Morgan Schneiderlin

9-3

Loving some of the retrospective rubbish being spouted about Schneiderlin here. He was utterly fantastic for us in his last two seasons, one of which was with Wanyama when they only started 19 games together; and the season before that alongside Davis and sometimes Cork.

He also only played in one defeat until mid-January in his first season at Man U. Then Saints won there to make it two, and the wheels fell off, with him playing in 6 more defeats that season. That was more down to Man U that Schneiderlin though - they won 58% of games he played in and 40% of those he didn't.

Superb player who is being comically misused since he left. Though as he's 28 now we probably wouldn't sign him anyway, plus wages would be too high... he's not good value.

As for the "zero tackles" stat, yeah, he just used to stroll around intercepting the ball rather than needing to tackle even with us. Plus we attack down the wings practically all the time.

He did get booed on Sunday, but they booed him when he changed direction in possession three times because he had no-one to pass to, and let's not forget he's alongside Idrissa Gueye who already went down with Villa. As for Baningime, how great could he have been in a 5-1 defeat? If nothing else the Skate Unsworth has shown that chucking kids at it doesn't always work even if it's what some fans like.

Totally agree. I never understood why some of our fans raved about him as some sort of superstar. He was never anything more than an average Premier League midfielder. Playing alongside Wanyama made life very easy for him. Even then, Schneiderlin often used to get caught dwelling on the ball, and was too easily dispossessed. At times it's like he's daydreaming. He seems to find it hard to concentrate for a whole game.

I think you may be getting confused with Paul Wotton. Morgan was the one with the French accent.

Morgan was a superb player when he was with us, looked like he would be classy at any level, but something went wrong at Man U and now he looks worse than average. Still we made a few bob on him when he left after being with us for a good many years in L1, CCC and PL. Would I have him back, no, but because it seldom works to go back (Mick Channon notwithstanding).

Depends on whether he could recapture the form of 2014/15. If he could, for me, he'd be automatic choice!

I'd take currently rubbish Schneiderlin with two years of top class Prem performances under his belt over Hojbjerg's one decent game for us in the past 12 months, I think that's a "come back when Hojbjerg's in the side ahead of Romeu and Lemina on a weekly basis" shout. So much being said about a one-off performance against a poor opponent when he should have all the motivation in the world. At the moment I'd think about giving him a shot in a DM pair with Lemina further forward in some away games, but he's got to make himself undroppable first.

With PEH and Lemina to call on. Morgan wouldn't be near our team now

Have to laugh at some of the statements being made about Hojbjerg on here after one decent performance against the current whipping boys of the premier league! Think he needs to provide a fair bit more evidence before you can start comparing him to Morgan's performances in a Saints shirt somehow.

Sent from my Moto G (4) using Tapatalk

I'd take currently rubbish Schneiderlin with two years of top class Prem performances under his belt over Hojbjerg's one decent game for us in the past 12 months, I think that's a "come back when Hojbjerg's in the side ahead of Romeu and Lemina on a weekly basis" shout. So much being said about a one-off performance against a poor opponent when he should have all the motivation in the world. At the moment I'd think about giving him a shot in a DM pair with Lemina further forward in some away games, but he's got to make himself undroppable first.

Well thank God you are not managing us then. Schneiderlin was past his best when he left us. Since then he has achieved the sum total of not much and has been even worse lately....

We don’t need to follow in West Ham’s example bu buying tired hadbeens that everyone else realised are past their best.

Honestly nowhere near good enough now...

He didn't make it at Utd because he wasn't good enough. He was one of the worst players in the worst side to visit St Mary's for a very long time. He's nowhere near good enough to start instead of OR or Lemina, so there's absolutely no point in signing him. JWP & PEH are younger and should be the next cabs off the rank if they're out.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Not sure what some of you have been smoking. Pretty sure Morgan was the first name on the team sheet for a while for us.

He's a shadow of the player he once was tho'

Quite. Was excellent for us for a long time. Man U has had a 'Moyes' type effect on him but don't wish the lad any ill although if he could be as poor at Goodison that would help! May try and rebuild his career in Ligue 1 or Serie A if he's willing to take a pay cut, he doesn't seem to have that energy/zip that he had with us but the stop-start at Man U and chaos at Everton may be the cause.

Shows you the quality difference in managers if anything, Victor has blossomed at Spurs and addressed the flaws around distribution over 5-10 yards. Clear role in that Spurs side too.

Geeeez!!

Fella was top quality for us for many years.

Hated the way he reacted when Spurs came calling. Never wanted him to leave, but completely understand the lure of Man Utd.

I would have him back in a heart beat. Wouldn't pay anywhere near what Everton paid, but defo £5m

Amount of players Lawrie Mac used to bring to The Dell who were apparently past their best or 'trouble' & got the best out of them shows what could be done with an arm round the shoulder & the responsibility of being our skipper.

He is a lot better footballer than any of the players we have now. His performance on Sunday was very very poor. I saw him nowhere near as committed as he was for us. Everton fans already want him out. He never got a proper chance t the rags.

Id ask Everton of they want to do a straight swap for Redmond!!!

PEH > JWP > Lemina > Romeu > Wanyama > Schneiderlin

Purely based on ability and not on most recent 1 performances. :rolleyes:

Schneiderlin always impressed me with his tackling actually, amazing how many times he looked sure to either be beaten or give away a foul and would somehow come away with the ball. As much as Romeu and Wanyama are both strong 'tough tacklers', they are also more prone to giving away cheap free kicks. I could be wrong but that's something that struck me at the time.

Well thank God you are not managing us then. Schneiderlin was past his best when he left us. Since then he has achieved the sum total of not much and has been even worse lately....

