Should VVD be sold in January?

Professor

What amazes me is people are saying sell and put that money into the team. What if our owners who took out a loan to buy the club want to use that money to pay that off rather then put it back into the team? Either way selling your best players in January when the club are struggling (2 wins in 13 and 1 in 9) is madness.

He won't be sold. Remember Mopo said in his conference

Pellegrino confirmed he had discussed the matter with Saints vice chairman and football supremo Les Reed, who denied talks were taking place.

He said: “I don’t think so.

“This morning I was with Les talking about that but nobody knows about that."

Reed wouldn't lie to the manager would he? I mean he is the director of football so transfers go through him. If he says there has been no talks then you have to believe him. ;)

We all thought the same when Liverpool signed Lovren. He turned out to be poor.

Personally, I don't think VVD is world class. He won't make a massive difference to them.

Personally I think you are clueless on this one. VVD has every attribute you could ask for a defender. Physicality, composure, leadership, positioning. Doubt we will ever see a better centre half at our club again.

Personally I think you are clueless on this one. VVD has every attribute you could ask for a defender. Physicality, composure, leadership, positioning. Doubt we will ever see a better centre half at our club again.

Read what I posted. I said he wasn't world class. I didn't say he was sh*te. One decent centre-half isn't going to make a huge difference to Liverpool.

Looks like he's already been sold imo

Clearly all the evidence suggests that VVD is in the process of being sold. Therefore use whatever portion of these funds it takes to pay off MP and his crew and employ a name manager with credits who the players will want to play for. Then give him whatever funds are left over for new players. The manager is the most important football appointment but is usually paid way less than average players. Do this and we have a chance whereas MP + new players = relegation. Getting the manager right is the key and the rest follows. It may take changes at the top though as Les Reed may continue to pretend all is well as he is the one who set it up. Two sacked managers in six months = LR sacked surely? Tuchel is still available, AVB is out there somewhere, or Mancini perhaps. A bit of ambition could sort this mess ...

@AdamBlackmore: Pellegrino on whether Van Dijk’s omission today was linked with a move away in January:

“Virgil, we know there will be a lot of speculation about him he's important player but I can't say anything right now.”

If that isn't a "Yes, but I've been told not to say anything" I don't know what is.

If it's to Liverpool we might as well just give up and go home

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

This. Forget MP and our dismal form, if we sell to those horrible ****s then you'd might as well not bother.

Kevin Palmer has resurfaced with another article. This one claims what many of us have already guessed, that the club have wrapped VVD up in cotton wool to protect him for the transfer window. He also claims that “the basis of a deal” has been agreed.

https://www.independent.ie/sport/soccer/premier-league/why-virgil-van-dijk-was-left-out-of-southampton-squadas-our-sources-suggest-a-transfer-is-close-36433662.html

It means that this summer’s goings on were a waste of time, and the club’s resistance to sell in the summer was a pointless charade. We could have used the VVD money in the summer to improve the squad, and perhaps our season may be going a little better than it is right now.

Pellegrino’s recent denials make sense now because they were in the context of interest from and contact with City.

OK I’m getting a little annoyed now.

Kevin Palmer has resurfaced with another article. This one claims what many of us have already guessed, that the club have wrapped VVD up in cotton wool to protect him for the transfer window. He also claims that “the basis of a deal” has been agreed.

https://www.independent.ie/sport/soccer/premier-league/why-virgil-van-dijk-was-left-out-of-southampton-squadas-our-sources-suggest-a-transfer-is-close-36433662.html

We'll find out on boxing day, won't we. Pellegrino said VVD was out to keep him fresh for the busy christmas period.

Don't think that I've ever had such a total lack of respect and dislike of a Saints player in all my years of supporting. Irrespective of any stance that we may have made, player power has once again won. A player can now show total disregard for the club and the fans, put in half assed performances, yet still pick up a massive pay cheque at the end of the week.

As far as I am concerned VVD is a footballing whore of the highest order, a total mercenary. I understand that they have no affiliation with the club or the fans, but if you are contacted to play for a club at least give your best and show a little respect to your employer.

The sooner we are shot of him the better, not normally a bitter man but hope he fails spectacularly.

Sent from my SM-T580 using Tapatalk

Reckon it will be Man City. They didnt hang around with their business in the summer and didnt mind paying over the odds, as long as Pep got his identified targets (£50m for Walker a perfect example). Wouldnt be surprised if a deal has already been agreed in principle for approx £60m and will be announced 1st January. Lets please reinvest all of that money and then some. Unlikely though

Don't think that I've ever had such a total lack of respect and dislike of a Saints player in all my years of supporting. Irrespective of any stance that we may have made, player power has once again won. A player can now show total disregard for the club and the fans, put in half assed performances, yet still pick up a massive pay cheque at the end of the week.

As far as I am concerned VVD is a footballing whore of the highest order, a total mercenary. I understand that they have no affiliation with the club or the fans, but if you are contacted to play for a club at least give your best and show a little respect to your employer.

The sooner we are shot of him the better, not normally a bitter man but hope he fails spectacularly.

Nail on head. Despicable excuse for a 'professional'.

I think we have ****ed the whope VVd scenario up.

Absolutely zero benefit of keeping him. Should have either sold in Msy or had the balls go properly haul Liverpool over the coals.

Sell him to them now and its just so, so weak.

At a time we need to be strong.

Which is (yet another reason why) we are likely to be relegated.

I think we have ****ed the whope VVd scenario up.

Absolutely zero benefit of keeping him. Should have either sold in Msy or had the balls go properly haul Liverpool over the coals.

Sell him to them now and its just so, so weak.

At a time we need to be strong.

Which is (yet another reason why) we are likely to be relegated.

Yeah sure you’d have been banging in the posts praising Les if we sold in the summer. What exactly does hauling over the coals mean?

I used to like the thought of him ending uo at Barca and being proud of him once being our player. Can’t stand him now.

Dutch are trouble as a rule.

The moral of this season is that it is on reflection better to sell than keep players who don’t want to be at Saints. We cannot yet make the transition into a holding club. Better to go no holds barred in the other direction and go with a mix of experience and youth. Served us well in the past. With a manager who knew his onions, not a charlatan with a nice suit

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I used to like the thought of him ending uo at Barca and being proud of him once being our player. Can’t stand him now.

Dutch are trouble as a rule.

How the **** does this have anything to do with him being Dutch? Keep your xenophobic bull**** to yourself please.

We've been here before the last few years. Lovren, Schneiderlin, Wanyama, Shaw and now van Dijk.

Maybe it was a mistake keeping him, but in the end we needed to show the other players we would try to keep everyone. We can't be sure either that we had a decent offer on the table in the summer. In the end it's all speculation.

I'd sell him if the price is right, otherwise keep him.

Totally this in bucket loads!!!

Should have gone in the summer. The board we're in an impossible position. Damned if they did, damned if they didn't. Our season is an example of forcing players who don't want to be here to stay.

Couldn't go in the summer because someone talked themself into a corner and didn't want to lose face, as per usual. When we get rid of the chief bolloaks spouter who just has to open it about anything and anything, we'll be a damn sight better off.

If we go from the noises coming out of Liverpool last summer, money should be no issue for them, whilst City "won't be held to ransom".

Both clubs made noises about not caving in to VVD’s exorbitant asking price recently in the press.

Liverpool seem to have caved in faster than expected, although when you hear noises about a deal being structured in the case of yesterday’s Liverpool reports, it does make you a little suspicious about how much the club will end up getting.

I don’t think we’ll see a bidding war - it will probably be the first club to meet the asking price on the most favourable terms. Hopefully VVD does not stack the deck in favour of the scouses again.