Mauricio Pellegrino: In or Out?

Bad Wolf

Should He Stay or Should He Go?  

508 members have voted

1. 1. Should He Stay or Should He Go?

Out but it would mean that we have a Director of Football who has lost one good manager (Pochettino), pushed another out (Koeman) and employed two no-hoppers as well as overseeing the decimation of a good squad. Doesn't he have to fall on his sword too?

He absolutely should. But he won’t.

Out but it would mean that we have a Director of Football who has lost one good manager (Pochettino), pushed another out (Koeman) and employed two no-hoppers as well as overseeing the decimation of a good squad. Doesn't he have to fall on his sword too?

good points. agree

the worry is Les only seems to look at the jobcentre for unemployed managers (thank god Moyes has a job!)

So who's in a job that we could go for ? Rodgers maybe?

We'll end up with either Black or someone we never heard of , unless the Gao family are going to impose upon Les that we need a finished article as a manager , no more risks , we need a manager who will stay doesn't need to be an ex player or links with the club

Lack of quality in the final third the problem not the managers (Puel and Pellegrino) in my opinion. Redmond, Gabbiadini, Long, Austin, Tadic and Boufal simply do not create or take chances. They are not good enough. Neither too are Hojbjerg and JWP leaving us having to play Davis as part of a two man central midfield, which despite is qualities he is not up to. Add in a keeper that has never been good enough and you have a tough tough job.

The problem with this argument is that every player on that list has proven at different times in their careers that they are capable of playing well and being good attackers. They have ability, it's up to the manager to motivate them and set the team up to take advantage of those abilities.

Get this idiot out NOW!!! and the coaching staff!!! They will not change a thing. We are heading for relegation fast if this lot stay a moment longer!!!

Saints do the right thing and get someone in tried and tested...no more gambles with unknowns.

For what it’s worth all the Puel lovers will no doubt have noticed he is starting to weave his magic on Leicester. They also didn’t have a shot on target today....ok it was Man City but they were at home.......just sayin :smug:

Marco Silva did really well against City too. Lost 6-0 at home.

Hope the black box is weeding out these mug managers that can’t even take down City

Brendan Rodgers would be my number one choice, but would he leave Celtic? They will probably have Europa League football.

Why the **** would Rodgers leave a Celtic for a relegation scrap with our shower of ****e. Would be one of the oddest career moves in the history of football.

Someone else said that. I don't disagree, but it's perhaps more troubling that our best performance was a home loss when not scoring. Yes it's Man Utd, but Huddersfield and Stoke gave them far better games.

I would like someone, anyone to tell me what the positives about MP are. Not just saying it's the players fault, we need this signing, that signing, it's completely irrelevant when he's getting so little out of the resources he has. What are the POSITIVES? What has he done well? What are we taking hope from and what signs are there it's going to improve????

Anyone? Genuinely want to know because I honestly can't think of anything whatsoever.

There is nothing.

And that is what is so bloody alarming.

Reed and Kat have done everything on the cheap for the last 2-3 years. You get what you pay for.

Will the Chinese chap take a different path? No sign of that yet.

No sign of anything whatsoever from the Chinese chap. Bit worrying really, would prefer at least a nuanced press statement that he's not happy with how it's going currently.

Out for me. Didn't expect us to do much this season but don't think its acceptable to be a few weeks off December and not know your best team or formation and be unable to impose a playing style or identity on a team.

What makes it even worse is his interviews indicate he actually seems to think it's going quite well and we've just been unlucky.

What makes it even worse is his interviews indicate he actually seems to think it's going quite well and we've just been unlucky.

that is one of the most worrying aspects but I suppose if he has no intention of changing anything from his overly cautious approach then he has to say that.

Most noticeable for me is the pundits are starting to take the ****. Today on Sky Charlie Nicholas was asked if Saints looked any more threatening in the second half. His reply - “what with this manager ?”

That says it all for me.

He's somehow managed to make us worse than Puel's team despite having a longer preseason without lots of late returns because of the Euros, no Europe, no Cup run, both VVD and Gabbiadini available at the same time, Lemina and Hoedt and no needing to replace key players. He's not played attacking high pressing football and he's not blooded young players, which is two things that we presumably were after in a manager in the summer when bringing a new guy in.

Out.

I think part of the problem with Puel is that the players weren't right behind him from the outset, VVD most publicly. Ok, it's part of the managers job to put that right but I think he was let down by a few players. We are worse now as a result.

And they didn't believe in Puel also. The primadonnas are running the club. We need someone with a strong enough personality to kick some arse and get in charge.

True. And that's what forced a decent manager Luggy out. We all know what a disaster that led to. History is repeating itself.

Pulis will be available.:scared:

He'd keep us up.

He has to go as we are rapidly approaching half way and not a single think suggests improvement, yet there are a lot of signs of steadily getting worse. Bus squad is the 8th most expensive in the league - and there is definitely talent there. Nobody believes we can score anymore - fans and players. I don't believe a single player on the pitch today thought we would get anything out of the game when we went 1-0 down, I don't even think Liverpool played that well - they definitely had another gear. And not testing a poor defence and gk is unforgivable. Problem is who do we get in ?, and if we do find someone decent will they be forced to play this style and formation ? Will they have to work with Black and Watson ?. I think some on this board are in denial on a relegation battle - WBA will get rid of Puel and like us actually have some very good players (and willing to spend cash), Palace are improving and have Benteke to return, Everton will turn it around with that squad once they find a semi competent manager. The 3 who have come up look solid enough and all have good managers. So that leaves Swansea who look as poor as us and West Ham who will buy their way out of trouble as they got a free stadium. Worrying times

Really disappointed in how Pellegrino has turned out. I'm struggling to think of anyone capable of turning this around if he's sacked.

It's very similar to the downfall after Strachan.

Allardyce’s feat in keeping Sunderland up is a big tick on his CV when you consider where they are now with much the same team.

Reed and Kat have done everything on the cheap for the last 2-3 years. You get what you pay for.

Will the Chinese chap take a different path? No sign of that yet.

The answer to your question about the Chinese chap is probably no as rumour has it that he had to borrow the money to buy into the club.

Allardyce’s feat in keeping Sunderland up is a big tick on his CV when you consider where they are now with much the same team.
Look we are heading for relagation with this guy in charge. Dont want big sam , but would take Alan Pardew.......

reckon he could do a job for us in the situation we are in

Difficult to find any reason for him to stay, the results haven't been good and neither have the performances.

However - he's the Plan B for Puel who wasn't deemed good enough, there's got to be a decent Plan C. We can't afford to appoint someone even worse again.

Wouldn't want Koeman back, felt like he inherited a very decent squad and just managed to continue Pochetino's good work.

Really want a manager who's going to motivate and organise the team. Who can get the best out the players, and who's decent tactician. That certainly doesn't seem to be what we currently have and not sure who that would be.

Keegan was mentioned, could he do a job? He's been out of the game for while. I wouldn't mind Eddie Howe, hopefully sell the club to him in that he'd be getting greater resources and infrastructure than he does currently - plus he doesn't need to relocate.

Just hasn’t worked at all unfortunately. Struggling to find any positives under this manager. He’s got to go but I think he will hold out for a few more weeks. Just cannot see it turning around.

On the playing side, I thought Stephens was our best player in early games and he has not been seen for weeks, poor lad.

Lemina has been our best player since and he is a big miss. I think we need a bit of a clear out to be honest, too many below par for too long.

I looked at the squads from 7th down as I think the top 6 range from quite a bit better than the rest to a lot better than the rest. Most teams seem to have at least 3 or 4 reasonable players and then a lot of quite mediocre ones. Overall, ignoring the possible fact that we have the worst keeper in the whole of the professional setup I tend to agree with those who say our squad on an individual and position basis is one of the better ones. I also think we play some of the worst ‘football’ that anyone does in our league.

What I did was look not only at our fixtures until the end of the season but all the other teams and I think this league is starting to shape up like la Liga or the other leagues in that the mass of the teams down the bottom will scrap it out with each other and there will be quite a lot of teams on a very low points total. I wouldn’t be surprised if there was a low total e.g. 35 perhaps a couple fewer points required to stay up. That said, I believe we will struggle a great deal to avoid relegation. Remember this is a team that isn’t used to being in a relegation fight and doesn’t really have the team, mentality, management for it and doesn’t have any ‘scrappers’. Playing ‘pretty’ (it isn’t, but ….) football isn’t what you want in those circumstances.

One thing that stood out was some analysis from Charlie Nicholas. He said that when Austin came on for 2 or 3 minutes it looked like the change would have some effect but then MP waved Long out to go on the right and it was a case of ‘same old’. Now we all know that Long is in many ways ineffective, but is at his best when played through the middle and isn’t especially good when played down the wing. So why play him in a position where he’s not going to do any good?

Another thing Nicholas said was what we’ve all seen. Saints simply continue to play the way they’re coached, Nicholas said as though we were playing in a training game. He then made the point that when the game changes so too must the team to take into account what has happened, but Saints don’t. That to me suggests the manager shouldn’t have a job because no manager should ever be unable to recognise the fluid nature of the game and that things have to adapt to what happens because it’s not a ****ing computer simulation.

Difficult to find any reason for him to stay, the results haven't been good and neither have the performances.

However - he's the Plan B for Puel who wasn't deemed good enough, there's got to be a decent Plan C. We can't afford to appoint someone even worse again.

Wouldn't want Koeman back, felt like he inherited a very decent squad and just managed to continue Pochetino's good work.

Really want a manager who's going to motivate and organise the team. Who can get the best out the players, and who's decent tactician. That certainly doesn't seem to be what we currently have and not sure who that would be.

Keegan was mentioned, could he do a job? He's been out of the game for while. I wouldn't mind Eddie Howe, hopefully sell the club to him in that he'd be getting greater resources and infrastructure than he does currently - plus he doesn't need to relocate.

He didn’t inherit a good squad at all he put one together

Out unfortunately. He was completely the wrong fit from the start. I said when he was linked that he seemed to be exactly the same as Puel in terms of style and I stand by that.

Who do we get in though? Unlikely to go for someone currently employed, and this time Les won't have several weeks to **** around. Worrying.

Out from me but can’t help feeling the problem lies further up the food chain.

This.

It's difficult as fans to know what to think. Is it the directors of the club dictating to managers to play this style? How can we have two managers so similar, when the style of the first was dismissed? Is it actually the players? If it's the directors or the players. changing the manager won't improve the situation.

That doesn't mean I want to keep him, but just like Brexit, we need to know what the alternative is, to make an informed decision.

If the job became available there would be a list of applicants as long as your arm.

Yes, but would they be high quality applicants, or just failed FL2 has beens? I don't want to name names, that would be libellous. Let's go for qualities they need to have - intention to play attacking football, an ability to change style mid-game if current style being nullified, able to command respect of players, a manager with experience at top level or a proven up-and-coming Championship manager etc