We don’t need to follow in West Ham’s example bu buying tired hadbeens that everyone else realised are past their best.

Honestly nowhere near good enough now...

PAST HIS BEST....... he was 26ish when he left and only 28 now hardly a has been, hes still a very good player just thing ain't gone right for him

Morgan as they say is 'one of our own' and you could see that he hadn't forgotten his time here either or his old buddies, all cuddles in the line up and after the match. One sensed he may genuinely have regretted leaving - at least on Sunday. Of course nostalgia is a wonderful thing especially for romantics which the French are supposed to be.

Nostalgia aside there can be no question that he was a fantastic player for us when it mattered most and for his contribution to our climb back to respectability we should be eternally grateful. Those who seek to denigrate him and try to rewrite that part of our history because he is no longer a Saints player should be thoroughly ashamed of themselves.

Why wouldn't we take him back if the opportunity arose and the price was right after all he is no worse than any of our other options in midfield and many might claim a bloody site more consistent than most of them.

There is no effort to re-write history, he was a vital cog in the team that led us back to the big time. But the reality is that he has gone downhill since leaving us and wouldn't get in our team on current form. That's all. Sad, yet I don't feel sorry for him, he got what he wanted. It just didn't do his career any good but his bank balance is ok for the rest of his life

Morgan as they say is 'one of our own' and you could see that he hadn't forgotten his time here either or his old buddies, all cuddles in the line up and after the match. One sensed he may genuinely have regretted leaving - at least on Sunday. Of course nostalgia is a wonderful thing especially for romantics which the French are supposed to be.

Nostalgia aside there can be no question that he was a fantastic player for us when it mattered most and for his contribution to our climb back to respectability we should be eternally grateful. Those who seek to denigrate him and try to rewrite that part of our history because he is no longer a Saints player should be thoroughly ashamed of themselves.

Why wouldn't we take him back if the opportunity arose and the price was right after all he is no worse than any of our other options in midfield and many might claim a bloody site more consistent than most of them.

Oh dear.... slightly over the top ... nostalgia has got hold of your emotions to a degree... I wouldn’t presume to suggest you should be ‘ashamed of yourself though’

There is no effort to re-write history, he was a vital cog in the team that led us back to the big time. But the reality is that he has gone downhill since leaving us and wouldn't get in our team on current form. That's all. Sad, yet I don't feel sorry for him, he got what he wanted. It just didn't do his career any good but his bank balance is ok for the rest of his life

"On current form". Those are the key words here, and I totally agree that he has gone downhill in his performances since he left us, and seems to have been badly affected by his time at Man U. But for me, I would still be open to taking him back if the price was right and he was committed and keen to return. It seems like more of a mental issue with him at the moment rather than a physical one (as I can't recall him suffering major injuries), so I think with the right handling and used in the right way, there's no reason why he can't reproduce the kind of form he showed with us before. As they say, "Form is temporary, class is permanent" and that makes him potentially an upgrade on several of our other current midfield options - in my opinion of course.

PEH > JWP > Lemina > Romeu > Wanyama > Schneiderlin

Purely based on ability and not on most recent 1 performances. :rolleyes:

Schneiderlin always impressed me with his tackling actually, amazing how many times he looked sure to either be beaten or give away a foul and would somehow come away with the ball. As much as Romeu and Wanyama are both strong 'tough tacklers', they are also more prone to giving away cheap free kicks. I could be wrong but that's something that struck me at the time.

IMO it’s:

JWP > PEH > Romeu > Schneiderlin > Lemina = to Wanyama

Personally I think PEH, Schneiderlin and Lemina are all similar players. I think Wanyama was massively underrated and his passing / on the ball ability was in no way as bad as some made out.

A CM partnership of Wanyama and Lemina would be outstanding and just the level above what we had when Schneiderlin was in there.

So many seem to have forgotten that last season at Everton he was a key, key player for them.

Cannot understand this rewriting of history that always seems to happen.

He was a top, top player for us .

I noticed that when flicking through the Everton forums quite a few of their fans seemed to think he was excellent last season and can't quite work out what's happened to him this season.

Staggering that some on here would not take. Him back. And some think he was not even that good for us :mcinnes:

Would have him over Oriel anyday, imagine him and Lemina!

Staggering that some can’t seem to comprehend players don’t all remain at same peak level throughout their career. Mental toughness and attitude count as much as ability. He is no longer the player we had and loved, and that some loved too much.

Staggering that some can’t seem to comprehend players don’t all remain at same peak level throughout their career. Mental toughness and attitude count as much as ability. He is no longer the player we had and loved, and that some loved too much.

Loved too much? Up there with Lambert and Lallana as the best in recent years.

Class is permanent, form can be temporary (unless you are Torres)

Morgan benefited form our set up but let's not re-write history. He was absolutely superb for us. He's regressed since but him next to Lemina would be absolutely mouth watering. I'd have him back. One of the few wantaways that got his head down and gave us one last season (and his best season) before he left.

Edited by Shance

LOL at some of the sentimental rubbish on here

MS was poor to begin with (league 1) and improved drastically but he was never as good as some make out... plus he threw his toys out the pram Lallana style (who was far more influential in our promotions and early prem success). I for one am pleased that he has been shown up since leaving.. serves him right

No better than what we already have. Leave him to rot

MS was poor to begin with (league 1) and improved drastically but he was never as good as some make out... plus he threw his toys out the pram Lallana style (who was far more influential in our promotions and early prem success). I for one am pleased that he has been shown up since leaving.. serves him right

He joined Saints in the Championship... not League 1.

Miserable sod!

Sounds like you’re the sentimental and emotional one, pal.