Pulis Sacked

Scully

Pulis may be Newportonian and a former classmate of my aunt, but he's also a dirty Skate... Not sure the Wales job would pay him enough tbh though previous "functional" coaches like Mark Hughes in the early 2000s were relatively successful (ie lost in playoff rather than finishing 5th in group).

Will be interesting to see where West Brom go from here - Stoke bottomed out for a while when Hughes tried to turn them into a football team for a while, it's not like most of their players have been signed for their creativity and flair.

I actually saw him play about 5 games at Staplewood...OMG he makes Jake Livermore look like Iniesta/Xavi.

If ever there was a player making a living on dad's name - he could shout well though and moan at others.

He was absolutely fantastic at sidestepping in an arc in front of the back 4 without ever influencing the ball or any opponent. Genuinely the worst professional player I've ever seen in a Saints shirt, at least Ali Dia had a shot in his half an hour.

Funny that Pulis "would at least keep us up" even though he's been fired from the WBA job presumably because they look like they're going down.

Also, which of our players fit a Pulis style? Clasie definitely won't be returning anytime soon!

I'd only want Pulis if Anthony comes back as well. Thing's haven't been the same since he left ;)

Funny that Pulis "would at least keep us up" even though he's been fired from the WBA job presumably because they look like they're going down.

Also, which of our players fit a Pulis style? Clasie definitely won't be returning anytime soon!

Pulis would be a terrible choice... at least BFS has at times played some decent attacking football.

So W.Brom sack Pulis, and place Megson in charge as caretaker, Everton sack Koeman and give Unsworth an extended run as caretaker whilst attempting to be publicly fleeced by Watford for the services of Silva, and Palace sack de Boer and get Roy Hodgson.

There’s a theme there: replacement options are limited and rather ****ty.

Why on earth would anyone want Pulis - we just beat West Brom! They were worse than us, and if our useless manager can get the better of them, we don't want him anywhere near us. Nor Big Sam either.

BFS > Pulis > Nigel Adkins

Pulis for Saints, anyone? At least, he'll keep us up.

Would he? He was sacked by WBA because it looked like he was taking the down.

Pulis football is horrific to watch and not remotely matching what Saints will want in a manager. He is all about results, if he isn't getting results and the football is dreadful then he wasn't going to have a good excuse to remain in a job.

BFS > Pulis > Nigel Adkins

Unpopular as his appointment would be, Allardyce would be an improvement over Pellegrino, who is dire and out of his depth.

Based upon his comments after pulling out of the running for Everton, he would have to be approached as a first choice and not as part of a pool of candidates, which is how Les seems to handle appointments. Based on those same comments he would also want a contract that is longer term than to the end of the present season.

Unfortunately there are not a lot of reasonable replacement options out there, unless Saints can pull a rabbit out of the proverbial hat.

It's funny how everyone talks about a lack of potential replacements. I can't name any because I only watch the Premier League, but Saints watch them and should know about the good coaches in the Championship and across Europe. We shouldn't be in the business of digging out the stale, old managers who get talked about for every job here.

John Percy has added some extra detail in his article:

Sam Allardyce, the former England manager, Ronald Koeman and Nigel Pearson are emerging as early contenders, while Alan Pardew is likely to be recommended by West Brom’s technical director Nick Hammond after the pair worked together at Reading. Links to Northern Ireland’s Michael O’Neill have been dismissed.

Source: http://www.telegraph.co.uk/football/2017/11/20/tony-pulis-sacked-west-brom-torrid-run-results/

What's the difference between Sunderland and West Brom really. Different league but same standard more or less.

Sunderland are currently bottom of the Championship. West Brom aren't even in the bottom 3 of the Premier League. When Saints finished 2nd in the Championship (22 places above where Sunderland are) they still failed to win more than 1 of their first 10 matches back in the Premier League. That's how different the standard is.

Hard to look past Nuno and Chris Wilder, but I don't watch enough to know whether either would fit us or would come. I highly doubt Wolves would feel obliged to let Nuno go.

Nuno wouldn't come here. Wolves' owners have cracked the problem of post-modern loyalty & have solved it by employing an agent who won't talk his players (or manager) into leaving!

Nuno wouldn't come here. Wolves' owners have cracked the problem of post-modern loyalty & have solved it by employing an agent who won't talk his players (or manager) into leaving!

You have to question what said agent is getting out of this deal though. That being said, as long as its above board, fair play to them as it seems to be working.