Saints 5-1 over Fulham in friendly

striker

Didn't see it posted, so in case anyone is interested. Says that Austin and Hojbjerg looked good, but obviously the players who are on International squads weren't there. Looks like we could be very competitive if we drop to the Championship :D

https://www.fansnetwork.co.uk/football/southampton/news/46899/

It was on the Club Facebook with video, as my (these days politically incorrect) Grandad use to say after Saints had thumped another team "who were we playing... the blind school".

Still the upside was that we have progressed to having real live people to try and score against rather than stick in the ground plastic men or nothing, so I guess Mr Pellegrinos comment on the back of yesterdays Echo held some truth "We are getting closer".

A Charlie Austin hat-trick, even in a closed door friendly against a team from a lower league has to be one of the highlights of our season so far, and is a massive improvment on our defeat to Wolves Reserves so you can understand why Pellegrino was so happy. Seriously though, Austin should start against Liverpool. Nobody else has looked liked scoring that many goals all season.

Austin is the only striker yet to get a chance this season. He keeps scoring in these behind closed doors friendlies and scored a few in pre season too. Has to get a chance soon. If he doesn’t work out fair enough but given that the ineffectual Shane Long has been given a chance we need to afford Austin the same courtesy.

Highlights of the goals on the SFC website show a game played at a quarter pace. As to whether or not JBS' grandad is right or not, it looks like we played more of our first team squad/international standard players whereas they played some of their first team and a few people who fancied a kickabout.

Austin is the only striker yet to get a chance this season. He keeps scoring in these behind closed doors friendlies and scored a few in pre season too. Has to get a chance soon. If he doesn’t work out fair enough but given that the ineffectual Shane Long has been given a chance we need to afford Austin the same courtesy.

As opposed to the effectual Shane Long who "always scores against us" (words of a Liverpool fan), whether employed by Saints, West Brom and Hull. Some players do well against some teams.

As opposed to the effectual Shane Long who "always scores against us" (words of a Liverpool fan), whether employed by Saints, West Brom and Hull. Some players do well against some teams.

Remind me the last time he scored FOR us or how many he got last season?

That might be down to him leaving in the next window, although those 3 goals may change it, but I heard it's pretty much done

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

That might be down to him leaving in the next window, although those 3 goals may change it, but I heard it's pretty much done

All considered, Austin has been a signing that hasn't worked out. Not been a consistent first choice under three Managers and unavailable for quite a long time.

If on the alleged sort of money touted then definitely wise to move on. His best days are behind him I think and jury still out as to his ability as a PL player in anyrhing more than a poor QPR side. Not worth 80k a week.

All considered, Austin has been a signing that hasn't worked out. Not been a consistent first choice under three Managers and unavailable for quite a long time.

If on the alleged sort of money touted then definitely wise to move on. His best days are behind him I think and jury still out as to his ability as a PL player in anyrhing more than a poor QPR side. Not worth 80k a week.

Agree and I don't get why he is always the one our fans sing for to come on when he is so far off the pace. Funny you should mention QPR as that is the destination I've been told he is heading

Our top scorer last season, fact. Should be starting every game, our only natural goal scorer

Not proven in anything more than a poor side? Same as Le Tissier then? He had a great season. How many strikers score more than 18 prem goals in a season? Very few and they were good goals against top defences too, including a cracker against us. He was worthy of that England call up at the time. He has abilities that we are lacking in our forward play, first touch, accuracy and bravery. He will never look for the foul which is what i hate about Long and Tadic, get in a good position then fall over.

I really don't get some fans dislike of him, and some of what i've read is mind boggling. His backstory is one of a kid playing part time while bricklaying, and was spotted by Eddie Howe who couldn't bring him to Bournemouth because of the embargo so told him to sign for Swindon for his own sake. A kid who even after playing for a season still couldn't believe people wanted his autograph. Who would get all the sunday papers to see his name as scorer in the results section. He's not stopped scoring since, and made a mug of every defence in every league on the way. He wasn't bred out of an academy, thus alien to us working class like most these days. He's very much a Lambert in that sense.

He signed for us not because we were the only ones interested but because his mind was made up instantly when we showed interest. He didn't want to go anywhere else.

I believe that a run in the side will start the goals flowing, i really do. This is the first time in his career, barring injury, that he's not been scoring, but it's also the first time where he's not starting games, and it must affect him. He clearly lacks match fitness. Everyone always says players need a run, and it's true. Look at Yoshida. We also say that strikers that are starting but not scoring need a break, or dropping for a bit (ala Pelle) yet Shane Long gets the nod from the Manager and a lot of peoples first 11's before the games lately. Shane Long has the worst first touch i have ever seen, falls over when getting into good positions (completey lacking the bravery that Austin has) and simply isn't scoring goals and at no point would you expect him to either. Him being on the pitch and running really fast chasing everything (before falling over) isn't working, and we're still not scoring goals so Austin needs to start over him, even if it means the manager changing it up a bit to suit. Something the manager seems unable to do, thus we contionue to not score goals.

Start him for a bit then if nothing changes then slag him off and blame him for eveything instead of doing it now when he's a bit part. He's only been on the pitch totalling 1 full game this season. He's just scored a hatrick in a friendly (to give him game time i assume) so start him next game otherwise i dont see the point. Kinda reminds me of Le Tiss back in the England friendly, grabs a hattrick in a b game but still no look in. Dumb ass Hoddle.

He's still only 28, he's not past it and if he left he'd be banging them in elsewhere. I want him to do it here.

Anyway, i just want him to get a few starts, a little run in the side and see if our luck in front of goal changes.

He has some cracking youtube vids too :) How can you not like these goals!

Best 100 goals

Prem goals for QPR

Not proven in anything more than a poor side? Same as Le Tissier then? He had a great season. How many strikers score more than 18 prem goals in a season? Very few and they were good goals against top defences too, including a cracker against us. He was worthy of that England call up at the time. He has abilities that we are lacking in our forward play, first touch, accuracy and bravery. He will never look for the foul which is what i hate about Long and Tadic, get in a good position then fall over.

I really don't get some fans dislike of him, and some of what i've read is mind boggling. His backstory is one of a kid playing part time while bricklaying, and was spotted by Eddie Howe who couldn't bring him to Bournemouth because of the embargo so told him to sign for Swindon for his own sake. A kid who even after playing for a season still couldn't believe people wanted his autograph. Who would get all the sunday papers to see his name as scorer in the results section. He's not stopped scoring since, and made a mug of every defence in every league on the way. He wasn't bred out of an academy, thus alien to us working class like most these days. He's very much a Lambert in that sense.

He signed for us not because we were the only ones interested but because his mind was made up instantly when we showed interest. He didn't want to go anywhere else.

I believe that a run in the side will start the goals flowing, i really do. This is the first time in his career, barring injury, that he's not been scoring, but it's also the first time where he's not starting games, and it must affect him. He clearly lacks match fitness. Everyone always says players need a run, and it's true. Look at Yoshida. We also say that strikers that are starting but not scoring need a break, or dropping for a bit (ala Pelle) yet Shane Long gets the nod from the Manager and a lot of peoples first 11's before the games lately. Shane Long has the worst first touch i have ever seen, falls over when getting into good positions (completey lacking the bravery that Austin has) and simply isn't scoring goals and at no point would you expect him to either. Him being on the pitch and running really fast chasing everything (before falling over) isn't working, and we're still not scoring goals so Austin needs to start over him, even if it means the manager changing it up a bit to suit. Something the manager seems unable to do, thus we contionue to not score goals.

Start him for a bit then if nothing changes then slag him off and blame him for eveything instead of doing it now when he's a bit part. He's only been on the pitch totalling 1 full game this season. He's just scored a hatrick in a friendly (to give him game time i assume) so start him next game otherwise i dont see the point. Kinda reminds me of Le Tiss back in the England friendly, grabs a hattrick in a b game but still no look in. Dumb ass Hoddle.

He's still only 28, he's not past it and if he left he'd be banging them in elsewhere. I want him to do it here.

Anyway, i just want him to get a few starts, a little run in the side and see if our luck in front of goal changes.

Best 100 goals

Prem goals for QPR

Thanks for that; never watched his goals highlights before. It's clear he heads the ball well, looks for and knows where the goal is all the time, is calm when he's on goal, can react to events quickly, reads the game well in the 6 yard box and can create space, is strong and fast when he has the goal in his sights. That makes him unique among the rest of our squad.

I think he does need a proper run: has he ever had one with us? Yes, he has had injuries that have kept him out for a long time but if he hasn't had a run, ten minutes here and there is no good (for anyone).

Out of our forwards those who you might expect to score with any frequency we have Austin, some way behind Gabbiadini, and no-one. That includes the attacking mids.

