Back down to the Championship......

saints1988

where has the core support gone then?

also, the championship was dog shyt when we got relegated from it

Premier league is currently dog shyt don't let Sky Sports and the media tell you otherwise.

Our support is woeful currently,has been brought up on here a number of times especially at home.

And yeah when we where relegated our support was better then this, full of day trippers

Premier league is currently dog shyt don't let Sky Sports and the media tell you otherwise.

Our support is woeful currently,has been brought up on here a number of times especially at home.

And yeah when we where relegated our support was better then this, full of day trippers

would it not be better to go back down to league 1. get the real hardocre fans going and that will be it?

I'm not bothered anymore getting to the PL was more fun than being in it anyway.

I think the big difference between the lower leagues and the PL is you feel your club has somewhere to aim for that is more realistic than the Champions League. Especially as the best clubs, from the season before, have moved to a, different league the PL (the odd upset aside) is a closed shop were success for most teams is a top half finish and the last Europa league spot it gets old after a couple of seasons.

the prem is boring and over hyped, but every season the championship was ****, except the one when we got promoted

and why do people keep saying prices would be cheaper? where is the evidence of that? season tickets never reduced last time we were relegated

Its not though is it.

Championship for me is the best league in England

So go support a team that plays in it. Its not the PL that is the problem, its Saints, and specifically our management team (Reed, Watson, Black, Pellegrino, Krueger) and some of our players (Tadic, Forster, Redmond etc). Apart from one season when we were promoted being in the Championship was ****.

The only reason to be in the Pl is to qualify for Europe, so okay, it is not going to happen this season but given 6 and usually 7th place are up for grabs for just about anyone, we always have a chance (if we had the right manager and players playing).

I loved Europe and that is why we should prioritise cup comps, especially the League Cup.

So go support a team that plays in it. Its not the PL that is the problem, its Saints, and specifically our management team (Reed, Watson, Black, Pellegrino, Krueger) and some of our players (Tadic, Forster, Redmond etc). Apart from one season when we were promoted being in the Championship was ****.

Burley season was enjoyable.

And the PL is not a problem? pull your head out

People have short memories.The seasons after getting relegated from the Prem weren't as good as we make out to be. We had one good season (whereby we finished 6th - lost of pens in playoff semis)... The following seasons of bankruptcy threats & just surviving from the championship weren't great & pretty depressing really...

The two years where we got promoted from league 1 to the prem where fantastic - but also rare. Getting out the championship is horrid - best to be avoided IMO

the prem is boring and over hyped, but every season the championship was ****, except the one when we got promoted

and why do people keep saying prices would be cheaper? where is the evidence of that? season tickets never reduced last time we were relegated

Simples. Even if the ST prices stayed the same stay the price per game is cheaper because you get more games in the championship than the PL.

People have short memories.The seasons after getting relegated from the Prem weren't as good as we make out to be. We had one good season (whereby we finished 6th - lost of pens in playoff semis)... The following seasons of bankruptcy threats & just surviving from the championship weren't great & pretty depressing really...

The two years where we got promoted from league 1 to the prem where fantastic - but also rare. Getting out the championship is horrid - best to be avoided IMO

Yep exactly... if we go down it wouldn't surprise me if we done a Sunderland, Villa or Hull. I wouldn't bet on us coming straight back up.

Yep exactly... if we go down it wouldn't surprise me if we done a Sunderland, Villa or Hull. I wouldn't bet on us coming straight back up.

It really depends on the owner. Coming down from the PL gives you big financial muscle in the championship. If you use that correctly and have a decent club infrastructure in place (as saints should do) you should be going straight back up like Newcastle did who actually are stronger now than before relegation.

Those teams who struggle after relegation (like Villa and Sunderland) have been a mess behind the scenes for years with seasons of mis-management at all levels. I don't see saints in that bracket.

It really depends on the owner. Coming down from the PL gives you big financial muscle in the championship. If you use that correctly and have a decent club infrastructure in place (as saints should do) you should be going straight back up like Newcastle did who actually are stronger now than before relegation.

Those teams who struggle after relegation (like Villa and Sunderland) have been a mess behind the scenes for years with seasons of mis-management at all levels. I don't see saints in that bracket.

You think Mike Ashley isn't a mess behind the scenes?

I'm confused.

The PL is crap, yeah? Noncompetitive, boring etc....

So the idea of going to The Championship is so we can win more games and have a chance of winning something.

So we win The Championship and?

I think you'll find we'll come second. :?

So is the plan to get relegated, then win lot s of games but only just enough to finish 7th so we don't get promoted to the premier league. Then repeat?

I think it's to come 3rd by conceding a last minute goal costing us the title, then to lose to an offside goal or penalties in the play-off final every season for 10 years in a row. Until it becomes boring.

I'm fairly sure the plan is actually still to get into Europe every other year, I can only assume they're going big on the FA Cup this season.

Why?

