Pellegrino in

Nordic Saint

Today's team selection and woeful effort on the pitch again demonstrates what a great, swollen, syphillitic, purple bell-end of a thread this is....

Crawls out to bump threads rather watch the game. You are the biggest of all cu nts

As I said after the Everton game, the Bournemouth game is the big test. Win that and he'll have won me over.

What if we dominate and our players miss sitters and we don’t win?

Prescient ... having or showing knowledge of events before they take place. :nod: It wasn't a dominating performance but the gist of the comment still pertains.

Today's team selection and woeful effort on the pitch again demonstrates what a great, swollen, syphillitic, purple bell-end of a thread this is....

An excellently understated, well written, balanced view. Entirely based on the facts, and ignoring all ignorance and bias whatsoever. Well done Alps, keep them coming.

Signs of improvement, but the jury is still out as far as I am concerned. How have we got into this position where we are thinking more about avoiding relegation rather than challenging for the top 6 or 8? MP has definitely lowered our expectations. 2 years ago we finished 3 points off a CL place! We are quite capable of beating Arsenal if we show ambition, and MP's team selection will tell us a lot. If he adopts a conservative/defensive line-up and we lose 0-1, then I think he is not the guy for us. MY brother-in-law is a Leicester fan and he is very happy with Puel at the moment.

Signs of improvement, but the jury is still out as far as I am concerned. How have we got into this position where we are thinking more about avoiding relegation rather than challenging for the top 6 or 8? MP has definitely lowered our expectations. 2 years ago we finished 3 points off a CL place! We are quite capable of beating Arsenal if we show ambition, and MP's team selection will tell us a lot. If he adopts a conservative/defensive line-up and we lose 0-1, then I think he is not the guy for us. MY brother-in-law is a Leicester fan and he is very happy with Puel at the moment.

those 3 words sum up every football fan!

wait till it goes pear shaped and then we will see.

• 3 weeks later...
Residual effects from last season :lol:

Are you a believer in post-puel-stress-disorder too, like our quack Glasgow?

Romeu in interviews has spoken about the conservative/defensive tendencies of the manager which would partly contradict your claims.

Be interested to know where you read this, since I've only ever read the opposite.

But in answer to your question, yes, in general terms, I believe it's plausible that the effects of coaching, and confidence/form can transcend one season (although in this instance I was postulating).

Edit: Anyway, I'm 'Pellegrino out' now :D Be interested to hear some of the reasoning from people who are still for him.

Edited by Donatello

Getting rid of Pellegrino right now would be short-sighted and a bit harsh. It has taken him a while to get good performances from the team but for me the team has been performing reasonable since the middle of October (a bit inconsistent though). We've hade som very good performances against Arsenal and Man City but only one point to show for it. Leicester was a low point but the result flattered Leicester, we hade som really big chances early in the match and missed them.

If I had to grade our play (and not the result) in all matches since the middle of October it would be:

Good: Arsenal, City, WBA, Everton (7 points)

Decent: Burnley, Bournemouth, Chelsea, Huddersfield (2 points)

Bad: Leicester, Brighton (1 point)

Awful: Liverpool (0 points)

Our biggest issue is not putting our chances away and conceding from relatively difficult chances from the opposition. Contrary to last year this isn't because were are not getting opportunities in the box. We are just missing rather big chances. Austin is getting a lot of cred for his goalscoring recently but he has missed a couple of sitters too. I think the players are not going to benefit from a new manager with new ideas. We need consistency after two summers with new managers.

In the end I don't think the team is a lot better then it is performing but I do believe that are performances are better then our results. I don't believe changing our manager will get us better performances. I thought firing Puel was a bit harsh but the performances at the end of last season were truly awful. Pellegrino so far has not been close to those performances except for Liverpool and Crystal Palace (that was a horror show we were lucky to win).

I lost you at 'Decent against Huddersfield'

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Fair enough. I'm not saying xG is the answer to everything but look at the shot locations we hade versus Huddersfields.

We should have scored more then one and did a decent job in preventing big chances from them (except for Yoshida losing his man för the equaliser).

