Man City Away Match Thread

ALWAYS_SFC

Fancy us tonight. 2-1 Saints. VVD & Long on the score sheet. Sterling for the Cityzens.

OMG...We beat the worst team at home on Sunday and now you think we can beat Man City...? I am not convinced by our win on Sunday like many on here are...There is still much to do with this team and I am still not convinced MP yet.

OMG...We beat the worst team at home on Sunday and now you think we can beat Man City...? I am not convinced by our win on Sunday like many on here are...There is still much to do with this team and I am still not convinced MP yet.

footballs all a confidence factor, all a mental game at times.

i fancy us too suddenly, not necessarily to win, but at least give a good account of ourselves.

footballs all a confidence factor, all a mental game at times.

i fancy us too suddenly, not necessarily to win, but at least give a good account of ourselves.

I agree, the Everton game reminded me somewhat of Adkins first prem win vs Villa. A bit of a watershed moment for this team and manager.

Not saying we'll beat city, but I think we will certainly go there and give a good account of ourselves.

Really don't understand a lot of our fans atm, they can all see the weaknesses in the actual team (attack, goalkeeper), but they then blame the manager when we struggle to break down teams that purely defend at SMS... You have to give the man time, and you need to hope that whatever happens, the Saints board spend some money on a top notch striker in January. Saints need a reliable (sadly not Austin) strong front man who can hold the ball up, join up play, and finish!! Get that and we will be a very effective side.

What are you not convinced about ?

Got to play JWP, if ever there's a weakness for a team like this it'll be defending set pieces, Kompany nearly put a Huddersfield corner into his own net just before Otamendi actually did. This is a game where we aren't going to want to attack very much, and will be wanting to keep the ball whenever possible. Pellegrino has been preparing for this game all season!!!!

I'd give Austin a well deserved rest but try to do a Chelsea vs Liverpool and restrict space around the edge of the box and try to force them to play wide or over the top.

Something like:

------------------Forster----------------

-------Yoshida-----VVD-----Hoodt-------

Cedric-----------Romeu----------Bertrand

-------PEH--------------Lamina----------

-----------------------------------------

-----------Long--------Redmond---------

Get Long & Redmond to press their defenders when out of possession and try to keep it tight.

If we're still in it after 70 mins, bring on Boufal for one of the midfielders (probably Romeu otherwise PEH if he doesn't have the legs after playing on Sunday), Austin for Long and Tadic or Gabbi for Redmond then shift to a 3-4-3 and try to get crosses in where they're at their weakest (relatively speaking).

I’d go with this. Hit them on the break.

You're right that we shouldn't get too over excited, but the performance was so much better than anything previous under him. If we had played like that against Burnley we would've have beaten them.

I liken the outcome of this game to the first appearance of Hypno-disc in Robot Wars series 3, when he tore Robogeddon a new arsehole. We could very well get battered. However Huddersfield showed that it's possible to stop them playing to their strengths and, even though they ground out a win on Sunday, that they are in fact fallible. My hope for this game is that we can annoy City and stop them playing. A draw would be a great result though. I would go with what seems like the minority, have Austin on the bench so he's fresh for the Bournemouth game, and play Long up front. Well it's unlikely we'll have much of the ball, so a pacy, annoying player could work. It won't be popular but my team would be:

Forster, Cedric, VVD, Hoedt, Bertrand, Romeu, Hojbjerg, Lemina, Tadic, Redmond, Long. Solidity and pace is what I'm going for there! It won't be, but then I'm not the manager.

I'd take a draw but I can see City winning this. Keeping the score down will be key. 3-1 City.

Have heard 3 at the back and numerous changes. Long, Lemina, Redmond definitely in, Austin and Davis out.

Not sure on Romeu/Hojbjerg and who drops out for MY.

Pace up top for counter attack. He did it with Alaves and beat Barca.

If it's 3 at the back why would anyone drop out for My ?

Have heard 3 at the back and numerous changes. Long, Lemina, Redmond definitely in, Austin and Davis out.

Fair enough, don’t think you can argue with that. Whilst redmond and long haven’t been great you can see what he’s trying to achieve.

Expect Tadic and JWP to both drop out then.

I can see dropping Austin if he is unable to play three games in a week.

Redmond must be great in training.

I can see dropping Austin if he is unable to play three games in a week.

Redmond must be great in training.

Redmond has been poor this season but I can see some logic in playing him in this type of game where we are expected to be under pressure for long periods and will want to play on the break. He was quite effective in the Liverpool semi final games last season when we played that sort of game, so hopefully he can surprise us?

Redmond has been poor this season but I can see some logic in playing him in this type of game where we are expected to be under pressure for long periods and will want to play on the break. He was quite effective in the Liverpool semi final games last season when we played that sort of game, so hopefully he can surprise us?

He also had a good game at theirs last season

Everton drew with City so it is fact that we should win 4-1

Rubbish!!

Is this the same Long that hasn't scored in 20+ games? We might only get one chance against City and if it falls to Austin he is more likely to take it. Save Long for last 15 mins. Don't change a winning side!!! And why can't Austin make 3 starts in a week? He's not an old man! I don't care if it's City or Swansea we are playing, don't change a winning side

This.

Some people play too much Football Manager.

Rubbish!!

I don't care if it's City or Swansea we are playing, don't change a winning side

Now that is a daft approach stuck in the 1970s or 1980s! So if we had Messi and he was suspended for a game vs Swansea we won, then we faced Arsenal next match you wouldn't put him back in the team because it would be "changing a winning side"?

Forster, Cédric, Yoshida, van Dijk, Hoedt, Bertrand, Højbjerg, Romeu, Lemina, Redmond, Long.

Subs: McCarthy, McQueen, Boufal, Tadić, Austin, Davis, Gabbiadini.

3-5-2 makes its long-awaited league debut. Surprised that Redmond gets the nod over Gabbi. But interesting to see how things pan out.

That's a pretty sensible team to play at City away. Well done MP.
Until you see that City are starting a front 3 of Aguero Jesus and Sterling...

So we either play 3-5-2 and get absolutely destroyed on the counter as soon as Bertrand and/or Cedric venture forward, or (more likely) we play 5-3-2 and try and 'do a Huddersfield'. Which means we'll be lucky if we get one or two half chances during the match. Good job we've got Long rather than Austin to make the most of them then...

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

I'd give Austin a well deserved rest but try to do a Chelsea vs Liverpool and restrict space around the edge of the box and try to force them to play wide or over the top.

Something like:

------------------Forster----------------

-------Yoshida-----VVD-----Hoodt-------

Cedric-----------Romeu----------Bertrand

-------PEH--------------Lamina----------

-----------------------------------------

-----------Long--------Redmond---------

Get Long & Redmond to press their defenders when out of possession and try to keep it tight.

If we're still in it after 70 mins, bring on Boufal for one of the midfielders (probably Romeu otherwise PEH if he doesn't have the legs after playing on Sunday), Austin for Long and Tadic or Gabbi for Redmond then shift to a 3-4-3 and try to get crosses in where they're at their weakest (relatively speaking).

Nailed it!

Sent from my SM-J330FN using Tapatalk

That's it. I'm done with this manager. He can **** off now. Don't change a winning side. Austin has scored 7 in last 11 starts and played great on Saturday, scored twice, so guess what, he's dropped!!! Long hasn't scored since Feb but starts......

Ward-Prowse was excellent Saturday, so guess what, Dropped!!!! Tadic had a good game Saturday, 1 goal, 1 assist, guess what, that's right, ****ing dropped!!!!!

No wonder players want to leave!! We have waited ages for goals, finally get 4 on Saturday, and he drops the best players that score and create the goals. Madness.

Hope we ****ing lose now

Good decision really. I'm sure those who have been left out will understand. Can see it being closer than expected; will be surprised if they steamroll us when we have such a defensive line up.

Bournemouth on Sunday is so much more important than this game.

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk