Mauricio Pellegrino: In or Out?

Bad Wolf

Should He Stay or Should He Go?  

508 members have voted

1. 1. Should He Stay or Should He Go?

Out. There’s not even a debate worth having. The tactics aren’t working and the players aren’t playing for him. I’ve not wanted a manager gone this much since Burley.

Get someone else in, consolidate through this awkward period and give them the tools they need in the January window, whilst trying to get rid of lots of the dross.

I think part of the problem with Puel is that the players weren't right behind him from the outset, VVD most publicly. Ok, it's part of the managers job to put that right but I think he was let down by a few players. We are worse now as a result.

I'm inclined to say out as we need a manager who can take the club by the scruff of the neck and stamp their personality on it. Trouble is, would anyone of that calibre want to come here when it's quite obvious that they are given certain parameters to play/work within?

Definitely out. I thought it was the definition of madness to keep repeating the same thing and expecting a different result. Why hasn't he tried playing Gabbiadini with Austin? Why is Redmond in for very match?? Why doesn't he try Tadic on the left, If he's going to play him? Bloody frustrating. Tactically out played by Burnley. How low does it have to go.

The important point is the players don't look like they believe in him.

Clearly not an improvement on Puel and sadly we are going backwards, so it’s out as far as I am concerned. That said I am not sure realistically who we could get in at short notice. Maybe Michael O’Neill?

If the job became available there would be a list of applicants as long as your arm.

Out. There are a host of familiar names who "wouldn't do any worse", but I'm not sure how many of them would do significantly better either, and I don't want us to embrace Allardyce-football. People suggesting Adkins, Strachan and Koeman. Get a grip, you're allowed to employ people who haven't already been manager!

There must be managers out there who play the way we ought to be playing. Pellegrino was friends with Pochettino and presumably, given what Reed said after his appointment, said he liked intensive football (i.e. pressing and attacking). Maybe next time we appoint someone with a track record of that rather than someone who just says it in an interview.

That does bring me on to another question though - is Reed looking for the right coaches? If Puel and Pellegrino are anything to go by, he doesn't get it. I'm not convinced Reed is as great as some like to make out - and certainly not as good as he likes to make out - but am prepared to give him some credit (or at least the benefit of the doubt) for the general strategy of the club. But I do have to question whether he is implementing the correct football 'philosophy' - "from top to bottom" no less. Worrying.

Will Les really have to wait until after we fail to beat Everton at home to realise the predicament and get rid?

As others have said the ideal opportunity was the international break, but Les did what Les does best, dithers, and dithers again. Unless of course he is waiting the nod that our carefully selected replacement is ready to come in, just as he did when Puel was sacked.

Will Les really have to wait until after we fail to beat Everton at home to realise the predicament and get rid?

As others have said the ideal opportunity was the international break, but Les did what Les does best, dithers, and dithers again. Unless of course he is waiting the nod that our carefully selected replacement is ready to come in, just as he did when Puel was sacked.

Les has totally lost the plot. Staff and players, let alone fans, cannot have any further confidence in him. When that happens in an organisation which is high profile, there can only be one outcome. Enjoy your retirement Les.

I've voted out because he is TACTICALLY CLUELESS about (1) how to set the team up to get lots of players into the opposition box or (2) how to stop the opposition playing i.e. 3 tight central midfielder against liverpoo to stop them playing as we did last year.

But I am concerned with who takes over. I fear that Les would just appoint Black, and a few months later nothing will really change and the Black Out campaign will start.

Out. His tenure has had absolutely ZERO redeeming features. We have regressed in every possible way. Something I thought was impossible after last season.

At least you could see what Claude was doing with his interesting possibilities.

We didn't high-press, but we had a style that you could see what we were trying to do. He also had a decent run at bringing in a few new lads.

McQueen / Stephens / Sims all came through well. JWP had his best season. Ditto Romeu.

I've no idea what we're doing under MP aside from not getting shots on target.

I've voted out because he is TACTICALLY CLUELESS about (1) how to set the team up to get lots of players into the opposition box or (2) how to stop the opposition playing i.e. 3 tight central midfielder against liverpoo to stop them playing as we did last year.

But I am concerned with who takes over. I fear that Les would just appoint Black, and a few months later nothing will really change and the Black Out campaign will start.

I think the Black Out campaign would be immediate given his reputation before us.

Of our ex managers two lost 2-0 and the other is unemployed ! We need a young energetic manager (no not Pullis ) . but who ? No idea as seemingly good managers turn out to unable to cope at their new club . At best you can expect one good season before the player merry go round turns your team into toothless wonders .

No one comes to mind as a likely replacement Guardiola could get a bit more out of this bunch but ....

Sadly all that will lift the players and the fans is a so called 'sexy' new manager which as we stand will be next to impossible to attract , I am very sad to say that I think with the ownership , board and our uncertain financial position we are facing a bleak season and possible future . I am usually an upbeat fan who can find some good and rays of sunshine to hold on to during the season but even that is evading me at the moment and I can't see our way out of our predicament , really wish I could .

Agree about Rodgers. Think we could get him but maybe not until the end of the season?

He would be a fantastic appointment given our current predicament - pretty sad to say that given I wouldn't have touched him a few years ago.

We can’t afford any more punts unless we want to be relegated.

Then we need the new owners to put their hand in their pocket, Jog Les on and stamp their authority, Otherwise their 200m quid investment will be in the championship!

Even though the football was pretty dire at times last year (though also some good games), I do recall Puel sometimes saying things like "we don't move the ball fast enough" etc, even if we hadn't lost. Of course, that doesn't excuse poor performances, but it at least hints that he wasn't satisfied with our turgid displays, just that he was struggling to address it. Pellegrino's team is worse and yet he always seems to be happy with it!

Puel I gave more time but was concerned, but there were excuses, europa, more injuries etc. Plus, we'd had a few glimpses of better football.

Let's be very clear, we've had no good performances under Pellegrino. 3 wins, 2 versus sides with 0 points, 1 v a terrible West Brom side, all by 1 goal, 2 of them scraped late on. That is horrendous.

He changes the team every game, seems utterly clueless in what he wants to do. Tadic is never played in his proper position, he's also never dropped. Players like Redmond and Long get rewarded with recalls for playing badly. He sets us up to sit back, keep possession, take no risks and pass backwards.

So frustrating seeing people make excuses and bang on about signings, 2 up front, new strikers etc. We have a massively underperforming squad. Ridiculously so. 2 up front right now means 2 players not getting the ball. A new striker means another expensive frustrated guy up front, not getting the ball.

We need someone to energise this squad, create a coherent team, let them get forward and support the forwards, and THEN we can talk about new signings.

Agree with all this. Funnily enough I think our best performance of the season might have been against Man Utd, where we were genuinely a bit unlucky not to equalise. But other than that it's been largely woeful.

Lack of quality in the final third the problem not the managers (Puel and Pellegrino) in my opinion. Redmond, Gabbiadini, Long, Austin, Tadic and Boufal simply do not create or take chances. They are not good enough. Neither too are Hojbjerg and JWP leaving us having to play Davis as part of a two man central midfield, which despite is qualities he is not up to. Add in a keeper that has never been good enough and you have a tough tough job.