Virgil speaks....

Give it to Ron

Not sure which bit is "declaring his love for Southampton.."

DEFENDER Virgil van Dijk insists he has put his flirtations with Liverpool behind him and is happy at Southampton.

By Alex Crook

05.11, 07 Nov 2017 UPDATED 08.11, 07 Nov 2017

The Dutchman asked for a transfer in July to try and force through a dream move to Anfield but Saints refused to let him leave.

Van Dijk, who was stripped of the captaincy, said: “Firstly, I don’t think it’s appropriate to comment on anything that happened before.

“But I am giving 100 per cent for the club. I work hard every day, I help my team-mates, I’m positive and I want to win every game.

“I am happy and that’s the most important thing so we will just see what happens.”

Van Dijk has also taken a swipe at Saints’ misfiring strikers after Saturday’s 1-0 home defeat to Burnley.

Mauricio Pellegrino’s men have failed to score in nine of their last 16 games.

Van Dijk, who is due to face Liverpool in the next game after the international break, said: “It’s very clear that we should have scored. We should have done much better. We can’t be losing at home against Burnley, with all due respect, and we are all very disappointed.

“You work hard to score and we had lots of opportunities. We have to try and keep a clean sheet as well and it’s frustrating for us defenders that from their only chance they got a goal.

“Every game is important and it’s going to be even more important now for us to get some points – and we know that we can play very well against everyone. But we just need to keep going, stay positive and work hard every week.

He's off.

Anyone who reads that and doesn't see he has been promised his move is incredibly stupid.

Hardly news. Had he and Liverpool gone about things the right way last summer he would have got his move.

This whole saga had less to do with saints not wanting to sell and more about making stand against players, agents and clubs trying to take the **** out of us.

He's off.

Anyone who reads that and doesn't see he has been promised his move is incredibly stupid.

Eh? It's a reasonable interpretation but not the only one.

Anyway, that's a seriously misleading headline and intro for what are non-event quotes.

Sorry for what? He owes us nothing, he's not the first who wanted out and he won't be the last. Believe you me if the boot was on the other foot we'd discard him at the drop of a hat.

He owes us nothing ? Its funny how a few losses changes everyones mind and side with a player who massively disrespected us fans and the club with his childish behaviour and attempts to force us to sell him !?

He's off.

You're a detective aren't you. Did you work that out all by yourself or did you use your great big looking glass to track down the clues.

I'm sorry, but I'm one of the incredibly stupid ones on here. Can you tell me exactly when he will be leaving?

Basically says nothing then. Put Hoedt in defence and stick VVD up top. I can't believe we've not tried this earlier in games. He's our biggest goal threat. He'd get 10-15 goals a season there. Would love the manager to show a bit character and do something like this.

That is obviously not going to happen, although when we were chasing a goal both at Stoke away and this week he did play up top for the last 6 - 8 minutes, and you're right he does look a threat up there (it may look that way purely because he's the extra man though) - but anything other than that is never going to happen.

Basically says nothing then. Put Hoedt in defence and stick VVD up top. I can't believe we've not tried this earlier in games. He's our biggest goal threat. He'd get 10-15 goals a season there. Would love the manager to show a bit character and do something like this.

Based on this season alone, I think Maya might argue with you on that point. :D

I'm liking this. Maya and VVD up top with Gabbiadini and Boufal playing off them. Stephens Hoedt and Romeo as a back three with Valery and McQueen flanking. Lemina and Slattery in the middle. Hesketh off the bench when Boufal gets tired from scoring. JWP next with some set pieces up to the big men and finally long to draw the fouls up top in the last 10mins.

I liked the look of that till I realised that was 11 outfield players. Although we as well play that and no keeper the way things are going between the sticks.

I liked the look of that till I realised that was 11 outfield players. Although we as well play that and no keeper the way things are going between the sticks.
Got there before me! but loving that team. Sod the goalie play in their half

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk