Saints v Everton Build-up

SuperSAINT

All things considered, this is a huge game.
Agree. A win gives a bit of a buffer to counteract our tough run.

A loss or draw puts us even more in the **** than we already are and would mean we will have to beat a top 6 side to avoid being in the bottom 3 at the end of December.

Annoying not to have Romeu. Abaolutely crucial Lemina is back otherwise we are screwed.

I no longer try to predict a scoreline with a mate now as we both keep winning with NIL.

Its now at the stage, what minute do we have our only shot on target?

How the mighty Saints have fallen.

Based on the Liverpool game no shots on target needs to be considered when making your predictions.

I think we should use the same formation with the same players again. Why screw up such a good thing?

I mean it’s bound to click eventually right?! Notwithstanding the fact it hasn’t worked for the best part of a season and a half...!

Agree. A win gives a bit of a buffer to counteract our tough run.

A loss or draw puts us even more in the **** than we already are and would mean we will have to beat a top 6 side to avoid being in the bottom 3 at the end of December.

Annoying not to have Romeu. Abaolutely crucial Lemina is back otherwise we are screwed.

Is Romeu suspended? Quite likely Lemina will still be out so we could have a Ward-Prowse / Davis / Hoiberg combo.

Everton have looked unorganised when I've seen them this season but they have started scoring goals, surely not another home game without us scoring? If that happens the Pellegrino out / Les Reed out / Chinese out chants will be deafening

I would make change s in personnel and formation for this. Would play a diamond midfield four with two strikers upfront,so...

McCarthy

Cedric, Yoshida, VVD, Bertrand

Lamina, Davis, JWP, Boufal

Gabbi, Austin

This formation would give us domination of the ball in midfield but would demand full backs get forward. Ironically it’s the formation Puel favoured in first half of last season

All things considered, this is a huge game.

This is a massive game, proper relegation 6 pointer. If we fail to win I expect it will be the end of Pellegrino.
This. It really is.

Next 7 matches, which is then the halfway point in the season:

Everton (h)

City (a)

Bournemouth (a)

Arsenal (h)

Leicester (h)

Chelsea (a)

Huddersfield (h)

Were are the 7 points in there to get to the mythical 20points halfway point? Where are they if we don't beat Everton? Huge match Saturday.

we need to get a minimum of 7 points in our next 7 matches, which is the halfway point.

This. It really is.

Next 7 matches, which is then the halfway point in the season:

Everton (h)

City (a)

Bournemouth (a)

Arsenal (h)

Leicester (h)

Chelsea (a)

Huddersfield (h)

Were are the 7 points in there to get to the mythical 20points halfway point? Where are they if we don't beat Everton? Huge match Saturday.

we need to get a minimum of 7 points in our next 7 matches, which is the halfway point.

may be the halfway point, but we play Spurs twice in last 19 games too, which i fully expect us to bottle and lose both, so another game that can be counted out...

don't see us reaching 40 pts but 37/38 may be good enough this year.

Is the season still going? FFS.

I foresee this being one of our "anomaly" games, where completely against the run of form we pull an excellent win out of the bag... and then I wake up and it's 0-0 or worse.

Any kind of win would paper over some serious cracks though. Up to 16 points would see us somewhere back in mid-table and Pellegrino would be keeping his job for another month. If people want Pellegrino out then a loss would at least have some kid of silver lining attached to it. Surely the powers that be can't keep him on after a loss from a poor Everton side... can they...?!?

Personally I'm going for a 0-0. I still wish we'd try with 3 at the back though. With the players we have we're perfectly suited to it.

4-3-1-2

GK: A Traffic Cone .. at least this orange cone won't drop any shots that come straight towards it, unlike the orange cone normally stood in front of the goal

RB: Cedric

CB: Hoedt

CB: Yoshida .. VVD needs to be binned

LB: Bertrand .. this guy needs to be binned too, but there's literally no other fit left back available

CM: Hojbjerg .. what's the worst that can happen? He'll pass the ball sideways just like Romeu, but probably won't give away free kicks on the edge of the box.

CM: Davis

CM: JWP .. assuming Lemina is still out, we'll need 3 in the middle against Everton's 25 central midfielders (Gueye, Davies, Schneiderlin, Sigurdsson, maybe they'll chuck Besic and McCarthy in too for the hell of it)

CAM: Boufal .. he has at least tried to do positive things occasionally

ST: Long .. let him press, let him run around a lot, let him make a nuisance of himself, but FOR THE LOVE OF GOD DON'T EVER LET HIM SHOOT!!

ST: Gabbiadini .. whoever plays in this position will catch a cold, and at least this guy is accustomed to the cold. I looked him up, he was born in some town called Calcinate in Italy where the maximum temperature is typically about 6 degrees this time of year - sounds well-equipped to deal with the weather, but please give him a mobile phone and a portable telly so that he can see what's going on in the match and speak to Long and Boufal whom, despite being the nearest Saints players to him, will nevertheless be sat in another postcode.

4-0 Southampton.

Personally I'm going for a 0-0. I still wish we'd try with 3 at the back though. With the players we have we're perfectly suited to it.

If you are including Hoedt in that 3 then we have to hope the Lazio fans were wrong in their suggestions that the main reason he couldn't regularly get into their side was that he struggled to adapt to their preferred 3 at the back. I recall reading on their forum when we were in the process of signing him that they felt he would be far more suited to the English game playing as one of a pair of CBs.

Lol just heard the club pushing the tickets for this game on the radio apparently it will be a "Great day out" ..... They'll have to be careful they don't get done for false advertising.

I've seen quite a few adverts in the echo for this as well, not surprising people would rather watch at home if at all.

Everton are bringing down the full 3309 allocation to boost the attendance a bit.

Lol just heard the club pushing the tickets for this game on the radio apparently it will be a "Great day out" ..... They'll have to be careful they don't get done for false advertising.

I agree it can be a great day out but it’s the 90 minutes in the middle that spoils it.

Looks like Niasse could be banned for simulation.

Everton: a team of firsts. First to install dugouts. First to have undersoil heating. First to attach a church to their stadium. First to have a player charged with simulation. Add it to their mighty list. They truly are pioneers.

He’s actually been a comparatively reliable source of goals for them, so they will miss him. Anyone know when the hearing is?

We really need a win here. This can be the turning point for MoPe - show us something, even if we draw yet the players give everything and there is some idea of where we are trying to get to - I'll happily give him more time. However any more fair served up so far will be the end if him. Sadly I think no matter what he tries to do now it will be down to player power - if they want him out there will be more half arsed fair. I'd like to see him be bold and drop anyone who isn't 'on the bus' - let's face it we have a bloated squad with few stars so if he's going out he needs to do it his way and make a point.