All those long contracts we signed with players would have to be honoured or we sell. Disgruntled players wanting out. Less attractive for other player coming in. Less TV money. Not guaranteed to do well in that league so instead of "can't believe we lsot to Burnley", it'll be "Can't believe we lost to Barnsley".

Look at Leeds (never came back up), Wigan (League 1), Blackburn (League 1), Bolton, Sunderland, Birmingham, QPR (lower reaches of Championship), Norwich, Forest (never came back up), Derby, Villa.

Your username has 1988 in it, dunno if that is your birth year or when you started supporting Saints, if it is the latter then you may remember Luton Town and Oxford United. Where are they now?

No thanks.

Would it be a bad thing?

Get our core support back

Lower season ticket price

More competitive league

Saturday 3pm KO

What was your most enjoyable time as a fan these last few years?

Rising up the football league?

Or chasing the 40 point mark in the premiership?

This is just insane :mcinnes: :mcinnes: :mcinnes:

1) "Get our core support back "

Back? Where have they gone? If they are core support then surely they are going to every Premier League game already and haven't gone anywhere

2) "Lower season ticket price"

The price is lower because the standard of football is lower. If we went down it would be a disaster in terms of the quality of player we get to watch.

3) "More competitive league"

What on earth is that meant to mean? You want Saints in a lower league which is competitive so they can get promoted to a league you want them out of? Your logic is just flawed

4) "Saturday 3pm KO"

Does it really matter if it is Saturday at 3pm or Sunday at 4pm? It is just "tradition" for tradition sake. New things that become tradtions have to start somewhere, just as 3pm football in winter did (due to the advent of floodlights)

5) "What was your most enjoyable time as a fan these last few years? Rising up the football league? Or chasing the 40 point mark in the premiership?"

Odd you missed out four top 8 finishes in one of the world's best leagues. Finishes 6th in the Premier League is signicantly more of an achievement than 2nd in the Championship.

It's all relative wherever you are. If your team is on the up any league is good fun.

Our last season in the Championship was awesome - but then we did win it didn't we :).

Leeds (a) particularly sticks in the memory, KD was a brick wall that evening.

This is just insane :mcinnes: :mcinnes: :mcinnes:

2) "Lower season ticket price"

The price is lower because the standard of football is lower. If we went down it would be a disaster in terms of the quality of player we get to watch.

Utter rubbish. Fans are far more concerned in the quality of the match than individuals. Yes the individuals would be of a lesser standard than in the PL but it would be totally impossible to worsen the level of entertainment on offer at present. We have failed to score in 10 out of the last 14 home matches ffs!!!

Also fans like to see home grown players in the side and, while our Academy may not be turning our PL level players, the likes of Sims, Hesketh, Gallagher, Seager, Targett and McQueen would form the core of our team and Academy prospects like Olomola would get game time.

Finishing 8th in the PL may well be more of an achievement than 2nd in the Championship, but in terms of excitement generated for the fans it wasn't even close. I'm sure fans will be able to recall many moments from our promotion season 30 years in the future, long after any recollections of that amazing 8th in the PL year have been lost....

Utter rubbish. Fans are far more concerned in the quality of the match than individuals. Yes the individuals would be of a lesser standard than in the PL but it would be totally impossible to worsen the level of entertainment on offer at present. We have failed to score in 10 out of the last 14 home matches ffs!!!

Also fans like to see home grown players in the side and, while our Academy may not be turning our PL level players, the likes of Sims, Hesketh, Gallagher, Seager, Targett and McQueen would form the core of our team and Academy prospects like Olomola would get game time.

Finishing 8th in the PL may well be more of an achievement than 2nd in the Championship, but in terms of excitement generated for the fans it wasn't even close. I'm sure fans will be able to recall many moments from our promotion season 30 years in the future, long after any recollections of that amazing 8th in the PL year have been lost....

Speak for yourself. I'll remember reaching a Wembley final and the San Siro, the victories at Old Trafford/Anfield/Stamford Bridge/Arnhem, the Liverpool 3-2, Sunderland 8-0, Arsenal 4-0, just as well as any of the great days in the lower leagues.

The reason our support is "woeful" is because Leslie sold every fan favourite player and used PR connections to demonise them in the press. The result is a fanbase which expects all the players to leave us, and has very little connection to the team... we have no songs, we expect the players to leave us because we are told that is our place in the pyramid... and Leslie insists on playing snoozeball footy... Going to the championship and struggling there won't change any of this. All it would do is ensure we sell even more key players and have a poorer standard of football.

17th acceptable, ie money will still roal in worth minimum, of outlay.

18th buggers things up.

I have been consistent in arguing that this is the main aim of the club. 17th and upwards is success. The idea of us going for Europe etc is just to make the fans feel happy, it was never a realistic aim as it would cost too much.

Sky have ruined football. The Premiership is a ****ing joke. Completely unsustainable in the current form.