Saints v Everton Build-up

SuperSAINT

Hopefully interviewing a new manager/putting finishing touches on new striker deal.

Hope is all that is left.

Why don't you just hope Shane Long suddenly becomes a world beating striker and that JWP final comes good as the new Pirlo this weekend.....

Edited by doddisalegend

Fair enough, looks like Koeman did change things a bit, he certainly played 5across the back in the next game against Palace, but some reports show Bertrand playing MF against Everton. Anyway this is not the major turnaround most people remember, which was after the appalling run in December when Koeman was coming under serious pressure and he switched formation and stuck with it for several weeks. It also coincided with Forster's return. Ultimately Koeman saved Saints with his switch but fell out with Reed (Les) which lead to his departure.

What was it, 7 former (or current) u21's played in that match or something. Shame Koeman fell out with Reed/Tadic etc. Club has imploded since then.

Do you think, that if we win, this place will calm down a bit?

I certainly hope so!

Also, I think we will win. 2-0 to saints.

Yes, I did just predict an opposition team won't score against us.... :scared:

A *bit*. A little bit. Then we go to Man City three days later...

Do you think, that if we win, this place will calm down a bit?

I certainly hope so!

Also, I think we will win. 2-0 to saints.

Yes, I did just predict an opposition team won't score against us.... :scared:

Of course it will, but we'll see if it lasts.

Man City we can write off really, it's a free hit for us. Didn't Pellegrino's Alaves beat Barcelona last season? And we drew up there last season (Redmond goal!!) so who knows what will happen.

Man City we can write off really, it's a free hit for us. Didn't Pellegrino's Alaves beat Barcelona last season? And we drew up there last season (Redmond goal!!) so who knows what will happen.

Not if we get beat 6 nil

yeah that wont happen this time. They are playing much better than the city team that destroyed as SMS second half of last season.

I didn't watch all of the Fulham U23 match but what from what I did see, I thought PEHoj looked pretty good. Some decent tackling, a decent effort on target, some good tracking back. Think he should be given a chance. I remember everyone slagging of Morgan in his first few seasons and it took him a while to show his undoubted class for us. Think PEH is similar!

Mauricio Pellegrino, the complete coach who hates losing and frets when he wins

Oh the irony

https://www.theguardian.com/football/blog/2017/jun/24/mauricio-pellegrino-complete-coach-southampton-manager

Sent from my Moto G (4) using Tapatalk

Reading this should at least dispel the daft notion that he's clueless or 'out of his depth', but his belief in tight attacking organisation does smack of Van Gaal at United.

Edited by DuncanRG

Reading this should at least dispel the daft notion that he's clueless or 'out of his depth'.

That write up seems to suggest that he prefers a highly rigid formation with little space for creativity, strange that's the way we seem to be playing, isn't it?

Little space for flair players or those who take chances and drift from their positions to join the attack.

I didn't watch all of the Fulham U23 match but what from what I did see, I thought PEHoj looked pretty good. Some decent tackling, a decent effort on target, some good tracking back. Think he should be given a chance. I remember everyone slagging of Morgan in his first few seasons and it took him a while to show his undoubted class for us. Think PEH is similar!

I agree, I think there's a decent player in PEH waiting to come out, I hope we persist with him. I'd like to see him at some point alongside Romeu freeing Lemina up to play a further forward creative role (presuming no-one's tapped him up while out injured!).

That write up seems to suggest that he prefers a highly rigid formation with little space for creativity, strange that's the way we seem to be playing, isn't it?

Little space for flair players or those who take chances and drift from their positions to join the attack.

Indeed - just edited my post to reflect that. It may or may not make him a poor fit, but it doesn't make him an idiot.

Blimey, yes - a 'positional game' would seem a good, if generous, description of our tactics. A shame his interpretation of it seems to lead to a game without movement. Contrasts quite sharply with the Poch-era directive that the team should play from positions rather than in positions.

Reading this should at least dispel the daft notion that he's clueless or 'out of his depth', but his belief in tight attacking organisation does smack of Van Gaal at United.

I remember reading this article when he joined, was one of the reasons I was excited by his arrival. He's yet to demonstrate any of this great tactical nous though, nor does he appear to be getting the best out of the players from a motivational perspective. What positives have you seen from him/us so far?

(and that's a genuine question, not a sarcastic one)

I remember reading this article when he joined, was one of the reasons I was excited by his arrival. He's yet to demonstrate any of this great tactical nous though, nor does he appear to be getting the best out of the players from a motivational perspective. What positives have you seen from him/us so far?

(and that's a genuine question, not a sarcastic one)

Well, he is changing things up most games which shows he is trying to adapt. And he is clearly intelligent and analytical about the game. I honestly don't think he has the players to play how he wants and has found the premiership a steep learning curve which he has somewhat wasted on rigid tactics. The confidence has now drained from the team (and perhaps him as well), and he is going into a tough run of games.

I think (and hope) that if we stick with him, he will come good. It also annoys me that the fans are blaming the manager when at least he is mixing things up, when in reality all of us can see the glaring weaknesses in the team (that have not been addressed over yet another wasteful summer), and when the fans have lambasted plenty of previous managers for sticking religiously to just one lineup for loss after loss after loss.

I'd stick with MoPey so far, but I would expect an upturn in performances (if not results) by christmas. If that doesn't happen then i'll be worried.

I'd definitely put Hesketh on the bench, or even start him instead of either Redmond or Tadic. He can actually pass forwards without taking 7 touches. He is exactly what Gabbiadini or even long needs.

Indeed. I remember Sims playing in this game last season & was brilliant - Such a shame he's been injured.

Hesketh literally cannot possibly offer less than Tadic, currently.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]2566[/ATTACH] Massive club !

They've sold out well over 3,000 for the match down here on Sunday, despite being absolute sh*te (just like us) and live on national TV. One thing you can't knock them for is excellent travelling support. If the fixture was reversed this weekend and on the box we'd struggle for a thousand.

They've sold out well over 3,000 for the match down here on Sunday, despite being absolute sh*te (just like us) and live on national TV. One thing you can't knock them for is excellent travelling support. If the fixture was reversed this weekend and on the box we'd struggle for a thousand.

Does £20 a ticket make a difference? 2-0 down now.

Well, he is changing things up most games which shows he is trying to adapt. And he is clearly intelligent and analytical about the game. I honestly don't think he has the players to play how he wants and has found the premiership a steep learning curve which he has somewhat wasted on rigid tactics. The confidence has now drained from the team (and perhaps him as well), and he is going into a tough run of games.

I think (and hope) that if we stick with him, he will come good. It also annoys me that the fans are blaming the manager when at least he is mixing things up, when in reality all of us can see the glaring weaknesses in the team (that have not been addressed over yet another wasteful summer), and when the fans have lambasted plenty of previous managers for sticking religiously to just one lineup for loss after loss after loss.

I'd stick with MoPey so far, but I would expect an upturn in performances (if not results) by christmas. If that doesn't happen then i'll be worried.

That's fair. I guess my issue with him is that even though he is trying different things, it doesn't seem like he is identifying and changing the right things. The only time I noticed a change in style/purpose not just formation was the first 20 minutes of the Newcastle game, when we took everyone out the middle and looked to get round the outside instead. But again I didn't think it was executed particularly well, and it didn't take long for Benitez to change things and snuff out that threat.