Should VVD be sold in January?

Professor

Players who look for a transfer should be sold. I don't think Saints would get more than £14m for VVD as most clubs who can waste £50m already have loads of defenders. He will go to Palace or West Ham .
What?

Sent from my SM-T580 using Tapatalk

Sell the miserable ****! 60 million plus and get some talent in..... He is probably the reason why our players are going backwards.... Constantly sulking and having a negative attitude will have a knock on effect. Time to cash in on Bobby big balls and move on.

Yeah they need some help.

Ha, can see why it'd be a good fit though. Only weak position, spend £60m ish, guarantee a stronger defence and someone who can play CL. Don't really mind if he goes there, would be good price and great it's not Liverpool.

I think he's top class, but we won't miss him given he was out 5 months then not really in the right mindset this season. So hard forcing players to stay. Everyone moans when you sell but this hasn't been ideal either. I'd rather put team spirit first and have people here who want to be.

If we'd sold Bertrand and VVD in the summer people would moan same old same old, but we wouldn't be any worse and bet the spirit would have been better. Just need to accept it and reinvest well in future.

Totally agree.

I fully supported the idea of keeping him back in the summer, but it’s turned out to be a disaster. It’s demotivated many other players (unjustifiably in many ways, but still). Our team spirit has been terrible for 18 months now (except the League Cup run).

Keeping him was designed to send a message to the rest of the squad. It certainly did that! It’s made many of them furious (as they were anticipating being allowed to move to a bigger club after year or two in the Saints shop window).

It’s nice to think a massive pay cheque and luxury lifestyle should be enough to motivate professionals, but they are pampered millionaires, not robots.

Obviously, it is essential that we get a good price and re-invest wisely (although, I suspect a large chunk of the money has already been earmarked to fund Mr Gao’s debt from buying the club).

Have been told that Virgil was dropped yesterday because he is being a nusence again and desperately wants out in January.

We just need to sell him and reinvest. He’s not played how he did last season before the injury.

Let's get him the window with a big "For Sale" label and see who comes knocking, BUT retain the right to not sell to L'pool

Great let's have a bidding war over VvD, more money for us!!

It would be more likely getting someone to agree to pay the club’s very high (if you believe the papers) asking price, than stoking up a bidding war. I’m not sure if bidding wars actually happen that often.

VVD and his agent certainly did a pretty enthusiastic job of quashing any prospect of a bidding war last summer.

Not selling him this summer was the latest in a long line of balls ups by the current board.

Agree with you there my friend but if hes wanting out in jan then go .Why keep someone whos clearly not in the teams best thoughts as to comitting his future here,but i dont see that hes lacking in performance on the pitch ,maybe his leadership skills are slightly waining to be fair but thats all about the process of not wanting to be here i suppose.Bertrands another unhappy player atm also .Never seems to play with a smile on his face anymore,just another multimillion pound worry i suppose oh well back to battlefield 1 for me.

Not selling him this summer was the latest in a long line of balls ups by the current board.

Come off it had we sold in the summer this board would of gone into meltdown over reed backing down, however we should get rid in jan

providing we re-invest in the squad and not put funds into the owners pot

We were right not to sell VvD in the summer (although I would have to anyone but Liverpool). However, our hand was significantly weakened when Holland failed to qualify for the WC.

VvD can now go through the motions, not play, do whatever he likes pretty much - His agent will find him a club and a healthy pay rise, regardless.

Get rid (again, to anyone but Liverpool - teach them a lesson, they can't bully us) early in the window and bring in 2 or 3 quality replacements, whilst also dipping into our own pockets for another 1 or 2.

Liverpool desperately need a CB. We don't need to sell VVD (for financial reasons or due to the length of his contract). They're not really in a position to negotiate. Pay up or shut up.

Will probably need his transfer to act as an extra parachute payment at the rate we're going.

Don't think anyone bid for him did they? Can only sell someone if a club actually puts an offer in. I'm sure if Liverpool had put a £70m bid in Reed would of accepted it without a doubt. Probably has some clause where he gets a % of transfer fees.

Its not the selling of players that the issue - its the not replacing them.

If we had sold Van Dijk to Chelsea for £50M plus Andreas Christensen permanently and Michy Batshuayi on loan plus bought Hoedt as we did anyway I would have been more than happy!

Liverpool desperately need a CB. We don't need to sell VVD (for financial reasons or due to the length of his contract). They're not really in a position to negotiate. Pay up or shut up.

We have a player (and major asset) who doesn’t want to be here and is causing issues with his attitude.... they certainly are in a position to negotiate.

We have a player (and major asset) who doesn’t want to be here and is causing issues with his attitude.... they certainly are in a position to negotiate.

We've already demonstrated a hardline attitude. Despite many people, including yourself, claiming that there was zero chance he'd be a Saints player by September, he's still here...

We've already demonstrated a hardline attitude. Despite many people, including yourself, claiming that there was zero chance he'd be a Saints player by September, he's still here...

How many bids did we turn down? (serious question as I actually don't know if we had bids or not).

Kevin Palmer of the Irish Indpendent (remember him from last summer?) has another VVD piece. It claims that Liverpool will not bid for him because of the “lavish” asking price:

https://www.independent.ie/sport/soccer/premier-league/liverpool/liverpool-will-not-pay-southamptons-lavish-asking-price-for-virgil-van-dijk-36414481.html

or put another way, "Liverpool can't afford VVD". Funny how the subeditor didn't spot that headline opportunity.

or put another way, "Liverpool can't afford VVD". Funny how the subeditor didn't spot that headline opportunity.

My unfounded theory is that something has happened to convince Liverpool he’ll not be going there anytime soon, and they are laying track to ward off the inevitable over the top reaction against them from their supporters.

There was something similar in the press concerning Man City’s reaction to the price tag a few weeks ago.

Its sods law, the one year we really should have sold... and the board kept him, unsettled the team, failed to strengthen, and paid his wages whilst he devalues and can't be bothered.... Great business. I'd rather have cashed in and signed a decent striker and another mane style player. Would probably have had change to spunk on another gk if so inclined as well. Really was appalling business.

Its sods law, the one year we really should have sold... and the board kept him, unsettled the team, failed to strengthen, and paid his wages whilst he devalues and can't be bothered.... Great business. I'd rather have cashed in and signed a decent striker and another mane style player. Would probably have had change to spunk on another gk if so inclined as well. Really was appalling business.

But nobody actually came in with an offer for him...... to sell you need a buyer.

I referred to it earlier - here’s the bit about Conte saying that the other clubs should stop City from signing VVD:

https://www.standard.co.uk/sport/football/chelsea-boss-antonio-conte-clubs-must-not-allow-manchester-city-to-sign-virgil-van-dijk-a3721971.html

Bit rich coming from Chelsea(or Liverpool) that statement. As that is case I would say sell to City as it upsets the other members of the big 4, 5 or 6 cartel. Why the rest of the Prem would care I don't know......

Yes we have and where has that got us? Our hand is weaker now than it was in the summer. At least in the summer we didn’t know how he would react and Holland still had a chance to qualify for the WC (meaning if VvD wanted to go to Russia he’d have to buckle down).

With the benefit of hindsight we should have sold when his value was arguably at its highest, but then you set a very dangerous precedence.

Ultimately, it just shows what money and Agents have done to the game and another reason why I, and many others I’m sure, are falling out of love with it.

Like him or not, you cannnot fault Cortese’s ability to sell players the dream and get them wanting to play for the club.

People keep saying we are in a relegation battle and want to sell our best defender...... :mcinnes:

Because. Even with our best defender we are where we are. If we get rid of him, ensure that we have adequate players in all the right positions we can do what we need to do this season which is survive. Then we allow ourselves the opportunity to build from there rather than have a fire sale. Simple, innit?

People keep saying we are in a relegation battle and want to sell our best defender...... :mcinnes:

He's only our best defender if he plays to, or close to, his full capacity. I don't think he's been bad since returning, but he's hardly been the colossus we've seen in the past. I don't think we should sell him at a cut price, or to Liverpool at any price, but I'm doubtful how big an asset van Dijk is going to be if we are in a relegation scrap. Is he going to put his body on the line for the team at a crucial moment in a crucial match?

It seems to me that he could be one of the reasons that we may be in a relegation battle as he is just going through the motions and not trying.

I watched him closely during the Leicester match on TV and it seemed pretty obvious, especially with his "shot" on goal!

If you can find a rerun of the game check him out.

I wonder how much his transfer value has dropped since the summer? It's certainly unlikely we'll get 70 million for him now. Maybe we have saved Liverpool 25 million. I don't blame anyone for this as it was probably a condition of the club's sale that Kat and Les couldn't sell him until Mr Gao had taken over. Otherwise they would have sold him in the summer as they'd originally planned.