Gazzaniga starts for Spurs against Palace

Golac's Iron Gonads

A keeper much maligned here. Unfairly I thought and I often said I fancied him to become a good keeper. But many said he didn't save shots, positioning was all wrong and he used the wrong hand to save with.

Well he's got his chance against Palace today and I'll be watching keenly to see how he's progressed. Relevant given our current goalkeeping incumbent.

My son aged 18 (6 ft exactly) stood in the middle of the goal as I stood on the 15 yard line and threw the ball in each corner 10 times like I was taking a throw in.

He got to everyone of them and he does not even play for a team.

I have no idea how Forster is mugging us for 50k every week.

its past a ****ing joke now.

Gazzaniga in a nutshell. Played well so far, made a couple of good saves and kicked very well. Then hesitates coming out for a ball and lets Zaha round him, who should have scored. There is always a mistake there waiting to happen, usually it was more than one. Let's not re-write his history with Saints, He wasn't good enough with us and showed little signs of improvement.

Gazzaniga in a nutshell. Played well so far, made a couple of good saves and kicked very well. Then hesitates coming out for a ball and lets Zaha round him, who should have scored. There is always a mistake there waiting to happen, usually it was more than one. Let's not re-write his history with Saints, He wasn't good enough with us and showed little signs of improvement.

But a season and a half away from our esteemed goal keeping coach and he at least makes decent saves that our incumbent would not have got near.

But a season and a half away from our esteemed goal keeping coach and he at least makes decent saves that our incumbent would not have got near.

I know its the trendy thing to hammer FF and our goalkeeping coach, but have you seen the catalogue of mistakes that Gazzaniga made whilst on loan at Rayo Vallecano last season? You can't blame Dave Watson for those.

Question : has Forster always had trouble to get down to shots?

Pre injury i can t really remember us complaining about this.

Has maybe the injury to his knee scuppered that ability?

I've said this before on here, I think that injury to FF was a bad one not only in physical terms but also psychological (sp?) terms as well, I believe that its had a massive effect on his confidence. If he isn't, then he should be working with a sports psychologist.

I know its the trendy thing to hammer FF and our goalkeeping coach, but have you seen the catalogue of mistakes that Gazzaniga made whilst on loan at Rayo Vallecano last season? You can't blame Dave Watson for those.

If Watson hadn't been in charge of his development perhaps. Davis showed no improvement under Watson, Gazza showed no improvement, Forster has regressed, and McCarthy is getting no better from what I've heard.

Boruc didn't seem to be affected, but then he seems very much his own man.

Whoops

Whoops what?

Like I said, they were at home to Palace. People said similar things about Paul Smith when he deputised for Niemi. Let's see how he plays at the Emirates in 2 weeks, then make a judgement over the rest of the season, if indeed he keeps his place.

Whoops what?

Like I said, they were at home to Palace. People said similar things about Paul Smith when he deputised for Niemi. Let's see how he plays at the Emirates in 2 weeks, then make a judgement over the rest of the season, if indeed he keeps his place.

You said he never looked like a premiership goalkeeper. ...... Well the game I just watched, he looked every bit a premiership goalkeeper and indeed picked up "Man of the Match" in a premiership game. From a goalkeeping perspective it doesn't matter whether it's Crystal Palace or Barcelona, you can only save or try and save, what is served up against you, which he did with style.

He won't keep his place, but he put in a great shift and as per other posts on here, the point surely relates to the coaching staff, if others could see something they didn't.

Of course one swallow does not make a summer, but a goalkeeper we let go on a free (I think) has just made a string of saves that I don't think our current number one, would have got to all of them.

Yes, seen most of them, thanks, hardly a catalogue. Mostly at the start of last season (though not all), so you could justifiably (though not sure I would) link them to a hangover from Watson's coaching. He also got many plaudits for the many good performances that he put in, especially as the season progressed. 12 clean sheets, 35 goals conceded in the season (approx 1 per game). His cockups were often like the one today against Spurs, rather than not making saves.

By the way, its not "trendy" to knock FF and DW. The reason many people do it is because they see for themselves how useless the big man is based on available evidence. The way FF "performs" is so similar to the way other (our and England) keepers perform who are coached by Watson, including how Gazzaniga performed in the past under his tutelage.

You said he never looked like a premiership goalkeeper. ...... Well the game I just watched, he looked every bit a premiership goalkeeper and indeed picked up "Man of the Match" in a premiership game. From a goalkeeping perspective it doesn't matter whether it's Crystal Palace or Barcelona, you can only save or try and save, what is served up against you, which he did with style.

He won't keep his place, but he put in a great shift and as per other posts on here, the point surely relates to the coaching staff, if others could see something they didn't.

Of course one swallow does not make a summer, but a goalkeeper we let go on a free (I think) has just made a string of saves that I don't think our current number one, would have got to all of them.

So he had a good game at home to the worst team in the League. My point is he was poor throughout his stay here and one game against a poor team isn't enough to change the overall opinion of him.

Saves are bread and butter (unless you're Forster). PG struggled when it came to commanding his defence and collecting crosses and Palace didn't exactly have Beckham swinging them in at Drogba for 90 minutes.

My son aged 18 (6 ft exactly) stood in the middle of the goal as I stood on the 15 yard line and threw the ball in each corner 10 times like I was taking a throw in.

He got to everyone of them and he does not even play for a team.

I have no idea how Forster is mugging us for 50k every week.

its past a ****ing joke now.

On the what line?

To think we "let" Gazza go and kept Forster on is unnerving. Goalkeeper is the first position that needs to be reviewed in January. The GK coach needs to be released and a better GK brought in.

Most thought we played a blinder, getting a fee for Gazzaniga.

One good game doesn't turn a player we all judged fairly and accurately, into a world-beater. If he stakes his claim as No.1 at Spurs and plays like this regularly, we can then get upset about letting him go. He had the odd really good game for us too, remember.

One good game doesn't turn a player we all judged fairly and accurately, into a world-beater. If he stakes his claim as No.1 at Spurs and plays like this regularly, we can then get upset about letting him go. He had the odd really good game for us too, remember.

Pretty much Forster has the odd good game don't think to many would say that makes him a good keeper though.

Whatever we think of him, and I actually liked him, Jamie Redknapp selected him as his goalkeeper of the week. I think that one of the best managers around knew him and wanted him and then played him, says it all for me.

Whatever we think of him, and I actually liked him, Jamie Redknapp selected him as his goalkeeper of the week. I think that one of the best managers around knew him and wanted him and then played him, says it all for me.

Played him because his first and second choice were both injured.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

He made some good saves, but also had the same issues as he did with us - coming for balls he shouldn't, getting caught out when playing sweeper keeper etc. He's got the ability, but I don't think he's ever been mentally strong enough.

Exactly right. He was lucky not to give away a penalty.

Pochettino feels he can get the most out of his (obvious) ability. We or Paulo may not have felt the same way, which is fair enough. Doesn't make selling the wrong decision.