Man City Away Match Thread

ALWAYS_SFC

I'd save Austin for Bournemouth, if we are to get anything out of the game we have to work our arses off like Huddersfield did today, hope they have a bit of an off day or make the odd error and make more on the counter attack than Huddersfield did.

I'd go for Romeu, Lemina and Hojberg in the middle, with sadly Long up top, not cos he'll score but because we need pace on the counter.

So same team for me but (as long as he is fit) Lemina > Davis, Long > Austin, Romeu > Tadic.

-----------------------------Forster-------------------------------

Cedric--------Van ****------Hoedt---------Bertrand

--------------------Romeu---------PEH-----------------------

---------Davis----------Lemina-------------Boufal--------

----------------------------Austin--------------------------------

Rotate please. Play Gabbiadini up front, put in Lemina and Romeu and possibly PEH in CM and rest Davis. I'm sure Austin will want to play but we know fitness and injuries are an issue and the Bournemouth game is infinitely more important.

I'd go

FF

Cedric VVD Hoedt Bert

Lemina Romeu PEH

Boufal Gabbiadini Tadic

I'll be the first to say I have no idea how to set up against Man City.

One moment which made me think today, though, was Yoshida coming on and us switching to three at the back. Was that a late bit of security in case Everton got back into it, or a (very) late run-out which points to a formation change on Wednesday?

I'll be the first to say I have no idea how to set up against Man City.

One moment which made me think today, though, was Yoshida coming on and us switching to three at the back. Was that a late bit of security in case Everton got back into it, or a (very) late run-out which points to a formation change on Wednesday?

Our great manager will set this up nicely as it will be our easiest 3 points this season.

Not one City player scares me as they lack pace plus they will fear our Redmond & Long up front.

0-2 Long brace :D

Edited by Pilchards

City must be looking at the league the this morning with their 8 point lead at the top and home games to come this week against us and West Ham and think what a chance to extend their lead and virtually wrap up the title before Christmas. Just hope they are complacent and we take some inspiration from the fact Everton got a point there earlier in the season.

I doubt any of us are expecting anything so pressure is off in some ways , especially after yesterday's win, Bournemouth much bigger game on Sunday.

IMHO:

------------------------------Forster------------------------------

Cedric-----------Van Dijk------------Hoedt------------Bertrand

------------------Romeu--------------PEH------------------------

------------------------------Davis--------------------------------

---------JWP----------------------------------Boufal--------------

-----------------------------Gabbiadini----------------------------

I’m not convinced we need to rotate loads of players just because it’s 3 games in a week (Puel’s obsession with resting players didn’t exactly work out too well!), but I think Austin probably isn’t as fit as the others, so I’d save him for a sub appearance, then a start at Bournemouth.

If we rotate too much, the team will lose momentum and our goal difference could get badly reduced.

I think Gabbi deserves a chance as he’s done nothing wrong. Maybe his runs could catch City out (if someone passes to him!)

I think Tadic did much better against Everton, but I think someone needs to make way for Romeu to return (to help PEH and Davis try to hold City back, with JWP helping out sometimes too).

Assuming Lemina is not yet fully fit, I’d save him for Bournemouth and let PEH hold his place. I’m sure he’ll be motivated to perform against his old manager too.

I think we all expect Forster to concede goals against City, but if he messes up easy saves again, I’d try McCarthy against Bournemouth.

I admit Forster did nothing wrong against Everton, but that doesn’t say much. It would be crazy to give McCarthy his debut against City anyway, but if the management don’t trust him to ever play, we need to sell him in January.

I’ve got a feeling we might score a goal (but still lose).

Finally, please no Nathan Redmond! Maybe a spell in the under-23s is the way to go. It seemed to help PEH a lot (who’s only a year younger).

If Charlie is not picked to start, which he thoroughly deserves to be, he will be completely demotivated.
I'd suggest even he knows he can't play three games in a week. I think we need him for Bournemouth and this game is better suited to Gabbiadini or Long.

Everton are the only team to take points off Man City this season, so we should just copy all of their tactics from recent matches... :)

HOW did Man City NOT beat Everton???????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????

HOW did Redmond score there last season???????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????

Also, their midweek games in the Champions League haven't provided them with as many goals as in the league. Maybe we can get something???

If Charlie is not picked to start, which he thoroughly deserves to be, he will be completely demotivated.
Not necessarily. I think given his injury record he would understand that the most important thing is not to risk another injury by pushing too hard just when he's coming back to form.

Sent from my Moto G (4) using Tapatalk

A free hit as far as I'm concerned... keep them below 3 and I think it would be a decent performance. Focus should be to keep confidence high going into Bmouth next week.

Need to set up like we did against Liverpool last season, defend deep and try and hit them with pace on the counter. Whilst we will not want to give Sane and Sterling room in behind (which is why we will need to defend deep), we cannot afford to give De Bruyne any room in the last 3rd.

I'd be tempted to play 3 holding CM's and get them to man mark Silva and De Bruyne.

----------- FF ----------

CS -- VvD -- WH -- RB

----------- OR ---------

----- PEH ---- ML -----

NR** --------------- SB

------- MG / SL --------

** He's been sh!te and doesn't deserve a start, I know that, but I think NR would offer more on the counter than Tadic and JWP. Instructions would be to not over complicate things and simply beat his man on the outside (which would be Delph) and attack with pace. If Sims were about, I'd go for him instead. Same goes for SB (who I think would track Walker back) on the left.

Will be a long night for whoever plays up top, will require a lot of hopeless running and need to be clinical if and when given a chance.

Prediction: 3-0 City.

------------------------------Forster------------------------------

Cedric-------------VVD---------------Hoot--------------Bertrand

------------------Lemina--------------PEH------------------------

------------------------------Davis--------------------------------

---------Tadic----------------------------------Boufal------------

------------------------------Austin-------------------------------

I'd probably keep PEH in. Could be the game to play 3 CBs.

The thing I really, really want to see is no Redmond. The whole spirit of the team seems to lift without him. We didn't miss him. We don't need him.

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk

I'd keep PEH in definitely. If Romeu's going to come in it should be for Davis, who might best be saved for Bournemouth game

Please no last thing we should be doing is inviting City on by playing 5 at the back.

Actually think the opposite, i'd happily take redmond's pace in for Tadic, who is very ineffective in these sort of away games. Though i'd happily take Mcqueen as another option.

I'd give Austin a well deserved rest but try to do a Chelsea vs Liverpool and restrict space around the edge of the box and try to force them to play wide or over the top.

Something like:

------------------Forster----------------

-------Yoshida-----VVD-----Hoodt-------

Cedric-----------Romeu----------Bertrand

-------PEH--------------Lamina----------

-----------------------------------------

-----------Long--------Redmond---------

Get Long & Redmond to press their defenders when out of possession and try to keep it tight.

If we're still in it after 70 mins, bring on Boufal for one of the midfielders (probably Romeu otherwise PEH if he doesn't have the legs after playing on Sunday), Austin for Long and Tadic or Gabbi for Redmond then shift to a 3-4-3 and try to get crosses in where they're at their weakest (relatively speaking).

if City have two minor weaknesses, it is the lack of pace of Kompany and weaknesses defending set pieces.

For those reasons alone I would probably play Long and JWP and save Charlie for next weekend

They may also rest a few. I think KDB and Silva have played every game for them this season

Forster,

Cedric, VVD, Hoedt, Bertrand

Romeu, Hoj

Lemina,

JWP, Gabbiadini, Boufal

Big fan of Austin but save him for Sunday. JWP needs to play, set pieces possibly the one thing we can target.

Yep, this is what I would go with. Solid look about the midfield, which is the only way we will stand any chance in this one. Sensible to save Austin for Bournemouth, though if we are somehow still in the game, bring him on for last 15 to score the winner [emoji3]

Sent from my Moto G (4) using Tapatalk

Forster,

Cedric, VVD, Hoedt, Bertrand

Romeu, Hoj

Lemina,

JWP, Gabbiadini, Boufal

Big fan of Austin but save him for Sunday. JWP needs to play, set pieces possibly the one thing we can target.

Davis will play, as captain and (equal) top goal scorer. Hoj deserves to play based on yesterday but if MP agrees it will be instead of JWP.

It is a squad game nowadays, plus we will need pace and movement to hit them on the break. With that in mind, completely change it up in midfield and up front from Sunday - which will have the added bonus of those guys then being fresh for next Sunday.

---------------------Forster---------------------

---------Yoshida-----VvD--------Hoedt---------

Cedric----------------------------------Bertrand

---------------Lemina-----Romeu---------------

-------Redmond-------------------Long---------

---------------------Gabbiadini-------------------

But it will probably be:

-----------------------Forster---------------------

Cedric------Yoshida----------VvD---------Bertrand

--------------PEH-----------Romeu--------------

Davis-----------------Tadic---------------Redmond

-----------------------Long-------------------------

You obviously did not watch his post match interviews then CB.

He did say in one that 'the tank was empty' when he came off after 80 minutes. That doesn't scream 'two starts in four days' to me.

I'm surprised Ward-Prowse played 90 minutes though. Thought we'd fancy his set piece ability given that's one of very few things resembling a weakness for City.

Just decided to go as work now allows. If I try and book tickets online it says the only option is "collect".

Would this be from St Mary's or at The Etihad? I cant get down to Southampton as don't live close enough so anyone know if they can be collected in Manchester?

Just decided to go as work now allows. If I try and book tickets online it says the only option is "collect".

Would this be from St Mary's or at The Etihad? I cant get down to Southampton as don't live close enough so anyone know if they can be collected in Manchester?

It's St Mary's. They used to bring them up on the coaches, but not any more. No collection St away grounds. Do you know anyone who can pick up for you?

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk