If we sell VVD in January...

Dusic

Then what was the point in keeping him in the summer and causing all the uncertainty?

Fair enough sell in the summer but if we let him go in Jan then it seems pointless to have made that stance given he will have only made about 10 additional starts.

Especially if we are in a relegation battle, selling your best player isn't a good move. Plus, as Reedo always tells us (and we found with Fonte), January isn't a good time to source quality players.

I have it on good authority (from a current first team player I bumped into a week ago) that VVD is only being played because the club want to sell him and he needs to be in the shop window. Yoshida and Hoedt have been told they will rotate for the other CB place which is why Hoedt didn't play against Burnley.

I doubt he was sold in the summer because 1) allegedly no bids came in for him 2) having made such a stand on the 'we will not sell any of our best players' policy this summer, the fans would have turned big time on old Les had he gone back on his word.... again 3) Liverpool were the only club to allegedly be interested yet they had their hands tied due to the tapping up and could only make a move if we invited them to which we wouldn't as per point 2.

If an acceptable bid comes along in January my opinion would be that we would sell him then. Not ideal I know but having spent such a large amount of money on Hoedt, I can't see him being happy sat on the bench one week on, one week off for the whole season so rather than end up with two Dutch CB's who are ******ed off and wanting to leave, they may just cash in on him in January.

We won't bring in anyone if VVD goes, we already have his replacement in Hoedt.

Two from Hoedt, Yoshida, Stephens and Bednarek is probably deemed sufficient by the club. We also have Gardos and a couple of youth players who could be called upon if needed.

That's my opinion of the way the club view it by the way, not what I would do. I'd bring in another CB who could walk into the first team and either play him with Hoedt/Yoshida in a central pairing or play 3 at the back with Bertrand Cedric as wing backs, Lemina and Oriel in front of the back three, and Boufal just behind a top two of Gabbi plus Austin or a new striker we should bring in.

I don't see what's changed really... The clubs stance should remain 'he's not for sale (if clubs know he's for sale then that weakens our hand), unless it's for a ridiculous price (£50m+) and to anyone but the Victims'.

I don't think much has changed on the surface but I do think Saints do see VVD now as a saleable asset, are aware of the January premium and that other teams e.g. Chelsea might very well want to bring him in if they think he might help them get closer to Man City. I do see Man Utd in that even if they don't especially rate him because they do need in some way to be seen to be doing something and chasing down Man City and because Lindegaard (is it?) hasn't really flourished. That said, they do still have reasonable options in what they have already but if Bertie goes as well (unlikely I think) then it might make the chance of Shaw returning greater. That said, I think the fact that the club let him go so readily so early on even though he had kicked up a fuss suggests that they were happy to see him go and don't see a need for him back.

I think we all agree that VVD won't be a Saints player at this time next year.

I have it on good authority (from a current first team player I bumped into a week ago) that VVD is only being played because the club want to sell him and he needs to be in the shop window. Yoshida and Hoedt have been told they will rotate for the other CB place which is why Hoedt didn't play against Burnley.

I doubt he was sold in the summer because 1) allegedly no bids came in for him 2) having made such a stand on the 'we will not sell any of our best players' policy this summer, the fans would have turned big time on old Les had he gone back on his word.... again 3) Liverpool were the only club to allegedly be interested yet they had their hands tied due to the tapping up and could only make a move if we invited them to which we wouldn't as per point 2.

If an acceptable bid comes along in January my opinion would be that we would sell him then. Not ideal I know but having spent such a large amount of money on Hoedt, I can't see him being happy sat on the bench one week on, one week off for the whole season so rather than end up with two Dutch CB's who are ******ed off and wanting to leave, they may just cash in on him in January.

So we didn't want to sell him but now we're only playing him so we can sell him because we want to sell him? And the management have told this to the players?

Doesn't make much sense unless we suddenly changed our mind when the transfer window ended.

Then what was the point in keeping him in the summer and causing all the uncertainty?

Fair enough sell in the summer but if we let him go in Jan then it seems pointless to have made that stance given he will have only made about 10 additional starts.

Especially if we are in a relegation battle, selling your best player isn't a good move. Plus, as Reedo always tells us (and we found with Fonte), January isn't a good time to source quality players.

We didn't keep him in the summer because he was our best player we kept him to make a point to Liverpool (and other clubs) and the players that we won't put up with blatant tapping up.

Had Liverpool, Klopp, VVD and his agent gone about things the right way last summer I've no doubt VVD would be turning out for Liverpool rather than saints this weekend.

This whole saga was about the club showing it wouldn't be bullied rather than any desire to keep a 70million player. If he goes in January it will be because the club feel they've made a point.

On slightly different note if we are in a relegation battle VVD will be **** all use anyway. He might be one of our best players but like Bertrand he is just going through the motions every week. In a relegation battle you need people who want to fight for survival and a VVD who thinks he is off next summer will only be worried about not picking up and injury.

Pellegrino’s comments certainly would have encouraged the Liverpool supporters who want VVD. He’s not cup tied in Europe, which probably makes him an attractive prospect. Also the “Liverpool are repairing relations with Southampton” stories did the rounds yesterday. It does all seem like track is being laid in the media for a January sale.

I can’t see why the club would make so much noise about not selling him in the summer, only to let him go to them in January.

A current first team player, not away on international duty.... I wonder who that could be..

We won't bring in anyone if VVD goes, we already have his replacement in Hoedt.

Two from Hoedt, Yoshida, Stephens and Bednarek is probably deemed sufficient by the club. We also have Gardos and a couple of youth players who could be called upon if needed.

That's my opinion of the way the club view it by the way, not what I would do. I'd bring in another CB who could walk into the first team and either play him with Hoedt/Yoshida in a central pairing or play 3 at the back with Bertrand Cedric as wing backs, Lemina and Oriel in front of the back three, and Boufal just behind a top two of Gabbi plus Austin or a new striker we should bring in.

recipe for relegation

I'd be hugely, hugely surprised if VVD goes to Liverpool in January or even at all. From what i understand the club are still fuming at them for how they acted in the summer.

any tune from the club on the realisation that MP is out of his depth, in a massive way?

I'd be hugely, hugely surprised if VVD goes to Liverpool in January or even at all. From what i understand the club are still fuming at them for how they acted in the summer.

I would say that position HAS softened since the summer, in the summer it was an outright "never going to happen", now it's more of a they're still really p*ssed at them. So never say never i guess.

There is quite a difference in these two statements.

Pellegrino more or less confirmed that van Dyck will be sold in January, "every player has his price" "I dunno", "it's up to the owners" ....

He's gone!

:mcinnes: :rolleyes:

Wow! Talk about jumping to conclusions! Of course every player has a price, that is hardly groundbreaking news. If someone bid £1 billion for any player he'd be sold, it is then a question of where the cut off point between £0 and £1 billion is for him.

I'd flog VVD and Bertrand to the highest bidder on january the first neither look even slightly bothered VVD's value is dropping by the game he suddenly looks mediocre. Spend the money on a target man a creative midfielder and a left back oh and compensation for a new manager who isn't so scared of loosing he puts that above everything else!

Are you being ironic?

Vietto's 5'8" and weighs about 10 stone. Not that he's a bad player, but I certainly wouldn't describe him as strong or powerful.

Gignac would be good, if a bit old. i thought okaka was good at watford, a fresh start could be good for him. bas dost. Jovetic. all could do a job, in combo with a manager who isn't scared to attack.