11th over last 50 years

Nordic Saint

Yep - about the time I've been supporting and roughly where I would expect (if anything I thought a bit lower, but hey-ho). Amongst all the 'him out' threads I've always maintained that we are an average first tier team (or have been in my life time) so the table pretty much fits my expectations. Somebody will now come on and tell me my expectations are low, but that's not the case, they are realistic based on what it takes to reach the higher levels of the table consistently.

Don't get me wrong, do I want improvement, yes I do, but also I know that, in the grand scheme of things, we ain't actually doing as bad as some of the posters on here would have you think.

Yes, 11th best team in the last 50 years, but with an average position of just above 17th. When I saw 11th I thought it was too high. Maybe Dalek's onto something?

Agree - the table rewards hanging around in the top flight (which we've largely done). Would be good to know what our long-term average position in the top division is when we've been in it. It will be higher than 17th which is necessarily skewed downwards by the years spent in divisions two and three.

Pretty good for a team that until 51 years ago had never been in the top division and for which the promised land was just to get there. How expectations change,

Yup, and 51 years ago, the same posters would be telling us we should be happy with 2nd / 3rd tier.

Shocking we haven't got more of a trophy cabinet considering the players we've had over that time.

It's the final hurdles we seem to fall at. Altogether we've been in 14 FA Cup & League Cup semi-finals. You'd expect us to have 3 or 4 trophies. In contrast, Pompey, who were only in the top flight for 33 seasons in their history, were in a total of just 7 semi-finals. Even Leeds have only ever been in 13 semi-finals.

It could be down to repeated bad luck or perhaps we are just too nice and content to make up the numbers.There has never been much of a ruthless or arrogant streak at Southampton.

It's the final hurdles we seem to fall at. Altogether we've been in 14 FA Cup & League Cup semi-finals. You'd expect us to have 3 or 4 trophies. In contrast, Pompey, who were only in the top flight for 33 seasons in their history, were in a total of just 7 semi-finals. Even Leeds have only ever been in 13 semi-finals.

It could be down to repeated bad luck or perhaps we are just too nice and content to make up the numbers.There has never been much of a ruthless or arrogant streak at Southampton.

Definitely some truth in that, current set up more than ever.