Liverpool Away Match Build-Up

Minsk

Okay, I know we have got the international break now but this game is already on my mind.

I am sure many will be hoping it is the first match for a new manager; however, I will be extremely surprised if that is the case. In any event, there are many questions to be asked about the team and tactics for this one:

Do we go (even more) ultra-defensive?

Should we go to 3/5 at the back? (I know Pellegrino preferred that formation last season when Alaves played the big teams, especially away from home)

Will everyone come back from the international break fit and healthy?

Will Lemina be fit for this one? (I sincerely hope so)

Should VvD even be included in the match day squad?

And, if he is, should he be handcuffed to someone at all times (except during the actual match, obviously) to stop him sneaking away for a 'chat' with Klopp?

If so, who should he be handcuffed to? (I would go for Fraser for 2 reasons: 1. he is one of the few players bigger than VvD; 2. if VvD were to convince him (Fraser) to allow a meeting maybe it would force Liverpool into bidding for him too.

Personally, assuming all are fit and healthy, I would go with:

---------------------------------Fraser------------------------------

-----------------Maya-----------VvD-----------Hoedt---------------

Cedric----------Lemina-------------------Romeu---------Bertrand

--------------------------------Boufal-------------------------------

----------------Long-----------------------Gabbiadini--------------

Been screaming for that team for a while now.

First up I know he won’t pick it as it does not feature Tradic and Redmond.

F**k it, why not ? Only thing I'd change is to drop Forster for McCarthy.

We are likely going to get hammered.

I hate Liverpool and on reflection, Claude should have been given the freedom of the city for not losing against them in 4 matches last season.

Put like that makes me realise just how much better Puel was than the our present manager........

Ha Ha ... feeling the same!! :scared:

Is Mane involved in any Internationals where he might pick up an injury?

hoping he comes back absolutely knackered... they play SA twice in the two weeks because CAF banned the original result (where SA won but no longer counts) due to some ref being banned or something.

I’ve posted this already somewhere else on here but Pellegrino’s defence-first unadventurous style might produce a 0-0 result against one or two of the big clubs that we’re about to face.

Who knows? We’ve struggled to score against teams that parked the bus like Swansea or Burnley. It’s probably a pipe dream but against a team with attacking intentions perhaps we’ll hit them on the break.

It makes me a little sad that it has come to this.

McCarthy

Cedric-Stephens-Yoshida-Hoedt-Bertrand

Pied-Romeu-Lemina-Targett-McQueen.

That'll stop Salah and Mané. No less chance of scoring than usual either! :lol:

Sell VVD before game for £100 million. Or £50 million if they also take Forster. :)

We are likely going to get hammered.

I hate Liverpool and on reflection, Claude should have been given the freedom of the city for not losing against them in 4 matches last season.

completely agree, a lot of animosity has built up now towards Liverpool FC and to have the record we had against them last season was brilliant, no goals conceded and a semi final win absolutely magic. I can't see us making a repeat of it this time, someone mentioned Lallana and Mane may be ready to return from injuries after international break, I hope they don't. Liverpool won't even be distracted by needing to rest players for the Champions league as they're virtually already through in that.

completely agree, a lot of animosity has built up now towards Liverpool FC and to have the record we had against them last season was brilliant, no goals conceded and a semi final win absolutely magic. I can't see us making a repeat of it this time, someone mentioned Lallana and Mane may be ready to return from injuries after international break, I hope they don't. Liverpool won't even be distracted by needing to rest players for the Champions league as they're virtually already through in that.

He was back and starting for the game against W.Ham. He was part of the reason they ahem hammered them.

6+

we're about to find out how bad we really are

This. Although, if Lemina is fit we have the defensive set up to limit damage. Oddly, Mane has missed the majority of his games v Saints, or been below his best - he and Salah are the likely tormentors. Hard to see where our goals are coming from.

I'd be tempted to play 5-3-2 with Gabbi and Long as the two and play early balls in the space behind their defence. Liverpool's defence is shakey but you have to put it under pressure two quick CFs turning thier CBs around might do that better than **** crosses from out wide to players with their backs to the Liverpool goal.

Funny enough - the way we have been playing is probably the best way to play against the top 6 sides (especially city) because we will get easily turned over in all these games - also the ability to change should they get the early goal or two.

I think VVD should be given the captaincy back - he is our best player by miles and only real leader on the pitch - i saw him having a go at Redmond on Saturday so he knows the people to shout at!

VVD, Lemina, Romeu, Boufal and Gabbiadini should start all the next games whatever in my opinion and then its pretty much who you would do best against the opposition of the day.

Play like Burnley/West Brom etc play away from home, 10 men behind the ball, leave Long up front just in case we get a foot race break away ball, play for 0-0.

We might get beat 1-0, we might sneak a 1-0 win.

Our players should be good at playing for a 0-0...

The point could well be very important at the end of the season.

Play like Burnley/West Brom etc play away from home, 10 men behind the ball, leave Long up front just in case we get a foot race break away ball, play for 0-0.

We might get beat 1-0, we might sneak a 1-0 win.

Our players should be good at playing for a 0-0...

The point could well be very important at the end of the season.

Our forwards certainly are.

Okay, I know we have got the international break now but this game is already on my mind.

I am sure many will be hoping it is the first match for a new manager; however, I will be extremely surprised if that is the case. In any event, there are many questions to be asked about the team and tactics for this one:

Do we go (even more) ultra-defensive?

Should we go to 3/5 at the back? (I know Pellegrino preferred that formation last season when Alaves played the big teams, especially away from home)

Will everyone come back from the international break fit and healthy?

Will Lemina be fit for this one? (I sincerely hope so)

Should VvD even be included in the match day squad?

And, if he is, should he be handcuffed to someone at all times (except during the actual match, obviously) to stop him sneaking away for a 'chat' with Klopp?

If so, who should he be handcuffed to? (I would go for Fraser for 2 reasons: 1. he is one of the few players bigger than VvD; 2. if VvD were to convince him (Fraser) to allow a meeting maybe it would force Liverpool into bidding for him too.

I really like that team if we can get three at the back to work. It gets all our best players on the pitch.