Don't Sack The Manager

Andy Durman

We have an excellent squad of players. Good enough to finish in the top 10.

We have an excellent man manager, coach and all round decent guy in Pellegrino. An honest and genuine man.

Where we are going wrong is tactically and maximising our assets.

We have brought in an inexperienced man, who needs time, but more importantly needs the people around him who can help him in the probation period.

This is where we have gone wrong.

Sammy Lee was vitally important to Koeman.

All season he has been playing out of form players, forster, redmond, tadic, long etc. And he has been playing the same system which clearly isn't working and he has shown he is unwilling to change it because like puel he is to stubborn. Starting long yesterday who hasn't scored for 9 months, and leaving the two most likely players who will get a goal for us in gabbi and austin on the bench was a horrific decision, I'll give him one more game to try and sort it out, but if we lose to Everton he has to go

I have seen no evidence of Pellegrino being a good man manager or coach. Our players are all performing worse than they were last year and most seem to have a sulk on.

There's not enough leadership or backbone in the squad and a lot of moaning C-units. We need either someone with a strong character to drive them on, motivate them, and instill some sense of belief in the team, or an appointment that makes the home fans feel enthusiastic to lift the team at home. MP seems like a nice guy but also appears to lack any of these qualities and also seems tactically inept.

We have an excellent man manager, coach and all round decent guy in Pellegrino. An honest and genuine man.

We have brought in an inexperienced man, who needs time, but more importantly needs the people around him who can help him in the probation period.

We have a decent squad of players - NOT excellent

We have seen no signs of excellent man management and certainly not excellent coaching - hes too cautious and we arent even any good at that.

If we are going wrong tactically that is the fault of ? The tea lady ? The stewards ? Nope - the manager and his coaching staff

Who are the people around who can help and why havent they started yet - are they in denial at whats happening ?

I’m sorry but any manager that thinks we played with “good energy” at any point during that dross yesterday or uses the fact that we played well for 25 minutes of a home game against Burnley that we ended up losing is anything but an “excellent coach”.

Do you still chat to Les in the car park? How are you getting on with your badges pal?

So Eric Black is the problem, yes?

1. The tactics and maximising assets is the main part of the manager’s job ffs.

2. How has Pellegrino demonstrated in any way, shape or form that he is a good man manager and coach?

Delusional.

Yeah agree. The original post is laughable. We need a change of manager, quite clear that.

It frustrates me that when things go wrong we immediately ask for the head of the manager.

We’re told about how it’s a team effort and that everyone is works together.

In my opinion something has gone wrong with the ‘Southampton Way’.

Think you've fallen for the spin. The Southampton Way is mythical, fan friendly PR.

Keep the manager are you having a ducking Turkish bath son?

He is like a Argentine Steve Wigley.... How could we get rid of a manager who had a busier schedule with European footy..... Who still managed to finishing 8th and a cup semi final with this grade A asshat........

Call me a negative Nancy I'd prefer the term a realist... Promise of attacking pressing football?

Sorry Lesley I get more excitement from watching deadenders than this bollards being served up..... Get rid pronto.i

If he's on a 'probationary period' does that mean we can get rid of him for nothing?

He makes Branfoot look good.

Ridiculous comment !!

Citing Branfoot is the football equivalent of citing Hitler in a political debate. Completely over the top.

He’s undoubtedly been disappointing thus far but nowhere near the nightmare that was Ian Branfoot.

The hyperbole on Saintsweb gets ridiculous at times (pretty much always actually)

Ridiculous comment !!

Citing Branfoot is the football equivalent of citing Hitler in a political debate. Completely over the top.

He’s undoubtedly been disappointing thus far but nowhere near the nightmare that was Ian Branfoot.

The hyperbole on Saintsweb gets ridiculous at times (pretty much always actually)

how many people have compared him to Branfoot? you make out it is the whole of saintsweb

Think you've fallen for the spin. The Southampton Way is mythical, fan friendly PR.

Maybe now but there was a time when it was considerably more than spin.

Sadly, we seem to have lost our way somewhat (which I think was Andy’s point) and the Southampton Way seems to have been adopted and become the Tottenham Way (wonder why)

Confidence in sport is massive. We deserved to at least draw, arguably beat United at home. Battered them second half. The effect a result like that would have had would have been huge for players, manager and fans.

I don't believe the answer is getting rid of the manager yet. Maybe putting feelers out, but he's respected around the club and deserves 5-6 more games. Back to back wins (with decent performances) still changes the whole picture at the moment.

The problem we now have is that you can count the players in our squad who are happy and playing decently on probably 2 fingers. The others are either:

a) unhappy because not getting as much game time as they'd like - WH, MY, JWP, SB, CA,

b) horribly out of form - FF, SL, DT, NR, MG

c) have their eyes elsewhere - VVD, RB

The VVD situation has definitely backfired. Admire the club for making a stand in the summer, but it's cutting off your nose to spite your face as we were left with a very influential presence in the dressing room who has basically been sulking for 6 months and phoning in his performances (on a dodgy line).

Add 2 other big characters with negative vibes - Berty (one more big move?) and Charlie (not getting picked) into that picture and you start to have 3 potential leaders all not really give a toss.

A further factor at the weekend was undoubtedly the national disappointments faced by 3 regulars in Davo, Gabby and Shane and you start to build a picture of negativity around the squad when you add in the others who are not getting a run in the side and seeing the ones who are underperforming.

Answers? VVD has to go in January. (we have Maya who is now a solid Prem CB, Wes and Stephens) I would offload Berty as well if we get a good offer (Play McQueen (more dynamic) with Targett as a solid back-up) and probably offload Charlie somewhere as well.

How bad is McCarthy not to get a chance in goal? I don't know the answer but it's time we got a chance to see.

Positives: Lemina looks a proper player, the players with national hangovers will shake those off and go again, we have a good base of reliable performers in Oriol, Maya, Cedric, Davo. Boufal has to be given a run but instead of Tadic, therfore giving him more freedom. Get Pwosey in for a run instead of Tadic - if this isn't Prowsey's breakthrough season to being an established Prem player when will it ever be?

So, my team would look like:

AM, CS, MY, WH, SMc, OR, ML, SD, JWP, SB, MG

And there's no doubt we need to add another striking option in January.

I reserve the right to throw all my toys out of the pram and join Project Meltdown if we lose to Everton at home.

MoPe does not have such courage to make such changes. This is the reason why he has to be sacked as soon as possible. If Pulis has been sacked already, we need to act more quickly as we may be looking for the same managers.

Does make you think that some managers want to be sacked so they get great pay offs?

What is so perplexing about football is that the manager always gets the blame yet we quite clearly have a club situation where he has had to work with coaches and fitness coaches he didn’t bring in to help him implement his ideas (Black and Watson) - Poch and Koeman had control of these appointments - and a structure where he has little say in what players we sign. These two things are surely going to have a degree of impact on his ability to do the job to the best of his abilities.

I wasn't at Anfield on Saturday but I have been deeply worried by the reports that not only were we soundly beaten but we gave up. A defeat I can take but giving up is a disgrace. However inexperienced Pellegrino maybe letting the players give up is an utter no no and finally proved to me he is not fit for purpose. The players too need to be cleansed, the likes of Tadic and Redmond have been going through the motions recently and yet the manager you seem to rate let's them get away with it week in week out.

All season he has been playing out of form players, forster, redmond, tadic, long etc. And he has been playing the same system which clearly isn't working and he has shown he is unwilling to change it because like puel he is to stubborn. Starting long yesterday who hasn't scored for 9 months, and leaving the two most likely players who will get a goal for us in gabbi and austin on the bench was a horrific decision, I'll give him one more game to try and sort it out, but if we lose to Everton he has to go

Interresting reasoning, stubborn or being told what is and isn't acceptable?

What is so perplexing about football is that the manager always gets the blame yet we quite clearly have a club situation where he has had to work with coaches and fitness coaches he didn’t bring in to help him implement his ideas (Black and Watson) - Poch and Koeman had control of these appointments - and a structure where he has little say in what players we sign. These two things are surely going to have a degree of impact on his ability to do the job to the best of his abilities.

Exactly.

We have a decent squad of players - NOT excellent

We have seen no signs of excellent man management and certainly not excellent coaching - hes too cautious and we arent even any good at that.

If we are going wrong tactically that is the fault of ? The tea lady ? The stewards ? Nope - the manager and his coaching staff

Who are the people around who can help and why havent they started yet - are they in denial at whats happening ?

Our squad is not good enough and has not been so since we sold off the best players. Redmond for Mane being an example. The real problem is Les and his team. I don't see our new owner wanting his investment devalued with relegation. I expect big changes and soon.

Confidence in sport is massive. We deserved to at least draw, arguably beat United at home. Battered them second half. The effect a result like that would have had would have been huge for players, manager and fans.

I don't believe the answer is getting rid of the manager yet. Maybe putting feelers out, but he's respected around the club and deserves 5-6 more games. Back to back wins (with decent performances) still changes the whole picture at the moment.

The problem we now have is that you can count the players in our squad who are happy and playing decently on probably 2 fingers. The others are either:

a) unhappy because not getting as much game time as they'd like - WH, MY, JWP, SB, CA,

b) horribly out of form - FF, SL, DT, NR, MG

c) have their eyes elsewhere - VVD, RB

The VVD situation has definitely backfired. Admire the club for making a stand in the summer, but it's cutting off your nose to spite your face as we were left with a very influential presence in the dressing room who has basically been sulking for 6 months and phoning in his performances (on a dodgy line).

Add 2 other big characters with negative vibes - Berty (one more big move?) and Charlie (not getting picked) into that picture and you start to have 3 potential leaders all not really give a toss.

A further factor at the weekend was undoubtedly the national disappointments faced by 3 regulars in Davo, Gabby and Shane and you start to build a picture of negativity around the squad when you add in the others who are not getting a run in the side and seeing the ones who are underperforming.

Answers? VVD has to go in January. (we have Maya who is now a solid Prem CB, Wes and Stephens) I would offload Berty as well if we get a good offer (Play McQueen (more dynamic) with Targett as a solid back-up) and probably offload Charlie somewhere as well.

How bad is McCarthy not to get a chance in goal? I don't know the answer but it's time we got a chance to see.

Positives: Lemina looks a proper player, the players with national hangovers will shake those off and go again, we have a good base of reliable performers in Oriol, Maya, Cedric, Davo. Boufal has to be given a run but instead of Tadic, therfore giving him more freedom. Get Pwosey in for a run instead of Tadic - if this isn't Prowsey's breakthrough season to being an established Prem player when will it ever be?

So, my team would look like:

AM, CS, MY, WH, SMc, OR, ML, SD, JWP, SB, MG

And there's no doubt we need to add another striking option in January.

I reserve the right to throw all my toys out of the pram and join Project Meltdown if we lose to Everton at home.

A good analysis which I mostly agree with.

Our squad is not good enough and has not been so since we sold off the best players. Redmond for Mane being an example. The real problem is Les and his team. I don't see our new owner wanting his investment devalued with relegation. I expect big changes and soon.

Not good enough or underperforming and if underperforming why? Fitness? tactics? management?

I don’t buy into sack the manager. I think it’s a team problem. If the manager has lost the changing room then I agree sack the manager, but I don’t think he has. Reed, Black and Watson, along with others are also accountable.

As for ‘The Southampton Way’ i’m not sure what that means at the moment. It seems muddled.

Alaves.

Indont know the full facts but I seem to recall that they were the second lowest scorers in La Ligament last season.

They finished, what eight or something but similarly like us, they were just as close to the bottom three.

Thebquestion is not why we got rid of CP, but why we employed this guy to do the same job?