Class Act

ziggee

Steven Davis is sadly undervalued by a large portion of the fanbase. I'm just sad he won't get to see a world cup.

He made the Euros which is more than you’d have thought 10 years ago. I’m just hoping he can end up skippering us to another cup final which we win. Will defo cement him as a Saints legend then.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Steven Davis is sadly undervalued by a large portion of the fanbase. I'm just sad he won't get to see a world cup.

No he's significantly overrated by a large portion of the fanbase. He's never even been linked with a move to the big boys throughout his career because he's an average midtable player

No he's significantly overrated by a large portion of the fanbase. He's never even been linked with a move to the big boys throughout his career because he's an average midtable player

Yeah that's right, "worst player to pull on a saints shirt blah blah blah"

Great advert for the game if a 0-0 can be such a thing. Two teams going toe to toe in knockout cup football is just so much better to watch than endless playing-not-to-lose league football. Thought the ref was excellent, let both teams go for it and made allowance for the conditions and didn't buy any of the falling over stuff.

Can I place an order for 3 bags of that, my roses will love it, actually make it 4 as I fancy trying Rhubarb in the garden.

Its a good point but just because he falls under the radar does not make him 'average'. I think his goal scoring is the one key area that would turn off a lot of suitors. I like the the player, the man and his midfield game, however he should score more goals if he is an attacking midfielder. he does miss a lot of chances.

Great advert for the game if a 0-0 can be such a thing. Two teams going toe to toe in knockout cup football is just so much better to watch than endless playing-not-to-lose league football. Thought the ref was excellent, let both teams go for it and made allowance for the conditions and didn't buy any of the falling over stuff.

Which is a real kick in the bullox given the ref (and THAT decision in the first leg). Who knows what would have happened in extra time - the NI lads deserved at least that.

That apart - I'm a great fan of Steve Davis - always puts in a shift, contrary to what others may think, I think he does look forward and try and play that way. Ok maybe not courted by the top clubs, but a very very good player nonetheless. A very good ambassador for the club to boot.

You know they haven't, of course. They won't want him now because he is nearly 33 years old.

He's nearly 33 now...

but remember...at 28 years old (arguably the prime of a footballers career) he signed, on a free, to a team that had just been promoted to the prem. Being free, you would have thought that teams would be queuing up to sign him, yet we managed to get him.

And, it appears, that no one has tried to sign him since.

He's nearly 33 now...

but remember...at 28 years old (arguably the prime of a footballers career) he signed, on a free, to a team that had just been promoted to the prem. Being free, you would have thought that teams would be queuing up to sign him, yet we managed to get him.

That was all down to the allure, power and machismo of Cortese.

He’s been a regular in a side that finished 8th,7th,6th then 8th again and has been regularly picked and appreciated by 5 different managers. Including THE bright young managerial talent of the present time , and one of the greatest players ever to have played the game. He is probably the most consistent outfield pro in the league who is not at a champions league club. I’ve no doubt had we not been doing so well, Europe, cup final and top 8 finishes year after year, he may well have wanted to move to a club that could offer him these things. And he’d have no end of takers.

He’s well respected at every club he’s played for, and he’s well respected throughout the game, apart from a few planks on here.

Can I place an order for 3 bags of that, my roses will love it, actually make it 4 as I fancy trying Rhubarb in the garden.

What would you describe an attacking midfielder as that doesn't create or score goals and has spent his entire career playing for midtable sides (or in the SPL)?

A great lad and fantastic value signing for us at 800k or whatever it was, but there is a reason he's never come close to playing for one of the big 6

He’s been a regular in a side that finished 8th,7th,6th then 8th again and has been regularly picked and appreciated by 5 different managers. Including THE bright young managerial talent of the present time , and one of the greatest players ever to have played the game. He is probably the most consistent outfield pro in the league who is not at a champions league club. I’ve no doubt had we not been doing so well, Europe, cup final and top 8 finishes year after year, he may well have wanted to move to a club that could offer him these things. And he’d have no end of takers.

He’s well respected at every club he’s played for, and he’s well respected throughout the game, apart from a few planks on here.

Look at the teams hes played for, look at the position he plays in, then look at his assist and goal stats.

Redmond gets picked regularly as well....

The rest of your post, like mine, is just your opinion.

You never know. He'll be 37 the time the next World Cup comes around, Aaron Hughes is still chugging along and getting in the squad at 38.

His best days will certainly be behind him but I can still see him doing a job, seems just the sort of player who you could chuck on for 20-30 mins to steady things if that's what was needed.

The player Davis reminds me most of is Matt Oakley.

Unspectacular, steady, doesn't tend to stand out when we play well, or when we play poorly. Never found wanting or seeming to be exceptional.

He is however a vital cog in the machine, only really noticed when he isn't playing at all.

Without him we would be worse off and his efforts have been vital in stabilising us back in the top flight over the last 5 years. He was a brilliant signing and remains a key player.

He's nearly 33 now...

and of course you know for a fact that no one has tried since. Still, he hasn't played for a top 6 side so he must be crap, MLT would presumably have to agree with such an assessment. At the time he played for Villa and Rangers they were top sides, of course they aren't now. The guy appears to be someone who is happy with his lot and loyal to teams he plays for. He is not the greatest player in the world by a long way, but he is an above average PL player who gives his all, is vital to making us tick and altogether an all round nice guy, but a few people here still want to knock the bloke and make themselves look small minded.

and of course you know for a fact that no one has tried since. Still, he hasn't played for a top 6 side so he must be crap, MLT would presumably have to agree with such an assessment. At the time he played for Villa and Rangers they were top sides, of course they aren't now. The guy appears to be someone who is happy with his lot and loyal to teams he plays for. He is not the greatest player in the world by a long way, but he is an above average PL player who gives his all, is vital to making us tick and altogether an all round nice guy, but a few people here still want to knock the bloke and make themselves look small minded.

People just love to bash a player even if the player does`nt deserve it... not sure why

The player Davis reminds me most of is Matt Oakley.

Unspectacular, steady, doesn't tend to stand out when we play well, or when we play poorly. Never found wanting or seeming to be exceptional.

He is however a vital cog in the machine, only really noticed when he isn't playing at all.

Without him we would be worse off and his efforts have been vital in stabilising us back in the top flight over the last 5 years. He was a brilliant signing and remains a key player.

Agree.

All in all, he generally keeps the ball very well, but also lacks the final bit of creativity in the final 3rd.

He was excellent when he had flair players around him (Mane, Lallana, Tadic and JRod in form), but with the current squad especially as he is getting older, perhaps isn't as effective as years gone by.

To summarise, he's a good player, who's had a decent but not really spectacular career. A great bit of business by Les / Mitchell / Cortese / Nigel (whoever decided to go and get him), and the perfect captain for us, he's a role model on and off the pitch.

After us, I'd like to see him back at Rangers and help them return to past glories - I wonder if Michael O'neill was to take the Rangers job, if he'd try and get SD to go with him?

Edited by SKD

http://www.dailyecho.co.uk/sport/15652146.LAWRIE__Davis_is_my_sort_of_player/

Lawrie rates him as a player and I respect his opinion still. He used to say that a team needed violinists and road sweepers. The likes of Tadic and Boufal are the violinists and Davis epitomises the industrious, never-tiring, always reliable road sweeper epithet. He exemplifies the never say die attitude, no matter what the odds are against the team. He is the ultimate professional, a shining example to the other players in the squad and somebody the younger players can look up to.

It's a shame that some of our posters don't recognise those qualities, but then again, some of them are bang average when it comes to supporting our team.