Someone said Pellegrino has said he is good when the game is 'chaotic'. The game has to be chaotic in the final third: that's when the opposition are not set up; and against a set defence of 8 or 9 who is going to find it easy to find space even if the ball is played into them properly? If that quote from MP is right then he's in the wrong league and probably should give up coaching: this isn't football manager, the game and it's not the case that if you play the same ball from player A to player B statistically you will score with 33% of the correctly-hit shots (which seems to be how MP seems to view football) because the opposition put bodies in the way or player A is Cedric and player B is Long (so good luck with that).

I agree we should play him or move him on as it doesn't help anyone but I'd rather play him and move MP on (at this rate). While it won't be a case of Allardyce coming in I bet he could get the team to play to CA's strengths. I also don't think he'd turn us into a 'long-ball' team cause we don't have anywhere near enough of that type of player to play it.

Best 100 goals

Prem goals for QPR

Excellent post

Best 100 goals

Prem goals for QPR

Wishful thinking old chap, wishful thinking. Ricky showed how it should be done, this bloke will never be another Ricky.

Out of our forwards those who you might expect to score with any frequency we have Austin, some way behind Gabbiadini, and no-one.

“Some way behind”. Pony, their record is pretty similar. What is their comparative record of goals per minutes on pitch, my gut feeling is there won’t be much difference at all. Gabbiadini been pretty ineffective all season, yet gets a free pass on here.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

The fact is we can't score goals. If we don't score we don't win. We have 2 guys on this team who have proven they can score, Gabbi and Austin. They both need to be in the line-up. If this means a formation change then so be it, the current 4-5-1 isn't doing us any good anyway. I also don't understand some people constantly down on Austin. Last year in the first half he had 9 goals (in all leagues), we'd kill for someone with 9 goals right now. Then he got hurt, now he gets 10 minutes per match. You can't judge a player getting 10 minutes per match. What did you all think when he was scoring a goal every 1.5 games last season? The emphasis some here put on pace is over the top, he's fast enough and he makes good runs. If pace is your number one objective you end up with what we have, ball possession without anything coming from it. We have pace where we need it, we need people who are top around the goal to score and create assists (and yes to scramble in some ugly goals too). Finally who cares if it comes from pens? With him in we were attacking the goal more and got pens. We've also seen that scoring on pens isn't a gimme (just ask Tadic), so why slog him about this?

Best 100 goals

Prem goals for QPR

100% agree with you, give Charlie Austin a good run with Gabbi and see what he can do. If he fails then fair enough.

It's really unfortunate that injuries have blighted his time with us because when he's been picked he's done the business. Shane Long on the other hand hasn't but still seems to magically get chances.

Unfortunately this plum of a manager insists on locking him out and consequently we keep on firing blanks. Had he been picked from the start of the season I think we would have picked up a lot more points than we have but Mr negative is fixated on 1 up front.

If he goes I wouldn't blame him and I'm sure he'll score wherever he goes too. He's a natural finisher and they aren't easy to come by, not unless you want to spend piles of cash.

Say what you will but Austin has more PL goals than anyone on our squad currently, its something like 25. Someone would want him, especially if they play 2 or 3 upfront. The end result is that the guy can score in the PL, and score boatloads in the Championship. To ignore this isn't fair.

When Austin has come on lately he's looked like a Sunday league player, who's won a raffle prize to appear in a competitive game. His penalties are great, but he looks fat and immobile.

He is pretty immobile but then again Shane long has **** loads of pace and is still crap. Just stick Austin in around the box and stop asking him to run around trying to be something his isn't. I'm pretty sure if Glen Murray can score goals in this league Austin can.

Pony

Tell that to the 3 Saints Managers who have ignored him and all the other PL sides who let us sign him with limited competition.

Just because Long is utterly **** and Gabbi not suited to a no9 role, it doesn't suddenly make Austin the answer.

Tell that to the 3 Saints Managers who have ignored him and all the other PL sides who let us sign him with limited competition.

Just because Long is utterly **** and Gabbi not suited to a no9 role, it doesn't suddenly make Austin the answer.

More pony.

Puel didn’t ignore him, he had forced himself in the side before getting injured. To say Koeman ignored him, is stretching it. He was a new signing, we had Pelle & Mane and Long was in the form of his life the few months Koeman managed him. If you think no other teams premier league teams were interested in him, you really are a plank.

Be good if he can get back to the form he showed when first here and when at Bayern before he got Puel'd.

Has he ever shown form here? We just all know he has ability as can’t be Pep’s pet if you didn’t but no real evidence and his ability to give the ball away is second to none,

Needs massive improvement to justify his signing not just blind faith that we somehow poached Bayern’s wonderkid and only a matter of time before he come good - these were my first thoughts btw.