Who do you think will be relegated?

whelk

Bit surprised about a few obvious candidates at start of season like Brighton, Huddersfield, Burnley and Watford. We are obviously v poor at the mo but still around 14/1 so no one really thinks we are going - Saintsweb nutters are not representative.

With Moyes now at West Ham’s and an even more poisonous atmosphere at London Stadium they could free fall but my prediction is:

Swansea

Huddersfield

WBA

WBA have been in terrible form since 2/3 or the way through last season. In their first 11 league matches of this season and their last 12 of last season they have only won 3. 3 wins out of 23 Premier League matches. **** poor relegation form over 2/3 of a season.

To put that in perspective, we've won 7 of our last 23 which, with a few draws, is comfortable survival form and that's despite half our squad playing below their peak.

So, I'm saying WBA, Palace and Swansea.

Edited by benjii

The more likely candidates are WBA (if Pulis stays) + Swansea. As for Palace, I suspect that have got too many good players to not be able to pull out of their nosedive.

But honestly it could be any one from 7th down, all it takes is a bad run and loss of confidence and you're in the danger zone.

SFC shouldn't be anywhere near bottom 3 with our current squad but if MP stays wedded to current tactics then he may pull us right down there too.

If MP is retained then I think there is a very real chance we will go down with Palace and Swansea. Terrible, terrible manager.

That's what people said about the last one but I don't think he'll take Leicester down. The weak squad is more of an issue, especially in attack. But, there are quite a few smaller clubs, like Swansea, Huddersfield, Burnley, Brighton and Bournemouth, which should prove to have weaker squads than ours by the end of the season.

That's what people said about the last one but I don't think he'll take Leicester down. The weak squad is more of an issue, especially in attack. But, there are quite a few smaller clubs, like Swansea, Huddersfield, Burnley, Brighton and Bournemouth, which should prove to have weaker squads than ours by the end of the season.

Pellegrino’s quality as a manager has absolutely nothing to do with Puel. No, you’re right he won’t take Leicester down but he didn’t take us down either - the fact that Puel (who I really didn’t think was the right fit for us) did considerably better with a weaker squad than Pellegrino has just shows how bad our current incumbent is.

Our ridiculously easy start is what sets us apart from the other clubs around us. I look at Leicester and Stoke and think "it's not inconceivable they could get dragged into it, but they haven't done terribly so far, and with their squad I expect them to be fine", and I imagine that's what others think about Southampton. I don't know the exact fixture lists of all the others by I doubt any have had it as 'easy on paper' as we have so far.

Our ridiculously easy start is what sets us apart from the other clubs around us. I look at Leicester and Stoke and think "it's not inconceivable they could get dragged into it, but they haven't done terribly so far, and with their squad I expect them to be fine", and I imagine that's what others think about Southampton. I don't know the exact fixture lists of all the others by I doubt any have had it as 'easy on paper' as we have so far.

Think Leicester and Stoke have both played 4 of the top-six.

Leicester will be fine. They've got a manager who can organise a team well and a decent goal threat.

Stoke look a bit of a mess though and I've never understood what virtues as a coach Mark Hughes is supposed to possess. Peter Crouch has been getting him out of gaol but I would say they are unfit, lacking quality and poorly organised.

Leicester will be fine. They've got a manager who can organise a team well and a decent goal threat.

Stoke look a bit of a mess though and I've never understood what virtues as a coach Mark Hughes is supposed to possess. Peter Crouch has been getting him out of gaol but I would say they are unfit, lacking quality and poorly organised.

Inclined to agree with all of that. Yet they still managed three points against us.

For me Swansea and Palace look the most devoid of ideas, but year after year one of the early strugglers manages to find form and lift themselves out of it. WBA look poor.

So, most likely for me are Swansea, Palace, and one other from about half the table including us.

Hope Everton go down but unlikely, same for West Ham.Bournemouth have looked poor but have had a couple of decent results. Wish I could say we're too good to go down but with an impotent attack and FF's ability to concede soft goals we're not.

Of we go down so be it I wouldn't lose any sleep. Might be a good opportunity to clear out the overpaid dross and bed in / develop youth players that actually want to be here. Championship football is more exciting. Premier league football is dull all about the big clubs over spending stupid money..... I couldn't care less if we go down :)

Palace, Swansea and one other - could easily be us but if I had to put my house on it I would go for Newcastle.

I think the one thing in our favour is that we should, in theory, be able to improve. If we get a decent wedge for VVD in January it shouldn’t take a managerial genius to use the money well enough to see us safe.

The more likely candidates are WBA (if Pulis stays) + Swansea. As for Palace, I suspect that have got too many good players to not be able to pull out of their nosedive.

