Should VVD be sold in January?

Professor

Has looked a competent CB but is he still the £50m plus player people had come to think he was. Had we sold to Liverpool in the summer you have to wonder if he would be playing better. Could the problem motivation in a poorly performing team, despite him being reported as saying he's now committed to Saints? Problem for the club is that on one hand we have three other decent CBs, two full internationals and one under-21 international, so we could manage without him, but on the other hand, has VVD's value diminished to the point where he's no longer worth selling? I'm inclined to think the club will keep him in the hope that he will again hit the heights if the team around him begins to perform better. It would be shame to let him go for about £15m and then see his value escalate again.

Has looked a competent CB but is he still the £50m plus player people had come to think he was. Had we sold to Liverpool in the summer you have to wonder if he would be playing better. Could the problem motivation in a poorly performing team, despite him being reported as saying he's now committed to Saints? Problem for the club is that on one hand we have three other decent CBs, two full internationals and one under-21 international, so we could manage without him, but on the other hand, has VVD's value diminished to the point where he's no longer worth selling? I'm inclined to think the club will keep him in the hope that he will again hit the heights if the team around him begins to perform better. It would be shame to let him go for about £15m and then see his value escalate again.

Sell in the summer. Liverpool's need for a centre-back is unlikely to dissipate in the next few months.

Hoedt looks a good enough replacement to me and I don't think Stephens has done anything wrong to drop so far out of contention.

But not sure in January, not sure we can re-invest as well and we might be struggling and need of everyone we have.

I'd like to see us make signings in Jan, but either with money we already have or loans with a view to buy (someone like Walcott on that sort of deal might be worth it)

yes he should be sold as his hearts definitely not here but that's not the point, what was the point in us doing everything in our power to keep him here when he was being a complete diva if we were going to sell him in January anyway!

Keep him, love him and make him feel wanted. I thought he played well and totally dominated the defence.

However he looks lost, lonely, and struggling to find his place in the club.

His ego says I'm billy big ******** give me the big time and the cash. The reality has kicked in now, he has lost the fans, I'm guessing the players as well, and I bet potential suitors will laugh at a 60 million price tag.

He is one of the worlds best centre halves, I'd like to see him in red and white a while longer.

Forgive and move on life is too short.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

I watched him towards the end of his time with Celtic and he is exactly the same player now as he was then when he knew his future was elsewhere. He really just went through the motions towards the end of his time with Celtic and he's doing exactly the same now.

I hate feeling so negative about a Saints player but i have to say there are 3/4 players in the current squad that i wish was just **** off!

We had this when people realised Mane and Wanyama weren't going to stick around. People said Mane was lazy and half hearted, and look at the difference between his final season and what we are like now and tell me he wasn't contributing!

Van Dijk is playing fine, defence hasn't been our problem. If I was a top defender and was watching the players in front of me not pulling their weight I probably wouldn't be at my happiest either.

Hoedt looks a good enough replacement to me and I don't think Stephens has done anything wrong to drop so far out of contention.

But not sure in January, not sure we can re-invest as well and we might be struggling and need of everyone we have.

I'd like to see us make signings in Jan, but either with money we already have or loans with a view to buy (someone like Walcott on that sort of deal might be worth it)

This, I'm so frustrated by this decision. He looked very useful, especially in possession, looked to break lines. Reminded me of Virgil at times. Would've liked to have seen him play alongside VVD.

If indeed we are at last building momentum then we would not want to mess about too much with the present line up. If VVD was off in January what would have been the point of making him a regular starter in the team and especially forming a partnership with his fellow countryman, where his role is as a team member in his own right and as a mentor for the younger player. On Sunday it was very noticeable how Hoedt mimicked van Dyke in style especially striding forward with the ball trying to build attacks.

I suspect that the decision was made at the beginning of the season that VVD would stay for one more season which actually benefits the player as it gives him the chance to get back up to full speed without the full glare of the spotlight that would have been on him at a bigger club where patience is in short supply. Look what has happened to Morgan and don't say it couldn't have happened to Virgil because it could.

I want him to stay until the summer, he should stay and probably has already agreed to do so. Realistically very few 'big moves' happen in January so even historical precedent makes it unlikely.

We'll have to tackle Europe next season without him 'though.

This, I'm so frustrated by this decision. He looked very useful, especially in possession, looked to break lines. Reminded me of Virgil at times. Would've liked to have seen him play alongside VVD.

It's funny, I was reflecting on Austin's 2 goals & about how I hope he doesn't get injured again & it reminded me about how good a job Claude actually did after losing both VvD & Austin for the 2nd half of the season last season.

He just seemed to just casually put Stephens into the mix & he did so well for a young lad. (Who, lets be honest couldn't get into Boro's championship side!)

If it's a choice between Jan and next Summer, I choose Jan. Just get on with it, since we know it's going to happen anyway, so we can start building a team for the longer term.

As for who we sell to... whoever pays the most. I don't care, he won't be a Saints player at that point, so why would I?

Sell in January but not to Liverpool at any price, as punishment for their tapping up activities in the summer. If nobody but Liverpool come for him then sod it, we should keep him.

Genuine question: Next summer, if City came in with £60m & Liverpool with £80m - Who would you sell him to?

Wouldn't sell in January for these reasons:

1. It would have been largely pointless going through the whole fiasco of the summer just to sell after he has played about 15 more games.

2. Fees are likely to be higher in the summer.

3. We could still get relegated and VVD improves our team without question.

4. Its hard to find quality players in Jan to spend the money on.

5. I wouldn't trust the club to spend it well in January as proven by the utter cluster**** we made of the CB situation last year, resulting in us grovelling to Caceres who was a complete last resort.

Sell in the summer.