Do the fans need a voice or even want a voice?

Fitzhugh Fella

I was reading in today’s press about how after being attacked in Seville by the local police the Liverpool fans were able to report back to the group that calls itself “the Spirit of Shankly”.

http://www.spiritofshankly.com/

It got me thinking that as Saints fans we have – to my knowledge – no such “organisation” to represent our views or protect our rights (such as they are, or ever can be) as supporters. Back in the day we had the old fashioned supporters clubs that started in the 30s that even financed the club buying players and then of course, in the Lowe era, we had all sorts of groups from SISA, London Saints, Cardiff Saints etc etc which provided a voice of sorts but were hardly truly representative and often partly driven by politics (SISA) or parochial ambition.

Then we got bought/saved by Marcus Liebherr and while we were relieved to get such a genuine and upstanding benefactor, we also lost any “right” to have any say whatsoever in the way the club was now run. The price you pay and all that. At the time no one was too bothered, we were on the up after all and life was good. The last 6 years have been very happy ones for Saints fans.

For the first time since the Liebherr takeover we now find ourselves unsure of our new owner’s motives, we find ourselves increasingly at odds with the Board who have appointed a manager who 85% of this Forum want removed after a dozen games. There is a definite sense that we may have peaked in terms of breaking into the top 6 and, as strange as it may seem after 4 pretty remarkable seasons, a sense that we are at some sort of crossroads. The stadium is full most games so, on the surface, all appears well but there appears to be quite a lot of discontent - whether it be on the concourse, down the pub, or on social media.

It’s just not to do with Saints either, a lot of fans seem equally disenchanted with football in general from the corruption/ineptitude of the governing bodies (FIFA and the FA), Sky TV, to the dodgy owners who only invest their often ill-gotten wealth to line their pockets.

I am not advocating anything like a “fan on the board” which most of us know would never work and have no personal interest in being involved in setting up anything myself, but was just wondering how others feel? Do we all quietly sit back and accept things as they are, feeling increasingly isolated from the club we grew up worshipping or do we organise ourselves into some sort of collective voice that could at least be heard on matters like bringing back safe standing areas, ticket prices, the club strip etc etc? At present our input as a fan base is negligible. I see darker times ahead as things stand, the club appears to have lost its way as well as losing its benevolent owner and the one thing that remains constant at a football club – the fans – are powerless to have any influence.

I am not looking to stir up a hornet’s nest, I have no agenda whatsoever other than a sense of frustration at current affairs and am just genuinely interested to find out if the average fan is happy with the way things are heading at SMS and whether people think anything can be done to make the fans feel more inclusive.

Edited by Fitzhugh Fella

As a fanbase we could definitely do more to link up with the FSF and similar organisations to campaign for broader reform, safe standing etc. It's a shame we're not particularly active there, but I feel the same inertia as everyone on that front.

As for Saints themselves, there are probably changes which could help in the long term to counter unforeseen issues, but I don't see how fan participation would help with any of our current problems, which are minor in the grand scheme of things. Fans don't know how to appoint a manager and it would be incredibly petulant to demand structural changes to the club because we've stopped being one of the best teams in the country.

It's worth noting that it seems, from the outside, that fan discontent played a factor in Puel's sacking.

Edited by DuncanRG

As a fanbase we could definitely do more to link up with the FSF and similar organisations to campaign for broader reform, safe standing etc. It's a shame we're not particularly active there, but I feel the same inertia as everyone on that front.

As for Saints themselves, there are probably changes which could help in the long term to counter unforeseen issues, but I don't see how fan participation would help with any of our current problems, which are minor in the grand scheme of things. Fans don't know how to appoint a manager and it would be incredibly petulant to demand structural changes to the club because we've stopped being one of the best teams in the country.

It's worth noting that it seems, from the outside, that fan discontent played a factor in Puel's sacking.

Your last sentence is interesting although the story goes Puel was given the chance to stay if he changed his tactics. My point really is not to have an influence over big matters like whether the manager stays or not but an input on things that directly effect us as fans.

If thats true why is that useless windsock still in goal, Tadic being picked and Redmond?

Why is Black still at the club or Watson?

Because a few fans shout on a noddy forum doesn't mean they will listen.

If thats true why is that useless windsock still in goal, Tadic being picked and Redmond?

Why is Black still at the club or Watson?

Because a few fans shout on a noddy forum doesn't mean they will listen.

I'm aware of that and very glad. All I said was that fan reaction/atmosphere in the ground may have contributed to Puel's sacking, not policy towards anyone else. I doubt most fans give a monkeys about Black and Watson, if they even know who they are.

My worry is the Club is losing its identity with the new Chinese owners.

When Markus Liebherr bought the Club from the start he had a true identity with the fans, alas, when he sadly passed away, Cortese took over and distanced himself from not only from the fans but the history of Southampton Football Club.

When Katharina came in she identified, like her father Markus, the identity with the fans (you will know this Fitz, as you have met her). That's why, I believe, she still wanted part ownership (20%) of the Club.

So what of Mr Gao?

He's attended the match against Man. Unt. What are his intentions? What are the futures of Ralph Krueger and Les Reed?

The fans will be the last to know.

Yes what we really need is a return to the days of multiple groups of saints fan full of their own self importance, they all went so well!

SISA bas probably the best but overtaken by ego and politics. the Ted Bates Statue trust is a prime example of how spectacularly badly things can go when fans get involved. However my biggest disappointment is we never got to hear the saints trust "roar" like we were promised. http://www.southampton.vitalfootball.co.uk/article.asp?a=12889

My worry is the Club is losing its identity with the new Chinese owners.

When Markus Liebherr bought the Club from the start he had a true identity with the fans, alas, when he sadly passed away, Cortese took over and distanced himself from not only from the fans but the history of Southampton Football Club.

When Katharina came in she identified, like her father Markus, the identity with the fans (you will know this Fitz, as you have met her). That's why, I believe, she still wanted part ownership (20%) of the Club.

So what of Mr Gao?

He's attended the match against Man. Unt. What are his intentions? What are the futures of Ralph Krueger and Les Reed?

The fans will be the last to know.

You are sounding a bit of a victim here...

Cortese was a winner and I would have him back in a flash...

Yes what we really need is a return to the days of multiple groups of saints fan full of their own self importance, they all went so well!

SISA bas probably the best but overtaken by ego and politics. the Ted Bates Statue trust is a prime example of how spectacularly badly things can go when fans get involved. However my biggest disappointment is we never got to hear the saints trust "roar" like we were promised. http://www.southampton.vitalfootball.co.uk/article.asp?a=12889

I think with your people and business skills, you'd make a great head of a fan group. You could even print out your own flyers pal.