But honestly it could be any one from 7th down, all it takes is a bad run and loss of confidence and you're in the danger zone.

SFC shouldn't be anywhere near bottom 3 with our current squad but if MP stays wedded to current tactics then he may pull us right down there too.

I think you mean if Pulis leaves? Don't forget the 3 certainties in life: death, taxes, and Pulis never gets relegated.

We can't score goals though.

Yet despite our atypically low goals scored, we've still scored more than Huddersfield, Bournemouth, Swansea and Palace, the same as West Brom and only one less than the team in 7th. If we get even remotely close to previous seasons we'll be somewhere midtable.

FWIW I'm going for Bournemouth Swansea and West Brom, with Palace, Huddersfield and Stoke down there too. West Ham and Everton *should* have enough to get out of it, but depends on their managerial appointments - which isn't really the case for Saints, as we'll always pick a certain "type", the downside of course being our predictability...

Totally agree with you my friend we should have hoped for at least another 6-7 points more than we have given our so called qualities in our squad,or do we look at our team with rose tinted specticales?

I think we will be in the bottom 3. We have that “too good to be relegated” thing going on meanwhile we struggle to score and have those games where we let in the opposition’s only shot. That is relegation form.

Palace and Swans to join us.

That's not relegation form, especially the conceding from the only shot - only conceding one shot is a very good indicator you're not going to lose often. That kind of shot to goal ratio just doesn't continue across an entire season (and nor does missing loads of decent chances like we did in the second half of last season, which is why our chance quality dropping off this season is even more annoying).

I don't see us making 40 points, so survival is going to come down to how poor everyone else is in comparison.

I think all three promoted sides will stay up, so there's going to be some "established" names falling through the trapdoor this season - Saints' mixture of self-important prima donnas, arm-waving, shoulder-shrugging lack of fight, and general lethargy is not exactly well suited to a successful relegation battle.

Sent from my F3311 using Tapatalk

Palace, West Ham, Brighton

Roy will see Palace down, dead cat bounce last couple of games.

West Ham won't get enough points at the Olympic Stadium.

Brighton - did anyone else see the end of last season? They fell apart totally, and I expect them to do it again. As it starts occurring Hughton will go all 'Puel/Pellegrino' and it will just get worse and worse. 18th.

Edited by Kingsbridge Saint

I a man not saying that we WILL be relegated, but I genuinely think we will be involved in that part of the table in the spring. My worry is that there is only one team I am very confident of finishing above, and that is Swansea. I still think Palace will finish strongly under Woy.

Investment in a tall target man in January I think should see us clear of drop zone, but in absence of this I think we are in some trouble with fixture list before we reach the halfway point. Don’t forget we have extra away game in second half of season because of Wet Spam shambles

Swansea for one

Probably two from: Brighton/B'mouth/Palace/Saints/West Ham/Hudds/W Brom/Stoke/Newcastle

If we assume all those teams are equally poor / equally likely / equally unlikely to go on good runs or fall into a death spiral / change their managers in a good way or a bad way / improve or not improve in the window etc etc Then it looks like:

a we're definitely in it

b we 'only' have a 2/9 chance of going down (!)

Fixtures played/fixtures remaining is definitely a concern; LOL at those pinning their hopes on signing players in Jan - it will take far more than 'new players' to stop the rot (though a new GK will give us a fighting chance).

My prediction is we will change manager over Xmas, buy two starting level players, and pull clear by mid March, finishing around 11-12-13 mark.

I a man not saying that we WILL be relegated, but I genuinely think we will be involved in that part of the table in the spring. My worry is that there is only one team I am very confident of finishing above, and that is Swansea. I still think Palace will finish strongly under Woy.

Investment in a tall target man in January I think should see us clear of drop zone, but in absence of this I think we are in some trouble with fixture list before we reach the halfway point. Don’t forget we have extra away game in second half of season because of Wet Spam shambles

feels like we do better away from home tbh- 8 points from 7 home games versus 5 points from 4 home games.

In terms of who I think will go down, don't think it will be us, but think we'll be closer to it than previously- have us in the 40-45 points region- which is rather damning considering the quality of squad compared to our 2012-13 team that managed 41 points.

I agree, although I've thought that about Stoke for a couple of seasons and they continue to have a knack of getting unexpected results. Whether that will continue indefinitely who knows.

My point was mainly about how other teams/fans probably view Saints' chances of going down, but that they're probably unaware of how comparably easy our fixtures have been. Let's not forget that not only have we not played many of the best teams, but we have also played 7 of our 11 matches at home.