacking capabilities

Yes, even excluding his time with us, he is a massive name in football and has a much better CV than Pellegrino.

I think Koeman would be an upgrade on what we currently have, however I don't think bringing him back would be the right decision at this moment in time.

Whoever replaces Pellegrino has a massive job on their hands.. over the last 2 seasons our squad has significantly reduced in quality, confidence and attacking capabilities

Do you think MP would have done worse than Koeman did Everton?

Do you think MP would have done worse than Koeman did Everton?

Difficult to say, but I'd probably have to say yes.

Last season Koeman done pretty well at Everton... Guided them comfortably to 7th, had them playing some decent football and caused a few upsets against the big 6. Something we could only dream of at the moment

Had Everton signed Giroud, as they expected, or at the very least had a plan B they wouldn't be in the mess they are now, IMO. Who's to blame for that? I don't know.

Rooney was an awful piece of business, but I believe that was down to Kenwright rather than any scouting / management team.

Rooney was an awful piece of business, but I believe that was down to Kenwright rather than any scouting / management team.

Agree. Always thought that myself, local boy going home and all that, good storybook stuff - but in reality I wonder if Koeman actually wanted him. I don't think he (Koeman) had a choice and I think it made things worse for him and Everton in the long run.

Just had a look back at the threads following Puel's appointment. All optimistic about solving the lack of goal threat under Koeman, lacking creativity from midfield, needing new strikers and a no 10.

It's all familiar stuff. Koeman, Puel and now Pellegrino fail to solve the same problem.

I think all that goes to show is that football fans are foolish and will moan regardless. The footy under koeman was pretty darn good on the whole. He had a bad blip where the fans were getting nervous, but most managers will have that with saints lets be honest.

Particularly given the villa and Sunderland smashings. :mcinnes:

Let’s not forget that other teams in the upper half of the Prem are always looking to improve. We’ve not done that....in fact we’ve gone backwards in terms of forward line quality. Long Austin and Redmond are all too damn comfortable playing their Championship level (at best) brand of football.

Can someone explain why Hoddle. He has not been appointed manager since being sacked by Wolves in 2006.

How many management positions in 11 years yet not 1 given to him....do you not think there is a reason why?

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

Anyone.....Dalek come on why has no-one appointed your idol in 11 years?

Can someone explain why Hoddle. He has not been appointed manager since being sacked by Wolves in 2006.

How many management positions in 11 years yet not 1 given to him....do you not think there is a reason why?

Probably because he was nasty in his former life