Mauricio Pellegrino: In or Out?

Bad Wolf

Should He Stay or Should He Go?  

508 members have voted

1. 1. Should He Stay or Should He Go?

that is one of the most worrying aspects but I suppose if he has no intention of changing anything from his overly cautious approach then he has to say that.

Most noticeable for me is the pundits are starting to take the ****. Today on Sky Charlie Nicholas was asked if Saints looked any more threatening in the second half. His reply - “what with this manager ?”

That says it all for me.

Yes, I was watching too and was going to publish that. He clearly has a reputation already.

Allardyce’s feat in keeping Sunderland up is a big tick on his CV when you consider where they are now with much the same team.

This is such a dreadful situation. I'm all for a manager coming in to keep us safe but the entire foundation of our status will be wiped away. The forward march is over. It's sadly evident, and deflating.

This is such a dreadful situation. I'm all for a manager coming in to keep us safe but the entire foundation of our status will be wiped away. The forward march is over. It's sadly evident, and deflating.
Ah well. If that's the case then at least we had a really decent run and some fond memories (including Europe.) would have been good to win a cup though before any implosion.

Can't disagree with this . Kat played a blinder with this sale . Poor Gao got screwed . Les and Mopo need to go .

Sent from my SM-G925I using Tapatalk

Copying my post from another thread because I feel it's the player recruitment and not manager.

Just a bunch of **** poor transfer decisions since Koeman left. Love him or hate him, Koeman didn't give two ****s about the academy and only wanted to buy players that could have an immediate impact. He got his way and we got some quality like-for-like replacements for Lambert/Lallana/JRod with Pelle/Mane/Tadic in to complement our strong core. Then we sold our 2 best attackers and only physical CM and replaced them with 3 lightweight

2014/15 team: Forster, Clyne, Fonte, Alderweireld, Bertrand, Wanyama, Schneiderlin, Davis, Tadic, Pelle, Mane

2016/17 team: Forster, Cedric, Yoshida, VVD, Bertrand, Romeu, JWP, Davis, Tadic, Austin, Redmond

The board stopped buying players to win and started buying players with potential high resale value. The only reason Redmond was bought and plays so much is because he's young and English. The only reason Forster is still here, let alone got a f'ing contract extension is because he's English.

We bought Hojbjerg/Gabbiadini/Lemina/Hoedt not because they were good players in form but because they were at a decent club that no longer wanted/needed them. If they came good then $$$ resale value.

Gabbi turns 26 in a week and only has a TOTAL of 50 career league goals. He'd only started 7 matches in the 6 months before we bought him. The man he's replaced, Pelle, scored 50 in 57 games the 2 years before we bought him.

Hojbjerg was a bench player at Schalke with just 17 starts the season before we bought him.

Lemina was a bench player at Juventus with only 8 starts the season before we bought him.

McCarthy was a bench player at Palace with only 7 starts the season before we bought him.

Redmond was a bench player at relegated Norwich with only 24 starts the season before we bought him.

Hoedt was a bench player at Lazio with only 21 starts the season before we bought him.

We've filled our team with a bunch of other clubs rejects. Is it any surprise that so far only 1 of them (Lemina) looks good? What the hell did the board expect. When you think about the spending power the premier league has, we could easily outbid almost every other European team, and yet instead of buying quality in-form players we buy leftovers.

The reality is that there's no way we'll compete with other Premier League teams who are buying ready-made players when we're only buying players with potential. It reeks of arrogance.

We have a chance to fix things next summer if we stay up this year. Sell VVD + Bertrand for £80m+. Sell the fringe players in our bloated made-for-europe squad and buy QUALITY. £25m for a striker, £25m for an AM, £25m for a winger.

Out for me. Quite clear why and we don't need to go into it any more than everyone else already has.

However a little calmness is needed. The clubs not go this far over the last few years panicking and acting drastically. Questions need to be asked about recruitment but lets be really honest, Reed and Wilson and whoever else has been involved will be just as frustrated and baffled as we are. This wouldn't have been their plan. This wouldn't be the way they would have envisaged this manager playing. They'd have saw a coach last year with Alves who got fans and players on his side quickly and they'd have spoken to him about length about keeping those qualities but when it came to games they'd have been convinved that he could deliver what wasn't being delivered last season. They'll be discussing why it hasn't happened themselves and thinking of a plan to put it right. They'd also be as frustrated as we are with the quality in the squad not delivering. I do think we should have signed an attacking player and will fully expect them to put this right in January just as they did last January. However you can see their thinking behind the likes of Boufal and Redmond being young and improving and starting to deliver this season but it's not happening.

As I said, I personally want the manager to go but it's not quite as easy as that. We've got to be in a position to get someone else in (as I'm sure the last thing the mood on here needs here is Black in temporary charge)). Also if we did find somebody they still have the problem of the attackers not delivering.

Whilst it's easy to call for wholesale changes the beauty of the club over the last 5 years has been the stability and the well thought out decisions. Yes it's not worked recently but I'll back Reed and Wilson to put it right, they've earned that. Especially Reed. One more chance though and whilst for it starts with admitting defeat on this guy and getting an attacker in January, it's not something I think is quite as easy as that.

Kevin Keegan, Ryan Giggs or Sam Allardyce, anyone but f**king clueless Pellegrino.

Of the 3, I would go for Big Sam, he has the experience and I think he'll take the job if offered.

It says it all about how low we've sunk when anyone is calling for allardyce and not joking.

I think it was strange when MP came here that he didn't insist on having his own assistants , perhaps he was so inexperienced he didn't know you could do that or perhaps he didn't know anyone !!

Possible that all candidates got told they would have to work with the existing backroom (£ reasons) and MP was the only one who agreed.

I think it was strange when MP came here that he didn't insist on having his own assistants , perhaps he was so inexperienced he didn't know you could do that or perhaps he didn't know anyone !!

It think it was strange that you don't know he has two of his own backroom staff at the club that I would definitely describe as "his own assistants" and shows that perhaps he does know anyone. Perhaps you are so inexperienced at retaining simple information.

Possible that all candidates got told they would have to work with the existing backroom (£ reasons) and MP was the only one who agreed.

Possible that all candidates got told they could have two hand picked assistants and that's what he got because he has two hand picked assistants.

MP's been given a fair crack at it but neither results nor performances have improved (despite a kind fixture list the first couple of months of the season). His reluctance to change tactics/formation despite the fact we can't score and can't win is mind boggling. His comment a while back that you can't play two up front in the Premier League concerned me at the time. I'll be amazed if we're not in or around the relegation zone by the start of January. It's not all down to him, the board are very much culpable too, but he has to go now.

that is one of the most worrying aspects but I suppose if he has no intention of changing anything from his overly cautious approach then he has to say that.

Most noticeable for me is the pundits are starting to take the ****. Today on Sky Charlie Nicholas was asked if Saints looked any more threatening in the second half. His reply - “what with this manager ?”

That says it all for me.

Did Matt have anything to say?

Jenas and Neville slagged him off on MOTD2 a few weeks ago as well.

Normally ex-pro's are a bit more reserved. Reckon the whole game knows how poor he is. Don't think there will be much of a media backlash if he gets sacked.

Edited by Wade Garrett

A big OUT from me. I was very much in the Puel in camp.Yeah the football was a crap at the end. But we created plenty of chances we just spunked them all,brought through youth players ,got to a cup final beating prem opppsition all the way without concedeing a goal in which we the much better side .

Mope insistence on not playing our best finishers for our worst,not dropping Forster,Tadic or Redmond when everyone can clearly see they deserve it.Why not play McQueen et all they certainly won't do any worse.

I think when the fanbase is this united in wanting him gone it really just seems like delaying the inevitable if we don't get rid. The worst thing is we have shown zero signs of improvement and he doesn't think we are doing anything wrong.

why do you think MP is still in the job?

it is just weird if you ask me!

Les Reed can probably think of (£) 8 million reasons.

Just 6 months ago he had to give Puel (£) 6.4 million reasons

to think, we never wanted to give Koeman a pay rise!!!! now it will cost more when we get rid of MP and get another new manager

les reed is an utter arse-clown

why do you think MP is still in the job?

it is just weird if you ask me!

I can understand keeping him this long - the logic was to see us against a better team who would attack us to see if the style suited us better. Now we have shown we are equally useless against that style, those at the top must be preparing to get rid either this week or if we lose to Everton the week after. If it goes on any longer than that then I really will have no idea what the club are thinking.

It must be pretty gutting for the higher ups to see us lose our identity, all the Southampton way stuff and the things that made us exciting and interesting for neutrals in a season or two. Maybe we need another 5 year plan and demonstrate some vision, purpose and drive and give the club some direction because seemingly we have none at the moment. I wonder if it's anything to do with this takeover?

to think, we never wanted to give Koeman a pay rise!!!! now it will cost more when we get rid of MP and get another new manager

les reed is an utter arse-clown

Id get rid of Leslie before Pellegrino.

If you let les pick again you'll simply get another Puel /Pellegrino type.

Loser Les likes em submissive

With regret MPoe is clearly not good enough. However the root cause of the demise goes back to the departure of Paul Mitchell and the fact his replacement Ross Wilson is equally as hopeless as MPoe.He has failed to identify anyone player of true talent with the exception of VVD,who was arguably on the watchlist before Wilson was appointed. Mitchell was the guy with the Midas touch, who created the black box and who carefully carried out the assessment and due diligence 'process' as Reed would describe it.

A clear out is necessary, and we need to accept the time has come for a complete rebuild. Keep Kelvin Davis & the backroom staff engine but Manager , coaches and Ross Wilson need to be moved on. Time to steady the ship, supporters need to reset expectations. Perhaps Adkins or Pardew, an attempt to re sign Mitchell after he was bullied out of Spurs. I predict a slippery slope similar to the post Strachan era. A revolution not evolution. COYR.

With regret MPoe is clearly not good enough. However the root cause of the demise goes back to the departure of Paul Mitchell and the fact his replacement Ross Wilson is equally as hopeless as MPoe.He has failed to identify anyone player of true talent with the exception of VVD,who was arguably on the watchlist before Wilson was appointed. Mitchell was the guy with the Midas touch, who created the black box and who carefully carried out the assessment and due diligence 'process' as Reed would describe it.

A clear out is necessary, and we need to accept the time has come for a complete rebuild. Keep Kelvin Davis & the backroom staff engine but Manager , coaches and Ross Wilson need to be moved on. Time to steady the ship, supporters need to reset expectations. Perhaps Adkins or Pardew, an attempt to re sign Mitchell after he was bullied out of Spurs. I predict a slippery slope similar to the post Strachan era. A revolution not evolution. COYR.

Black has to go

So many of you keep saying a clear out is needed but who has the experience to bring in the right people?

Mr Gao knowledge in football is zero so you can rule him out for starters.

This is a good point and highlights the key role Reed plays. We need to be grooming a successor for Uncle Les as part of any rebuild.

Normally ex-pro's are a bit more reserved. Reckon the whole game knows how poor he is. Don't think there will be much of a media backlash if he gets sacked.

Didnt hear him after the match but before the game Jeff asked him about the decision to bring JWP on for Boufal in the 89th minute against Burnley. Matt said his substitutions, not just his but Puel's before him, were puzzling and didnt show any signs of going for a win especially at home.

He didnt seem very keen to defend MP which probably tells you all you need to know about his feelings.

Didnt hear him after the match but before the game Jeff asked him about the decision to bring JWP on for Boufal in the 89th minute against Burnley. Matt said his substitutions, not just his but Puel's before him, were puzzling and didnt show any signs of going for a win especially at home.

He didnt seem very keen to defend MP which probably tells you all you need to know about his feelings.

I'd sack Reed and the manager, then get Matt to recruit our next manager.

Sorry CB Fry but of all the things I have read about the Saints I don't remember hearing about his backroom staff even on here . I read a fair amount about Black and our GK coach though but no mentions of MPs mates !! Still thanks for updating me .

My memory still links to Chivers , Paine , Mcgrath etc .......

When the clown finally gets the sack I hope we have a manager who comes in straight away, preferably the same day. We don't want to commit football suicide and have Black as a temporary manager even for a day. He needs to go to.

Sorry CB Fry but of all the things I have read about the Saints I don't remember hearing about his backroom staff even on here . I read a fair amount about Black and our GK coach though but no mentions of MPs mates !! Still thanks for updating me .

My memory still links to Chivers , Paine , Mcgrath etc .......

What ever happened to Derek Reeves?

There seems to be an acceptance now throughout the pundit community that actually we are really rubbish ("permanantly pedestrian" is how one commentator described us yesterday). It's not just yesterday, we are tagged alongside West Brom for entertainment which is a sad indictment.

The opposition managers like to say we are a good old side now though...they like us this way as we are easy to beat and no threat going forward.

There seems to be an acceptance now throughout the pundit community that actually we are really rubbish ("permanantly pedestrian" is how one commentator described us yesterday). It's not just yesterday, we are tagged alongside West Brom for entertainment which is a sad indictment.

The opposition managers like to say we are a good old side now though...they like us this way as we are easy to beat and no threat going forward.

Klopp's post-match interview gave the impression he was playing Barcelona rather than a side that failed to get a shot on target for 90 minutes.

So many of you keep saying a clear out is needed but who has the experience to bring in the right people?

Mr Gao knowledge in football is zero so you can rule him out for starters.

The person who brought in the right people before, our former head of recruitment, Paul Mitchell, the ideal replacement for Old Les, who surely must retire now or be forced to.

If he is not gone by the next home game, we need to show our disapproval like the Spanish and wave a white hanky along with booing. Something on our part needs to be done...these muppets in charge are either blind or stupid...or worse both!

Calling for MoPe to go is fine, but some of the suggestions on here for his replacement are embarrassing. There is a reason why Strachan, Adkins (however much we love him), Pardew, etc aren’t managing top-flight teams.

Koeman would come here to prove he’s good enough to leave for something bigger and better, restarting another managerial change period. He also had some really poor spells with us, let’s not pretend he was perfect.

Dyche won’t leave Burnley for a club in such disrepair, when his stock is so high and Burnley are doing so well.

Therefore whoever we go for is unlikely to be any more assured of success than MoPe. Last year we wanted ‘anyone but Puel’ because it couldn’t possibly be worse.

Personally i think he will still be around for the home game against Everton and then sacked mid week after that game when we lose to them.

It has been the most horrible last 11 months of football with the most inept managerial appointments.

It really does beggar belief that this guy is still in charge when it is so clear the players are not playing for him.

For gods sake put us all out of our misery and get rid NOW!!