Mauricio Pellegrino: In or Out?

Bad Wolf

Should He Stay or Should He Go?  

508 members have voted

1. 1. Should He Stay or Should He Go?

I think the main problem still is who do we replace him with. Look at the options that Everton, wham, WBA, Leicester, Palace etc have had to sift through, none of those appointments have been particularly inspiring. Might be better, providing we survive, review options again in summer......

My reaction too. I'm really pleased with the performance, and it shows that our players can do better.

Don't like that it has taken this long, or that it takes a game against such poor opposition for us to look like a team. So I remain in the MoPe out (and asap) camp.

.....and I HOPE I'm proven wrong: that he kicks on from here to become a very successful manager for us.

This sums it up for me, really hope this is the start of better things & he can turn us around but I fear Everton made us look good today & this is just a false dawn!

**** me, you lot want to go change managers as quickly as my snap dragon changes hair colour.

Great selection , tactics and substitutions today, yes they were shocking, but give the guy a break. I'm not sure about him and would have preferred Puel to stay, but judging a bloke after a dozen or so games is madness. Not acknowledging how well he did today is classless. He had our 2 brilliant CM out today , and his tactical set up covered that brilliantly.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Edited by Lord Duckhunter

**** me, you lot want to go change managers as quickly as my snap dragon changes hair colour.

Great selection , tactics and substitutions today, yes they were shocking, but give the guy a break. I'm not sure about him and would have preferred Puel to stay, but judging a bloke after a dozen or so games is madness.

Rubbish 85% of people agree, we can only judge him on the games so far are you saying no manager should be judged on what they've done by xmas & it gives no indication to their quality?

Great selection , tactics and substitutions today, yes they were shocking, but give the guy a break. I'm not sure about him and would have preferred Puel to stay, but judging a bloke after a dozen or so games is madness. Not acknowledging how well he did today is classless. He had our 2 brilliant CM out today , and his tactical set up covered that brilliantly.

Today he was spot on why has it taken so long? Still want better goalie coach as ours go backwards.

He has to follow this up v Bmth and Leicester to prove he has it.

Keep the manager if we must but get better coaches to help him.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

Rubbish 85% of people agree, we can only judge him on the games so far are you saying no manager should be judged on what they've done by xmas & it gives no indication to their quality?

You can judge a manager anytime you want, but they should be given more than 15 games to prove themselves.

You might talk ****** on the more political stuff but when it comes to the footy, nail on head! All the Twitter **** and the like over the last week has been as you say utterly classless\.

Well, I think that today was the first sign of him implementing something that looked like an actual style to the team's play. We mixed the passing up more, alternated between crossing and pass and move, had players joining up from deep and drifting inside from wide positions. Everything I thought we wouldn't get while he was manager.

If we keep doing that, I'm happy to change my mind about him. I thought our previous lack of bravery with the ball was horrific to watch, but today that seemed to turn a corner. Wednesday's game is basically a free hit, not expecting anything much from it, but if we try to recreate what we did today next weekend I'll be happy!

Well, I think that today was the first sign of him implementing something that looked like an actual style to the team's play. We mixed the passing up more, alternated between crossing and pass and move, had players joining up from deep and drifting inside from wide positions. Everything I thought we wouldn't get while he was manager.

Hopefully today's performance will provide a bit of a blueprint about how to take things forward.

Cast your minds back to 2001 when Strachan forst arrived. He started by trying to play 3 central defenders, a formation which he abandoned because, accroding to own admission, he didn't have players with the capability of playing anything other than 4-4-2. The record under those first 6 games under Strachan, 5 losses & 1 draw. Having changed, we then won 6 out of our next 9 games.

Now maybe it's taken Pellegrino a few more games to work things out but hopefully he has. And maybe some of the fanbase could spend as much energy supporting the team as they have calling for the managers head over the last few weeks.

I think the main problem still is who do we replace him with. Look at the options that Everton, wham, WBA, Leicester, Palace etc have had to sift through, none of those appointments have been particularly inspiring. Might be better, providing we survive, review options again in summer......

This is more my worry, I am not a great fan of him so far and I don't think he was the right choice but the potential options look horrid.

Everton haven't found anyone in 5 weeks but Silva (who our board must regret not going for, he's surely up for a big job now if he keeps this up with Watford), Leicester went with our reject, Palace got one of the most boring England managers in history and West Ham got Moyes who is like a poison chalice everywhere he has been since Everton. If we go a little further back to last year, then Swansea got a guy who hardly excelled at Derby, Leicester appointed their assistant manager (only to sack him barely 6 months later),

At this rate Everton will end up with Steve McClaren!

Also a lot lies with the players as well, today they were up for it and look what happened (helped we had a few players in there with a point to prove like Austin, PEH and JWP).

Can't see us getting the next up and coming young European manager, Silva was that last year and we passed on him, Tuchel wants higher than us so it would be a big gamble on the black box pulling out another Pochettino, not another Puel/Pellegrino

Edited by tajjuk

I’ve been in the Pellegrino out camp but the “who will we replace him with” argument seems pretty lucid to me. Everton’s efforts to replace Koeman have been nothing short of farcical. W.Ham have Moyes. Palace have Hodgson. West Brom have no one so far, but Pardew is looking like a possibility. Leicester might have done alright getting Puel. Would we have been pleased to get any of those managers? Does Les have an ace up his sleeve?

I don't think Sundays performance had that much to do with MP, he was summoned to a meeting, I think the board mainly LR basically told him the team lineup (spelled it out) & attacking formation, substitutions & tactics have to improve fast or he's a goner!

Coincidence that we suddenly improve after a final warning to make changes

Sent from my Moto G (4) using Tapatalk

I don't think Sundays performance had that much to do with MP, he was summoned to a meeting, I think the board mainly LR basically told him the team lineup (spelled it out) & attacking formation, substitutions & tactics have to improve fast or he's a goner!

Some one do the Carl Pilkington Meme !

So should we follow this to it's natural conclusion... should we appointing Les Reed as manager if he knows how to get us winning and scoring at home?

Les-Reed-Charlton-808781.jpg

(or more likely... your claim is bull**** and no such meeting happened)

Please tell me you’re on a wind up. If you believe this pony you really need to seek help.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

It's been reported over here, that the meeting was a full blooded, everyone gets a say, meeting, with Coaches, players and some management. Make of it what you will, but the performance against Everton, was far better.

MoPe starting with a few 2nd team players like JWP, Austin, PHE was to let Long, Redmond and Gabby to play Manchester City on this Wednesday. This result surprised him and disturb his plan.

Ha, you know there may be a lot of truth to this. He seemed sort of ****y after the game, probably because now he has the deal with all the fans wanting Austin and Hojberg in the side. Plus it showed his team selection's sucked.

Yeah, right. I'm sure that really happened. Exactly as you have written it. No doubt. In your head. Whose picking the team for the next game? Ralph.

Well that's total bullsh*t (other than the meeting part which did happen)

Ha, you know there may be a lot of truth to this. He seemed sort of ****y after the game, probably because now he has the deal with all the fans wanting Austin and Hojberg in the side. Plus it showed his team selection's sucked.

The body language experts are back. Lord help us !!!

...and for your information. no there's not a lot of truth to it on account of it being completely made up.

• 2 weeks later...

Has to go still, no idea of game management could have won today and Bournemouth with the right substitutions and starting line up, if lemina wasn't fit he shouldn't be on bench if was good for 30min then he shouldve done so to shore up midfield, boufal should have played instead of the useless Redmond again, just too cautious has cost us points again

Has to go still, no idea of game management could have won today and Bournemouth with the right substitutions and starting line up, if lemina wasn't fit he shouldn't be on bench if was good for 30min then he shouldve done so to shore up midfield, boufal should have played instead of the useless Redmond again, just too cautious has cost us points again

Got to go based on substitutions he didn’t make and of course no way of knowing they couldn’t have had real negative outcome. Fck me we have some plums for supporters.

Same tw ats clamouring for Puel to go after a 0-0 at Anfield cos we ‘always used to beat the big sides’

Substitutes can define games and mp has proved he hasn't much of a clue, strengthening our midfield for the last 30 or taking off a knackered Charlie after 60min would've helped our cause today, no need for the plums or tw*ts but that's what shouldve happened

**** me, what a know all.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Agree bolstering our midfield would have helped today and with Lemina on the bench it made sense. Still, I'm seeing improvements and as long as I see the team working hard and scoring goals I'm willing to give him more time.

The problem with this manager is that he cannot avoid us losing in a game we could have a draw (eg vs Man City) and keep us winning in a game that we should win ( eg vs Aresenal). He is absolutely clueless and has no second plan. He is a stupid verson of Puel. OUT

Definitely more signs of improvement lately, but seeing Redmond start on the left again today really makes me wonder what he sees and what he’s learning...

I thought/hoped that Boufal’s form and the fact that against Bournemouth he (NR) did ok and set up a goal from the right might be enough for the penny to drop with Pellegrino. Tadic has been doing better not being on the right, but Redmond stays on the left and continues to do the same sh1t.

Baby steps of improvement, but the fact is only the bottom four have won less games than us - at the end of this relatively difficult run of fixtures over the Christmas and New Year period, is anyone confident that we'll be in any better shape?

4 wins in 17 matches in all competitions is pretty abject any way you slice it.

Sent from my F3311 using Tapatalk

When are these difficult games coming?

Nearly drew at Man City

Should have beat Arsenal

Where are these teams we should be fearing?

Literally love this thread. Will become pure saintsweb gold.

427 (and counting) armchair pundits that don't know as much as they think they do... and who are basically just impatient and expect instant results straight away.

Edited by Saint86