Les Reed poll: In or Out

saint1977

A tricky one for me. I think the general strategy of the club is sound, and he must be at least partly responsible for that. Even this season, the signing of Lemina has been an astute one. But I worry about his influence on the playing side of things - he talks about having the whole club playing a certain way at all age groups. But what way is that? Does he decide? Why is Les Reed the one to know the best way to play the game?

Then there's the appointment of managers and coaches. Do any of our players improve? How many promising young players are now not as young and not as promising?

Our lack of pace in the first team is killing us, but it feels like pace is not something the club value at all. It's all about technique. Does that ring true for our signings too? Is that why we didn't find an alternative to Redmond or Tadic? Because attacking with speed is not part of Les Reed's checklist of how football should be played?

I certainly don’t trust him to get the next managerial selection right.

Absolutely this. It could easily be Black as caretaker (certain relegation) or some other cheap, unemployed gamble from the Continent. We need someone with the experience to get us out of this mess.

Transfer window was a not a disaster. We kept everyone and signed Hoedt and Lemina. I'd call that a fcking incredible window given previous ones. The big difference it we don't have a manager capable of making a team from it.

Bring no forwards in last summer after our barren run at the end of last season was a serious lack of judgement on his part. It wasn't an incredible window by any means. We signed good players in the wrong positions.

The whole foundation of the club is based on everything that Cortese started - Reed carried it on for a bit with some success - and I think he has become complacent and delusional about his success - I think that the whole competitive environment has now changed and there are now many many more clubs following our model. We now dont have that advantage (everyone has a black box etc) that means its so much harder to find the next Mane and the next Pochettino. If we are following the stats and history of all managers then there is no excuse for signing Puel or MoPo as they have always played that way and I think its Reeds arrogance that he thinks he can change their style but still get the yes man he wants.

I think we should be careful what we wish for and wouldnt get rid of him without a suitable replacement as I dont think there are that many - however he should at least be told in no uncertain terms that his position is under review

Out, bad decisions on squad ratings and thinking he is a hero after not selling Van Dijk after years of telling us no one is leaving.

Didn't offer Koeman the money he wanted with the transfer budget he wanted, I fully belive Koeman if demands were met he would of had us top 6 again last season, which i am led to believe was matching wages EFC were offering along with keeping players and 50-60 million on players.

Transfer window was a not a disaster. We kept everyone and signed Hoedt and Lemina. I'd call that a fcking incredible window given previous ones. The big difference it we don't have a manager capable of making a team from it.

Agree to an extent but unfortunately the manager was also brought in during that "incredible window"!

I vote for several others, not just him, to be "let go" as well.

Now for just a couple of random questions/thoughts from stupid old me.

If you were in a well paid cushy job and nearing retirement age would you resign just because a small group on a fans website said you should? ( I wouldn't )

What do you think that he is telling the owners as to the reasons for Saints very poor performances? ( I have no idea )

Does anyone think that the owners actually care about this whole situation? ( I am not that convinced that they do any more as their public silence is deafening)

If you owned a poorly performing business would you act now or wait until it was past the stage of being too late? ( I acted fast in the past in a business I owned )

Puel doing well with Leicester would be a potential nail in Reeds coffin.

However a quick look at the Leicester forum and seems a bit deja vu earlier on.

Some posts after todays defeat

Boredom

Boring, nothing manager imo. Can't see him forming any sort of connection with the club in any way.

Today he brought sleep.

Puel doing well with Leicester would be a potential nail in Reeds coffin.

However a quick look at the Leicester forum and seems a bit deja vu earlier on.

Some posts after todays defeat

You strike me as the type that moves his golf ball to get a better lie.

Cherrypicking after today's result aside, think it's a pretty positive thread on the whole, pal.

Out - but Wilson, Watson, Black, Pellegrino and a few others need to follow him.

Problem is he is running the club so who is going to sack him - and worst of all he believes his own hype!

We need another Cortese to appear from nowhere and turn the club around.

Be careful what you wish for. There is a lot of good Reedo has done in terms of the structure of the club.

The biggest problem IMO is the constraints placed on Managers which stops the more established from being interested. After we finished 6th we surely could have attracted better than Puel - they all want to manage in the PL of course.

Koeman was good because he was a big, dominant character who united fans and at least initially had the respect of the players. He rubbed Reed up the wrong way at times but maybe that sort of honesty is what we need, not just yes men grateful for the chance.

When Koeman was slated for saying our young players weren't good enough....he was spot on.

Be careful what you wish for. There is a lot of good Reedo has done in terms of the structure of the club.

The biggest problem IMO is the constraints placed on Managers which stops the more established from being interested. After we finished 6th we surely could have attracted better than Puel - they all want to manage in the PL of course.

Koeman was good because he was a big, dominant character who united fans and at least initially had the respect of the players. He rubbed Reed up the wrong way at times but maybe that sort of honesty is what we need, not just yes men grateful for the chance.

When Koeman was slated for saying our young players weren't good enough....he was spot on.

imho it was Cortese who laid the ground for our success, not Reed. Marcus had total faith in him and had the great man still been alive I suggest that NC would still be running the club.

I recall the media piece a few years back, where the club checked on players sleeping habits, how they made sure that they took their own chefs , and even mattresses to away games to make the players feel relaxed, has that stopped now?

the thought was , even if it made a couple of % difference it was important.

If it was his choice to change strategy and only recruit players based on resale potential then out. If it's the boards decision then not his fault. Buying a bunch of 20-24 year olds that were all getting limited game time at their last club is a recipe for disaster. Whoever made that decision: out.