Should VVD be sold in January?

Professor

Wouldn't sell in January for these reasons:

1. It would have been largely pointless going through the whole fiasco of the summer just to sell after he has played about 15 more games.

2. Fees are likely to be higher in the summer.

3. We could still get relegated and VVD improves our team without question.

4. Its hard to find quality players in Jan to spend the money on.

5. I wouldn't trust the club to spend it well in January as proven by the utter cluster**** we made of the CB situation last year, resulting in us grovelling to Caceres who was a complete last resort.

Sell in the summer.

& to expand on #4, would give us 6 more months of scouting time.

Its a no brainer for me. No point in making all that fuss about keeping him in the summer only to sell him a few months later. Sell next summer.

But you would sell him a year on? I would have sold him then, and I would sell him now, for the right price. The proceeds would allow us to strengthen across the side and also restore Jack Stephens to the squad.

This, I'm so frustrated by this decision. He looked very useful, especially in possession, looked to break lines. Reminded me of Virgil at times. Would've liked to have seen him play alongside VVD.

dont get me wrong, I like Stephens and he has a great future, but for all his great play with the ball, he just does not dominate attackers in the same way VVD does. Whether he plays ahead of Hoedt is a different matter, but even he is stronger in the air and thats a basic requirement of CBs. The other option is to play three

dont get me wrong, I like Stephens and he has a great future, but for all his great play with the ball, he just does not dominate attackers in the same way VVD does. Whether he plays ahead of Hoedt is a different matter, but even he is stronger in the air and thats a basic requirement of CBs. The other option is to play three
VVD sometimes looks like he can't be bothered because ots often so easy for him.

He wins so many duels. There was a stat a couple of weeks ago that since he came back into our team he had won more aerial duels than any other PL player.

The type of duels Stephens and Yoshida win far fewer of, which makes it harder to clear our lines.

• 3 weeks later...
Liverpool Echo reporting that LFC expect competition from Man City who have made VvD their first-choice Centre Back target in January.

I think we may well wait it out until the summer but if Man City called in January I would let him go...

I suppose the question is where is the money going? We know Kat let it be invested in the team not sure what will happen now.

How many goals have we conceded since he came back? I expected our defence to improve with his return but really it doesn't seem any better (maybe a bit worse) than we were forced to use Stephens and Yoshida last season. Whether its down to coaching, lack of protection from midfield, formation or personnel at the back I don't know but the defence looks like the key stone cops a lot of the time and seem to struggle to keep a clean sheet.

It would be nice to have £70m to invest in fresh talent (who?) and it would be nice to have Stephens restored to the squad but what are the chances of the £70m being used for the team? We have no idea, it may be used to clear the debt Gao ran up to buy us and also if we don't hold VVD to contract it means all the other contracts the players have become worthless, so what was the point of giving long contracts---and at very much higher wages. Player power is winning, the fans are the mugs

It would be nice to have £70m to invest in fresh talent (who?) and it would be nice to have Stephens restored to the squad but what are the chances of the £70m being used for the team? We have no idea, it may be used to clear the debt Gao ran up to buy us and also if we don't hold VVD to contract it means all the other contracts the players have become worthless, so what was the point of giving long contracts---and at very much higher wages. Player power is winning, the fans are the mugs

*If* we sold him for £70m, I'd guess around a third of that will go on Celtic's sell-on, agents fees, etc. Then it would be up to the man in charge how much he'd release of what would be remaining for strengthening. Hopefully there is already a 'pot' with some left in from the summer.

If he continues to perform as badly as last night then get rid in January, clearly not focused any more. Shocking last night, seemed asleep at times, and not alert to the danger for the first (?) goal after Tadic gave the ball away. Could easily have stopped that attack if he had been paying attention. Think his mind was elsewhere, probably same place as his head.

If he continues to perform as badly as last night then get rid in January, clearly not focused any more. Shocking last night, seemed asleep at times, and not alert to the danger for the first (?) goal after Tadic gave the ball away. Could easily have stopped that attack if he had been paying attention. Think his mind was elsewhere, probably same place as his head.

I agree, he irritates me now. Not playing half as well as he did last season prior to the injury, and doesn't look as though he wants to be there. Fed up of his negative body language and shrugging/putting his hands out every time a player does something that he doesn't approve of. He reminds me of the talented kid at school who knows he's good and gets annoyed at how others are not as good as him. If we get a huge offer, sell please.

Selling your best player in a relegation battle isn't a sound move.

If he wasn’t strolling around with a face like a smacked arse I would agree with you. We are in a relegation scrap, £60mill will get us a decent replacement who will give 100% plus the funds to refresh our attacking options.

Unless our Chinese owner has millions to throw around selling is a no brainier IMO.

He shouldn't be sold , he should be put on the bench for a few weeks. I'm convinced the rot set in when we pandered to this way anchor and put him back in the side as if nothing had happened. That includes the supporters as well, they let the bloke bend us over and **** us up the arse , whilst giving Redmond and FF clog during the game. As shiete as they are, at least their giving 100%. Wish we had a Jimmy Case or Terry Hurlock to knock the Dutch twt out, that'll sort him out.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

If he wasn’t strolling around with a face like a smacked arse I would agree with you. We are in a relegation scrap, £60mill will get us a decent replacement who will give 100% plus the funds to refresh our attacking options.

Unless our Chinese owner has millions to throw around selling is a no brainier IMO.

Why did the board fight to keep him as hard as they did in the summer only to sell him six months later, it's not happening, he aint going nowhere this season.

Why did the board fight to keep him as hard as they did in the summer only to sell him six months later, it's not happening, he aint going nowhere this season.

I'm convinced they would have sold him last summer, quite happily, but Liverpool's (and possibly Chelsea's if rumours are to be believed) tapping up meant the club felt it had to make a point to the player, his agent and Liverpool. If they felt the point has been made I imagine they would sell for the right price.

love the fact that, in the aftermath of an absolute horror show from the whole team, people want him out.

Post Arsenal, when he had his usual good game along with the rest of the backline, I don't think so many would want him gone in Jan.

Personal opinion is that, given our position just four points above relegation and probably closer after this weekend, it makes no sense at all to sell your best player in January. If any other team down there did that we'd be saying they had accepted their fate.

Also, this whole he isn't trying thing is frankly not true. One of the things we all enjoyed about VVD pre the injury was that he made everything look so easy, like he barely had to break sweat. He's still playing like that now, as was acknowledged in commentary against Bournemouth as an example, but that style is now being used by some to suggest he can't bothered.

Fits in very nicely with his ultimate plans if we were, God forbid, to drop through the trap door.

Just a little dark thought......... cheap out of character penalty given away at Stoke, a bit too blatant - steady on. Getting beaten in the air by Giroud a bit more subtle.

An observation from that game in Prague just tickles the cynic in me.

Selling your best player in a relegation battle isn't a sound move.

TOP POST.

It is funny how those (non ?) Saints supporters who keep suggesting selling him and buying somebody else but NEVER SAY who they would buy and whether they are available in this window. We are in a relegation battle along with all the non-top6 sides this season.

Only a side asking to be relegated sells ONE of their best players in Jan.

And for those suggesting he played poorly the other night I was there and there for the full 90 mins and there were at least 8 others who were far worst i.e. Tadic, Boufal, Lemina, Romeu, Cedric, etc etc but the worst performance came from the Manager.

Jim white doing his best to flog Vvd in January (Again) he had a little chat with our Nigel who after being told something along the lines of " it'll be a case of to who not if he goes in January do you think Nigel" . Adkins reminded him he was saying the same in the summer :lol:

Jim white doing his best to flog Vvd in January (Again) he had a little chat with our Nigel who after being told something along the lines of " it'll be a case of to who not if he goes in January do you think Nigel" . Adkins reminded him he was saying the same in the summer :lol:

Please dont get me started on Jim bloody White, what a self obsessed tool!!.

Is he though? Has looked half arsed all season

He's looked half-arsed for the entire time he's been with us, he's still been mostly fantastic when fit. I can't see him going to Liverpool now but if he does they're going to absolutely slaughter him for looking too laid back, like it matters. Man City fans would love him.

He's looked half-arsed for the entire time he's been with us, he's still been mostly fantastic when fit. I can't see him going to Liverpool now but if he does they're going to absolutely slaughter him for looking too laid back, like it matters. Man City fans would love him.

Yep, he has always looked casual on the pitch, even pre-Klopp love in. I remember watching him coast around the place at Celtic....upping his game when he had to, but always with an effortless ease. I still think he is giving his best for Saints, even if it's filling in time until the Summer.

Just get rid. We have perfectly good CBs in Yoshi, Stephens and Hoedt. VVDs positioning is markedly worse (perhaps deliberately sloppy) and he’s probably a bad egg in the changing room. We need the reinvestment in an attacking midfielder to oust Redmond and a proper 20 goal striker.

Just get rid. We have perfectly good CBs in Yoshi, Stephens and Hoedt. VVDs positioning is markedly worse (perhaps deliberately sloppy) and he’s probably a bad egg in the changing room. We need the reinvestment in an attacking midfielder to oust Redmond and a proper 20 goal striker.

We did OK without VvD for half of last season... But I'm pretty sure that was probably down to Claude's coaching.

I'm not sure Saints selling VvD, with MP's coaching is a recipe to avoid relegation.

Get rid. Waste of space this season and no doubt a negative influence in dressing room and on training ground. He has made it quite clear he doesn't want to wear the shirt so quite why we are still including him in our match day squad is beyond me.

It would be like my missus ****ging another bloke all Summer, but she tells me its all off *****il January) and expecting everything to be fine around the table for Xmas dinner

We did OK without VvD for half of last season... But I'm pretty sure that was probably down to Claude's coaching.

I'm not sure Saints selling VvD, with MP's coaching is a recipe to avoid relegation.

Claude’s coaching being incredibly negative, play for a 0-0 at home to Hull, Stoke and Bournemouth, defensive football. We can get along just fine without Virgil, it’s all about who replaces him and who the manager is.