DR0FlOSUQAA9Eau.jpg:large

Fair enough. I'm not saying xG is the answer to everything but look at the shot locations we hade versus Huddersfields.

We should have scored more then one and did a decent job in preventing big chances from them (except for Yoshida losing his man för the equaliser).

DR0FlOSUQAA9Eau.jpg:large

The oppo were really poor. But we were worse, and our manager couldn’t see the glaring things wrong, mostly caused by his shocking selections. He also could not see the need to not sit back again and rest on one goal. We were utterly dire

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

So he’s basically blaming the players, saying he is going to change tactics lol, and ‘hopefully’ things will change....

Past commenting on his amateurism now...

My mind drifts off when he speaks. I don't know what he's saying. And it's not about the accent, the words just don't make any sense. How on earth does this boring man motivate a team? I still can't believe we have replaced boring Puel with someone 100 times worse!!! I don't know wether to laugh or cry!!

His comment about the work-rate of the defending against Spurs was laughable. I would have more respect if he said we were absolute sh*te against them and every player needs to up his effort and game or else.

Could only bear to listen for about 2 minutes. Just a load of meaningless soundbites "we must improve leetle by leetle" blah ****in blah. Inspires absolutely zero confidence that he has the first ****ing clue how to sort this mess out.

Getting rid of Pellegrino right now would be short-sighted and a bit harsh. It has taken him a while to get good performances from the team but for me the team has been performing reasonable since the middle of October (a bit inconsistent though). We've hade som very good performances against Arsenal and Man City but only one point to show for it. Leicester was a low point but the result flattered Leicester, we hade som really big chances early in the match and missed them.

If I had to grade our play (and not the result) in all matches since the middle of October it would be:

Good: Arsenal, City, WBA, Everton (7 points)

Decent: Burnley, Bournemouth, Chelsea, Huddersfield (2 points)

Bad: Leicester, Brighton (1 point)

Awful: Liverpool (0 points)

Our biggest issue is not putting our chances away and conceding from relatively difficult chances from the opposition. Contrary to last year this isn't because were are not getting opportunities in the box. We are just missing rather big chances. Austin is getting a lot of cred for his goalscoring recently but he has missed a couple of sitters too. I think the players are not going to benefit from a new manager with new ideas. We need consistency after two summers with new managers.

In the end I don't think the team is a lot better then it is performing but I do believe that are performances are better then our results. I don't believe changing our manager will get us better performances. I thought firing Puel was a bit harsh but the performances at the end of last season were truly awful. Pellegrino so far has not been close to those performances except for Liverpool and Crystal Palace (that was a horror show we were lucky to win).

Decent against Huddersfield and not awful against Leicester? I'll have a pint of what you're on

Ultimately it's not losing to Spurs Chelsea or Liverpool away that'll be his downfall, many will lose to those, although we were beyond pathetic in two of those.

But to get 0 wins from Burnley, Leicester, Huddersfield, Swansea, Watford and Newcastle at home and Stoke, Brighton and Bournemouth away is ridiculous and he should be gone.

I know most don't agree, but I think we have a good manager. Hopefully now VVD has left it has removed a lot of unsettling trouble behind the scenes, and the players will step up and play. It's evident that he hasn't lost the dressing room, and he is not afraid to change things to make it work. He deserves to be backed in the window and given until the end of the season at present.

I know most don't agree, but I think we have a good manager. Hopefully now VVD has left it has removed a lot of unsettling trouble behind the scenes, and the players will step up and play. It's evident that he hasn't lost the dressing room, and he is not afraid to change things to make it work. He deserves to be backed in the window and given until the end of the season at present.

I fully expect McCarthy will now be dropped after his clean sheet - it's the Pellegrino way!

It was a backs against the wall point. Very welcome, but these games won't determine our safety, it will be winning games against the so called lesser teams, and until he proves he can manage that I remain unconvinced. We still can't score, and if we don't solve that we'll be down, just with one more point from tonight than we would have been without.

It was a backs against the wall point. Very welcome, but these games won't determine our safety, it will be winning games against the so called lesser teams, and until he proves he can manage that I remain unconvinced. We still can't score, and if we don't solve that we'll be down, just with one more point from tonight than we would have been without.

Agree fully with that - and why we need an active transfer window, and early on as well.

Don't disagree, I just think he is hamstrung somewhat by the squad he has, and by the issues with VVD, Bertrand, Gabbi etc all wanting out. Not easy to come in and manage all that. He needs to be backed by our black box recruitment system and then given the season to see how he does. He has also been using Stephens, Target and McQueen vs Chelsea, Tottenham and United. None of them are that level of quality (yet). Although it is great to see them in the team and playing well.

Edited by Saint86

I fully expect McCarthy will now be dropped after his clean sheet - it's the Pellegrino way!

Really? when was the last time a keeper kept a clean sheet and he dropped him.

Can't you stop with the sniping for tonight. I doubt if there's one person, even you, who really believes FF will be in nets Tuesday (unless McCarthy is injured). It's less than an hour since the end of the game and we've have the "he'll drop McCarthy joke" from different posters about 6 times already.

Really? when was the last time a keeper kept a clean sheet and he dropped him.

Can't you stop with the sniping for tonight. I doubt if there's one person, even you, who really believes FF will be in nets Tuesday (unless McCarthy is injured). It's less than an hour since the end of the game and we've have the "he'll drop McCarthy joke" from different posters about 6 times already.

No way will he drop him

Yeah, pretty much this.

I don't think changing the manager is going to achieve much though.

You agree that if we fail to beat Palace then we should sack Pellegrino , but don't think it will achieve much? so what would be the point then? Don't get your logic.

Southampton give Mauricio Pellegrino their 'full backing' despite slide towards relegation zone - @JWTelegraph

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/football/2018/01/03/southamptonchairman-gives-full-backing-mauricio-pellegrino-despiteperilousproximity/

'He's not an excuse guy and we like the human being he is, the coach he is, and the potential for our squad moving forward with him in the lead'

He might be a 'nice guy' but he's a lousy manager. Has Krueger been watching anything?

Heads firmly in the sand and relegation looking like a scary possibility now.

You agree that if we fail to beat Palace then we should sack Pellegrino , but don't think it will achieve much? so what would be the point then? Don't get your logic.

I think we will sack him now.

I don't think it will achieve much. Don't seem to be many good managers about and I think this team won't be relegated regardless.

It's sad, but so much of what I see on the pitch reminds me of 2005. A lack of the basic ability to pass the ball, a total inability to build on leads in the first half & defence/midfield dropping deeper and deeper until we concede until we lose, and a general lack of motivation aomngst the players.

I'm not a fan of sacking managers mid-season but, provided a suitable replacement can be found, I don't see what the alternative is. Last season, we lacked goals but at least Puel had us organised and with hindsight, probably got the best out of the group of players. Under Pellegrino, we are not seeing any improvement.

• 5 weeks later...

That's a 7 match unbeaten we're on run now. We haven't lost a game this year. OK, he's no Pochettino, but I honestly don't think Reed will bring anyone better in if he sacks him. Pellegrino's certainly at least as good as the Pardew and Hughes types and a far more likeable character. His biggest mistake was not playing Austin when he was available earlier in the season. He has been left a squad, which apart from Austin, has no reliable goal scorer up front and that has been the real problem.

That's a 7 match unbeaten we're on run now. We haven't lost a game this year. OK, he's no Pochettino, but I honestly don't think Reed will bring anyone better in if he sacks him. Pellegrino's certainly at least as good as the Pardew and Hughes types and a far more likeable character. His biggest mistake was not playing Austin when he was available earlier in the season. He has been left a squad, which apart from Austin, has no reliable goal scorer up front and that has been the real problem.

He took forever to notice that both Forster and Redmond are tripe though. And to play Lemina. And Boufal. And not sit back on one nil leads. And to make substitutions. But hey.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

We lost to Palace- that was our first game this year!

I am frakly gobsmacked that you resurrected this thread on the back of one squeaky-bum scraped win.

He has a LONG way to go to rehabilitate himself in the fan-bases‘ eyes.

Have a word with yourself...